Marry Me.

The Tyrant King's Wife

 

“I am Min Da-Gyeong, the daughter of Eo Eun Min Je, from the Min Family in Hwangryeo,” she offers, armed with a polite smile.

“I am Yi Bang-Won, the fifth son of Hwaryung Booyoon Yi Seong-Gye, from the Yi Family in Jeonju,” replies he, young face stern with determination.

Yi Bang-Won, she pictures, would be shorter than her and perhaps a wiry looking boy. One that went around, hiding behind his father’s armour, as he walks the streets.

The boy in front of her, standing, dressed immaculately sharp. This Yi Bang-Won bore no similarity to the image she had conjured up. Tall, lean and every bit of a seasoned warrior’s son.

“Sit down please.”

Time was of the essence, he dives into the meat of the issue. Provides her with three solid reasons for a union. Confidence seeping into his tone. Or was it arrogance?

Were those his own words? Or simply him parroting the words of his elders? If so, did he not foresee the flaws intertwined with those three reasons? Or does he simply did not care?

“I heard everything well, but allies between the families is not possible.”

A polished smile on her lips could only go so far, when the boy from Jeonju’s brows twitch in dismay.

“I gave you three reasons to why we should hold hands. Nothing comes to your mind?” Impatience resonating crystalline in his un-childlike voice, not the way a younger boy talk to a girl of seventeen.

She counters those reasons easily, exposing the flaws in the reasons they trusted, “The first thing you mentioned, that your family controls the land in the northeast side. That is an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time. It means that your family has no power if you leave the northeast side.”

Not a twitch of the lips, or the wrinkling forehead on his rather plain and pale face. His eyes cast downwards only momentarily, as if he’s humouring her, giving her words some thought.

“Second reason, you said you will rule over everyone without gaining help from anyone else. If that is true, then there is no reason for you to come us.”

“What about the third one?” The one question his curiosity bubbles, that his expression shifts just a little from the emotionless mask he’d put on. “The family of Hwangryeo Min can easily control our family.”

“What do you think about that?”

The boy’s filled with imprudent ideas. Wasn’t he the only child of General Yi Seong-Gye who made it to Sungkyunkwan? Or has the elders occupied his thinking with theirs, instead of him coming up with his own?  

No family with the power to change the political landscape, equipped with military prowess, would submit easily to a family like hers. Even if they were to admit to such possibility. Willing to hand in the metaphorical reigns to the Min Family.

In fact, families like the Yi are worth-watching for. They are wilder than the wild horses trampling grassy northeastern fields. One could never be too sure that taming was such an option.

“The reason is so embarrassing that it is hard to answer,” Da-Gyeong opts for humility, “But since you guys brought that up, it seems like your family is a very hard family to control.”

The conversation naturally needed to end. Yi Bang-Won had spoken of all his intentions, offered her a union that came too late. Prolonging a failed negotiation, wouldn’t do them good.  

“Therefore, we will not hold hands with your family. I have to leave because there is something important to do,” such as finals preparations before she joins the Hong Family, “Please tell your elders everything well. Then excuse me—”

The finality of her rejection doesn’t sit well on this younger boy.

“Your Min Family cannot read how Goryeo is moving or—” His cracked voice (puberty took its time with him) hitches dramatically, emphasising words like it means something “—are you like this because you guys are scared of Hong In-Bang?”

She would have laughed at the absurdity of the last line. Only that it held a grain of truth. If he wished to see her falter, he would have to try again. His outburst reminds her of Mu-Gu’s many tantrums.

Yi Bang-Won proved to be the boy of his fifteen years of age after all.

Still, her smile remained etched on her face, the Min Family valued politeness over confrontations. Even so, she replies, “Such discourtesy.”

“You received marriage request from the Hong Family, right?” Desperation oozing out, as he attempts to keep her engaged in the stale talk.

“That is something that does not matter with your family.”

“Marry me,” Bang-Won demands, not even masking his plea with false humbleness. She couldn’t read, if he had intended to shock her with his offensive move.

People of noble births. People of considerable background and reputation. People like him and her, are born with every luxury imaginable except to marry for love and on their own will. Their futures lied in their parents’ decisions and the matchmakers. To ask directly at her for marriage, was simply a breach of etiquette.

It is a line he crossed too far. “With me. Let’s marry.”

“You went over the limit,” congeniality in her voice lost.

“There are no families that would play around with Haedong Gapjok, Min Family of Hwangryeo. I’ll tell you again,” he makes no pretence to not instructed her, sarcasm hanging on to the first word for fake consideration, “Please marry with me.”

“There is already a marriage request, so—” Her voice meek, “How can I reject that and marry you?”

Yi Bang-Won is a boy who wouldn’t accept no for an answer. That is obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes.

“If, there is a way to make the marriage with Hong In-Bang like it never happened with no commotion,” his thick red lips quirk upwards, his brow partially rise knowingly. The look of a confident young man, not a boy.

“And there is a way for us to marry,” he continues, holding the metaphorical ball in the court of battling wits, ensnaring the attention she isn’t willing to spare him, “Will you marry me?”

And she can’t help to feel that flickering hope growing stronger within her.

“Is there a plan like that?”

“Yes, free love. We’ll spread rumours that you are having a scandalous affair with me. That we met outside during nights.”

It clicks in her mind, synapses firing at the speed of light, and the sheer potential of it floods her. “When Hong In-Bang arrives, I am to proclaim my love to you.”

It was a brilliant play, unorthodox but it could worked.

His brows furrow slightly, his smirk grows wider. “When that happens, it’s all up to you and your family to deal with this disgrace.”

“I am free of Hong In-Bang’s proposal.”

He nods, satisfaction sits on his face, like he had won this round of faux-intellectual battle.

“Free to marry you.”

“That is the plan.”

Perhaps, she had written him off earlier than she should. Behind that youthful face, lies an intelligent boy, willing to go above the norms to achieve results. This is a boy that bore the mark of Sungkyunkwan’s teachings. He might be just the person worthy of being her political ally.