Last Christmas

Scribbles of emotions

Hyejin hummed a melody as she did a last check around her studio apartment, making sure she has closed everything she’s supposed to. Putting on her winter coat over a short-sleeved shirt she donned on, Hyejin went out of her apartment and closed the door, listening to it locked automatically. Whistling softly, she walked towards the lift and texted to the person that she’s meeting.

 

I’m out of the house. Will reached your apartment in 5.

 

-Hyejin

 

Hyejin tucked her hands into the winter coat and entered the lift. She stared at her reflection that was on the lift mirror for a while, noticing the solemnness flashed across her face before she shook it off. She zipped up her coat and exited the lift before walking to the apartment building that was across hers.

 

“Hi!”

 

She greeted with a cheerful smile and watched as the smaller girl looked up from her cap.

 

“Hyejin!”

 

Wheein greeted with a faint smile and Hyejin tried to keep her smile as cheerful as possible.

 

“Let’s go before we’re late for the movie.”

 

She said as she turned and walked towards the bus stop. Wheein followed beside her and there was a comfortable silence between them. She stole a glance at Wheein who was looking ahead with a poker face and tried to stifle the sigh that was about to come out.

 

A year ago, the Jung Wheein that she knew was bubbly, happy and a lovable girl. She made everyone laughs everywhere she goes and it’s just hard for people to not like her. But, it changed ever since last year’s Christmas Eve.

 

Jung Wheein fell in love.

 

She fell in love with a senior of theirs.

 

The senior was very nice and showed a lot of affection to Wheein too.

 

This ambiguous feeling lasted for about 6 months between them that everyone around them encouraged Wheein to confess her love to the senior.

 

But Hyejin kept her stance quiet.

 

She knew she’s not in a position to say anything.

 

Not when, she knew she’s most likely to say things that are ugly.

 

Because… who would like to say anything about love to the person that they like but it’s only one sided.

 

Wheein confessed on Christmas Eve to the senior, during one of the party. The senior laughed at the confession and accepted it.

 

It was supposed to be a happy occasion.

 

Only that, it wasn’t.

 

The senior had never like Wheein in that way before.

 

She accepted it because she doesn’t want to embarrass Wheein and herself on the party.

 

So, on Christmas day… last year, Hyejin found herself consoling a crying and heartbroken Wheein.

 

Ever since that day, Wheein was no longer the Wheein that Hyejin knew from middle school.

 

She was often moody, quiet and solemn.

 

It took a long time for Hyejin to put the broken pieces back slowly.

 

It took a long time for Hyejin to make Wheein laugh and play cheekily like she would before the heartbreak.

 

But Hyejin knew Wheein would slip back in the solemnness after a while.

 

And honestly, it’s tiring for Hyejin that she would sometimes find herself sitting or being around a moping Wheein without any response.

 

She would sit and watch.

 

She would wonder.

 

Why doesn’t Wheein see that she’s just in front of her?

 

Why doesn’t Wheein see that Hyejin could love her better than anyone else?

 

Why doesn’t Wheein sees?

 

“That movie was so funny! Hyejin ah!”

 

Wheein commented as they exited the theatre, moving towards the entrance of the shopping mall.

 

“Y – yeah.”

 

Hyejin replied absentmindedly. Honestly, she did not really watch the movie with her full attention.

 

“You okay?”

 

Wheein asked as she moved in front of Hyejin and looked at her face closely.

 

Hyejin took a step back and nodded her head with wide eyes.

 

“Yeah, of course.”

 

“But you look so tired ever since I saw you just now… you know, we could go back home and rest? You don’t have to force yourself out with me today if you’re not feeling well.”

 

Wheein said as she clutched onto the sleeves of Hyejin’s winter coat.

 

And let you stuck in the bad heartache memory alone at home?

 

Hyejin thought to herself.

 

“I’m not. I’m totally fine. Plus, it’s Christmas day! What are we suppose to do at home if we don’t go out?”

 

Hyejin replied and tapped on Wheein’s nose, who let out a smile immediately. Wheein moved to the side of Hyejin and slipped her arm around hers.

 

“Maybe, we could go home and watch movie in our warm heated apartment?”

 

Wheein suggested as cold winter wind blew towards both of them the moment they stepped out of the mall.

 

“But we can’t order grilled intestines to eat if we stay at home.”

 

Hyejin retorted back when she remembered the reason they chose to go out today it’s because Wheein has been bugging to eat her favorite grilled intestine for a week.

 

“We can eat pizza!”

 

Wheein replied cheerfully and looked at Hyejin with a dazzling pair of eyes but only to receive a pair of deadpanned eyes back.

 

“Are you serious? After bugging me for a week? You said we can order pizza now?!”

 

Wheein cracked out loud in laughter at Hyejin’s response. The sound of Wheein’s laughter brings a smile on Hyejin’s face slowly and before long, both of them were laughing at each other’s laughter.

 

When both of them managed to calm down from their laughter, Wheein locked her arms around Hyejin and dragged the girl down the road to the grilled intestine’s restaurant.

 

They managed to clean out their meals within an hour, with much laughter and teasing of each other.

 

Of course, that’s with the help of some alcohol.

 

For some reason, Hyejin was happy.

 

Not because of the alcohol, but because she felt that the Wheein she knew has came back.

 

The cheeky, playful, happy, bubbly and lovable Wheein is back.

 

But that happiness did not last long.

 

While walking down the street after their dinner, Hyejin watched as Wheein’s happiness faded off from her face when they passed by a busker that was singing Christmas song on the streets.

 

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart

But the very next day, you gave it away

 

It enraged Hyejin that she tried to pulled Wheein away.

 

“Come on, why are you listening to this song?”

 

“Because I like it.”

 

Wheein replied quietly as she stood rooted to the ground, eyes trained on the busker that was singing her heart away.

 

“Why would you like this kind of song? It’s Christmas, we should be listening to Jingle bells instead!”

 

Hyejin muttered and tried to walk away.

 

“Because…”

 

“Because what? It sounded like your life?”

 

Hyejin scoffed and watched Wheein looked into her eyes seriously.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Wha -?”

 

Wheein held onto the sleeves of Hyejin’s coat and looked at the taller girl quietly.

 

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart but the every next day you gave it away. This year… to save me from tears, I’m giving to someone special.”

 

Wheein sang along with the busker and as she ended her sentence, she tiptoed and planted a soft kiss on Hyejin’s lips.

 

“It sure sounds like my life, doesn’t it, Ahn Hyejin?”

 

Wheein asked softly to the stunned Hyejin.

 

“I’m giving my heart to someone special this year… and that special someone is you, Ahn Hyejin.”

 

Wheein confessed gently with tears creeping up in her eyes.

 

“Thank you for patching my broken heart back slowly and patiently with your love.”

 

“Thank you for always standing by my side without giving up.”

 

“Thank you for not being angry with me when I know you are, especially when I slip back to the moodiness from times to times.”

 

“Thank you for –”

 

“Thank you for loving me back.”

 

Hyejin cut Wheein off before pulling the smaller girl into her arms.

 

“Thank you for loving me, always.”

 

Wheein whispered against Hyejin’s lips before closing onto them.

 

 

It takes a long time for Wheein to see.

 

It takes a long time for Wheein to know.

 

It takes a long time for Wheein to realize.

 

But to Wheein, it doesn’t matter how long it takes for her to find her someone special.

 

Because, they still have a long time to love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Merry Christmas to everyone! Hope everyone likes it! :D