Ch. 01

Animal Shelter

    Jinyoung was sitting in a small cafe where he meets with his best friends Jackson and Bambam every Friday. They met only on Fridays or weekends, because on weekdays his friends were very busy working at the bank. Jinyoung usually have a lot of free time, working as a salesman in a bookstore. Jinyoung was complaining about his relationship with Sooyoung - his girlfriend of six months. His relationship with her has recently become very weak and fragile, both are no longer spending too much time together as they did at the beginning of their relationship and even if the couple lives together in an apartment, they are preoccupied with their own things in their free time. Sooyoung is busy even if she's not at work, sitting on the couch in the living room with a laptop on her laps or with a phone in her hands messaging or calling her friends. Jinyoung tried to talk it out with her a few times, but she stated that he's just overreacting. Well, he was sure he wasn't.

    "I don't know man, but you should do something about it, like, ask her out to the club or for a movie. She's probably bored or something." Jackson suggested, trying to help his friend by giving him a good advice. Jinyoung sighed, stirring his coffee with a small spoon soundlessly.

    "Jackson, I tried it. I always ask her to come with me wherever I go out with you guys."

    "What about alone time? She probably wants to spend time with you only, not with us, hyung" Bambam said, with his eyes on the screen of his smartphone, not looking at Jinyoung even once. 

    "Bambam, are you serious? She always declines and says that she's too busy or tired " Jinyoung was slightly annoyed seeing the younger's behavior, he didn't like when someone showed him zero interest during a conversation. He cleared his throat loudly, trying to draw the attention of the younger, to which he reacted immediately, raising his eyes and putting the phone sloppily into the pocket of his pants with an apologetic smile.

    "Then maybe… get her a dog. You said that she wanted it last Christmas, right?" Jackson said eating a donut, making Jinyoung not sure about whether he understood his friend when he spoke with his mouth full. Jinyoung snorted, because Jackson seemed not take his problem seriously.

    "Jackson-hyung,Jinyoug-hyung hates dogs!" Bambam chuckled, seeing his hyung's offended face expression.

    "It's not like I hate them, they're just too troublesome to take care of! You have to walk it every few hours, even if it's raining outside… It , bites and makes a mess, drop it" he said, shaking his head. The mere thought about taking the dog under his roof was making him sick. Jinyoung preferred to have a fish in an aquarium.

    "But the dog would be something for you, what would you look after together, like your baby or something. It could make you get close to each other again." Hearing Jackson, in Jinyoung's head a small light bulb lighted up immediately. Indeed, it may be a good way to save their relationship and make it perfect just like it was at the beginning. "You two would spend more time together, playing with a dog, going for walks... wow, I'm such a romantic." Jackson continued, while Jinyoung was lost in his thoughts. It could be a good idea, but is Jinyoung ready to sacrifice himself and his clean and peaceful apartment for a crazy and barking troublemaker? Maybe it's worth it, if it means spending all of his time with a woman of his life? Maybe dogs are not that bad? 

    "You think?"

    "Yes, and dogs are great to cuddle if Sooyoung will be too tired to cuddle with you!" Jackson laughed along with Bambam, almost spilling his coffee on his trousers. Jinyoung rolled his eyes at a very unfunny joke of his friend, gulping the last sip of his already cold coffee. In fact, Jinyoung considered the matter seriously. Maybe Sooyoung will actually spend more time with him when they will have a dog? The girl mentioned to him that she wanted to have a dog since she moved into his apartment four months ago, but he always refused. Maybe this time he should sacrifice and do something for his girlfriend against his will? Jinyoung noticed how their relationship became fragile and how it can break at any second, so he had to do something what will make it perfect again. 

    He will adopt a dog to save their relationship.

 

 

    The day after their conversation, Jinyoung decided that he won't buy a puppy. Jackson suggested that the best thing he would ever do was to adopt a dog from a shelter. His friend never fails to amaze him, Jackson continued to surprise him what a soft hearted friend he is.

    Jinyoung walked into an animal shelter located at the end of the town, where abandoned and rescued dogs and cats had their temporary home. The large building was surrounded by a high hedge and in the distance you could see paddocks for dogs and large cages where dogs barked impatiently, waiting for their potential owners. He was worried that his decision was too hasty. The situation was completely new to him. The last time Jinyoung a dog was when he was 10 years old. His neighbor had a giant German Shepherd, which was gentle and obedient, but extremely greedy. One day, when he was playing in the garden with the neighbor's kids, little Jinyoung got scared of the dog, when he tried to steal a cookie from Jinyoung's hand, almost biting off his fingers. Well, that was an exaggeration, because he didn't even touch the boy. The adult Jinyoung know that it wasn't a big deal, but he has a small prejudice towards dogs till now. He knew that no one is forcing him to take a dog, but he wanted to do something for his girlfriend. He wanted her appreciation. Jinyoung didn't say anything to Sooyoung about his decision of adopting a dog yet. He wanted it to be a surprise. He was expecting her to be so happy that she will probably cry. She is that kind of a girl who is crying out of happiness. He was sure that Sooyoung will wrap her arms around his neck when she'll see a small, fluffy pooch and their relationship will be restored. Jinyoung nodded to himself, trying to justify and convince himself that he made the right decision.

    When he walked into the building there was a reception in the middle of the hallway with a young woman behind it. The walls in the place were painted in peach color and on the walls were hanging not only pictures of dogs and cats that are possible for adoption, but also pictures of rabbits, ferrets and guinea pigs that are currently in the shelter. Jinyoung felt a compassionate towards them, knowing that so many animals had been abandoned by their owners. Looking around, he noticed that at the shelter was also a small clinic for animals separated from the hallway by a glass window. Jinyoung felt a strange pang in his heart, seeing injured dogs and cats lying in a small but comfortable incubators with a bandage-wrapped paws or with drips attached to their bodies. At least they receive help here, Jinyoung thought. Maybe he had a soft spot for animals anyway? Maybe he didn't hate dogs that much as he thought he was?

    "Hello! How can I help you?" Jinyoung heard a voice of the woman behind the reception counter when he approached her. Jinyoung hesitated for a moment, but swallowed hard and answered firmly.

    "I wanted to adopt a dog."

    "Oh! That's fantastic!" The woman was sincerely happy to hear that. Jinyoung smiled seeing her reaction, but his smile fell after the realization that he is probably one of a few people coming here to adopt an animal judging by her delighted smile. "Please go to room No. 6 at the end of the corridor, the doors on the left. That's our office regarding adoptions." The woman said, gesturing a direction with her hand showing where he has to go with a sincere smile on her face. Jinyoung bowed politely.


    Jinyoung walked through a long hallway, where he noticed a door which were slightly ajar, from where the laughter and dog's barking was heard. Giving in to his curiosity, Jinyoung walked closer to the door, peeking inside and when he almost saw what was happening in there, a large, wet dog covered in foam rushed past him knocking him harshly to the ground and lightly wetting his clothes.

    "Choco! Stay! Stay!" Some man ran after him, trying to call the dog and almost tripping over on sitting on the floor Jinyoung.He winced , rubbing his lower back, his tailbone ached from the impact of the fall. Fortunately, he fell on the buttocks, and not on the back, he thought, sighing tiredly. He looked away from the running man and when he wanted to stand up from the cold floor, he noticed another young man, stretching out his hand, trying to help him stand up, looking at him with a worried expression. 

    "I'm so sorry! Choco is really energetic today! I'm really sorry he knocked you out!" The man's brown hair was slightly wet and his clothes were also covered in foam, just like the dog's fur. He was good looking and Jinyoung felt embarrassed when he took the man's hand, feeling the soft and slightly cold skin under his fingerprints, letting him lift him from the ground. Jinyoung was caught off guard when the man smiled suddenly, his smile bright and almost dazzling, showing his canine-like teeth, making Jinyoung's face flush with a bright pink color and his heart quicken its pace instantly. Jinyoung was awestruck at the man's charm that he almost couldn't breathe. He cleared his throat, trying to swallow the awkwardness of this situation and bowed his head nervously, thanking for help. He couldn't understand what was happening with him right now. He probably was just startled of the previous fall, he thought.

    "That's okay," Jinyoung stammered out finally, still trying to hide his embarrassment, dusting off his pants and not looking directly at the man in front of him. Even if Jinyoung was straight, he was just too handsome to be able to look at him from up close.

    "Are you here to adopt an animal?" The handsome man said, still smiling at him brightly and Jinyoung wasn't sure if he will get out of here alive, because his heart seemed to beat so fast he felt like he'll get a heart attack at any moment. It was the first time he felt like this.

    "Ah, yes, I was going to the 6th room now" Jinyoung answered, sneaking up a glances at him.

    "Oh! That's great," The man's voice was deep, but quiet. His whole presence was intimidating, making Jinyoung's knees weak. "It's really good that you decided to adopt an animal from the shelter. There's only a few people who does that nowadays." 

    "...Really?" Jinyoung felt a little ashamed seeing his honest smile and grateful eyes, staring at Jinyoung unbashedly. He was smiling all the time and Jinyoung almost couldn't look at him because of it. Jinyoung came here just for a dog, not necessarily with sincere intentions. He felt bad that he doesn't like animals as much as the man did.

    "Are you interested in dogs? Cats?" The man's voice snapped him from his train of thoughts.

    "A dog-"

    "Mark-hyung! I caught him!" the previous guy who ran after the dog, came back and turned to the handsome man which Jinyoung just talked to. So his name is Mark? Jinyoung wondered, but he scolded himself a second later because why does it matter to him what his name is anyway?

    "Okay, Youngjae, get him under a shower, we have to wash him again" The guy named Mark sighed and turned his head in Jinyoung's direction again. He didn't realized that his eyes didn't leave Mark's face even for a moment, only when Mark looked at him again with flushed cheeks, Jinyoung dropped his gaze on the floor hastily, embarrassing himself totally.

    "Um, I'm sorry again for Choco." Mark said, scratching his neck shyly, "The 6th room is right there" he continued, gesturing in the direction of Jinyoung's destination. He stood there looking at Jinyoung like he wanted to say something more, but maybe it was just Jinyoung's weird mind playing tricks on him? Jinyoung didn't want him to go yet. He suddenly wanted to look at Mark some more, especially at his blinding smile which gives him a weird sensation in his stomach. He almost forgot where he had to go and why he was here anyway. "Um, bye" Mark bowed and disappeared behind the doors. 

 

    Jinyoung never imagined that he will ever find himself in this situation - choosing a dog in an animal shelter. After becoming familiar with the conditions of adoption explained by one of the volunteers working at the shelter, he felt only now that it was really happening. Passing through a place full of cages, standing one by one, a volunteer talked about personality of some of the dogs, asking questions about the size of Jinyoung's apartment, etc. Jinyoung didn't hear most of them, because the barking and yelping of the dogs was so loud that he couldn't hear his own thoughts.
The furry tails of the dogs were wagging frantically and their paws scratched the walls of the cages, trying to draw attention of humans desperately, wanting to be adopted right away. Their barks were so loud that Jinyoung almost gone crazy, but he decided to ignore it for a while. I'm doing it for her. 
Suddenly, in one cage, he noticed a medium-sized dog, sitting in a corner with his head lowered, looking at Jinyoung with timid and sad eyes. His fur was fluffy and black with white spots here and there. The dog didn't bark nor wagged his tail, unlike the other dogs, but had slightly lowered ears showing submissiveness. Jinyoung felt a strange bond with the dog instantly, or was it just compassion? Jinyoung was intrigued. 

    "This one… is he sick?" Jinyoung asked, trying to sound casual, but his heart was almost melting seeing the dog's behavior. The volunteer crouched down and put his hand between the bars of the cage, the dog's head, who immediately snuggled in her hand.

    "No, he's not sick. Dubu is just a bit disheartened. He was adopted a few times already, but always came back here. He probably was abused too, judging from his distrust in humans" The woman sighed, standing up. Jinyoung crouched down by the cage uncertainly, looking at the dog with a  gentle smile. Maybe he felt sorry for the dog, but he seriously considered taking him home.

    "Dubu-yah! Now it's your turn to bathe!" Hearing a familiar voice, Jinyoung stood up and turned around. When he had almost forgotten about his lovely smile, Mark showed up again before his eyes, reminding him of his existence. Jinyoung's stomach clutched annoyingly, making him sick from the nervousness. The dog seemed to be happy that Mark showed up. Dubu got up and began pacing impatiently around the walls of the cage, with a wagging tail. His ears were still lowered and he seemed to be a little shy, whimpering softly. When Mark came up to them closer, his gaze met Jinyoung's eyes, smiling at him charmingly. Every time Mark did that Jinyoung felt a strange flutter in his chest that he hadn't felt in quite long time, Jinyoung noticed. Even being with Sooyoung he doesn't feel like that. Why does this guy was making him a weak mess? What was happening with him?!

    "Oppa, wait" The woman said to Mark, and then turned to Jinyoung with a polite smile. "You're interested in taking Dubu, right?" Jinyoung felt their eyes on him. Mark looked at him bewildered, but it was the truth - Jinyoung wanted to take Dubu with him.

    "Um, yeah, I think I'll take him" Jinyoung said firmly, ignoring the weird looks Mark was sending him. The atmosphere suddenly became thicker.

    "But he's not a puppy. He's 2 years old already" Mark said, looking at Jinyoung strangely. He somewhat felt like the man didn't like the idea of him taking Dubu, what made Jinyoung wanting the dog even more. 

    "That's okay. I don't care if he's not a puppy" Jinyoung tone of voice was confident, however, deep inside, he still had doubts about having a dog. He hoped that his girlfriend will like Dubu, so he won't have to give him back here. 
 
    "Oppa, don't look at him like that, give Dubu a chance to have a loving home for once!" The volunteer laughed sympathetically. Mark sighed and smiled sadly. 

    "I'm sorry, but he went through a lot and when he's supposed to have a loving home, he always comes back here. He's the sweetest dog ever, yet he's not appreciated" The man was talking with sincerity in his voice and Jinyoung stared at him in awe of how much the guy is dedicated to his job. He probably earns a lot less in comparison to Jinyoung's job, but he seemed to really love what he does for a living. It made him want to get to know Mark better. But on the other hand, he knew he shouldn't preoccupy his mind with the man too much. This is probably the first and the last time he saw him anyway.

    "Jinyoung-ssi will take a good care of any dog he takes, right?" The woman asked cheerfully.

    "Right, of course" Jinyoung answered with a smile on his face, casually glancing at Mark, who, meeting his gaze, quickly looked down at his sweatshirt sleeves, fidgeting with them clumsily and pulling them on his hands. Jinyoung noticed that his cheeks were covered with a pink tinge and Jinyoung again felt silly warmth in his chest.

    "The dog must undergo a seven-day quarantine until you can take it home. Any dog over 6 months has to go through it." The woman informed, to which he nodded understandingly. "So, are you sure you want it?" Jinyoung eyes fell at Dubu, whose mocha-brown eyes seemed to glow with hope, looking at him intensely. Jinyoung couldn't say no to him; he suddenly felt like he has a mission of setting up a warm and cozy home for the dog. Maybe Jinyoung couldn't resist his sad eyes, maybe his selection is based on pity... In any case, he and Dubu will come with the benefit from this situation. Dubu will have a family and Jinyoung a saved relationship with a loving girlfriend. 

    "I'm sure"

    "Dubu you'll have a home!" the volunteer giggled, crouched to the cage and petting the dog's head. Dubu seemed to understand her because he started to whine and bark alternately with joy. His ears were up and his fluffy tail was wagging swiftly. Jinyiung smiled warmly, seeing the dog's reaction, before he felt Mark's pair of eyes on him. 

    "I'm glad you decided to take him." He said when the volunteer went to the office to prepare adoption papers. He crouched down to pet the dog, inserting his hands between the bars of the cage. Dubu tried to squeeze through the bars to Mark's face, but after several unsuccessful attempts, he began to his hands instead, showing his love and devotion. "I hope he won't come back here." Mark said half jokingly and it was noticeable how he cared about the dog. The dog liked him too, judging from his behavior towards the man. "It's your first dog?" Mark asked while Jinyoung's eyes were fixed on the sight before him. He was in deep trouble, because Mark interested him more and more.

    "Yeah, it is"

    "No offense, but it shows" Mark laughed unexpectedly and Jinyoung's breath hitched at the sight. "You'll have problems at first. Dubu is not a rebellious dog, but he's not a puppy anymore and he will need more time to learn new things." The man said, standing up and before Jinyoung could say anything, he reached out a hand towards him with an angelic smile. "I'm Mark Tuan." 

    "Oh, I'm Park Jinyoung. Nice to meet you." Jinyoung tried to hide his nervousness and hoped that barking dogs will suppress the sound of his heart banging on his chest. 

    "Nice to meet you too-"
 
    "Here! Please, sign here~" the woman suddenly appeared, giving a pen to Jinyoung. He was so nervous and his hands trembled that he couldn't even hold a pen. He wasn't sure if meeting Mark Tuan will do him good. He already feels too many things towards the man and it's just the first day. He hoped to not meet him again, because he feels his mind is messed up enough because of him already.  Mark excused himself, taking another dog to bathe and grooming. When he was walking towards the exit, Jinyoung's attention was still on him, despite the fact that he wasn't listening to what the volunteer was saying to him. Mark turned around sending a shy smile to him behind his shoulder for the last time. If Jinyoung wasn't straight he would surely fall in love at the first sight with him.

 

    Jinyoung wasn't sure whether to say anything about the dog to his girlfriend. He wanted it to be a surprise, but on the other hand, she should also know about that, in the end live together. It seemed to him that his decision might have been too hasty and he should wait with it for a little longer. But the truth is, when he saw Dubu, something in him snapped and he decided to take care of him no matter what. It shouldn't be a problem, after all, Sooyoung loves animals, especially dogs.
 
    Jinyoung waited with dinner for Sooyoung at 10 p.m. She should be home some time ago from work and she still hadn't returned. He didn't want to be a clingy boyfriend by calling her all the time, but has to since he was really worried, especially when she didn't say anything about her meeting her friends today.

    "...Hello!?" Sooyoung answered the phone after a few rings. Jinyoung sighed, hearing the laughter and music in the background. She did it again.

    "Sooyoung-ah, where are you? I'm waiting with a dinner for you..." He said flatly. He felt betrayed again.

    "Oh? I didn't say that I'm going to the karaoke with girls today?" Jinyoung barely heard her and his anger grew with every second. 

    "No, you didn't." How could she say that when they didn't talk for the past few days because of her busy schedule at work? 

    "Sorry, oppa, I'll be back late okay?" The girl said dismissively, trying to end the call as fast as possible making Jinyoung worried even more.

    "Wait, why? I'll come for you-" 

    "No! I mean, no, it's okay… Jiyoon will drive me home" Judging by her voice, Jinyoung sensed that she certainly drank alcohol. He couldn't understand how it happened that they grew apart from each other so much that they don't spend their free time together anymore.

    "But Sooyoung-"

    "Don't wait for me oppa, I'm hanging up!"

    "Sooyoung- Hello? Hello!?" Jinyiung growled, ruffling his hair frustratingly. It's not the first time it happened, but Jinyoung has enough. Their relationship is clearly broken. Something is wrong and Jinyoung has no idea what to do.

 

 

 


 

Okay, I managed to post it today! yay! I know it's not the best and my English still , but I'm going to try writing some more!
Thanks for subscribing and your faith in me and this fic^^ I hope you won't be disappointed...
Thanks for reading! ♡