Day 4

7 Days

a/n: if any legal parts of this story are horribly fake (highly likely since the only knowledge i have are from dramas and my own imagination), please don't hesitate to tell me. i really wish to know and be educated >< 

 


 

It was only six in the morning when Hyukjae was woken up by persistent knocking on the door, and he knew by this sign that it was going to be a long day. 

Grabbing a jacket to protect himself from the chilly morning air, he opened the front door to a policeman holding up his own ID in one hand and handcuffs in another. 

"Lee Hyukjae-ssi, you are being arrested for the murder of Lee Donghwa-ssi. You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult with a lawyer and have that lawyer present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire." He pronounced each word clearly and fluidly, as if it was something he'd repeated many times in his life. 

Somewhat pitiable for the policeman's efforts to finish the whole speech, Hyukjae had stopped listening after the first line. He waited patiently, though, following the other's orders obediently and allowing himself to be driven off without any unnecessary protests or complaints. 

It was only when he had to register with Kyuhyun before getting his phone and other belongings taken away that Hyukjae finally appeared to have a little life within him. 

"I'd never expected to see you again so soon." Kyuhyun scowled from the other side of the table. He went through Hyukjae's basic details again, typing them in just as he had done only a few days ago.

"Looks like even though I can't find evidence of what you did, the security cameras around the crime scene area did." The satisfaction of accomplishing revenge was evident in his eyes. 

"Do you think that's enough to keep me in here?" Hyukjae lifted one corner of his lips. His eyes were glittering with amusement.

Kyuhyun felt a new wave of anger rising. "What are you talking about? With this hard evidence, plus the suspect portrait we received, it's more than enough to list you as a top suspect in the case. Even without a motive, the ones taking this case wouldn't let you go so easily."

"And anyways," He suddenly leaned forward, a triumphant gleam in his eyes. "Looking for a motive won't be hard at all, according to what I know. If you know the victim's brother, how difficult would it be for you to know the victim?" He was full on grinning by now.

"How do you know I" Hyukjae started calmly. 

"Oh, I have my ways." Kyuhyun replied, remembering how he wouldn't give Hyukjae's address to the motel owner unless he told him who it was for. Siwon had been reluctant at first, but the taller man knew that Kyuhyun was the only one who would help him, just to return an old favour. "You'd better get ready, because you have a visitor who wanted to see you the moment he heard of your arrest." He settled again on the back of his chair, saving the file and gesturing that they were done.

Once he was outside the room, Hyukjae could no longer hide the gummy smile which lighted up his whole face.

 

*

 

They had been in silence for at least five minutes now, neither breaking it, simply looking at each other from across the transparent wall in between.

Both knew that one of them was expected to speak up first. After all, it was always the visitor who had things to say, since he must have visited for a purpose. 

But even though that fact was clear, the visitor did not want to talk. He just sat there, with his naturally sad-looking eyes, as if he could convey all his apologies through them. 

Hyukjae did not want to push him. Yet he was stubborn and would let nothing get in-between him and what he wanted. Right now, he wanted to know what was going on in Lee Donghae's mind.

Finally, the younger admitted defeat.

"I'm sorry." Donghae muttered.

Hyukjae didn't know whether he was happy or sad to hear that line. 

"Why?" Are you sorry for making me look more guilty? It's alright, I know you have the evidence. Just give it in and we can

"I actually don't have evidence that can clear your name." Donghae's face was pale.

Hyukjae's eyebrows raised a fraction, but he wasn't that surprised to hear the news. He already knew the person in front of him was caring and loyal, so it was understandable that he'd put his friend before a stranger he'd only met a couple of days ago. But why not tell him the truth? Did he not trust him?

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do." The screams in the audio file replayed in his mind, and he shook his head to chase it away. It did leave; however even more chilling images took their place

A body lying limp on the table, unaware that it was being scrutinised under harsh, bright light. A face, with the features so distorted they were unrecognisable. A silver bracelet that had the letter L engraved in the center. 

Donghae's family's heirloom.

His brother's bracelet. 

Hyukjae watched Donghae's expression change drastically in the last few seconds, from guilt-ridden, to distressed, and lastly harden with determination. He ignored the last few, only concentrating on the fact that Donghae had been feeling guilty, just because he had brought on unnecessary trouble for Hyukjae. 

Did this mean he cared about him after all?

"But then... what's going to happen to me?" Fear flashed across Hyukjae's features. The guilt came back in Donghae as rapidly as it had been replaced.

"I don't know... I'm sorry." He lowered his head. "I didn't know that you would be walking near the crime scene that day... I thought you would have no connections at all to this murder. But... the security cameras caught you, and I'm just really sorry..." His lip had gained colour from being worried between his teeth. 

Hyukjae tore his eyes away from the lower half of Donghae's face. "I trusted you." He accused.

"I'm sorry." Donghae repeated one last time. He scraped the chair back on the floor, standing up to take his leave. "I will try my best to see if I can rescue Eri before anything worse happens to you. She will be able to get you out of here. Hope you... I wish you good luck." He turned around.

"Wait!" Hyukjae sprung up. "You can't leave me like this! What if you don't get Eri back in time? What if you two are still too scared of what they might do to you after she gets them caught? Are you going to let me rot in jail?" He had gained the attention of the guard by the door, but he didn't care.

Donghae stopped walking. He lifted a foot as if to turn around, but at last, he placed it down pointing away from Hyukjae. 

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

The door clicked shut.


*


When Donghae finally lifted his tired body up from the stool he had been sitting for the whole day in, it was already dark outside. His stomach had already growled multiple times in protest, whining to its owner for neglecting its hunger, before it had given up. Donghae checked the time9pm. 8 hours since he'd last eaten or drank anything. 12 hours since he left Hyukjae alone in the cold prison walls. 

The artist ran a hand through his hair, ignoring the flakes of paint he left among the brunette strands. 

Just as he was debating to call for takeaways or make some ramen, the sound of a ringtone caught his attention. He instantly recognised the tuneit was his brother's phone. 

Donghae rummaged through the miscellaneous objects on the table, perplexed as to why the phone of a dead person would be ringing. Furthermore, he was the only person who knew that he was in possession of his brother's phone after the previous owner had forgotten to take it before attending the last meeting of his life.

Finally, he had the thin gadget in his hand, but it was no longer ringing. In Donghae's paint-covered palm, the small phone suddenly beeped, indicating a new message received.

Warily, Donghae slid it open, then stared speechlessly at the contents of the text message. He didn't even have the mind to wonder who it was from, or why they had sent it to him.

It was an image. Of a piece of paper. The photo was not of high qualityit was blurry, evenbut Donghae could easily make out what was printed at the top in clear, cold characters.  

 

 

Name: Lee Hyukjae.
Charge(s): Committing murder of Lee Donghwa.
Plead: Guilty.

 

 

*