Chapter 3

Unbreakable

Mina stared at the ceiling and then softly glanced at Simon laying next to her. Mina didn't want to talk, she could tell neither did Simon. He was rejected by the new girl while Mina felt completely out of place. All the boys loved her and chased after her, yet it was only her first day! Mina felt as any high school girl would, alone, ugly and unwanted. She was so beautiful, who could blame them.

"I think I really like her Mina." Simon mumbled. Not that Mina was listening, she was rather interested in her mind pointing out all the things wrong with her.

"Mina?" Simon said a little louder.

"Huh?" She turned to look at her best friend.

"I think I really like Kim." Mina laughed.

"You? Really liking a girl? Please." She laughed some more.

"I'm serious this time." He sounded serious and this scared Mina. He has never said that before and especially after being rejected. Simon was never the type to go after a girl after she rejected him, not that it happened often but when it did he never bothered with the girl again.

"Why don't you just try to be a gentleman and maybe she won't ignore you." Mina went back to staring at the ceiling.

"I've never had a girl ignore me before." There was silence.

"Why are you so quiet?" Simon asked after a while.

"It's nothing." Mina grumbled.

"I know you, I know this is not just nothing."

"I said it's nothing." She snapped.

"Jeez, nevermind." 

"I got homework to do, do you mind?" That was Mina trying to get rid of Simon but he wasn't having it. They argued until they couldn't argue anymore and eventually they both kept quiet and started doing their homework.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few weeks had passed, final examinations were coming up. Mina was working hard while Simon was getting to know Kim a little better. Mina was so busy but when she had some time to herself, she missed her best friend. Simon spent most of his time with Kim, they would go out, study together or just do nothing. Mina missed the days when it was just her and Simon. 

"Mina?" Kim approached Mina while she was taking out some books from her locker. Mina desperately wanted to roll her eyes. Mina disliked Kim for many reason but the most important one was taking her best friend away from her.

"I need to ask your advice." She had that puppy dog eye look and Mina couldn't refuse.

"I think I'm in love with Simon." Those words hit Mina like a dagger to the heart. 

"Oh." Mina said without gumption, barely audible. She could hardly breathe, Kim was in love with Simon and Simon was surely in love with her.

"I was thinking about planning a romantic dinner for us this weekend. Do you think he would like it?" Mina could feel her eyes fill up with tears but she was strong enough to hold them back for a bit longer.

"Sure." Mina couldn't talk. Her body froze and her tongue was numb.

"He's such a great guy, didn't you ever fall in love with him?" That question felt like a slap in Mina's face and all she could do was smile weakly. Kim responded with a brighter smile, Mina stood at her locker and watched as Kim walked away.

"I did fall in love with him but I was too proud to tell him." Mina said softly as Kim disappeared into the crowd of school students rushing in and out of class.