Chapter 1: Normality

Diminished Boundaries

Byun Baekhyun and Kim Jongin (or Kai as he now prefers to be called) have been best friends for as long as they can both remember. Their families close friends, Kai has always had the presence of his loud but caring friend around him. Protecting him and keeping him somewhat sane, it's always been that way... Although Kai may seem like a harmless and gentle boy who smiles at almost anything, inside he is troubled, he pents up all of his frustrations and emotions inside him, waiting to explode at any moment. He doesn't tell anyone about how he feels, or the thing that troubles him. He doesn't want to be left friendless, after all, who wants the be friends with someone who hears a voice in his mind. A voice which plagues his existence and often leaves marks of fatigue around his eyes after a night of staying up with the simple echoes of it inside his mind. You see, the voice is always there. It rarely speaks to him, but he knows it is always waiting there. Ready to make Kai do something he never ever wants to do. He has the marks across his body. His tanned flesh littered with marks of which he has gotten from things like falling over and accidentally burning himself, the only time when he ever seems to not fall or something is when he's dancing. He has complete control over his body then, dancing is his passion and something which always seems to make him feel better.

 
"Kai...Kai, hey! What are you doing?!" 
Shouts Baekhyun, too loud for the hallway. It's currently lunch and Kai has gotten carried away with his thoughts yet again, a terrible habit of his. It's better to not let that happen. He chuckles, a gentle smile flickering across his face as he turns to Baekhyun. 
 
"Sorry Baek, what were you talking about again?"  he asks his best friend who is currently gaining back his smile which he had before Kai was lost in his thoughts. 
 
"It's okay" Baekhyun giggles, quite adorably he might add, rolling his eyes at him. 
 
"Okay, so, since I'm absolutely terrible at Math, Mrs Kwon has told me that I need a tutor" he tells him excitedly.
 
"Wait wait, and why the hell are you so excited about this exactly" Kai asks ,confused at the strange mood of his best friend, especially after being told that he need to be tutored. 
 
"She told me Chanyeol is going to be tutoring me!" Baekhyun almost screams in excitement. Finally, Kai understands why he was so excited. His best friend has had a massive crush on the guy in his math class with the curly auburn hair and a smile so creepy it could rival pedobear. This has been going on for a few months and Kai has yet to figure out why Baekhyun hasn't yet even spoke to him. Park Chanyeol is one of those easily approachable guys with an infectious personality. Baekhyun is rendered into a blushing mess around him, it's hilarious considering his usual hard to intimidate personality. 
 
"That's great Baek. I hope you can finally confess to the guy, at least this will give you a chance to talk to him! I mean damn, we all know you won't be able to confess anyway... At least now you can try to be friends with him and get him to fall for you" Kai explains and happiness lights up Baekhyun's angelic face and his eyeliner smudged eyes turn into little crescents, his face exuding personality. 
 
"Well yeah, that's the plan. The problem is I don't even know whether he likes boys. And if I confess to him after becoming friends or even worse... He finds out himself, I might be back to square one, or most likely further." Baekhyun pouts in frustration. Kai places his hand on his friends small shoulder in comfort. 
 
"It's okay Baek. If he can't accept that you're gay, he doesn't deserve you. So don't worry okay? Anyway I've seen the way he looks at you" Kai tells his friend, he always noticed the harmless giant staring longingly at his best friend in class. The first time it happened, Kai dropped his pencil in class, cliche I know, and it rolled towards the goofy being who sits behind him and Baekhyun. He turned around and gazed at him in silent question, wondering whether he'll give him his pencil back. What he saw when he turned around was his eyes fixated not on Kai, or the pencil, but on the back of Baekhyun's head. A knowing smile flitted across Kai's face as his best friends crush either reciprocated his friend's feelings, or at least found him attractive. The look on his face would make you think he was in love, which Kai hoped he was.
 
"But I couldn't live with myself if that happened, Kai!" Baekhyun expresses loudly, sadness making its way across his face. 
 
"Come one Baek, just go with the flow, I'm sure everything will work out in the end" Kai smiles at him.
 
"Let's go to the cafeteria and get lunch, I'm starving and everyone must be wondering where we are." Kai pulls Baekhyun along with him as he makes his way to the cafeteria, not sure why he's so eager to make his way there, considering the food is usually gross.
 
Kai opens the door to the cafeteria and is greeted by the usual noise and incessant chattering which the cafeteria seems to hold at lunch time, him and Baekhyun go to get their lunch, staying safe and getting a sandwich, and then heading towards the table where their friends wait for them. Unsurprisingly, Jongin's group of friends are just as strange as him and Baekhyun. There is Luhan and Sehun, or HunHan as they are affectionately called by Baekhyun, who have been dating since the start of high school nearly two years ago. They are almost sickeningly in love, not only constantly muttering sweet nothings in each other's ears (not to mention out loud) but they almost always seem to be stuck at the hip, constantly holding hands or kissing or something like that. Kai doesn't mind though as, for one, after a while he seemed to get used to it, well he had to considering they are both good friends to him, but also because Kai is gay himself, so he can't judge (he's secretly jealous of them but knows he can't get into a relationship as he will most likely hurt them when he finally breaks). There is also Jongdae, who Baekhyun seems to think is some mutated half-camel half-dinosaur, apart from this he is actually really good looking, but definitely not Kai's type...Jongdae is also an incredibly talented singer, along with Baekhyun, who sings for the school choir.
 
Animatedly, Baekhyun slams his lunch tray down onto their usual table.
 
"Guys! You'll never guess what happened today" Baekhyun almost screams in excitement.
 
"Let me guess, since you're rubbish at math and Chanyeol is amazing at it, the teacher has asked him to help you or something" Sehun guesses with an almost bored expression on his face. Baekhyun's face distorts into one of disappointment.

"Yup, you guessed it AGAIN, Oh Sehun... my news is never exciting when you're around all you ever seem to do is guess what it is before I can say anything!"
 
"Well Baek, you shoudn't be so easy to read, all you ever talk about is the hot nerd who's in your math class." Sehun chuckles. 
 
"His name is Chanyeol, and what the hell is this food! If you can even call it that" Baekhyun mumbles changing the subject as the telltale signs of pink grace his vheeks as he and takes a bite of his overly dry and tasteless chicken sandwich, his mood considerably lowered. 

"Awww Baek don't be like that, I'm sorry, okay" Sehun looks at Baekhyun with his big eyes, trying to use aegyo to get the older to forgive him. A small smile graces his face at Sehun's pathetic attempt to make him happier again. Seeing his 'aegyo' had worked in Baekhyun Sehun smiles and returns to his food, his fingers intertwining with his boyfriend's under the table, squeezing his delicate fingers.
 
"Did you guys hear about the new guy that's meant to be joining tomorrow?" Luhan asks everyone his eyes sparkling in excitement, he loves to make new friends apparently, the kind of social butterfly which everyone wants the be. Kai isn't jealous or anything he has a decent social life, his small group of friends is enough for him, but he also had a few classmates of which he is particularly friendly with. 

"There's a new kid?!" Baekhyun exclaims excitedly. 

"Yeah, someone saw him coming in last week to sign some papers or something, apparently he's super cute and good looking" Luhan smiles, a mischievous glint in his eyes. 

"Yah! Why are you so excited?!" Sehun purses his lips in a new found jealousy. 

"Ahhh, I'm sorry Sehunnie, you know I only love you, right?" Luhan says with some liquid forming around his deer like eyes, worry taking over his face. Kai internally rolls his eyes at the PDA that the couple are now showing. The conversation goes on like it usually does over the rest of the lunch, Chen complaining about some big project he has coming up and letting the group know about something or other that happened in the choir. Luhan and Sehun the only one with actually edible food as Luhan cooked them both their usual lunchbox, Kai could only dream about what it tasted like as they usually fed each other all of it and left none for everyone else. Selfish.

Kai's breath catches as a harsh and familiar voice enters his head, a voice which has been strangely absent recently, he brushes it off and wipes the thin sheen of sweat of his brow which seems to have formed. Baekhyun places his hand on his shoulder, gently massaging it in reassurance. 

"Hey, Kai. You okay?" He asks gently in concern for his best friend, only he really knows about the small part of him which seems to be constantly on edge, scared of something of which he doesn't know, and something Kai will never tell him about. 
 

"Yeah, I'm fine, come one, let's go. I think the bell is about to ring." Kai attempts to coolly brush it off smiling gently at the rest of the table. Just on que, the familiar shrill ring of the bell sounds out, telling them that lunchtime is over. As Kai heads over to discard his half eaten sandwich, he trips and his knee bangs against the floor painfully, a dark aura settles over his body and he can tell that it wasn't an accident. That thing caused it. Everything that goes wrong in his life seems to be because of it.  Baekhyun rushes over to the boy who is now just resting on the floor in acute pain. 

"Kai! Please be more careful... you're always hurting yourself." Baekhyun exclaims in worry, helping his friend up.

Kai and Baekhyun head to their first afternoon class. An uneasy feeling seems to have settled itself around his shoulders, he smiles to himself to get rid of the feeling. That and the reassuring hand of his best friend on his back seem to make the feeling dissipate and Kai smiles his way through he rest of the day, not letting it get the best of him.



 


Author Note:
Hey guys! So my name is rollingbuffalownojam (multi fandom trash ahahha) and this is my first fanfiction ever :D I really hope you like it, I'm going to try and go for a psychological and slightly angsty feel with this. Kyungsoo will enter in the next chapter probably, I'm sure you've all guessed he's the new kid that everyone is so excited about ;P but don't worry, some things will develop in later chapters so this shouldn't be too cliche, well that's what I'm going for at least! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I seriously appreciate this so much! Please help support me by upvoting this story or subscribing or whatever, I'd really appreciate it!
 
And I've tried my best to remove and spelling or grammar errors, but if you see any please don't hesitate to tell me! Please bear in mind though that I'm from the UK and might spell a small few words a bit differently ^-^
Thanks again! I hope you enjoyed this first chapter, though I know it might not be the best (pffft I'm such an amateur OTL) Please tell me what you think! :) (Also, is this a bit short? I feel like it is but I don't want to cram too much into one chapter)