Chap 3: I Can't Take It Anymore

The Bittersweet Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was another day of Running Man shooting. All the members gathered at Mokdong SBS Building for the briefing and opening of the show and this time it was a “12 Hour Food Challenge”. When they entered a room, there were various types of foods on the table. Before the show even started, they had been asked of restaurants that they will recommend. The task was to go to all seven restaurants within the 12 hour given.

And then they were asked to write a punishment for each member if they failed to complete the mission. Jong Kook sat next to Ji-hyo and kept hitting Ji-hyo’s knees with his knees under the table where no one noticed since everyone was busy talking. Ji-hyo can only smiles alone without looking at Jong Kook and tried to focus on her paper. Once in a while she will try to hit Jong Kook’s knee’s back.

Everything was good for Jong Kook until Jae Suk suddenly came up with a punishment for Ji-hyo which he wanted Ji-hyo to shoot ‘We Got Married’ with Gary. And suddenly everyone supported Jae Suk’s idea and the room got noisy with laughter and cheers. Gary on course liked the idea and couldn’t stop smiling about it. He even asked the producer to find a tiny apartment to shoot ‘We Got Married’ with Ji-hyo so that they can be close to each other.

Everyone was happy because of this topic except for Jong Kook who pretended like he’s happy too. He gave his bittersweet smile while no one knows that he’s hurting inside. Hearing Ji-hyo’s laughter of happiness because of the member’s idea about her and Gary pained him more. Ji-hyo sounded so happy. And starting from that time, Jong Kook didn’t talk so much anymore.

 

The first place they went was a spicy beef noodles soup restaurant in Samseong-dong. When Jong Kook entered the restaurant and saw Ji-hyo sitting with Gary, he quickly sat at the other end next to Haha. Suddenly everything seemed wrong to him. He even started to feel sick and he didn’t know if it’s because of his feelings or what. After finished eating at the first restaurant, they went out to get into their car. Ji-hyo tried to walk with Jong Kook when she noticed Jong Kook looked quiet than from the beginning.

“Are you okay?” she asked secretly.

“I’m fine,” Jong Kook answered, expressionless.

“You don’t look fine, oppa. Are you sick?”

“Stop it, Ji-hyo ah. Just walk faster before someone look for you,” Jong Kook couldn’t hide his frustration.

“Huh?”

Before Ji-hyo get her answer, the PD stopped them and told them that they need to ride in two separate cars. Haha and Kwang Soo chose to ride in one car and Jong Kook offered to join them. And Ji-hyo was asked by all members to take the same car as Gary. Ji-hyo felt awry knowing that Jong Kook is already upset with her. But she’s also angry at Jong Kook for pushing her away all of sudden without discussing about it. So she planned to be happy with Gary in order to punish Jong Kook. She happily entered the car with Gary.

 

They went to another restaurant which was recommended by Gary and later preceded to Kwang Soo’s house for food delivery. While everyone was having their fun teasing Kwang Soo about his house, Jong Kook laid down on the couch since he suddenly feel worse than before. Ji-hyo saw Jong Kook’s condition and worried about him but she couldn’t go to her boyfriend and check on his conditions all of sudden. Everyone especially Gary will surely questioned her concern for Jong Kook. So Ji-hyo tried to distract herself by chatting with the others.

They ordered chicken kalguksu and asked Gary and Ji-hyo to prepare it, sort of pretended like they were shooting mini ‘We Got Married’ at Kwang Soo’s house. Since Jong Kook is still sleeping, Ji-hyo didn’t mind playing along with Gary. They acted like they were in the show with Gary calling Ji-hyo his wife.

By the time Ji-hyo served the food, Jong Kook is already awake. He stared deeply at his lover without Ji-hyo realizing it.

(You look like you’re prepared to be someone’s wife, Ji-hyo ah. I hope you’ll be serving me, your husband in the future.) Jong Kook talked to himself silently.

Seeing Jong Kook looked a bit better, Ji-hyo decided to serve him.

“Here’s a chicken for Jong Kook oppa,” she said.

But Jae-suk suddenly responded that he’ll take it instead making everyone laughed including Jong Kook. Ji-hyo slightly pouted since she really wanted to serve her boyfriend but Jong Kook gave her a smile signing that it’s okay, Jae-suk can have it. Feeling much better with Jong Kook’s response, Ji-hyo finally gets to enjoy the food like others.

After finished eating, they pick their ‘chance’ for the next task. Ji-hyo picked it and it was a ‘separation chance’. It means that they could split into two groups. They decided to send a pair to Jeju Island while the rest completed the remaining task together. Jae-suk suggested that they pick sticks and whoever picked Jeju stick will do that task.

Gary was the first one to pick Jeju stick and everyone was hoping that he will go with Ji-hyo. Jong Kook started to feel uncomfortable, same as Ji-hyo. Ji-hyo didn’t have any problem to go with Gary actually coz she’s professional in work but knowing Jong Kook’s mood has been upside down, she definitely wants to avoid further crisis with her boyfriend.

But as if it’s her fate with Gary, Ji-hyo did pick the Jeju stick which means she will be going to Jeju Island alone with Gary while other members stays. Jong Kook’s smiles faded little by little when he started imagining that his girlfriend will be alone with someone who has crush on her. Of course there’ll be other crews with them but still, Gary can just try to seduce Ji-hyo while they were alone.

Hearing how happy Gary was that he gets the opportunity to be alone with Ji-hyo really changed Jong Kook’s mood. He kept quiet again and forced his smiles so that no one will realize his bitterness. And seeing the members support for Gary and Ji-hyo to go dating at Jeju Island make him felt worst. But no one noticed Jong Kook’s behavior since he was sick earlier.

When the members chat in the car, Jong Kook kept focusing on his mobile phone. He’s still thinking if he should text Ji-hyo or not. Yes he’s hurt with all the fate between Ji-hyo and Gary but still, he’s worried for his girlfriend.

Once they reached a barbeque restaurant, Jong Kook quickly send his text message to Ji-hyo before their mission starts.

Jong Kook       : Ji-hyo ah, did you have your flight ticket now? What time is your flight? It’s probably snow in Jejudo so don’t ever take off your jacket, arachi?

Jong Kook waited for a bit for Ji-hyo’s reply but there was none. And since their mission started, he needs to focus on his mission.

 

When Ji-hyo and Gary arrived in Jeju Airport, it was snowing and the clouds turned dark abruptly. Gary decided to call other members and inform about their condition. The members were already at an eel restaurant doing their next mission. Gary made a video call and all the members could see them including Jong Kook. Gary told them that there is a possibility they got stuck if the flight was cancelled due to snow storm and Gary is obviously happy in the video. Jong Kook on the other side was feeling the opposite with the news. He was worried. So worried.

After completing the mission at the eel restaurant, on the way to the next venue, Jong Kook secretly send another text message to Ji-hyo.

Jong Kook       : Ji-hyo ah, is everything okay over there? Please take a good care of yourself okay? Don’t be outside too much and make yourself warm. But, I hope you won’t need Gary to warm you up. Gosh! I hate this feeling, Ji-hyo ah. Can you just text me back? I really need to read something from you....please Ji-hyo ah...

While Jong Kook was waiting for Ji-hyo’s reply, again Gary make a video call to Haha and showed them sort of ring that proof something between him and Ji-hyo. Jong Kook didn’t look at it but hearing all the conversation already frustrated him. Here he was worried about his girlfriend when she’s actually having fun with Gary. Jong Kook was deeply hurt.

Although he was hurt, he send one last text message to Ji-hyo.

Jong Kook       : Just come back safely, Ji-hyo ah. Take care!

After that he shut his phone and tried to finish the mission. He just wanted to go back as soon as they finished.

Once completed, they met Gary and Ji-hyo who arrived safely outside the airport for the closing of the show. Jong Kook was relieved to see Ji-hyo in front of his eyes and that’s enough for him. If Ji-hyo hadn’t come back, he won’t be able to sleep tonight.

 

When the shooting wrapped up, Jong Kook quickly go to his car and asked Gap Jin, his manager to drive off.

“What’s with you, hyung?” Gap Jin asked once he drove off.

“Just drive, Gap Jin ah,” Jong Kook replied, already closed his eyes.

“You don’t look good. Are you sick? Should we stop at the hospital or get some medicine for you?”

“I have it at home. I just wanna lie down as soon as possible, Gap Jin ah.”

“Hyung, you hardly get sick. If you are sick now, then that means it’s not something light. Let’s just go and see the doctor, hyung.”

“I’m fine, Gap Jin ah. It’s probably because of the cold weather as well. The weather kept changing rapidly so maybe my body couldn’t get used to it. But don’t worry. I’ll be fine after some rest.”

“....Should I call Ji-hyo and let her know about this? Maybe she could come over and....”

“Don’t tell her anything, Gap Jin ah. Don’t contact her at all.”

Gap Jin sensed something’s not right from Jong Kook’s expression.

“Did Ji-hyo caused this?”

Jong Kook lowered his cap so that it covered his eyes and tried to sleep.

“Wake me up when we reach my house, okay?”

And he dozed off just minutes later.

 

Gap Jin woke him up when he arrived at his house. He said thanks and just walked in without talking with Gap Jin further. He just wanted to lie down right now. He didn’t have the energy to think about anything anymore. His frustration, his bitterness; everything has been mixed up and drained his energy. So he just wanted to sleep and hoped tomorrow will be different for him.

But, it looked like it may take some time before he could finally sleep since someone rang the doorbell at his house. Feeling lazy and weak, he forced himself to get off the bed and walked to the door.

He was shocked when he saw Ji-hyo in front of his house from the screen monitor. He was torn between feeling happy to see his girlfriend and sulky for everything that happened that day. But since his love was more than anything, he couldn’t just leave Ji-hyo outside in the cold. He quickly opened the door and stood in front of Ji-hyo in frown.

“Ohh…oppa….” Ji-hyo greeted while opening her shoes.

“What are you doing here, huh? Didn’t I tell you not to wander around in this weather? You could get sick easily, Ji-hyo ah,” Jong Kook nagged at his girlfriend.

But Ji-hyo simply walked inside with smiles.

“But now I’m not the one who is sick, right? Hehehe….”

“Still, why are you here? We’ve had a long shooting day and you’ve even travelled to Jejudo in cold weather. Why don’t you rest at home?”

“Because I love you, Kim Jong Kook,” Ji-hyo answered without hesitate while placing the plastic bag that she brought with her on the dining table.

Jong Kook was stunned with Ji-hyo’s answer.

(How could she be so bold this girl….aishhh…)

“Oppa, go and sit on the couch while I prepare this for you okay?”

Jong Kook didn’t want to comply with Ji-hyo at first but he was too tired to fight right now. So he just followed the order and sat on the couch at the tv room.

Ji-hyo came in later with a tray of foods.

“Chang-chang!” she sang along while walking in.

Jong Kook still didn’t say anything. He let Ji-hyo finished her works and settle down next to him, then only he starts talking.

“What’s all this?” he asked.

“It’s for you, oppa. You are feeling sick, so I brought this herbal soup for you. It’s good, oppa. You need to take this.”

“I’m not sick, I’m just tired.”

“I know. But take this first before you go to sleep, oppa.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter