Evanescent

Limerence

 

Evanescent (adj.) - something that vanishes quikly, something that lasts for a very short time

 


 

Kibum smiles brightly when he hears the melodious ringing of a bell as he enters the tailor shop. The weather is clear and bright and warm, making him appreciate the soft breeze that hits him when he enters. The sunlight from outside shines off of the fabrics lined on the many tables in the shop, beautiful blues and sparkling gold that draws his attention. Though he's always been one for wearing black to hide his appearance and not draw attention on his travels, he's always had a fascination for colors and clothes. His pale skin are a sharp contrast to the dark red silk under his fingers, it feels so soft. 

Suddenly, a sharp pain, a spark. Kibum retracts his hand with a hiss, brows furrowing in confusion at the pain in his finger. What was that?

"Hyung!" The smile returns when he sees Kyungsoo's eyes widening in surprise and the smile forming on his lips.

"Good morning." Kibum says with a small chuckle. 

"How are you? It has been a while!" Kyungsoo asks as he walks closer. 

"I am feeling much better, thank you." Kibum answers with a small sigh. 

"Are you...." Kyungsoo's words fade away as he blushes. "What I mean to say is, with no disrespect, but did you.....tell him?" He ends with a soft whisper, making Kibum chuckle again. He always finds the tailor so adorable for being so pure and gentle.

"Yes I did, and you do not have to be hesitant to ask me anything, Soo, we are friends." Kibum says and he can feel his own happiness bubbling inside and ready to burst. He's been wanting to tell someone for days now.

"Of course, but tell me, what did he say?" Kyungsoo asks as he guides Kibum over to a table in the back to sit. 

"Well...." Kibum begins before he explains everything that happened, though he skips some details from their argument that involves Kibum's powers. Throughout the whole story Kibum is certain Kyungsoo's eyes are about to pop out and when he tells him about the kiss he sighs and leans back in his chair. 

"I do not know what to say really.....congratulations, I am glad you have found your happiness." Kyungsoo say with a fond smile. "How is your friend? Have you spoken with them?" He asks after a while, and Kibum's smile softly falls. 

"I am not certain if things will ever be as they were before, but yes, we have spoken a little. At least he is not ignoring me anymore." Kibum says with a relieved sigh as he thinks back to the few times Taemin has acknowlegded him in the halls or said good morning at breakfast. Kibum had even asked him how he was doing and Taemin had, though short, responded. Kibum tries to think positive, that all they need is a few weeks and maybe if Kibum tries to apologize once more now that Taemin is a little calmer, maybe they can figure it out. Kibum doesn't want them to just move on and just put it in the past, because Kibum did a really horrible thing, and if Taemin can't forgive it and can't forgive him, Kibum will just have to live with it. 

"Give it time, in the end he will see you never meant to harm him. I know you are a good person Kibum, and he will see it too." Kyungsoo says as he places his hand over Kibum's. 

"Thank you, it means very much to me." Kibum says softly. He's grateful that from one of his random acts of kindness he's earned someone he can lean on in a time when he thought he had no one. 

"So, was there a reason you came here? The suits are not ready for the ball yet." Kyungsoo asks, leaning back again. 

"Not at all, I simply wanted to stop by, the castle can be a little too much sometimes, and even after just 4 days since the Prince and I.....kissed, I believe his protectivness of me has doubled." Kibum says with a laugh. Kyungsoo chuckles also.

"I can believe that, but will he not look for you now then?" He asks.

"He has training with the soldiers, where I am guessing Jongin is as well?" Kibum says with a smile. "I am so glad you talked with him, he seemed so sweet and excited when I mentioned your name that day I met him." Kibum teases, earning a blush from the young tailor. "How are you two doing?" 

"We are doing fine. He is still busy with his training and I have the shop to maintain. He told me it would be a good idea to hire someone to work with me, but I am not sure." Kyungsoo says as he glances slowly around the room. "It has always been a family business, my grandfather has worked here so many years without help and I do not know how he would react." He adds gently.

"But you should not have to do all this work alone, you have a right to be free and live your life as well. You grandfather should be happy to see his grandson happy. I think Jongin's idea is good." Kibum says. 

"Are you sure?" Kyungsoo asks timidly. Kibum nods his head firmly with a smile. Kyungsoo looks a little hesitant but after a few seconds he nods as well, mostly to himself. "Alright, I will do it." He mumbles.

"I should most likely go back, their training will be over soon and dinner will be served. Perhaps I will see you again soon. Do come visit me if you are ever at the castle. And I would love to see the suits before the ball." Kibum says as he stands up. 

"I promise I will visit. Have a good day." Kyungsoo says as Kibum walks to the door, and the tailor waves goodbye as he walks down the street.

 


 

Kibum walks mindlessly through the market on his way back to the castle, eyes following the busy people heading through shops and to their homes, but his head is busy thinking about other things. After the kiss, he and Jonghyun hadn't really done anything, Kibum was too busy reading in the King's library and the prince was busy with his training. But they did meet up in the evening, mostly in the gardens, to talk and just be together. Kibum loved it, to have someone to lean on, someone who just wanted to be with him. The best thing was that Jonghyun knew everything, Kibum had nothing to hide when he was with him. 

The only thing he was hiding now was his fear. 

He still hasn't used magic since he gave Taemin back his memories, and the energy is building up again. Kibum can feel it hissing under his skin. It's still small enough that Kibum can go about his day and ignore it, but it's growing. And Kibum is fearing when he has to use magic again. Will it be the same as last time, that he will just have to let out the energy? What if he forgets? What if he hurts someone? There's so much that could go wrong, and he has still not found any answers in the books. The book of dark magic is still a puzzle to him. He's been wondering why the King even has it. But all he's seen are strange rituals and spells of torture that makes Kibum sick. The other book, the book of law, is the complete opposite. Kibum feels like he has both sides of a coin, but he doesn't know which side has the answer.

"Kibum-sshi?!" At the sound of his name being called he looks up in surprise, meeting the kind face of the prince's servant as he runs towards him.

"Leeteuk-hyung, it is nice to see you. How are you?" Kibum asks as he walks closer.

"I am fine, thank you. I come because the prince has asked to see you." Leeteuk says, a little out of breath as he leans over.

"Is his training over already?" Kibum asks as he starts heading towards the castle. 

"Yes, and it seemed urgent." The servant says as he picks up his speed. Kibum nods and follows after him. It doesn't take long before he sees the towering gates and the guards are letting them inside. "He said he would be in his chambers." Leeteuk says before bowing and disappearing down a hallway. Kibum huffs and runs a hand through his hair before starting the way to the prince's room. The way Leeteuk was talking it's sounds important, so Kibum walks quickly, feeling nerves starting to spread like electricity to his fingers. 

When he reaches the door he doesn't bother knocking, knowing the prince won't mind. But upon opening the door he finds the room empty. "Jonghyun?" Kibum calls out, walking inside and checking the bathroom, but there's no sign of him. He frowns as he turns to the door to maybe see if he's in the throne room. Why would he tell Leeteuk he would be in the chamber when he's not there.

A mop of dark hair meets his eyes as he walks out of the room. 

"Taemin!" Kibum squeeks, still not able to speak normally to the elf. 

"Oh, hi Kibum." Taemin mumbles, his feet hitting the ground from where he had been levitating a second ago. Still barefoot and dressed in simple clothes, the elf looks as beautiful as always. Though his expression is always dimmed when Kibum is around these days.

"Uhm..." Kibum rubs his neck awkwardly. "Have you seen Prince Jonghyun?" He asks gently. 

"The King wished to speak with him." Taemin answers politely before starting to walk away. Kibum huffs in confusion, what does the King want with Jonghyun? 

"Thank you!" He manages to shout before the elf disappears behind the corner. Kibum decides to think about that problem later and heads towards the throne room. 

He can hear voices before he even reaches the room, and stops when he hears the prince's shout.

"You have no right!" Kibum frowns, he's never heard Jonghyun sound so angry before.

"I am your father, of course I have the right!" Jaejoong shouts back. 

"This is unfair, it is my life!" Jonghyun growls, letting out a frustrated groan. 

"I do not know why you are getting so upset, you have known about this since you were a child. I am simply saying it is time." The King says with a sigh. 

"But..." Kibum can't hear the prince's words, and leans closer to the doorway. 

"Eavesdropping is never a good idea." Kibum hides the yelp behind his hand when he voice reaches his ears and he turns to find Minho smirking at him. 

"I am not eavesdropping." Kibum argues with a huff, though his cheeks blush from getting caught doing just that. 

"I do not think you have to, from how it sounds, Jonghyun would want to talk to someone about this. If you just wait he will probably tell you." Minho says, glancing into the room with a serious expression. From the way he talks it sounds like he knows more than he's saying. 

"Alright..." Kibum says slowly, stepping away from the doorway. "If you see him, can you say I will be in the gardens. He always feels better out there." Kibum says with a sigh, also glancing into the throne room where the two royals are still going at eachother's throats. Minho nods and moves away so Kibum can walk towards the exit.

The sun is starting to set when Kibum reaches the gardens, and the spot where they always sit and watch the stars. The wind is picking up, making Kibum shiver as he sits down, and it sweeps through the flowers around him. He follows a few petals that was picked up by the wind, watching them twirl and loop around eachother until the darkness of the oncoming night devours them. He sighs, hoping Jonghyun is alright. 

He doesn't know how long he sits there, only that it's dark when he hears footsteps approaching. For a second he thinks it might be Minho coming to say Jonghyun went to his chambers to sleep or that he rode away on Aranea in anger, but he relaxes when he sees the prince approach. 

"Hey." Kibum whispers when he's close enough to hear. The prince won't meet his eye, but sits down quietly beside him, only sparking the nerves in him. "Are you alright?" He asks worriedly, placing his hand on Jonghyun's arm. 

"I am fine." He answers softly, but Kibum can hear the roughness in his voice from the shouting. 

"I came looking for you, when you were not in your chambers. I heard you....arguing with the King." Kibum says, trying to step gently in fear of him getting angry again. "Do you wish to talk about it?" He asks.

Jonghyun huffs, his shoulders sagging and his head bent downwards. "Father was saying it is time.....for me to face my duties as heir." Jonghyun starts, his hands tightening to fists infront of him. "To find a queen..." He adds with a sigh. 

Kibum pulls back his hand, turning forwards. 

He's stupid. He should have seen this coming. He did see this coming, but then Jonghyun had said all those things and Kibum had thought that maybe....just maybe they had a chance. But of course not. He said it the first time he started feeling that way towards the prince, it would never work out. And now he's too far gone because he didn't listen, and it hurts. 

"I understand." Kibum answers with a whisper, knowing Jonghyun doesn't have a choice. 

"No you do not." Jonghyun says, lifting his head to look at him. Kibum can finally see the tears threatening to fall. He moves closer again, his hands coming up on instinct to dry away the tears. "I do not want to find a queen. I just want....you." Kibum's hands stop as their eyes meet. His hands are cradled around Jonghyun's face, thumbs resting on his cheekbones. Jonghyun's eyes are gently sparkling from the moonlight, the tears falling freely. 

"Jonghyun...." Kibum whispers, not really knowing what to say. Honestly he feels close to tears himself. He can't imagine only a few hours ago he was talking to Kyungsoo about how things were going great, and now this happens. "You-You do not have a choice." He tries, drying away the prince's tears. "I knew all of this would come, I knew it would not last." He says, feeling his own words stab into his lungs until he can't breathe. 

"No, I have a choice. I choose you." Jonghyun says and shakes his head. His hands come up to cover Kibum's. "We could run away, we take Aranea and Indomitus and ride off. Tonight. No one would know." He whispers hopefully.

"Jonghyun, no." Kibum sighs, moving closer to lean their foreheads together. 

"Why? Do you not want to?" Jonghyun whispers back, his hands slipping until they land in his lap. 

"I want to, the gods know I do, but we can not. You have a responsibility to the kingdom. You have friends and family here, I have Taemin. I finally found a home, Jonghyun, I do not want to leave it." He answers, voice breaking as the tears begin to fall. "I lost my magic, I have nothing left now but this. Even if we do not last, I still wish to stay." He adds with a sob.

"All the more reason to fight for us, Kibum!" Jonghyun leans back to say something, but Kibum interrupts him.

"Just..." He whispers. "Do not, please." He says as he looks up. "I just want one last night like this. Watching the stars, being with you." He whispers, tears still falling and his vision blurred. 

"I am not giving up, Kibum, this is not our last night." Jonghyun says, voice filled with desperation as he's the one to cradle Kibum's face this time to dry his tears. "I love you, Kibum. Nothing will stop that. Not a magical creature, not ancient laws, not my father, nothing." He whispers gently, his thumbs small circles on Kibum's pale skin. "I also knew this day would come, yet I confessed, yet I kissed you, because I know we can make it work. Just trust me?" 

Instead of answering, Kibum nods, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself. Jonghyun nods as well, more so to himself, and gives Kibum a small smile before leaning forward to connect their lips in a chaste kiss. Kibum can't help the surprised noise that slips out as their lips touch, and he freezes for a few seconds before he pushes back against Jonghyun's lips. The prince's lips are cold, yet Kibum melts against them. Jonghyun's hand is warm and soft as it cups Kibum's cheek, moving back to his neck to hold him closer, deepening their kiss. Kibum's mind is spinning, his hands twitching, eager to touch the prince. His hands move up his arms, his body shivering from the feel of the prince's muscles, and his fingers tangle in his hair. Before the kiss can get deeper and before Kibum loses his sense of reason, he breaks the kiss and leans back. The prince opens his eyes slowly, a little dazed. 

"Whatever happens tomorrow, know that I love you and that I will cherish this time together, no matter how short it may last." Kibum whispers, leaning their forheads together and letting out a sigh.

"I love you too, and I promise I will fight for this, for us." Jonghyun whispers back. 

 


 

 

HELLO!!

 

Hi everyone, yes your eyes are not decieving you, I am back!! 

 

I'm so glad I finally managed to finish a new chapter, it's been forever and I'm truly sorry to everyone who's been waiting. I've been dealing with school and personal problems and I couldn't find the inspiration to write a chapter that was good enough. But finally! 

 

Please let me know in the comments what you think, and I promise I'll upload another chapter. I will finish this story, even if it takes forever!!

 

Thanks bye

chu~~