Chapter 3

The Only One I See

They went on a couple more dates before they naturally start dating properly soon afterwards. They did not officially announce their relationship until Minsoek finally popped the questions and of course Yoojung said yes and the quickly started dating soon afterwards. Their marridge was not met with approval at first but slowly after time people finally accepted it. They decided to move it together a couple of months before the official wedding ceremony. The wedding was going to be a small private wedding held at a local venue. It was while they were picking out the color of the invites when Yoojung started noticing something was definitely off with her eyes.

“I like these pale pink ones.” She said as she held it to the light.

“Yoojung?” Minseok looked at her with concerned eyes. “That’s bright purple?”

Yoojung puts down the invite as her face burns a bright pink. It wasn’t the first time she had mistaken the color of something but it was the first time it was such a contrast.

“Oh right! Sorry I was just tired and my brain didn’t work.” She lied jokingly. “How about we go with this one?” She says picking up one of the others on the table.

 

It was a week later when she secretly confided in her mother. This was after she washed a new red top with all the white clothes. She was also noticing her vision blurring as she was reading the script. She continued denying the fact that there was something wrong until she almost fell down the stairs in the apartment building because she couldn’t see where the next step was. She couldn’t deny it any longer and she was so scared. Scared of what would happen to her if her vision were to never recover. She wouldn’t be able to work and provide for her not to mention looking after herself but what concerned her most was probably Minseok. With the wedding a few months away; she had to make her choice, was she going to go on with the wedding or was to leave him. She didn’t think it would be fair for her to burden Minseok with her illness for the rest of his life, but would she be able to leave him?

 

“Miss Kim?”

“That’s me.” she says getting up.

“Please come with me.”

 

She sat down in front of the doctor as the doctor clicks at a couple of images on the computer in front of him.

“Miss Kim. Can I ask if you have any family members who have had any problems with their eyes?”

“Well not specifically; there is quite a bit of people who were near sighted.”

“I see, and you said your symptoms had gotten progressively worse over the past 2 months?”

“Yes. Doctor, what is wrong with me?”

“You have a rare autoimmune disease that attacks the rods and cones of your eyes.”
“What does that mean? Speak in a language I understand!”

“It means that your body is attacking the structures in your eyes that allow you to see color and objects.”

“Will I recover?”

“Miss Kim; it is extremely hard to treat autoimmune disease. There are some things that could help…”

 

It didn’t.

 

Yoojung sat on the bench in a park near the hospital after her 6th treatment. She just received her latest results. Her eye sight was almost completely gone, even as the tears streamed down her face her view of the world remain blurry. “What am I going to tell Minseok?” She hadn’t told him anything and it would not be fair for him to marry a blind bride when there were so many people who would a better choice. It wouldn’t be too late if she stopped it now.

She decided “I’ll do it tonight.”

Yoojung wiped away her tears and went to the grocery shop to buy the ingredients for the last meal she will be making for him.

Yoojung sighed as she started to make dinner. She felt around for the onions and bell peppers when she heard the door open. “You’re here early!” She says as she panics as she places the food onto the counter.

“I’m just in time.” He says as he catches an onion that was rolled off the table as Yoojung remained unaware.

“I’m just making dinner; you should go watch TV or something.” She replies nervously, the thought that Minseok will be watching her cook made her worry more. What is he notices it before she has a chance to tell him?
“Sure!” He says as he walks away loudly and then quietly tiptoes back to make sure that Yoojung didn’t accidently cut her finger.

“Let me help after all.” he says as he takes over the task of cutting the vegetables.

“That was delicious! You should make it again next time your sisters come over!” Minseok laughs as he puts down his fork.”

“There won’t be a next time.” Yoojung answers slowly.

“What do you mean?”

“Minseok I haven’t been honest… I know this is very unfair on you and I will understand if you get upset but please don’t hate me. I have known this for some time but, I am actually becoming-”

“Blind? I know about it…” Minseok replies sheepishly.

“What? How could you know?” Yoojung says softly when in reality she wants to scream, what is going on.”

“I noticed something off; you were acting strange, so I kind of followed you this one time…”

Yoojung nods, then this will make it easier, she thought to herself. “I think it would be best if we didn’t go ahead with the wedding.”

Minseok’s face contorts into a confused expression, “Is it because I followed you? I’m so sorry, I didn’t meant to it is just because-”

“MINSEOK! I am going blind! It has nothing to do with you! You have never done anything wrong; I just can’t do that to you!”

“Do what to me? Don’t you know being without you would kill a part of me?”

“Then what should I do Minseok? What am I supposed to do?” Minseok stands up and walks across the table and kneels down in front of her as he reaches for her face and pulls her face to meet his.

“You don’t need to worry about anything, what you can’t see I’ll see for you, all you need to see is the love I have for you, and that’s all we need.”


END