Mellifluous

Limerence

Mellifluous (adj.) - A sound that is sweet and smooth, pleasing to hear

 


 

A knock on the door wakes him up the next morning. Kibum opens his eyes and carefully slips out of bed, suspicion in his body as he gets closer to the door. He reaches for his shirt and pants, huffing in annoyance when the person knocks more impatiently. "Who is it?" He asks once he's dressed.

"A charming prince." Jonghyun's soft voice reaches him, and he rolls his eyes as he opens the door. 

"Is he behind you?" Kibum teases with a smile. 

"Good morning to you too." Jonghyun says and chuckles. "Would you like to join me for breakfast?" He asks. 

"Yes, thank you." Kibum says, running a hand through his hair to calm it down and follows Jonghyun down the hallway. Yesterday the pair had spent most of the time talking, though Kibum had tried to steer away from most of his past. It seems so easy to talk to the prince, he's outgoing and not as posh and proper as most royalty Kibum has met before. 

Jonghyun leads him into the kitchen, where the maids and cooks give Kibum a warm smile. "Hey there Sweetheart. We were wondering if you were alright." One of the cooks asks, smiling with rosy cheeks covered in flour. 

"I am fine, thank you." Kibum says and smiles politely. 

"And how is our favorite little prince, huh?" Another woman asks and chuckles, she's a tiny woman, her coal black hair spotted with grey and a round face beginning to wrinkle. 

"I feel lovely. Do you have everything I asked for?" He asks as he moves to a table in the back. 

"Of course, you rascal." The woman says, moving to a counter to grab two plates. "Ever since he was just a wee little boy he has been hiding in the kitchen from his teachers. Always asking if we have any spare treats he can steal to take up to his room." She says, putting the plates down and pinching Jonghyun's cheek. Jonghyun swats her hand away with a pout.

"Is it a normal routine, to run away from your lessons?" Kibum asks with a chuckle.

"Perhaps. My teacher are either terribly dull or simply terrifying, so I keep away from them as much as I can." Jonghyun says with a lopsided grin. Kibum shakes his head with a smile, beginning to eat his breakfast. He watches in amusement how easy it is for Jonghyun to bicker with the maids as if they are old friends. How he blushes when the cooks gush about how he's grown so much and when they tell Kibum a story about his childhood playing tricks on the soldiers and guests in the castle. 

"Your Highness!" Kibum chuckles at Jonghyun's groan when Jungsoo walks into the kitchen. "Your morning lessons are almost over and the teacher has not seen you since last week. You are far behind in your studies." Jungsoo says with a frown.

"Go to your lessons, my Prince. I feel bad for Jungsoo and your teachers for stealing all your time." Kibum says with a laugh as he rises from the chair. 

"I do not want to." Jonghyun says with a frown.

"Now listen here, young man, your coronation is not far away and you will soon be king. Is that how a future king is supposed to act?" The cook asks, putting her hands on her hips with a motherly glare. Jonghyun flinches.

"I guess not." He mumbles, looking down at the ground as if scolded. 

"Come see me later, after your lessons are over." Kibum says before walking out, not forgetting to say goodbye to the maids and to Leeteuk.

 


 

Kibum finds the gardens of the castle to be the most stunning he's ever seen. There's more flowers than he can count, and some that he doesn't even know the names of. The air is fresh and filled with the scent of flowers, and Kibum could almost fall asleep on the bench he's sitting on. 

A noise brings him out of his thoughts, almost like a bubble popping. A sound he's heard before. He groans, not bothering to look at the cause of the noise.

"Ignoring me, are we?" A voice says with a laugh. "Hurting my feelings, old friend." 

"Go away, Taemin." Kibum says as he turns to look up at the boy. It's been months since he last saw Taemin. The boy is easily the most peculiar creature Kibum has ever seen. 

He's not a boy at all. Taemin is what people often describe as an elf or a fairy. Though Kibum usually calls him a demon. Taemin has beautiful features, with long brown hair tied in a ponytail, sharp ears and beautiful blue eyes. His skin glows, shining in the light of the sun. He does not have wings or green skin as fairytails describe elves and fairies, but he does float. Kibum and Taemin both has no idea how he does it, but the boy has never set his foot on the ground. He lies almost as if he's on a cloud, a few feet above the ground. He looks bored.

"Once again, hurting my feelings, old man." Taemin says.

"You're a few hundred years older than me, you are not allowed to call me old man." Kibum says with an annoyed huff. Even though Taemin can be a good companion to have on Kibum's travels, the elf always gets Kibum in trouble. Which is why Kibum often shoos the elf away.

"You look older than me." Taemin says with a smirk.

"You are an elf, you will always look like a child." Kibum grumbles, almost like he's jealous. 

"Now, where are we this time?" Taemin ignores him as usual and turns his head to look at the garden and the castle. "New kingdom?" He asks.

"King Jaejoong's kingdom." Kibum says with a sigh. 

"Why are we here?" Taemin asks with a raised brow. 

"Indomitus got frightened and brought me here. I like it though, I think I will stay a while. Maybe I can even get a job at the castle." Kibum says, pursing his lips in thought.

"Why? You hate royalty." Taemin asks with a grimace.

"I do not like unfair rulers. King Jaejoong seems like a fair and honest king, so does his son." Kibum says, not able to hide the smile on his lips. Taemin notices it, mischief blooming on his fair face.

"My my, is that love I see in your eyes?" Taemin asks with a chuckle. Kibum scowls, glaring at the elf. "Yes, it is tiny, but it is growing. I can see it. Oh, you fall too easily my friend." Taemin says with a sigh, placing his hands behind his head as he looks up into the sky. 

"I am not in love. I have been here for two days. I only know the prince is honest and kind." Kibum says, ignoring the piercing look from the elf.

"And attractive?" Taemin teases.

"Aduro." Kibum whispers with a huff, shooting a fireball towards the floating boy. The latter only chuckles as he poofs away, reappearing on the other side of Kibum with a smirk.

"I think I will have to meet this prince charming of yours. Where is he?" Taemin asks, standing up so he's floating just a few centimetres from the ground. If Kibum was far away, it would look like he was just a normal boy. Though his attire does stand out a bit. Taemin is wearing a loose-fitting white shirt with poofy arms, that shows off his fair skin and his collarbones, and a beige pair of pants. He's not wearing any shoes, since he doesn't walk.

"You are not meeting him." Kibum says, standing up as well. He can see the sun setting just behind the treeline. "I am going back inside. If any of the maids see you they will freak out, so just go dance around in the woods with your animal friends or something." Kibum says. "Recedo." He mumbles and with a flick of his wrist, Taemin disappears. He sighs, walking slowly back to the castle.

It gets cold in the castle hallways when the sun disappears, the torches on the wall give little warmth as he quickly heads to his room. Once he's rounded the corner, he stops when he sees a familiar face. He smiles, walking to his door where the court physician is standing.

"Ah, Kibum. Nice to meet you again." Jinki says with a warm smile. 

"Nice to see you too. Is there a reason you are outside my chambers?" Kibum asks. 

"I was ordered to give you this." Jinki says, handing Kibum a parchment. "Ordered, more like blackmailed. That idiot of a prince is going to get me fired someday." Jinki mumbles with a smile. 

"When he becomes king he can fire you whenever he wants." Kibum mumbles offhandedly while taking the parchment. He opens it, reading the hurried cursive letters from the prince.

 

Meet me in the west tower by midnight.

 

"I do not know where the west tower is." Kibum says with a sigh. "It seems Prince Jonghyun often forgets I am not accustomed to this castle. If only they handed out a map when you arrive." He says, flailing his arms around as he talks, moving to the door and opening it up.

Kibum's eyes widen as he sees the state of his chambers. 

His pillows are strewn across the floor and the books are thrown either on the bed or the table. In the middle, Taemin is floating upside down, one of the books in his hand and a confused look upon his face. 

"I-Is that boy f-floating in the air?" Kibum turns quickly to look at the shocked look on Jinki's face.

"About time, old man, why does your bookie-things not have any pictures. I can not read, you know." Taemin says with a huff, throwing the book on the bed. 

"Taemin!" Kibum shouts, pulling Jinki into the room and slamming the door shut. "How many times have I told you to not appear in my chambers without my permission!" He scolds the elf, walking closer to smack him over his head. 

"H-He is floating." Jinki mumbles, pointing at Taemin with wide eyes. First now Taemin notices the other person in the room. A smirk adorns his pink lips. 

"Who is this? Is it the prince?" Taemin asks, floating closer. Jinki takes a few scared steps back until his back hits the door. 

"No, he is the terrified court physician that is probably going to faint from seeing you!" Kibum says with a scowl. "I told you to stay in the woods." He says, sighing as he runs his hands over his face. Like always, Taemin manages to get him into trouble.

"His f-feet are not touching the ground." Jinki mumbles weakly. 

"You know the woods are tedious when I could rather spend time with you. And I think we broke him. " Taemin says with a chuckle, floating closer with a curious look. 

"Stop scaring him, go over there!" Kibum says, dragging Taemin to the other side of the room. He walks slowly over to Jinki. "Are you alright? I can explain, but please do not tell anyone." Kibum says carefully, taking Jinki's hand and pulling him to the table, helping him sit down. 

"W-Why is that boy floating?" Jinki asks, finally tearing his eyes away from Taemin and looking at Kibum. 

"He is an elf, a mythical creature. He is not dangerous, but no one knows he exists, so you must keep it a secret." Kibum says, sitting down on the chair infront of Jinki.

"An elf?" Jinki asks.

"Yup, I am not very interesting though, all I do is float around and play tricks. Kibum has all the cool stuff." Taemin says, making Kibum whip around, glaring at him. He has to bite his lip to keep from sending another fireball towards his head, but he could set fire to the room, and probably scare Jinki even more. 

"What does he mean?" Jinki asks. "Are you an elf too?" His eyes widen again.

"No, I am not an elf. I am just a traveller who has picked up some tricks along the way." Kibum says, sending Taemin a glare to warn him not to say anything. "Please do not tell Prince Jonghyun about this, please?" Kibum pleads him. 

"Jonghyun? Odd name. So that is the prince?" Taemin butts in, floating a little closer.

"Yes." Jinki answers weakly, his eyes widening when he looks at Taemin again. 

"Interesting. Do you know where he is?" Taemin asks, sending Jinki a charming smile. Kibum can see the minute Jinki spaces out. Another trick of Taemin's, using his beauty to get his will. Kibum snaps his fingers infront of Jinki's face, helping him out of the trance. 

"Taemin, I swear on Mother Earth I will cut off your tongue." Kibum growls. "You have done enough damage today. Leave." He says, and thankfully Taemin seems to understand that Kibum is not up for fun, and disappears with a pop. Jinki jumps at the noise, staring in fascination at the spot where Taemin had just been. 

"Amazing." The physician whispers. 

"Promise me, Jinki." Kibum says, grabbing his attention again.

"I promise." Jinki says with an eager nod. "This is the most fascinating thing I have seen in my entire life. Are there more creatures out there?" Jinki asks quickly, his eyes lighting up in childish excitement. 

"Unfortunately, yes." Kibum says with a sigh, looking out of the window. "But not everyone is as harmless as Taemin." Kibum says, staring at the dark woods outside his window. The sun has been gone for a while, the moon shining brightly into the room, the start lighting up the sky like glitter. "Midnight! I forgot about Jonghyun!" Kibum jumps up from his chair, startling Jinki out of his as he rushes to the door. "I have to find him, thank you Jinki!" Kibum shouts as he runs out of the room, running west in hope of finding the west tower.

 


 

Jonghyun sighs once again, his chin resting in his open palm as he stares out into the woods outside the window. He can hear the owls hooting and the birds flying off. He can hear the horses from the stables below, and the cheerful chatter from the market down in the village. He looks up into the sky, staring at the moon, wondering what is up there when running footsteps reaches his ears. He turns to the stairs, seeing the person he's been waiting for running towards him.

"You came." Jonghyun says relieved, he's been wondering if the message had been recieved.

"I am sorry, your Highness, something...distracted me and I forgot the time." Kibum says as he leans against the wall to catch his breath. 

"It is alright, I am glad you came at all." Jonghyun says with a smile.

"So, why did you ask for me to come here?" Kibum asks after calming down. "Are we going up the tower?" He asks with wide eyes as he glances at the stairs leading up. He hd been glad that he didn't have to run up them just a minute ago. 

"No." Jonghyun says with a chuckle. "Follow me." Jonghyun says. Kibum follows silently down the hall, glancing at the paintings on the walls. The distraction gives Jonghyun time to look at him. For some reason there is something so interesting about him. Not only his beautiful eyes, but everything about him, how he acts, how he behaves, the way he laughs, his smile. Jonghyun can't seem to get enough of it. He knows it's odd to feel like this towards a boy, but Jonghyun doesn't really care. He can't deny the boy's beauty. He wants to hear more about him. Something about his voice is almost hypnotic. It's smooth and soft, almost like a melody.

"Why are you staring?" Jonghyun jumps when Kibum breaks the silence, sending the prince a curious look. Jonghyun blushes, looking down in shame for being caught staring.

"It was nothing, forgive me." He mumbles, letting out a relieved breath when he sees they're there. "This is it." He says, grabbing the two doors and pulling them open. He turns around with a grin, watching Kibum's eyes widen as he slowly walks out on the balcony. 

"It is beautiful." Kibum says, staring into the horizon. "You can see everything from here." He mumbles, walking over to the edge to stare into the village. Jonghyun walks up beside him with a smug smile. He leans on the stone railing, letting out a sigh and breathing in the cool air. "Is there a reason you wanted me to see this?" Kibum asks curiously.

"No, I just love spending time here, you can probably say it is one of my favorite places." Jonghyun says and shrugs. "Plus you asked of me to find you after my lessons were over. So I did." He smiles. "My father has asked for me to train with the soldiers, meaning I do not have a lot of free time in the next days. I just wanted to spend some with you while I could." He mumbles, staring at the moon once again. 

"Do your father...." Jonghyun turns when Kibum sighs. 

"What?" Jonghyun asks softly.

"Does your father perhaps have a empty position in the court?" Kibum asks, staring down at his hands and hiding his face.

"Why?" Jonghyun asks, his smile growing in hope. 

"I have enjoyed my short stay here." Kibum says as he looks up and into the woods. "I would like to stay longer, but I need a job." He mumbles. 

"I will ask. Tomorrow morning." Jonghyun says and grins. "I am happy you are staying. I do not know why, but it is very easy to talk to you." He says. 

"I feel the same." Kibum says with a shy smile as he looks at him, his green eyes covered by his dark eyelashes. A sudden warm feeling spreads through Jonghyun's body, and he gives the other a lopsided grin. Silence falls over them as he stares, taking in the small scar on his eyebrow, the shine on his lips, the way his eyes look like emeralds when the moon shines on them. "You are staring again." Kibum says as he looks down. 

"I apologize, I can not help staring at beautiful things." The words leave his mouth before he can take them back, and Kibum looks up with wide eyes as Jonghyun's cheeks blush a dark red. Silence falls over them again, more tense this time as they both just stare at one another. "I apologize again, it was not my intention to make you uncomfortable." Jonghyun whispers. 

"It is alright. Thank you." Kibum says softly. "I must return to my chambers. So must you, you have training tomorrow." He says, breaking eyecontact and pushing back from the railing. Jonghyun sighs, but nods. He watches Kibum turn and walk towards the doors, but he turns before reaching them. "Will I see you tomorrow?" He asks shyly. 

"If I have the time, of course." Jonghyun says and grins. Kibum smiles as well before disappearing.

 

 


 

 

Second chapter!! WOoohooOOO!!

And Taemin's an elf!

 

I really hope you liked it! Please leave a comment down below to let me know what you think :D

 

Names and incantations:

Recedo - Retreat, to go back, disappear (Latin)

 

Thanks bye

chu~~