Ch. 03

Animal Shelter

    Jinyoung tried to be lenient with his new flatmate. He prepared his meals every day (pouring a premium quality dog's food into a bowl - not the cheapest one - of which he was very proud of buying) and played with him a lot (more like patting him a lot and going for a long walks). 

    For the past few days while Dubu was living with him, the dog was lethargic and distant, he seemed to be scared of Jinyoung. The man was a bit worried about it, because he knew that he was missing the other dogs and the shelter's volunteers. He misses Mark too, probably. 
Trying to make him feel better, he started to walk him more often. When he went out with him for a walk, Jinyoung watched him with amusement, when Dubu sniffed and barked at everything, happily wagging his tail. He was a completely different dog outside, so Jinyoung tried to go out with him as often as he could. The walks would be really enjoyable, if Dubu didn't pull on the leash so much and if Jinyoung didn't have to pick up the dog's poop every time.

    Jinyoung sat all day at home for the most part every day (not including leaving for work) and now he seems to be more active and his well-being had improved by a daily dose of fresh air and the sun on his skin. Walking with Dubu, he had already met some of his neighbors that he hadn't exchanged a word with since he moved into his apartment. They also have dogs, that's why they have a common topic to talk when their dogs play with each other in a nearby park for dogs. Jinyoung had always been quite introverted, but it didn't bother him too much, when strangers approached him stirring over his fluffy dog and asking if they could pet him. Jinyoung stopped thinking about Sooyoung through it all. He was convinced that he loved her very much, but the fact that her name hadn't once flashed through his mind lately, made him realize that it wasn't love. On the first day of taking care of Dubu, the dog reminded him a little about her; she was the reason why Jinyoung decided to have a dog anyway. But it passed somehow. Now every time he looks at Dubu, his mind is imagining Mark, hugging his dog and brushing his fluffy fur. Jinyoung sometimes thinks of excuse to once again have the chance to go to the shelter and see the handsome vet again. It made him depressed that the next vaccination of Dubu is 3 months away. Jinyoung didn't want to wait so long to see Mark's blinding smile again.


    One day Jinyoung was coming home from work hungry and tired of the day spent at the bookstore. He had a very bad day and just wanted to go to sleep and never wake up. It was a very busy day at the bookstore, people seemed to read more judging from the amount of people passing through the place today. Jinyoung was especially frustrated by their questions about book recommendations. He didn't like questions like these, he always claimed that everyone has their unique taste in books, so he had a hard time handling customers asking about 'the best books'. In fact, it was part of his duties in the bookstore, but today was especially tiring for him knowing he has to stay in work overtime because his coworker had a fever and hadn't showed up at the bookstore. 

     When he was in the apartment complex hallway, walking to his apartment, passing an older neighbor and greeting her politely, he lazily searched for the keys to his apartment. After he finally found them at the bottom of his bag, he opened the door and froze.

    He didn't seem to notice just now, but his apartment was a mess. On the floor were sprawled clothes, shoes, socks and even a roll of toilet paper torn into a thousand pieces. There were also ripped pillows from the couch in the living room, whose feathers were still flying in the air. From the kitchen flowed a stream of water poured out of the bowl, mixed with spilled dog food. One word - disaster.

    The view was not acceptable, it was the first time Dubu made such a great mess during Jinyoung's absence - most of the time when he came home from work, Dubu was lying in the same place in which he lay when he was going out. But the look of his apartment wasn't the matter that shocked Jinyoung. His four-legged flatmate was happily greeting him at the door with the excited squeal, barging forward at him at full speed with a rubber toy in his mouth, knocking him painfully to the floor. Jinyoung hissed, massaging his tailbone, while the dog wagged his tail swiftly, showing his happiness. Jinyoung was amazed by the dog's behavior. It was the first time when Dubu was so happy seeing him. The dog threw a rubber toy on the floor, lying on his back abruptly, wanting Jinyoung to scratch his belly. The man noticed already that Dubu loves to have his stomach rubbed. When Jinyoung leaned forward, putting his hands on his belly to scratch him, Dubu jumped onto him again, his face and nibbling his nose and chin slightly. Jinyoung giggled and hugged his dog, feeling warmth in his chest, knowing that there's someone who really cares about him. For whom he will never be too boring, who don't need to lead interesting conversation and invite to the movies or parties. He just have to be and that's enough to be loved. This time he was sure about that keeping Dubu under his care was the best decision he could make. Even if he had to clean the entire apartment because of him now.


    Jinyoung was sitting in a crowded bar with Bambam, waiting for Jackson on the Saturday evening. His friend was supposed to come with his new boyfriend and introduce him to them. They're going out for two weeks already and Jinyoung hadn't had a chance to meet him yet. Although Jackson talked about him almost all the time when he called; how handsome he is and how good he kisses, but Jinyoung didn't know how he looked like, he just knew that his name was Jaebum. A name which sounded familiar to him...

    "Guys!" Jackson's voice broke through loud music in the bar, making Jinyoung and Bambam look up towards the source of the voice. When Jackson went over to the table and took a seat beside Bambam, from behind him emerged a familiar figure also sitting on a chair, smiling widely. Now Jinyoung remembered why he knew the name. "This is Im Jaebum, my boyfriend. This is Jinyoung and our Thai friend Bambam"

    "Nice to meet you!" Jaebum said, bowing slightly to them, before his smile grew bigger when his eyes laid on Jinyoung. "I know you! The world is so small, isn't it?" The elder laughed and Jackson looked at him questioningly, tilting his head as his mouth formed a pout. Jaebum giggled at his boyfriend's jealousy and quickly explained the matter to him, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly. "I'm a vet in a shelter where your friend was taking a dog-"

    "Sorry we're late, we couldn't find a parking space and-" Jinyoung froze when he hard Mark's voice. Mark stopped talking in the middle of his sentence when his and Jinyoung's eyes meet. It seemed like an eternity to Jinyoung, drowning in the depth of his brown eyes and forgetting everything around him. Mark looked amazing, his brown hair was slightly up and even though he was wearing casual clothes (a simple, white v-neck shirt along with a ripped denim jeans) he looked stunning. Mark flashed a smile "Hello, Jinyoung-shi"

    "Do you know each other?" Jackson asked, staring at Jinyoung and Mark alternately, while Mark and the other two guys (whose names were Yugyeom and Youngjae) were making a quick introduction within the group.

    "Yes, we met at the shelter." Mark answered, taking a seat beside Jinyoung, whose body instantly tensed. "How's Dubu?" The elder asked, turning his head towards Jinyoung, smiling charmingly. Jinyoung tried to relax and not be affected with his pretty face, when he opened his mouth to answer Mark's question, Jackson interrupted him.

    "Dubu is so cute! I play with him when I'm visiting Jinyoung, although I don't do that too often now," Jackson giggled, sending a smile in Jaebum's direction. Then he turned to Jinyoung, before continuing, "I'm glad you decided to keep the dog, Jinyoung. Sooyoung broke up with you even though you gave her a dog, but-"

    "Oh, so that's why you were there on the same day! So you really wanted to give him back to the shelter?" Jaebum interrupts, looking at Jinyoung wide eyed, realization painted on his face. Jinyoung gulped and started to sweat, feeling Mark's gaze on himself. He's in trouble.

    "He did, because he wanted a dog just because his ex wanted to have a dog, and since their relationship was fragile, he-"

    "Jackson, stop it already!" Jinyoung said with tightened jaw, trying to sound casual, but he felt embarrassed instantly, knowing that Mark probably hates him now. He didn't know if he should explain himself to the group or something. But after a few moments the subject dropped, and now they were talking about something else, drinking and having fun. Jinyoung felt like he had to explain the situation at least to Mark anyway, because he was the one who was reluctant to give him Dubu on the first day at the animal shelter. He didn't want the elder to hate him or think that he's a heartless brat. When Jinyoung wanted to talk with Mark, the elder was already talking with Bambam and Youngjae, successfully ignoring him.


    The atmosphere between Mark and Jinyoung was awkward. Even though everyone else were having fun, dancing and drinking, Jinyoung was sitting quietly next to Mark who seemed to be angry at him and ignoring him completely, sipping on his beer and not talking to anyone, unless asked. Jinyoung didn't want Mark to find out about his motives of why he took Dubu from the shelter. Why did he care about what he thinks of him anyway? The elder had an unapproachable aura and although Jinyoung really wanted to talk to him and explain himself, he didn't dare to speak to him.

    "I'm going to the bar. Someone wants anything?" Mark asked the group, as he got up from his chair, not sparing a glance at Jinyoung even once. While everyone was telling him their requests, Mark sighed, because he won't be able to take so many beers by himself. Jaebum seeing the regret on his face decided to help his friend.

    "Hyung, maybe you'll need help with this? Jinyoung will help you, right?" Jaebum asked innocently, making Jinyoung all flustered. His eyes were piercing through Jinyoung and he couldn't refuse even if he wanted. He had no intentions of declining the offer, obviously. From the corner of his eye, he saw Mark mouthing something incomprehensible with furrowed brows to Jaebum, who just winked at him. 

    "Ah, yes of course, I'll help" Jinyoung answered and quickly stood up an followed Mark, who didn't even wait for him and left their table in a blink of an eye.


    At the bar there was a lot of people, so Mark and Jinyoung had to squeeze through the crowd to order drinks. The bartender took orders from several people and when he was preparing drinks for them, the man dropped a bottle on the floor, which shattered into a thousand pieces. He had to clean up immediately, making Mark and Jinyoung to wait for their beers a little longer. Jinyoung decided to take the opportunity to talk to Mark, even though his heart was beating like crazy being so close to him, squeezed between Mark and another man, feeling the scent of his perfume. Jinyoung felt overwhelmed and nervous.

    "You probably think I'm an " Jinyoung said, looking everywhere but Mark.

    "Yes, I do. Irresponsible, heartless and shallow " He answered, making Jinyoung instantly turn his gaze at him. Jinyoung didn't expect him to say that to be honest and his heart sank, feeling worse by every second.

    "It's just-"

    "I don't know how a dog could help your relationship. Dog is a living creature, not a toy" Mark scolded him and Jinyoung felt his cheeks redden with embarrassment. He rarely takes Jackson's advices seriously because they were often silly. He suddenly wondered why was it so easy for Jackson to convince him to have a dog? "Are you that kind of person who don't understand that dogs have feelings too?" Mark asked looking at Jinyoung with determination on his features.

    "No, no, it's not that!" Jinyoung waved his hands in the air frantically "I didn't like him too much at first and I guess it was only compassion that made me bring him home, but..." The younger realized that he was probably too honest now, and he started to play with his fingers nervously, because he knew he made a mistake. His image in the elder's eyes wasn't so good by now. "I like Dubu now. It's a good feeling when you're coming from work and know someone is waiting for you without any objections. He's a sweet dog, just like you said... I regret having those thoughts of giving him back to the shelter, I guess I was scared and panicked..." While he was talking Mark bought beers and Jinyoung felt awkward because he wasn't sure if he even listened to him. The music in the bar was quite loud too, so he probably didn't even hear him.

    "If you regret it, that's okay then." Mark's eyes roamed on Jinyoung's face trying to find any lies and Jinyoung's legs almost gave up on him. He swallowed hard taking a few beers from the bar counter and when he turned around in the direction of their table, he was almost knocked out by some drunk men stumbling and laughing like crazy. Jinyoung tried to stay on his feet and held the bottles tightly, not letting them fall from his grip.

    "Are you okay?" Mark approached him, asking worriedly and Jinyoung nodded sheepishly, but he knew he wasn't okay at all. His heartbeat speed up and the stupid butterflies were dancing in his stomach because of their close proximity. He couldn't explain why he feels so weak in Mark's presence, his mere look or sound of his deep voice was making him a freaking mess.


    When they approached their table, his friend's conversation stopped abruptly and they looked at them with weird smirks on their faces. Could it be possible that they were talking about them while they were at the bar? Jinyoung wondered.

    "What?" Jinyoung asked, putting the beers on the table.

    "Nothing. What were you two doing? It's been like twenty minutes since you left" Jaebum said, looking at Mark with a weird look on his face.

    "We thought that you went home together" Jackson giggled and Jinyoung cleared his throat, because their friends had a strange sense of humor. He tried to laugh it off somehow and when he looked at Mark his guts tightened. The vet was blushing and he refused to look at his friends, playing with his fingers nervously. He didn't understand why Mark is behaving like this, but he knew that he was in a deep swamp by now, because his heart couldn't take Mark's cuteness and he had to (almost) physically hold himself down to not jump on him and hug him. Maybe it was the alcohol that made him so sensitive to Mark's beauty and he didn't want to know anyway. 

    "Why would we go home, it's early" Mark mumbled quietly, opening another beer and sipping on it, still not looking at any of his friends. Jinyoung couldn't take his eyes off him and he smiled at him warmly, because he hasn't seen a person so adorable like Mark. Suddenly Jackson's loud whistle resounded, followed by his friends laugh.

    "Something happened between you two? Tell us-"

    "No!"

    "No-"

    Jinyoung and Mark denied vigorously at the same time, making their friends laugh. Jinyoung had no idea why he felt like this. Nothing happened between the two of them, yet he still felt embarrassed? He started to wonder if he's drunk or something because his stomach churned nervously and his face was red just like Mark's face. Why was it so awkward suddenly?

    After another beer this weird situation fell into the normal conversation. Their friends were dancing and some of them were already drunk, trying not to fell asleep, while Jinyoung chatted with Mark in their own bubble in the corner of their table. Jinyoung was glad that Mark wasn't disappointed in him anymore and his anger evaporated. Sitting beside him and getting to know him, he noticed that the elder has a quiet nature just like him. Their conversation's flow was incredible, they seemed to know each other well, even though it was their first real conversation. Jinyoung was staring at Mark when he was talking, he looked so adorable averting his eyes from his face every time Jinyoung tried to look him in the eyes. He noticed that Mark stuttered a bit and his Korean accent was weird sometimes. He learned that Mark was born in the USA and came to Korea about 9 years ago, because his father got a promotion and had to be transferred. Mark lives alone now and takes care of a small dog Coco, which he often brings to shelter to play with other dogs.

    "I think Coco misses Dubu a lot" Mark suddenly said while they were talking about his small, white, fluffy dog. Jinyoung giggled, tilting his head to the side, feeling his face hurting from smiling. Between butterflies in his stomach and his heart beating against his chest frantically, Jinyoung was enjoying himself in the company of Mark.

    "Oh?" He asked sheepishly, seeing Mark's nervous face expression.  

    "Th-They often played with each other and now-" 

    "It would be great for them to meet sometime, Dubu probably misses Coco too" Jinyoung chuckled and he hoped this conversation is going in the right direction. He hoped to meet Mark again, he didn't want to end their relationship with the end of the night.

    "Yes, for sure" Mark flashed Jinyoung a bright smile, averting his gaze after a second, looking at his palms at his knees shyly before asking "Are you free next Friday?"

    "Next Friday?" Jinyoung asked, his chest tightening nervously and blood rushing in his veins rapidly. He tried to sound casual and relaxed, touching his chin and pretending to think if he's free, but deep inside he was trying to compose himself and not sweat so much. He obviously was free, he often meets with Bambam and Jackson on Fridays, but it was more important to him and he knew his friends would understand.

    "I mean, um, Dubu would probably-" 

    "I'm free on Friday" Jinyoung smiled warmly at Mark, who sighed with relief. In the corner of his eyes, he saw Jackson and Jaebum whispering and glancing in their direction. Jinyoung felt flustered suddenly knowing that they were talking about them. Was there something he didn't know? Jinyoung turned his gaze at Mark, feeling his gentle touch on his forearm, trying to draw the younger's attention. 

    "Then 17, at the park?"

    "Fine with me" Jinyoung answered, still feeling nervous and excited at the same time. He couldn't believe that Mark just asked him out. Well, it's not a date, obviously, just their dog's reunion, but the fact that he can meet Mark without making any excuses made him happy. He wasn't sure about it, but he started to think that maybe, just maybe, he wasn't as straight as he thought he was. Maybe he fell in love with a guy. Maybe he fell in love with Mark?

 

 

 


 

Hi! Another chapter is here! It was supposed to be longer, but I couldn't finish it today, so I'm dropping it how it is and let's hope that I will have more free time to post another chapter earlier! I'm losing my motivation to write too, but I'll try harder, I have to finish this! 

Thank you for your subscriptions and especially comments! They're making me so happy! YOU'RE AWESOME!