Chapter 1

Unbreakable

"I do not want to talk to you!" Mina yelled. This was a weekly thing. Simon usually leaves their group projects up to her or forgets about their student meetings, which most of the time Mina has to lie just to cover up for him but today, he forgot that he had to take her home from school. How he forgets? He doesn't really forget, something comes up of course.

"I didn't mean to." Simon pleaded. When he realized he had forgotten to take her home, he dumped whatever he was doing and rushed to find Mina but she had already walked home. 

"I'm not going home until you open the door." He knocked on her bedroom door once more. 

"You live right next door." Mina said sarcastically. Simon and Mina were neighbors. They were both born in Busan and attended kindergarten there, Simon had just turned 11 when his father had to make a tough decision as he got a better job offer in Seoul. It was either he turned the job offer down or the family had to relocate. He chose to relocate and for a whole year, Simon and Mina spent their time emailing each other, that is until Simon's father invited Mina to join them in Seoul. He knew it was a great opportunity for her to get a better education and a great job once she was done with school. Mina's parents agreed to let their daughter move away from them to be with Simon and his family. She stayed with them until she was able to take care of herself, she knew she couldn't be a burden to them all her life and just her luck, the old lady at the next house was renting out her spare room and Mina knew it was convenient. She didn't want to be far away from the Parks' so she started renting out a room in the next house.

"Mina, just open the door." Simon said calmly even though he felt disappointed in himself.

"First tell me who she is." Mina demanded

"Why do you always assume that I dump you for girls?" A deep groan left Simon's lips.

"Because that's what you do!" Mina yelled once more.

"Kelly. 11th Grade." Simon gave in. He knew there was no winning with Mina. She knew him inside and out. To his surprise, the door opened and before him stood a very angry Mina.

"I waited for you for two hours!" She didn't yell this time but she was angry.

"I know but she was so hot Mina, you don't understand." Simon invited himself into her room and threw himself onto her bed.
Mina joined him. The two stared at the ceiling in silence for a while.

"You know, by the time I get a job, I'll have to marry you." Simon his side to look at Mina.

"Please, like I would want to marry you." Mina also to her side to face Simon.

"Mina, there is no other girl that would cook and clean up after me. They only want my body."

"Oh, so you want me to marry you just so I can cook and clean?" Mina poked his chest.

"And you have good genetics, add that to my good looks. Our kids will be smart and gorgeous." He poked her chest back.

"You're an ." She laughed.

"I think it would be a perfect marriage."

"Simon stop joking, it's not funny." 

Mina and Simon continued joking about marriage until they remembered they had an exam the next day. They studied together and it was nearing midnight when Simon decided to go home.

"I'll see you tomorrow my beautiful future wife." He winked jokingly.

"Very funny Simon." Mina responded. She didn't take him seriously, she realized, she hardly ever took him seriously. She couldn't imagine being married to anyone, let alone Simon. Mina was a free spirit who liked her freedom, marriage just wasn't her thing. Simon on the other hand, wanted marriage and kids. Five children to be exact. Mina thought he was insane but decided to keep that thought to herself for now.

Final exams were five months away and both Mina and Simon were looking forward to finally finishing their long school careers. Mina was looking forward to going to college while Simon wanted to get a job so he could leave home as soon as possible. They had their whole lives planned out but one thing was consistent, they were going to remain best friends forever.