Prologue

Diminished Boundaries

10 Years Ago

 

 

Kim Jongin's breaths pass through his chapped lips in short desperate gasps as his tennis shoes carry him through the damp underbrush, bringing him deeper into the desolate wood. Frost clings to the roots of the trees, their mangling arms tripping the young boy as he runs for his life. 

 

 

'I won't listen to you! Just leave me be'  the young boy screams in the confines of his mind, too petrified to even mutter a word for fear the being which seemed almost boundless to him, would hear and do something he doesn't even want to thing about. 

 

A branch snags onto his woolly jumper which he only recently received as a gift, tearing it. The ruined piece of clothing the last thing on his mind. 

 

His blood seems to suddenly run cold in his veins, almost rendering the boy motionless in fear. He feels a presence cloaking itself around his fragile body.

 

"Stop." he hears a voice whisper into his ear which is tinted pink from the freezing morning weather, Jongin's young body whips round at the sound, only to see nothing but a single raven staring him in the eyes, emotionless and fearless. The sight only further increases his fright, his pupils dilating in fear. Suddenly, he feels someone, or something, tap him on the shoulder. Petrified, he gazes over his shoulder and stared into the eyes of his tormentor, orbs of deep ebony which chill him to the bone, he sees nothing but the cold hard stare.

 

"Good, you listened to me Jongin. Now. Run." instantly obeying the voice of which he can never seem to overcome, Jongin runs for his life, only to have a mangled root trip him.

 

He feels his head his something hard, white dots fill his vision as something starts leaking painfully from him head. Hot and sticky, staining the forest floor red. The world starts to turn black and the last thing he sees is a single deep black feather floating down in his line of vision, the raven squawking as it escapes from the canopy of trees which encase the wounded boy and his unknown tormentor.