Chapter 2: First

Diminished Boundaries

The piercing sunlight filled Kai's bedroom as he peeled his eyes open, sleep finally leaving him. He glanced grottily at the clock on his bedside table and saw that it was only 5 AM... he tries to let the grips of sleep take hold of him again, but soon gives up as he realises it's never going to happen. Creaking, his bed groans as he numbly pulls his still exhausted body out of his bed, stretching he winces as his feet touch the cold, hard wood of his bedroom floor. Quietly, so he doesn't wake up his parents, he pads over to his wardrobe to pull on a shirt since he was currently topless. He makes his way downstairs, the stairs creaking ever so slightly as he descends them. Making his way over to the kitchen, his mind wanders to various things. But, still, he can feel the icy grips of the unknown being constantly holding onto his conscience, begging him to let it take ahold of his body once again. Kai tries to ignore this as he pours a glass of water and rushes back upstairs towards his room to get dressed to go to the dance studio. To any normal person he would seem absolutely insane, but to Kai it was the only way of letting go and shedding all of his worries. 

After getting dressed in a pair of sweatpants and pulling on a sports jacket, Kai goes back down stairs, popping ear buds into his ears and putting on some music. He doesn't need to leave a note for his parents as they would know where he has gone. Pulling his bike out of the garage, he notices how the morning frost has made its frame icy cold. He starts peddling down the road towards the dance studio of which isn't far from his house. The studio is quite small, but big enough for Kai and his friend Sehun who he shares it with. Them both being big dancers, they decided to rent it together considering it is fairly cheap and both of them need their own space to dance. Kai jumps off his bike and glances at his watch to see that it is only 5:30 AM, he has about an hour before he should go back home to head off to school, plenty of time to exhaust himself of all worries he has and get lost in something which he truly loves.

He swipes the key card in the door and it opens with a soft click. He sighs as he steps into the relative warmth of the studio. Luckily, the building isn't old so it is heated pretty well. Heading over to the speaker, Kai plugs in his iPod and puts of some music which has a steady but fast and pulsing tempo, he is in the mood to exhaust himself today. All because of that dark curtain of constant fear shrouding his fragile mind. Gracefully, but still with immense power and precision, he starts moving his body to the music. Instantly, the music takes him to another realm of which he is trouble free, where his image of a normal boy is infact true, not a lie he makes up so his friends don't worry about him. Of course, he is happy and doesn't take for granted all the good things in his life, he is just scared for his own sanity, he knows that his mind isn't normal, but he doesn't want to accept that. He wants to be normal. That's why he hasn't told anyone...that's why he loves dancing; it makes him feel normal and in control. He smiles as he becomes entranced by the music thunping through the speakers. Letting go, he dances to a few songs and before he knows it, it is time for him to leave. Satisfied, he stops the music, grabs his bag and leaves the studio. His shirt is sticking to his back ,his hair damp, due to the exertion of dancing.

After he went home and swapped his damp clothes for his uniform and ate breakfast, he started walking to the bus stop to get to school. A light scattering of rain creates a misty quality to the air, noticing this he walks more briskly to the bus stops and feel relieved once he gets there since he didn't get caught in a downpour. The students around him shuffle about, chattering to their friends, Kai feels his face drop a bit as his friends don't take the bus with him. It's not their fault though since they don't live in the same neighborhood as him. Shrugging, he hears the bus pull up to the curb and gets on, he looks toward his normal seat on the far right hand side of the bus, and is shocked to find a person already occupying the seat. He feels slightly angry at this as the regulars who take the bus knows he sits there. No one should take his seat. Annoyed, Kai struts over to the seat to confront the person. 

"Yah. What are you doing in my seat, it is mine... No one is allowed to sit here." He snaps, feeling a bit mean, he flashes a gentle smile in apology for being so rude. Not that the guy is looking anyway. He clears his throat loudly, the guy moves his head round, his silky hair swishing slightly as he moves his head. 

Kai's breath almost catches in his throat at the sight of the boy. Large, lustrous eyes gaze up in Jongin with a look of apology in them, round, plump lips open slightly as a faint "Oh" leaves his mouth. The boy has pale skin which still glows with the vibrancy of youth and health. Cheeks flushed red from either embarrassment for taking Kai's seat, or simply from the chill which hangs in the air of the bus, lift up, dragging the boys perfect mouth into a gentle smile.

"I am so sorry, I didn't realise this was your seat. I will move right away." He speaks with a melodious voice.

"Ah...it is okay! Sit here, please, I don't mind at all!" Kai speaks, rather loudly, garnering the attention of other people on the bus. 

"Would you mind if I sit here instead?" Kai asks softly, gesturing to the seat next to him, slightly nervous in front of the boy who has already captured his attention, and possibly his heart. 

"Of course you can" the boy says with a beautiful smile that almost makes Kai's heart flutter. Kai graciously takes the seat which isn't his own, his previous anger completely forgotten.

"I'm Kai" he reaches his hand towards the boy, who graciously takes it within his own slender, delicate one. 

"It's great to meet you Kai, My name is Do Kyungsoo, I hope we can be friends." Kyungsoo giggles at the fact that Kai is still holding his hand. Kai flushes and quickly pulls back in embarrassment. Glancing over at Kyungsoo he notices he is wearing the same uniform as himself. 

"We go to the same school!" Jongin proclaims in excitement, embarrassing himself yet again. 

"Are you new here? I haven't seen you around before, and I am sure I would have noticed a cutie like you." Kai adds. He mentally hits himself. 

"Did I say that out loud?" 

"..."

"...I did, didn't I..."

"Yep." 

They both look at each other and immediately break out into laughter.

"I am so cheesy, sorry!" 

"It's okay, I appreciate the compliment" Kyungsoo proclaims, cheeks flushed even further. Kai feels an incredible attraction to Kyungsoo, he knows that they were made to be friends, well, honestly he hopes more than that, but he only just met the guy. Almost grunting, the bus pulls up to the bus stop outside their school. This surprises Kai as he didn't even realise they had left his stop by his house. Standing up, he smiles at Kyungsoo. 

"Want to walk with me?" He asks with a smile. 

"Of course I do!" Kyungsoo says, bouncing up. 

He is so cute. 

Kai and Kyungsoo get out of the bus and start making the way up to the school gate, a peaceful silence enveloping the air around them. 

Kai breaks the silence "Shall I take you to the office? I assume you don't know the way." 

"Please! I would really appreciate it. " Kyungsoo replies with a grateful look in his eyes as they are pushed up by his cheeks, his face glowing with a smile.

Their shoes make the only noise as they head up to the office. Reaching out, Kai holds the door open for Kyungsoo, who seems grateful. 

"I guess I will see you later then?" Kai asks Kyungsoo.

"Yes! I would love to..." Kyungsoo replies. 

"How about you come eat lunch with me and my friends? They are all super nice and will welcome you I am sure! " Kyungsoo gazes up at this, his face slightly shocked. 

"Of course, I would love to! I am so happy I met someone as nice as you ,Kai..." Kyungsoo smiles for what seems like the millionth time this morning. Kai's heart stops momentarily.

"Okay, well see you later, and good luck with all your classes!" 

"Thanks so much for all you help. " Kyungsoo adds graciously. 

"No problem. " Kai turns away with a small wave, which Kyungsoo eagerly returns.

His breath comes out in short breaths as he steps out, his heart beating fast. Kai has never met someone who enraptured his attention so much, he is intrigued and scared by the fact. Smiling as he walks to homeroom, he thinks of the boy he met just previously. 

Do I deserve someone as perfect as him in my life? Won't I taint him? He thinks darkly. Shaking off the more frequently recurring dark feeling he carries on walking, trying to clear his confused mind.