Ch. 05

Animal Shelter


    It was a boring working day for Jinyoung, when Jackson came to the bookstore with his boyfriend Jaebum. He had a feeling that his friends have some motive behind their visit; it's been the first time when Jackson visits Jinyoung's store with his boyfriend since they started going out. It's been almost three weeks since then. Jinyoung met with Jackson a few days ago, exactly one day after his meeting with Mark. His friend was pestering him about the details of that afternoon, asking weird questions for which Jinyoung didn't want to give an answer. Jinyoung also gave Jackson Mark's clothes that day, who supposed to give them to Jaebum, who sees Mark on a daily basis (with an excuse he is too busy, when Jackson asked why wouldn't he give them to Mark himself) and it was the biggest thing which fueled Jackson's questions. Jinyoung had a hard time explaining the circumstances of why Mark left his clothes at his apartment, not convincing his friend a bit.

     He tried to forget about Mark for now, so he avoided everything about him successfully (even though they exchanged phone numbers, neither of them actually called) for the past few days, but seeing Jackson and Jaebum walking around the bookshelves, looking at him strangely, made him nervous. Something's in the air, he thought, watching as his friends approach him. He was standing by the cash register, as Jackson leaned against the counter, smiling at him cutely.

    "Hello, Jinyoungie, I would like to buy a book" Jackson said, as Jaebum giggled at the baby-like tone of his voice, shaking his head disapprovingly.

    "You mean manga" Jinyoung corrected him, with a sarcastic voice and bored facial expression. He was strict if it comes to literature, he didn't like to refer mangas as books.

    "Yup, you know what I like. Is there a new chapter already?" Jackson asked, but Jinyoung knew that something was weird about it, because Jinyoung always brought him the new volume of his favorite manga first hand when it was out.

    "It's not out yet, besides I'm always bringing it to you when we get it to the store" He answered, crossing his arms on his chest while his eyes were scanning his friends suspiciously. "Why did you come today?" 

    "We came to talk with you, to be honest." Jaebum said, putting his hands into his trousers' pockets. Jinyoung instantly tensed, because he knew something was wrong from the beginning, but the thing was he had no idea what was that.

    "You're ditching us lately, Jinyoungie" Jackson whined. He didn't know that not answering phone calls from Jackson may make him so upset. It was never a problem, when Jinyoung didn't pick up once or twice. This time it was only one unanswered call, Jackson called him when he was taking a shower. It shouldn't be an issue, in Jinyoung's opinion.

    "Ditching? Why? Won't we meet on Friday this week?" 

    "I called you and you're not answering!" Jackson said with furrowed brows, pointing a finger at him accusingly while Jaebum who was standing beside him, caught his arm and put it down gently. Jackson huffed and refused to look at Jinyoung.   

    "I lost my phone." he lied, because he didn't have any other good excuse of why he never called him back. Honestly, Jinyoung had been in a bad mood since the meeting with Mark. He tried to live his life normally, knowing he had no chance being with Mark, he tried to accept his fate. Realizing that he was in love with the elder only worsened his post-heartbreak condition.

    "Oh, so that's why you don't call Mark?" Jaebum asked, his eyes piercing Jinyoung's, a weird smile creeping on his face instantly. Jinyoung felt his cheeks flush with embarrassment at the mention of the name of his crush.

    "What-"

    "Yeah, it must be it. I mean Mark is so likeable, he's nice and funny, and he is like one of the most handsome guys I've ever seen-" Jackson said, gaining a hit on his shoulder from Jaebum, what made him continue "-You're number one, obviously!"

    "Okay, enough, Jackson." Jaebum said, totally ignoring Jackson's puppy eyes directed toward him, his eyes staring at Jinyoung. "-and the real reason is?"

    Jinyoung gulped, seeing the serious expression of Jaebum. He looked so confident that it made him shiver, he was sure the vet knows what the real reason was. His eyes, even small, seemed to look into his soul and see whatever is in his heart. Jinyoung looked around the store seeing a few customers walking around the shelves, remembering that he's at work now and he shouldn't chat too much with his friends. 

    "What reason-"

    "Don't you like Mark?" The volume of Jaebum's voice was slightly louder than Jinyoung's, making Jinyoung feel small. "What do you think of him?" Jinyoung's heart started to pound quicker, his face burning and his hands trembling. He didn't want them to know about his feelings for Mark, especially when Jaebum is his best friend. He felt dumb for having such feelings towards the elder, knowing that he has a girlfriend. Jinyoung intended to sound casual, but as soon as he opened his mouth to answer, his nervousness took over him completely.

    "W-Why do you ask, I'm busy, there are customers I have to handle, I-I'm at work guys, just-" 

    "Just answer." Jaebum said calmly, taking a random book from the nearest shelf, placing it on the counter, in front of Jinyoung. "Look, I'm a customer. Now tell us."

    The book turned out to be a children's book, about the human body. Jinyoung would laugh at it in different circumstances, but now he was leaning against the wall with no chance to escape. It was the first time when Jinyoung regretted that any customer needed his help. He would rather deal with the most annoying and indecisive customer ever than to answer Jaebum's question.

    "Why are you asking, anyway?" he asked quietly, because why did they even come here to ask that? It was suspicious to him and, even if he loved his friends so much, he wanted them to go home already. Hearing his question, Jackson threw his arms in the air.

    "God, Jinyoung! Why are you so stubborn?" Jackson whimpered, as Jinyoung took the book and tapped its code on the cash register, ignoring him. "I know it must be new to you liking a guy, but you can be honest with us!" Jinyoung froze in the spot. Was he so obvious? Why do they know? He wasn't even sure if he likes him that way himself until recently, and their friends already knew? He sighed, as his shoulders slumped.

    "It doesn't matter, he has a girlfriend anyway" Jinyoung said quietly, ignoring the way Jackson's eyes widened and a huge smile appeared on his face. 

    "Girlfriend?" Jaebum snorted, exchanging a glance with his boyfriend.

    "Um- yeah." Jinyoung didn't care anymore, he knew anyway, he shouldn't make a bigger fool of himself than he already is. He was in love with Mark, he couldn't deny his feeling anymore. Seeing Jaebum's confused look at his statement, he explained. "I saw them once in a cafe. It will be 12,000 won." He said, placing the children's book in front of Jaebum, waiting for the money. Jackson gasped, and before he had a chance to speak, his boyfriend placed a hand on his lips, sending a sweet smile in Jinyoung's direction.

    "I see" He said, pulling out a wallet from his pocket and paid cash for the book. Behind them, a few people lined up in line to the cash register, what made Jinyoung breathe a sigh of relief. He knew that his friends will give him a break and eventually go home. "So… Sorry for bothering, Jinyoung. Have a nice day" He said politely, giving the book to Jackson. "Here, it's for you, baby" Jaebum laughed, his eyes disappeared, while Jackson giggled, squealing excitedly. Jinyoung could only shake his head at his friends' behavior. 

    After bidding a farewell, they left the store, giving Jinyoung a space to breathe. 

 


    The day after, Jinyoung was in a dog park sitting on a bench, throwing a stick forward, while Dubu was running excitedly after it, catching it in the air and bringing it to his owner a second later. Even though Dubu was cheerful and his eyes were shining with joy, Jinyoung wasn't feeling well lately. It wasn't an illness that could be cured by doctors. Staying in the hospital also wouldn't help. His heart ached. He wondered how did he live before meeting Mark. Everything was so easy compared to now. He met him and his whole world turned upside down the moment he lay his eyes on the elder. He missed Mark. It was a while since he saw him.

     Sometimes, he felt the urge to send him a message, writing "Hey, Dubu said he wants to meet Coco" or something equally dumb like that, but he remembered that the elder is probably busy with his job at the shelter, taking care of sick animals. And probably busy cuddling with his pretty girlfriend. 

    Jinyoung looked at his phone screen - lately the device has been dead. No one called him or messaged, except for Bambam asking for books and magazines related to banking. He was still an intern at the bank where he worked with Jackson, so he still had much to learn. 

    The day was warm and sunny but Jinyoung wasn't in the mood to be happy about it. He decided to waste the rest of day by lying on the couch and watching tv when he'll come back from park. 

 

    When he was in the stairwell of the apartment complex, heading to his apartment on the 2nd floor, overcoming the stairs lazily, one step after another, his steps slow and sluggish. He held Dubu on a leash, who was pulling him forward stubbornly. The dog was still full of vigor, despite the amount of running and playing he did today, he was panting and tongue was hanging out of his mouth. Jinyoung let himself be pulled, but he instantly froze in his steps for a second, when he saw someone standing by his doors and seeing Dubu reacting rather excitedly at the stranger, squealing and whimpering of the dog made him confused. After the person turned around to the direction of sounds what Dubu was making, Jinyoung forgot how to breathe. The dog set off and ran through the long hallway forward the person, taking Jinyoung with him, who almost tripped over his own feet. Jinyoung's limbs were weak at the sight of Mark. It's Mark.


    "Dubu! Hello, little boy!" Mark greeted the dog, who was jumping on him playfully, before turning his gaze at Jinyoung. "Hello, Jinyoung." Jinyoung's stomach churned seeing his beautiful smile, he couldn't help but to stare at him for a while. He was totally unprepared at this unexpected meeting. He was supposed to forget him, but now, his feelings to the elder exploded with redoubled strength in his chest, making his heartbeat faster, almost choking him.

    "Hello" Jinyoung finally greeted him back, his face flushed with embarrassment, hearing his own voice what was barely a whisper. He cleared his throat, before opening the apartment doors and asking "What brings you here?"

    "I was waiting for your call and I decided to come immediately after Jaebum told me… about-"  Jinyoung eyes widened and his eyes fell on Dubu, refusing to look at Mark. His guts tightened nervously, because he was scared of what Jaebum told him. Does he know Jinyoung likes him? He was terrified and his hands started to sweat.

    "Would you like something to drink… or something?" Jinyoung asked, cutting Mark's sentence, unbuckling Dubu's collar clumsily. He tried to postpone the subject, he wasn't ready to talk face to face with Mark about his feelings. He knew that Mark will reject him anyway and knowing how will it end made him sick. His gaze fell on the floor, totally avoiding Mark's eyes, not wanting the elder to see his red face. He was feeling like a teenager with a crush on his sunbae.

    "No, thanks. I just wanted to explain the misunderstanding." Mark said, as Jinyoung raised his head to look at him with furrowed brows. What misunderstanding? 

    "I don't underst-"

    "You saw me in a coffee shop that day, right?" Hearing Mark's question, Jinyoung felt his face burn again. "It… It wasn't my girlfriend. I was with my cousin." The elder's voice was gentle and warm, just like he was trying to cheer him up. Jinyoung felt enormous relief, feeling as the butterflies hatched from cocoons and now flying restlessly in his stomach. His head felt light, everything evaporating from it, leaving only Mark in his mind.

    "Oh, I see" He said, scratching the back of his neck shyly. "I had to misunderstand, you seemed to be close with her..." Jinyoung said and cursed himself a second later, because last time he denied seeing Mark that day. Before he could explain himself or to get into more trouble, the elder  spoke. 

    "Her boyfriend dumped her and I was comforting her. She is very affectionate with everyone and a bit… clingy. She was crying on my shoulder for a few days. I was meeting with her a lot... She found a new lover already" He chuckled awkwardly, fumbling with his car keys in his hands shyly. The smile on his face remained and a faint blush showed on his cheeks as Jinyoung looked him in the eyes. The younger was speechless. He was actually worried over nothing. He hoped that the relieve wasn't showing on his face.

    "I-I see. You've had to have a hard time" Jinyoung said jokingly, trying to hide his true feelings with an awkward smile. The elder laughed cheerfully, nodding his head.

    "You're totally right. She could be really overdramatic and whiny sometimes...  My patience is limited" Mark smiled, as Jinyoung tried to find something to say to stop him from leaving. They were standing in the hallway of Jinyoung's apartment awkwardly, saying nothing. Dubu was already asleep, but he opened his eyes as Jinyoung snapped suddenly.

    "Make yourself comfortable! Did I ask if you wanted something to drink?" He smiled sheepishly, making Mark laugh.

    "No, I mean, yes, you did, but I don't want anything. I have to go back anyway, I escaped from work for only a minute." Mark said, his smile fell, as he suddenly remembered he has to come back to work.

    "Just because you wanted to explain this?" Jinyoung's voice was quiet, but disbelief was evident in it. Mark bit his lips and glanced away, avoiding Jinyoung's eyes on him. He seemed to be embarrassed.

    "Yeah. I arrived by a car so it wasn't a big deal…" Mark's face flushed and Jinyoung's heart sped up at the sight, his breathing fast and shallow.

    "You could've called me if you wanted to say this…" Jinyoung breathed, his voice barely audible as his eyes peeked out from under his eyelashes as he looked at Mark. 

    "Yes, I could've… but… I wanted to see you." He whispered, approaching Jinyoung a step closer suddenly, looking into his eyes, then at his lips, biting his own in the process. Jinyoung gulped nervously as he stared at him, feeling the elder's hands brushing his own with his fingers gently. Jinyoung's heart thumped firmly against his chest, his legs seemed to be glued to the floor, because he couldn't move an inch, he was mesmerized by Mark's stare. The younger his lips unknowingly, hoping for Mark to close the distance between their faces. Jinyoung couldn't think straight, when he heard another whisper.

    "I... actually…" Mark's voice was deep and when he started to lean into the younger's face, Jinyoung's stomach tightened with anticipation. He closed his eyes... And suddenly Mark's phone rang, breaking the spell, making Mark jump away from Jinyoung before their lips could touch. Their faces flushed with embarrassment, as Jinyoung turned his gaze away from the elder. As much as he hated that device right now, Mark picked up the ringing phone with a swift touch.

    "What happened? Yugyeom, slowly- Wait, what?" Mark's brows knitted in a frown and he clenched his jaw while listening to the person on the other side. Jinyoung turned his face in his direction, hearing the worried tone of his voice. He hasn't seen that expression on his face yet. Jinyoung's heart was still beating fast and his face burned at the memory of Mark's lips and his gentle touch of his fingers. He tried to calm down, using the situation when Mark talks on the phone, but knowing what Mark wanted to do didn't allow him to do so. They almost kissed. "Okay, I'll be there in a 5. Wait for me" he said, before he ended the call and shoved the phone into his jeans' pocket. 

    "Sorry, I have to go. Youngjae and Yugyeom took a dog from abusive owners. The dog is badly injured, I have to go." Mark said, the muscles in his face tightened, just like he wanted to compose himself. He was nervous and slightly scared, what made Jinyoung's heart hurt. He wanted to hug him to comfort him, but he knew it was useless; the best he would do for him is to let him go and help the poor dog. He knew by now how much he loved animals.

    "Of course, I understand." Jinyoung said, showing him a gentle smile. Mark was standing in front of him, looking into his eyes, thinking about something, before he grabbed his hand suddenly, making Jinyoung's eyes widen in surprise, butterflies awakened and flying in his stomach again.

    "I'll call you" Mark whispered, squeezing his hand in his own slightly, his warm touch sending shivers down Jinyoung's spine. Before Jinyoung could say anything, Mark let go of his hand and hurried outside the apartment, closing the doors behind him. 

    "Okay" Jinyoung breathed, clutching on his heart. He was breathing heavily, feeling the burning sensation in his chest. He hoped Mark would call him very soon.

 


    And he did; Mark called Jinyoung the same day. It was already late, but Mark kept his promise. Although Jinyoung hoped he would call, he didn't expect him to call him on the same day. He was sleeping, but he was completely awakened when he saw Mark's name on his phone's screen that night. He almost passed out when he heard Mark's hoarse voice through the phone, he was probably sleepy, but he sounded extremely s*xy. It was something Jinyoung didn't really thought of any man before - s*xiness. His voice was making his stomach tighten and the small breaths into his ear made things to his lower part.

    Mark was explaining what happened with the dog who was abused, and it turned out that he's okay now. Besides that, they were talking about unimportant things, about movies or music. They joked a little too, until Jinyoung accidentally yawned through the phone. It was past midnight and they were talking about half an hour now, when Mark decided they have to go to sleep. It was late and tomorrow they have to go to work. Jinyoung loved how Mark's voice sounded through the phone, how it fell straight into his ear as if Mark was close to him, whispering. He heard his every breath and he knew when the elder was yawning. The intimate quietness of their surroundings made Jinyoung's stomach tighten, releasing the nervous butterflies after a second. He would like to hear his voice forever. 

 

 

 

 


 

I'm sorry for posting it only now, I was really busy and the atmosphere at company where I work at is very tense, I've been stressed out recently, so I hope you'll forgive me :(

So, another chapter is here! The next chapter will be probably the last, so I hope you'll stick with me to the end!

Thank you for your comments and subscriptions! I love you and I'm very happy you like it!
Thanks for reading, and see you very soon!