01

A Rewritten Romance

chapter01;
_______________________________________________________________________________   
                                   "I'm really grateful for your help."

 

“Hello, Teacher Jung?” A woman in her late 20s, dressed in a blush pink dress greeted politely as she answered the phone with a small smile, “Has Eun Jae been naughty? Is that why you’re calling?”

 

 

The woman on the other end let out a small laugh, “Not at all, Ms Park. Eun Jae has been wonderful. He is such a lovely boy, very polite too. He gets along well with his classmates too. Not to worry at all.”

 

 

“Ah, that’s good to hear.” Ji Ae’s eyes watched her son seated opposite her with a smile on her face as he enjoyed the ice cream in his hands. 

 

 

“I have called to inform you, the school would be having a Sports Carnival this coming Sunday. The thing is.. It is a father and child carnival.. I understand that..” The teacher spoke carefully in a slow manner. 

 

 

Ji Ae’s smile fell upon hearing it.

 

 

Father and child carnival. 

 

 

“I see,” She replied slowly, “Eun Jae must terribly want to go for this carnival, since it’s the first the school is organizing.” 

 

 

She heard the teacher on the line sigh softly, “Yes, I thought so too. I understand the situation you are going through, Ms Park.. However, it is your decision on whether you want to sign him up for the event.. Maybe, if you have a brother or any male friends, they can-“

 

 

“Okay, I understand.” Ji Ae chewed her lower lip and gently ruffled her son’s hair, “I’ll call back soon to inform you. Thank you, Teacher Jung.” 

 

 

“Mummy!” 

 

 

“Yes, Jae ah?” Ji Ae picked up a tissue and bent down to wipe her son’s stains on his T-shirt left by the chocolate ice cream. 

 

 

“Teacher said that the Sports Carnival is this Sunday. It is a Father and Child sports carnival. Can I go for it? Everyone else is going..” Eun Jae looked up at his mother and asked hopefully. 

 

 

Ji Ae stared into her son’s large eyes that looked so eager. She sighed softly, as she picked him up into her lap. “Mummy.. Mummy will think about it, okay?” 

 

 

“Okay, Mummy.”

 

 

Thankfully, Ji Ae is blessed with a 4 year old who is obedient and understanding. These years, it hasn’t been easy raising Eun Jae alone as a single mum. She has been working two jobs to make ends meet for both herself and Eun Jae. Raising a child as a single mum at just 25 years old, Ji Ae have had to deal with all sorts of criticism, or sometimes, even pity. People would cast her weird looks  upon knowing that she’s a single mum at such a young age, while some would cast her sympathy looks and praise her for being such a brave lady. Thankfully, most of them would not pry to know about the father of her son. 

 

 

She finds herself speechless whenever they ask about him.

 

 

Him, 

 

The father of her son,

 

The man that used to be the love of her life,

 

 

Eun Jae noticed that whenever he asks about daddy, mummy’s smile would fall, and she would turn sad. He learnt not to ask too much about his daddy, because he hated seeing Mummy sad.  

 

 

Just then, the bell of the café rang gently and in came a dashing young man, dressed neatly in a white button down tee and jeans. Grinning, he approaches Ji Ae’s table as he waved, “Eun Jae! Uncle Yi Xing is here! Look what I got you.”

 

 

“Uncle Yi Xing!” The 4 year old jumped out of his mummy’s lap eagerly and ran into Lay’s arms where he lifted the little boy up into the air. Eun Jae let out an excited squeal and grinned widely as he hugged on tightly to Lay, admiring the new toy given to him. 

 

 

Smiling, Ji Ae tilted her head and looked gratefully over to Lay, mouthing “Thank you.” 

 

 

“So,” Lay sat himself and Eun Jae down beside Ji Ae, “How’s my pretty princess and shining knight doing today?”

 

 

Chuckling, Ji Ae lightly punched Lay’s chest, “Hey, thanks for coming. Eun Jae was just whining about how much he was wishing to see you. Did you, Jae ah?” 

 

 

“Uncle Yixing is the best!” Eun Jae smiled, “Mummy, look at this toy! It’s so cool!”

 

 

“You shouldn’t have,” Ji Ae handed Lay a drink, “Our house is already piling up with toys given by you.. You’re gonna spoil him at this rate.” 

 

 

“He deserves to be spoilt anyway. I treat him just like my son.”

 

 

“And that’s why he loves you more than me,” she joked laughing, “I’ll get some ice cream for you. Chocolate chip, as usual right?” She spoke as she got up from her seat, walking to the counter.

 

 

“You know me best!” He grinned.

 

 

“Hey little one, so how’s it going for school?” Lay patted his hair.

 

 

“Uncle Yixing, can you become my daddy?” 

 

 

Lay almost choked on his water, “W-What? Is everything okay? Did someone bully you? Why are you suddenly-“ 

 

 

“There’s a school carnival for us and our Daddy this Sunday. Teacher Jung called Mummy just now to ask, but mummy said she will think about it.” Eun Jae looked up hopefully into Lay’s eyes, “Uncle Yixing, could you please go with me this Sunday? Please?”

 

 

“Pleaseeeeeee?”

 

 

“Of course, little one,” Lay smiled back at the boy in his arms, “I’ll let your mummy know okay?” 

 

 

How can he ever reject Eun Jae? Lay has always treated Eun Jae like his own biological son. It all began a few years ago, when Ji Ae was queuing up infront of him to pay for groceries and she did not have enough cash to pay up. In order to save Ji Ae from getting further humiliated by the storeowner, Lay had offered to pay for them. Since then, Ji Ae had felt incredibly indebted to Lay for all of his help after getting to know her. 

 

 

There’s just something about Park Ji Ae, which made Lay want to protect her since the day he first met her. It wasn't just because of the tiny baby bump he noticed on the 21 year old lady, whose smile warms his heart every time she thanks him. After getting to know her and her story, Lay and Ji Ae started hanging out more frequently and he even recruited her to work at his company while she was desperate for more jobs. Soon enough, they become closer friends, who were always mistaken to be a family whenever Lay brings Ji Ae and Eun Jae out. 

 

 

On the other hand, Ji Ae had always been extremely grateful for Lay who has entered her life 4 years ago. She has always seen him like a brother, who was always there to protect her, making sure she and her son were able to live comfortably. He was always there whenever she needed someone. Lay had offered to get Ji Ae a bigger house, but being the independent young lady she is, she wishes to do it all by herself with the money she earns from work.

 

 

Breaking Lay from his chain of thoughts, Eun Jae grinned and hugged the man happily, “Yay! Thank you, Uncle Yixing!” 

 

 

“Here’s your ice cream, Mr Zhang.” Ji Ae sang as she plopped herself back down into her seat, handing Lay his ice cream. “Enjoy!”

 

 

“Mummy, I need to use the toilet.” Eun Jae said as he climbed down from Lay’s embrace, “Wait for me here, okay?” 

 

 

“Yes sweetheart. Do you need me to accompany you?” 

 

 

“No! I’m a big boy!” With that, Eun Jae ran off.

 

 

Lay and Ji Ae both chuckled and shook their heads. 

 

 

“Ji Ae, so.. I heard about the carnival from Eun Jae. He asked me to attend it with him this Sunday. You’ll sign him up right?” Lay took a small bite of his ice cream, glancing over at Ji Ae.

 

 

“Jae sure is excited about that.. Fancy approaching you about it even before me..” She smiled. Lay noticed that behind her eyes, there was a tinge of uneasiness and worry. 

 

 

“You know, I can never say no to him.”

 

 

“But if you’re busy, it’s okay.. Jae would understand. I know you’re busy these days, Yixing. That’s why I wasn’t sure if-“

 

 

Lay shook his head. One thing he absolutely loved doing was spending time with Ji Ae and Eun Jae. “Jae needs this. I’m sure he will feel upset if is he unable to turn up, seeing all his friends going. I’m going to make sure he attends this. No worries, Ji Ae.”

 

 

Sighing, Ji Ae smiled at the man. Ever since Lay found out about her past, he was always there to lend her a helping hand even when she never asked. He never fails to make her feel contented and lucky, for such a good friend like him. 

 

 

“Thank you Yixing, really,” She raked her hands through her hair with a sigh, “For your help these past few years, with the rental fees and all, I’m really grateful.. I can never imagine where Jae and I would be now without your help.” 

 

 

Rolling his eyes, Lay placed his ice cream down and crossed his arms, “Come on, Ji Ae. Haven’t we agreed on this before? You promised to stop thanking me. If you really consider me as a friend, you should stop thanking me for every single small thing.”

 

 

“Besides,” Lay continued as he looked seriously at Ji Ae, “You and Jae deserve the best, okay?”

 

 

 

“Well, Jae and I are really lucky to have you.” Smiling sheepishly, she glanced at him, “I’m really grateful for your help.”

 


 

a/n: hope the first chapter was okay!! pls comment, subscribe and upvote <3 truly appreciate it :") 

x oh0rats