Nefarious

Limerence

 

Nefarious (adj) - Wicked, villainous, despicable

 


 

It does not take long for Kibum to recognize his surroundings when he wakes up. The court physician's office is beginning to become familiar to him, though that is probably not a good thing. His eyes blink at the brightness coming from the window beside him, his brows furrowing at the wet cloth on his forehead, that falls into his lap as he sits up. His head is pounding softly, making him want to lie down to sleep again, but he forces himself to shake it off and look around the room. It's empty, though the physician's study is filled with books and jars of spices and herbs. He removes the blanket over him, throwing his feet off the bed and taking a deep breath when he feels the dizzyness as he attempts to stand up. This is one of the moments he hates his magic, because he knows he can heal almost any wound or injury, but he cannot heal himself. 

He grabs the table for support, letting out a soft groan at the pain, looking around for any water to drink that might help his headache. A sudden pop in the air makes him groan again, as he turns to the unhappy look on Taemin's face.

"Are you alright?" The elf asks, his arms crossed over his chest, his brows furrowed. 

"No, though I would be better without an extra voice in my head." Kibum mumbles, making the elf sigh.

"I am being serious. You have never reacted to a vision like that." Taemin says with an annoyed huff.

"Because the only visions I have had was of small things, like thieves hiding in the bushes or a new baby being born to the closest family. It has never been like this, I do not even know what I saw." Kibum says and sighs. 

"But it was about the prince, right?" Taemin asks. 

"Yes, that much I am certain." Kibum mumbles with a shaky breath, having a bad feeling. He knows the vision was not a happy one, or it would probably not have hurt taht much or drained his energy.

"It must be about the attempts at taking his life. You know who it is Kibum, we both know you do. The moment the General said his name you knew it was true, why can you not just say it?" Taemin asks, his voice impatient and he glares at Kibum. 

"We do not know for sure, it may be another kingdom." Kibum argues, though he knows it's futile. 

"You know Kwan, he would do anything to have more power, now that you are gone he has no weapon to take it by force, so he must take it by killing the heirs." Taemin says angrily, half shouting which does not help with Kibum's headache. This whole conversation is only making it worse.

A crash breaks the tension in the room, and Kibum turns sharply to look at the prince's confused look and the broken plate of food now shattered on the floor. "Y-You know Kwan?" Jonghyun asks confused. Kibum's eyes widen in shock, dread filling his bones as he tries to say something, though the right words just won't appear. "You knew it was him, y-you..." Jonghyun looks so confused and betrayed, probably thinking up all the wrong theories while Kibum tries to find his tongue.

"This is what happens when you do not tell them the truth, I told you t-" Taemin's words are cut short by the cold glare Kibum sends his way.

"SILEO!" Kibum barks, Taemin's eyes widen as he opens his mouth to protest though no sound comes out. Kibum walks closer slowly, ignoring the prince for a moment to look into the elf's eyes. "You may not die of old age Taemin, but you can die from my fire. I know you do not wish to hurt me, but your actions speak otherwise. If you honour your life. Leave and do not listen to the conversation." Kibum says, his voice low and serious. 

Taemin nods silently, disappearing while Kibum turns around to the prince, the anger fading out at the still frozen look of betrayal on his face. "Jonghyun?" Kibum calls softly, and the prince shakes his head, taking a quick step back but stepping on the spilled food on the ground, falling back. Kibum rushes forward as the prince hits the ground, the sharp pieces of the plate embedded in Jonghyun's hands when he attempted to ease his landing. He hears Jonghyun hiss as he crouches beside him. But when Kibum reaches forward to grab his hand, Jonghyun flinches away. A flash of hurt runs through Kibum's body, but he knows he deserves it. "Let me heal it, then I will explain myself. Please, do not hate me." Kibum whispers softly, reaching forward slowly for his hand. Jonghyun looks hesitant, but gives up as he lays his hand in Kibum's. Kibum moves to sit down, carefully brushing away the broken pieces on the ground around them. He takes a deep breath as he slowly pulls out the piece in Jonghyun's hand, biting his lip at the pain in Jonghyun's face. When all the pieces are out, Kibum lays his other hand ontop of Jonghyun's, taking another deep breath. "Sano vulnus." He whispers, feeling a warmth spread through his fingers, and a relieved smile falling on his lips. He lifts up his hand, seeing the deep cuts are only small scars, he moves to the other hand, doing the same, avoiding the prince's gaze as he focuses on healing all the cuts. He finally looks up, but frowns when he sees a cut under the prince's eye, one he had not noticed. He does not know how it got there, but he carefully moves up, placing his hand over it, ignoring the intense look on Jonghyun's face. "Sano vulnus." He whispers again, feeling the cut disappear under his hand, but he lets it stay as he finally meets the prince's eye. "Do not think badly of me yet, hear me out first." Kibum whispers. "My home village is in Kwan's kingdom, I grew up there with my gandmother. My parents were never in my life. I got a job, at the castle, as a servant." Kibum takes a deep breath, still trying to form the words correctly in his head. "I was overwhelmed by the beauty of everything, by the balls and the paintings and the jewellery. But I was foolish in thinking I could live without anyone knowing of my abilities. It was at that time I met Taemin for the first time. I was in the forest, collecting herbs for the physician at the castle and entertaining my boredom by making flowers grow around me. Suddenly the elf showed up, startling me. After getting over the shock of another supernatural creature, the elf followed me around. Though I was merely a teen, Taemin still appeared like he is today, because he does not age." Kibum frowns, letting go of Jonghyun's face and sitting back, his eyes falling down to his hands. "It was one night, I was out in the gardens with Taemin, the only place we could freely talk, when one of the king's advisors saw me conjure flowers. He reported it to the king too quickly for either of us to realize he had seen us at all. The King was already driven mad, but because of the little knowledge he had with creatures, he believed he could use us for his own purpose, that was why he threatened other kingdom's with a secret weapon. Though he attempted to treat us right, offering us money and fortune for the rest of our lives if we helped him, he became obsessed with Taemin. The elf's youth was something the King could not understand, but he wanted the immortality. He began experimenting on him." Kibum shivers, memories of that time making him nauseous. "When I realized what he was doing to the elf I panicked, I tried to free him, my anger making it hard to control my magic and I ended up killing most of the guards and servants around. They were only following orders." He sighs. "The King was furious, but afraid of what I could do. He let me go, but said I could never return to my home, or they would hurt my grandmother." Kibum leans back more, letting the air leave him as he closes his eyes, calming himself down. Silence falls over them, though neither wants to break it again. Kibum keeps his eyes closed, waiting for some kind of reaction. 

"But, why are you so mean to Taemin? After everyhing you have been through, and you are friends." Jonghyun asks, making Kibum open his eyes. The prince does not look angry or sad, merely curious. 

"I..." Kibum whispers. "I made him forget what happened. He only remember the King finding out about us. The reason I push him away is because I can not look at him without remembering, and it hurts." He chokes down a sob that threatens to come out. 

"Can you not just forget about it too?" Jonghyun asks, moving closer and placing his hand on Kibum's. 

"I can not use magic on myself, it is the only rule of my magic." He says as he shakes his head. 

"I am sorry Kibum." Jonghyun says. "For thinking you were anything other than good." He whispers, squeezing Kibum's hand. 

"You must not tell Taemin, I do not wish him to know." Kibum says as he looks up. 

"I promise. But I do think you should be nicer, he does not understand why you are rude, he does truly want to be our friend." Jonghyun says, making Kibum sigh.

"I should apologize to him." Kibum says with a small nod. "Thank you, I do not understand why you are not afraid or angry with me?" He mumbles.

"Why would I be afraid, you have never shown signs of wanting to harm me, you have been more than helpful, and you had a good reason to keep your secret. I have nothing to be afraid of." Jonghyun says with a smile. Kibum smiles as well, feeling a weight has been lifted from his shoulders. "Now, all of that aside, how are you feeling? And what happened last night?" Jonghyun says, and the smile falls from Kibum's face. The vision comes back into his mind, and he stands up, beginning to pace in the room.

"I had a vision." Kibum says, deciding to be honest since Jonghyun has been so understanding. 

"You can have visions of the future?" Jonghyun asks with wide eyes. 

"Yes, but it rarely happens and I have no control over it. Most times it's because of a touch, or because I am in danger, but they have been minor. This time..." He looks away wtih a frustrated sigh. 

"What was it?" Jonghyun asks.

"It was you." Kibum says as he stops and turns to him. "I do not know what I saw, but I know it was bad. I have never felt pain in my vision, but it felt like I was going to die." He says with a shaky breath. "That was why we were arguing, because we both know it has to be Kwan that is trying to kill you. But he does not know I am here, and I will not let him take over." Kibum says with a frown. 

"So you saw me die?" Jonghyun's voice is barely heard, the prince suddenly looking so small as he sits on the floor. Kibum walks closer, a frown on his face for making the prince look so vulnerable. 

"No, I saw you, and I had a bad feeling. It does not mean death, I would never let that happen." Kibum says with a stern look, trying to get Jonghyun's mind off it. "Now, are there anymore cuts, are you okay?" Kibum asks, noticing once again the broken pieces on the floor. "I will clean up." Kibum says as Jonghyun gets up. "Restituo." He whisper as he flicks his wrist over the broken pieces. They begin to shake as they move, almost like a magnet pulling them together as the cracks disappear until the plate is repaired. Kibum leans down and picks it up, setting it on the table. 

"I will always be amazed by that." Kibum turns at the wonder in Jonghyun's voice, seeing the look of curiousity and awe in his face. He turns away shyly, clearing his throat. 

"I should call for Taemin." Kibum mumbles. "I will return to my room. Would you mind explaining to Jinki that I am alright. My powers are back and I feel fine." Kibum says as he looks over his shoulder to the prince.

"Yes of course. Are you sure you are alright?" Jonghyun asks, the usual worry in his eyes. Kibum has lost counts on how many times Jonghyun has asked him this since Kibum met him. 

"Yes, I am fine." Kibum says, rolling his eyes as he walks out the door. He gives the maids and servants nods as he passes them on the way back to his chamber, in his head he's going over things he can say to Taemin. He wants to apologize, it is not that Kibum hates the elf, when they first met he was Kibum's only friend. But after so many years of trying to make the elf go away because it was painful to look at him, Kibum has gotten so used to being rude that it is hard to do something else. He doesn't like it, he wishes it wasn't like that, but it was Kibum's only choice at the time. He would never tell Taemin the truth, and he couldn't banish the boy away without harming him. He sighs as he opens his door, shutting it behind him and leaning against it. "Taemin?" He calls softly, wondering if Taemin did as he asked and has stopped listening. It is also one of the things he does not understand, how Taemin knows when Kibum is calling his name. 

Silence. Kibum gnaws on his lip, making it swollen and sore, as he rubs his hands together nervously. "Taemin?" He calls a little louder, holding his breath to listen for the familiar pop that comes when the elf appears in the room. When there's nothing, worry begins to rise in Kibum. Had he really upset him? He may have been harsh, but Kibum had been angry, and Taemin had crossed a line. Even if he didn't knew it. 

Kibum groans, hitting the back of his head against the wooden door, the worry and protective feeling he has over the elf making him unrational. He sighs once again as he pushes off the door to grab his cloak, pulling it over his shoulders and pulling the hood on, before leaving the room. Though it's early, he manages to head out of the castle without meeting anyone, and he heads quickly to the stables. Indomitus neighs happily when Kibum arrives with his saddle, making Kibum smile softly. "Hey love, missed me?" He whispers as he saddles him and jumps up. He softly taps the stallion's side to signal him to run, feeling the fresh morning air wisp through his hair as Indomitus gallops into the forest. Though it's still morning, the woods already seem dark when he enters. Kibum aren't familiar with the woods so he signals the stallion to slow down so he won't get lost. The last thing he wants to do is get lost in the woods. Though he has almost ulimited powers, he does not know the incantation to transport himself back to the castle, he usually leaves that to Taemin. 

"Taemin?" Kibum calls out softly as he rides, looking around curiously as he gets a feel of the woods. Last time he was too occupied with the prince to pay attention around him, finally recognizing the energies flowing through the air, moving through the earth and in the water as he passes by a small river. "Taemin?" He calls again, knowing he's far enough from the castle to not worry about anyone hearing him, but he's still uncertain if he's alone. He had not sensed the assassins that night, though he had a bad feeling. He does not want to be ambushed again. 

"Taemin, please come out. I am sorry for threathening you and for taking your voice away. Please come back." Kibum says into the air, hoping it will reach the elf's ears. Though the elf is often angry with Kibum after he sends him away, he would always come back after Kibum apologize. 

Kibum frowns, pulling on the reins and making Indomitus stop. He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes as he listens. 

The soft ripples from the river, the wind blowing through the trees, the birds flying off, and his own breath and heartbeat. That's everything he hears. He sighs, gently through the stallion's white coat as he opens his eyes again. Where could the elf be? 

A rustle in the bushes makes him look around himself, paranoid and suspicious, though he calms down when a bird emerges and flies off. He rests his rising heartbeat, knowing he's being dramatic, but he can't help worry that something might have happened. WHere is he? 

"Taemin?!" He shouts, waiting a few minutes before doing it again.

Minutes turns into hours, as he feels like he's riding in circles, the same trees passing by until the morning sun turns darker. There's still hours until sunset, but Kibum feels he should give up. 

He rides back, surprised at how quickly he gets out of the woods, he would have thought it would take even more hours to get out of his own little maze. He sighs, the air now turning colder as the sun goes down, the sky starting to turn orange in the horizon. He looks over his shoulder to the woods, wondering if Taemin is really angry this time, or if maybe he has just ignored Kibum's calls because Kibum asked him not to listen. Maybe he's playing a prank and is waiting in Kibum's chambers. Kibum tries to keep his mind up as he rides into the stables, jumping of the stallion in his booth and lovingly his mane. "Thank you love, you were very patient with me. Let us get that saddle off, huh?" He mumbles as he begins taking it off. The wind from outside flowing in, rustling through his hair. He stops, taking another deep breath with his eyes closed.

He quickly turns. "Consisto!" He hisses, his cold glare turned to the dark form in the stable. He sees the shadow freeze, and walks over, pulling him into the light. "Who are you?" He growls, glaring into now terrified eyes. 

"J-Joomyun, s-sir." The man stutters. 

"Why are you spying on me, Joomyun?" Kibum asks, calming a little down at the fear in the boy's eyes. He's young, with messy light brown curls, and big eyes. 

"I-I was un-under orders, sir." Joomyun answers quickly. 

"Who's orders?" Kibum asks, though he has a dreading feeling he knows.

"K-Kwan." The boy whispers. Kibum growls, letting go off him as he runs his hands through his hair. How did they find him, he had been so careful. Was it the assassins he had fought? But he erased their memories. Was there someone there that night? 

"Where is Taemin?" Kibum asks as he goes back to glaring at the cowering boy. 

"Who?" Joomyun asks confused.

"The elf, did they take him?" Kibum asks unpatiently.

"Y-Yes, sir." The boy answers softly, and Kibum feels like his world is slowly falling apart.

"You are coming with me." Kibum mumbles. "Dormio." He says, flicking his wrist over the boy as he suddenly slumps, falling asleep. Kibum sighs, running his hands over his face and rubbing at his teary eyes. This is all his fault. He was the one who ran away, but he only brought the danger with him to Jonghyun, and now Taemin is gone, and Kibum doesn't know what to do.

 


 

Wow, long chapter, huh? I'm surprised I could write that much in one setting. I finished this in only a few hours.

 

I hope you like the backstory stuff, I haven't really thought that much about it so there might be some holes or stuff that doesn't make sense. Please let me know if you are confused about something!!

 

Names and incantations:

Sileo - to be silent, be still

Sano vulnus - heal wounds

Restituo - repair, restore

Consisto - stop, stay

Dormio - to sleep, slumber

(We know by now all the incantations are in Latin, right? XD )

 

I really hope you like it :D Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think!

 

Thanks bye

chu~~