Day 3

7 Days

Kyuhyun did not realise someone was already in the room when he entered; the shock made his hand jerk and spill scalding coffee onto his thighs. He ignored the burning pain, deciding it more important to interrogate the man sitting on his chair inside his office. 

"What are you doing here again? How did you get in?" He demanded, remembering that he had definitely locked his door the night before. 

The man did not answer him. He simply studied Kyuhyun from head to toe, adding a sliver of intimidation amidst the officer's annoyance. 

"Sir, I don't know how you managed to get in here but if you do not exit immediately, I'm afraid I will have to you out by force." Kyuhyun had walked closer to the sitting male, and only then registered that his laptop was open. 

"What are you doing with my laptop" he stopped with the motion of the other standing up as their faces were now only inches away.  

"I tried to find something but I couldn't get in. Will you help me?" The words seemed innocent; the look in his eyes revealed otherwise. 

Kyuhyun was not one known for his patience. "Alright, I'm going to have to arrest you for likely criminal mistreatment of government property, and misconduct towards a government officer." He reached behind to take out his handcuffs. "Now turn around with your hands behind your back, and"

This time, it wasn't the actions of the other which made him stop talking. It was the familiar feeling of a cold circle, pressed lazily against his side. 

Kyuhyun froze, not daring to make any further movements. Time ticked past as a million thoughts flew through his mind, trying to explain the situation and find a way to get out of it. 

The man holding the gun smirked, guiding Kyuhyun to sit down in his chair. His whole demeanour had changed, and only now did the officer sense how dangerous of a situation he was in. Subtly, he tried reaching for the alarm button under his desk. 

The gun pushed harshly on his ribs, forcing him to give up on the button and support himself with that hand on the armrest of the chair. , he thought, his brain immediately thinking about a plan B to escape from the man and ideally capture him. 

"Don't try any funny business. Trust me, it would do you no good." His voice was close to mocking. "Now unlock the laptop, and navigate to where all the files are stored for crimes that have happened in the past week."

"No." Kyuhyun stated. 

The standing male raised an eyebrow. "No? Do you think I'm just playing with you?" He pointed the gun at the sofa and pulled the trigger, hearing the expected thud of a shot muffled by the silencer. 

This time, he pointed it to the side of Kyuhyun's head. "Hurry up, I don't have all day." 

"No." Kyuhyun repeated. He turned his head around, letting the gunpoint move to the center of his forehead, looking directly at the man. "I won't. You can shoot me. Do whatever you like. But I won't do it." His voice was firm and unwavering. 

The other sighed. Suddenly, he retrieved the gun and leaned back on the wall. 

Pretending to inspect the cool end of the barrel, he let out an off-hand comment. "Do you play computer games, officer?"

Kyuhyun frowned, a chill creeping into his spine. He didn't know what the other meant by that, and it was almost frightening. "What does that have to do with anything?" He calculated the possibility of disarming the man from where he was right now. It was acceptably high. 

Just as he was going to attack, the next words made him freeze in absolute, raw fear. 

"Oh, I just thought, since your little girl always likes to play on her computer after she finishes school at 3, her appa might have been the influence of that." His lips curved into a grin, cheeky and triumphant. 

"You..." bastard. Kyuhyun finished in his mind. "Don't you dare"

"That will depend on if I can get what I need today." The man finally looked at Kyuhyun, unaffected by his raging eyes that obviously wanted to tear him into two. "So, officer Cho, what do you say?" 

The sitting man had his lips pressed into a tight line as if fighting a battle with himself. After a few long seconds, he turned back to the front and unlocked the laptop with previously white knuckles. 

"Good boy. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" The man chuckled softly, abusing his newfound power. "Now, to the crimes in the past week...."

Kyuhyun had to take a deep breath in order to stop himself from lunging towards and choking him, not caring how he'd probably sacrifice a shot in the arm for the action. 

"Now what." He asked through gritted teeth.

"Now, open the first file, and scroll down the first page slowly." His tone had dropped, indicating a more serious attitude. 

Kyuhyun did as he was told, trying to guess what the man had come for. 

"Ok, go to the second one, and do the same." He commanded.

They repeated the process for around half an hour, going through every single crime under Kyuhyun's care in the past week until the man finally announced that he was finished. 

"Thank you, officer. You were a great help to a civilian in need today." A grin spread across his face, coupled with an additional relief that had appeared after browsing the files. 

"All you need to do now is stay in here quietly for another ten minutes, then you can start your day's work just as usual. I wish your little girl all the happiness in the world." The last smile he gave was genuine. 

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes. "Aren't you scared that I'll arrest you afterwards? You can't harm anyone if you're locked up in a cell." He hissed.

"That's true." The man feigned agreeance. "But you'll have to let me go in the end anyway... because you don't have any evidence apart from your own insubstantial words." 

He flashed him a blinding smile, and then he was gone.

In less than five minutes, Kyuhyun ran out of his office, still confused with a bad feeling about what the man had meant. As expected, the other was nowhere in sight, so the officer went straight to the security room to gather the security tapes that would have captured himconcrete evidence which would imprison him for good.

But after minutes of locked eyebrows and unrestrained curses, he gave up. No matter where he looked, he couldn't find the man. It was as if he had simply materialised inside his office, (which did not have security cameras to protect information for privacy reasons), and then disappeared into thin air after leaving the room.

Who was he? Kyuhyun slumped back sideways in the chair, a hand on his head to support his frenzy of thoughts. How did he manage to do this, and why did he want to read all the files on my laptop in the past week?


*


Behind the building, a man jumped down a narrow window and greeted the blonde waiting with his hands behind his back. 

"Leeteuk! Great, I need to ask you about some things..." He took over the jacket and sunglasses he was handed, putting them on just in case someone would recognise him. 

"Long time no see, Lee Hyukjae-ssi." The man named Leeteuk bowed respectfully, before joining the other to walk towards his parked Maserati. 

"I've told you, you can just call me Hyukjae." Hyukjae sighed, allowing Leeteuk to open the door for him, knowing he'd never hear the end of it if he had done it himself. 

"It is a tradition to always treat the Lee family with respect, Lee Hyukjae-ssi. The old master Lee would be disappointed if he knew that the tradition was almost dying in the younger generations." Leeteuk shut the door and went over to slide into the driver's side.

"Grandpa doesn't care," Hyukjae rolled his eyes, "all he's interested in is how his precious son is doing." His expression turned hard.

"How he's ed up everything." He added under his breath.

Leeteuk did not reply, or he pretended not to hear, and only started driving Hyukjae back to his apartment. 

"Anyways, the thing I wanted to ask you was, I found out that someone was killed in a painting forgery deal because he couldn't get the goods across on time. The location of the incident is in an area under your control, since it's near our headquarters. Do you know what I'm talking about?" Hyukjae asked.

Leeteuk nodded. "Yes, I was present at the meeting. I remember we captured a girl too. But"

"That's great!" Hyukjae cut him off in joy. "See, the girl is a friend of my friend... that's the artist who was supposed to create the forgeries. He's really worried about her, and I was also. But now that I know she's in your hands, I'm reassured because nothing bad will happen to her." The last part was more of command than a statement, and something flashed in Leeteuk's eyes.

"Understood, Lee Hyukjae-ssi."

The rest of the ride was mostly in silence, with Hyukjae humming a tune softly under his breath, and Leeteuk keeping the same neutral, serious expression.

"Wait, there's also something else. The artist told me he's got evidence that we killed his brother. Do you know what kind of evidence it is?" Hyukjae turned to Leeteuk again.

Leeteuk considered for a short while, then replied, "It must be a phone message history of when we communicated with his brother before the meetup. They'll be able to find other information using the phone number and bank account we gave him."

"Oh..." Hyukjae sank into silence. He bit down on his bottom lip, eyes looking left and right.

At last, he grinned, a plan forming in his mind. 

"Ok, Leeteuk, I want you to do some things for me......"

 

*