Angel

Kookie and Blank JI

"Jong kook, this is your newest assignee, the head angel passed the particular to Jong Kook. He took a look, and nodded indifferently to the head angel. He stepped aside and let the next angel through to receive his assignment. The head angel looked at the the leaving Jong Kook and shook his head, Jong Kook was a warm and friendly angel to those who knew him but he was also indifferent, that made him the ideal candidate for all difficult assignment. The head angel turned his head to the crying angel before him, one that was deeply affected by his last assignment, the head angel.sometimes wished Jong Kook would break down once in a while, so he could release some of his stress from all the assignments.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Jong Kook arrived where his latest assignment, Cheom Seong-Im was, he thougt she had a lovely name. He looked at her, he would be her guardian angel until she could resolve her feud she had with her dying mother, letting her mother to leave in peace and for her, most important, to regain her own peace. The assignment however was vague what happened after that. He knew asking the head angel would be useless, sometimes life worked in mysterious way. He shrugged his wing, then slowly descend beside the woman!

 

Then he felt her glance on him, then she was looking beyond and he turned his head and saw what she was looking at, a human named Gary.

 

“Hi there, Seong-Im,” Gary greeted Seong-Im warmly. She returned a smile and they chatted all the way to their office. Jong Kook was beside them observing the conversation. From his experience, it seemed Gary was interested in Seong-Im but she just treated them as friends. They soon parted and Seong-Im entered the department where she worked.

 

“Morning, Oppas” as she greeted the three person in her department. The three of them, Suk Jin, Jae Suk and Haha, greeted back warmly.

 

“How your weekend,” Jae Suk asked.

 

“Well, it just another boring weekend, “Seong-Im laughed dryly as she answered.”But thank god, we did not overtime, that’s more than enough for me.” she didnt added that she secretly visited her mother in hospital. She really could not bring herself to forgive her mother who left their family for her dream. Her father had understood her mother needs but not her brother and her. She remembered her childhood filled with her classmates teasing about been a motherless child. Even now she could not understand the logic of her mother choosing career over family. Now her mother was stuck in hospital, dying from cancer, and pleading for her forgiveness. Why now, she wondered and could not help sighed, she was in dilemma, on one hand she wanted to forgive her mother and spare her more miserably but on the other, she could not forget the years her classmates taunted her and how other adults had looked at her.

 

“Seong-Im, Seong-Im” she finally broke her trance, Jae Suk was calling her to attend a meeting and she quickly followed him. Jong Kook saw what went through her thought, and gave a sigh, his assignment did not looked simple, he quickly followed her, he needed to understand her more before really began his work. Humans are hard to understand, he always thought and this girl maybe the hardest of them all yet.

 

Finally, she lied in her bed, tiredness from the day had claimed her and she fell into an uneasy sleep. The angel, beside her, flew closer to her, in bid to get rid of her nightmares, the ones that were troubling her, to let her have a good night sleep, it worked, and her brows loosen. He took a good look at her, she did not looked so hard hearted, in fact, her heart shape face spoken of soft core, he had already seen examples of her helping the helpless, childhood trauma was always hard. Her soft lips whispered, “Mum” and tears slid down her face. He realised in her heart, she did wish to be reunion with her mom, it would make his job easier, he just need to convince her to forgive.

 

Jong kook knew what he had to do, tomorrow, he would be her new colleague, someone to help her along. He reported his plan and immediately everything he needed materialised before him. He was to be a stand-in for someone who went for her maternity leave, he gave a smile, the mother needed the leave. He looked through his “worldly” belonging and frown, the clothes were not in his favourite colour, he gave them a thought, and instantly, turned to mostly black suits with the occasionally white shirt. Well, who said angels must like white, he was a black angel.

 

The morning came and he put on his black suite and kept his wings, it was big normally but when he was a human, he would fold it neatly under his clothes. He materialise a block away from the office and walked casually into the cafe where Seong-Im usually picked up her coffee. He nearly bumped into her, he gave her an apologetic smile, which she returned a “it ok” smile. That was their official first encounter.

 

Jong Kook found himself beside Jae Suk as Jae Suk introduced him to the rest of his new colleague, Seong-Im’s eyes lit up, she had recognised the polite man from the cafe. Jong Kook gave a nod. Jae Suk requested Seong-Im to show Jong Kook some of the work processes, since Jong Kook will be helping Seong-Im most of the time.

 

“Hi, I am lucky i didnt make a mess just now and left a bad impression.” Jong Kook said.

 

“Well, lucky for me too, someone did not ruin my day” Seong-Im teased Jong Kook. Both of them broke up into a smile, Seong-Im somehow knew he was someone she could trust and work with. By the end of the day, Jong Kook prove himself and did not let Seong-Im down.  That started their working relationship and by the end of the week, Jong Kook found that he knew more than Seong-Im than he can imagine. In 2 weeks, he had earned Seong-Im’s complete trust. Consider he been angel and Seong-Im is quite trusting, the job is actually easy.

 

He would need to stage a meeting when she visited her mother, given the trust she had in him and how she feeling, he had a 80% chance that she would open up to him, but staging the same trick .. well, he was not left with much time.

 

He ran into her literally, he was avoiding a wheelchair when he bumped into her. Both were surprised to see each other. “Hello there,” Jong Kook greeted Seong-Im. “I was visiting my uncle who had a heart attack”, as he pointed to where his “uncle” was.

 

“Well, i am visiting my mum who is inside,” Seong-Im did not choose to lie, it did not feel right to lie to Jong Kook, it made her feel bad.

 

“Oh, then go in then, i won’t disturb you.” Jong Kook turned to leave, but he felt a small hand grabbed his arm.

 

“Come in with me!” demanded Seong-Im, she needed companionship, the man before her was the most suitable. Jong Kook rose his eye brow but didnt comment when he saw the trouble face of the woman. He nodded and Seong-Im immediately pulled him into the room.

 

Her mum broke into a smile when she saw her daughter, her smile grew wider at the sight of man that her dear daughter was hanging to. She was happy her daughter had finally found someone, and she had even brought him to see her.

 

“Hi, Seong-Im, “ her mum spoke first.

 

“Hi..: Seong-Im stuttered, then she remembered she needed to introduce Jong Kook. “This is Jong Kook.”

 

“Hello,” Jong Kook greeted Seong-Im mum. Seong-Im didnt specified their relationship, he didnt clarify either.

 

“We are going to a movie nearby and we happen to have some spare time so I thought to drop by and say hi but time flies and we now to rush.” Seong-Im explained in bullet train speed.

 

Jong Kook gave Seong-Im’s hand a pat. “It’s alright, we still have five minutes to spare, you can talk slower” he tried to calm her down while giving the meeting more time. He had a mysterious effect  on her, his gentle pat slowed down her heart and she found she could breathe again.

 

“Really, I was to anxious.” she laughed. “Jong Kook working in the same company as me.” she explained more, somehow, talking about Jong Kook worked better than she tried to talk about herself. She started to think introduce Jong Kook to her mother. Her mother would occasionally ask some questions, and the mother and daugher managed to have a conversation. Jong Kook touched Seong-Im gently to remind her the time. “Oh my, this time we really have to go. I see you soon,” she was unwilling to commit a time but her mum face already showed satisfaction.

 

Both Seong-Im and Jong Kook walked silently out of the hospital, Jong Kook was the first to break the silent, “How about a cup of tea?” he asked and Seong-Im agreed, they went into the nearest cafe which was not crowded. After they received their drinks, they managed to find a seat at a corner.

 

“Thanks for your help just now.” Seong-Im said after sipping her Americano. “I hadnt had the courage to walk into the ward alone. I dont know what to say and …” she stopped as she couldnt find a suitable word to explain her current situation. Jong Kook patiently waited for her to continue.

 

“I. .. I have not spoke to my mom for 10 years and the last conversation we had, i basically shouted at her and left her. Actually, she had left me 20 years ago but she wanted to reooncile with me and my brother but we couldnt find it in us to forgive her.” she paused. “Now she is in her last day of her lifes, but i still hadnt figure out what to do.” a tear slid down.

 

“Maybe you already have an answer.” Jong Kook said as he handed her his clean handkerchief, “Maybe life is not so complicated after all. Belief in your self,” he gave an encouraging pat. “Maybe you had already forgiven her” she looked up in shock and met with Jong Kook eyes. Somehow he was correct. She had forgiven her mother.

 

Her tears dropped more, “i had wasted so much time and she didnt have a lot left,”

 

“Then what are you waiting for?” Jong Kook asked. “Go back and we should spend some quality time together, and we should start with forgiveness.”

 

“You mean I will be telling her i forgive her?” she said in shock. “But I am not really yet”

 

“Well, dont worry, i will beside you.” he reassured Seong-Im, Seong-Im nodded, feeling more reassurance with Jong Kook beside her. Jong Kook looked at the feisty girl beside as they walked back to the ward, in this two weeks, he had come to like the girl, her fighting spirit, her positive outlook in life, her gentleness towards other living beings, her cheerfulness, her love for life, he knew she just need a little nudge.  He wondered why didnt any male fell in love with the girl  That little thought actually stirred something in his heart, something he could not put his fingers on.

 

When they reached the ward, Seong-Im saw the doctor were covering up her mum, she immediately rushed into the ward, asking what had happened, the doctor explained that her mum had a sudden relapse and could not pull through. Seong-Im tears flowed, she could not believe her mum did not wait for her to made amends and left her without saying good bye.

 

Her tears hurt Jong Kook, he never felt hurt by tears before, but Seong-Im tears left scars on his heart. He had to do something, something he had never done in his career as angel. He wished to turn back time and allow Seong-Im and her mum to meet one last time, so that Seong-Im will live without regrets. Jong Kook knew that it would not be free and traded one of his wings for his wish. He could grow back his wings when he helped enough people, he consoled himself.

 

The head angel felt he had to grant Jong Kook wish, although it was not his role, he put in his own recommendation and Jong Kook’s was fulfilled, he found that in their little corner, time was turned back before Seong-Im’s mum passed away, Seong-Im was in time.

 

Seong-Im rushed to the side of her mum, wanted to make amends. “Mum, Mum. I love you, i wanted you to live so i could spend more time with you, whatever happened in the past, it was ok. Mummy .. “ she rushed all the words out, her mum looked at her and smile, she was totally at peace now, both her son and daughter forgave her, she did not have any regrets now.

 

She gently patted Seong-Im’s head, “Thank you my dear, I love you too, i love your brother and I love your father. My regrets is that I did not spend too much time with you all but your forgiveness made it alright.” she smile, feeling her breathe getting swallower. Her heart suddenly stop beating and alarms came from all the equipment. Seong-Im was stunned and could not react, doctors and nurses rushed in to help but it was in vain, Seong-Im’s mum did not pull through.

 

Tears dropped from her eyes, this time she just felt she did not spend enough time with her mum, and yet, she was happy they made amendments and both could move on with their lives. Jong Kook knew his mission had succeeded and soon he would leave this woman. His heart felt stabbings again, he could not understand why was he feeling this way, she was not the first person he left.

 

He quietly accompany her out of hospital after they completed their paper work, he kept the woman in his embrace so that she could lean on him for strength. He then sent her to her house, she invited him into her home, he figured it would be good to keep her accompany some more.

 

“Oppa, thanks for today, it is not you, i would be full of regrets and so is my mum.” she said.

 

“Dont mention it.” jong Kook said, hugging the woman more. Seong-Im was playing with one of his hand.

 

“Oppa, I felt you are special, I am glad i know you now.” Seong-Im uttered, he could only smile. They stayed seated till Seong-Im fell asleep and he carried her to her bedroom.

 

Seong-Im was evidently having a dream, her arms came to his neck and she uttered, “Jong Kook Oppa, I love you”

That few little words shocked Jong Kook to the core, she could not fall in love with him, he was not human. He quickly put her down and turned to leave, he needed to leave her alone. “Jong Kook oppa, please do not leave me,” she was wailing now and tears dropped from her eyes again. Jong Kook wanted to embrace her, to tell her he would be here forever, but he knew that would be lying.

 

He looked at the weeping woman again, he knew what he needed to do, he made his final wish as an angel, the wish that he would make her forget who he was, all the rest of memories stay but the memories of him and her would not be there anymore. He felt his second wing disappeared and now, he was an angel no more, he felt his legs slowly disappear, but he had no regrets. He spent his last moments studying the woman, he knew what was the feeling called now, it called love and to be able to make his love happy, he was happy, he wished she would be happy and someone would love her as long as she lived.  With that wish, he completely disappear,

 

The head angel felt a tear slid down his face as he felt Jong Kook disappearing, this was not what he had wanted for Jong Kook, he only wanted Jong Kook to be more involved. He turned and saw all memories of Jong Kook erased from earth, he gave a sigh and whispered good bye to the angel.


*This just popped up in my mind and I had to write it down. Sorry, if it make you sad again.*