Memories

Midnight Memories

11:23 PM

 

It was almost midnight and Irene should be ranting and nagging at her best friends to get home. She should've been complaining to them the the party wasn't fun at all and she only got tired from all the dancing she did. She should've been rolling her eyes at all the boys wanting to get her number. She should've been criticizing girls wearing too revealing clothes and sticking their bodies everywhere a man can see them. She should've been on the way to drive her drunk bffs to their homes. She should've been doing all those things by now because she hated going home past midnight for some reasons. But tonight was different. 

If V didn't met Irene tonight, he would have been stuck in that club until 3:00 AM. He would've been sleeping on the VIP lounge until Jin wakes him up and says that he should help him with his drunk hyungs and send them home safely. He would've been complaining about how they never change their club habbits despite Jin's angry-mom-like lectures to every single one of them when they are sober enough to understand. He would've been scrolling over his instagram account after getting a warm shower and then go to sleep. He would've been doing all these mindless things because he lives a boring life as he always say. But tonight was a different story.

Both of them ditched their friends at the club and decided to eat at Irene favorite place to enjoy pizza. As weird it may seem, V liked the idea of pizza in the middle of the night as much as Irene was too hungry to tell him where to go.

"Can I drive instead? It would be easier." Irene suggested.

"You're sober right?" V joked.

"I wouldn't be talking straight if I wasn't." Irene rolled her eyes and then laughed.

"Hahaha, that was funny. Let's switch places now." V started to liked this side of Irene, the sarcastic/fiesty one. He switched places with her after he stopped by the sidewalk. After putting on their seatbelts, Irene started driving. V was silently observing the girl beside him; this is the first time she let a girl drive his car mostly because the girls he used to date do not know how to drive or they're used to having a chauffeur around. The feeling was quite refreshing for him.

"It's rude to stare at people you know." Irene noticed that V was looking at her.

"Sorry, this is a little new for me." V said honestly.

"Really? How come?" Irene asked without tearing her eyes on the road.

"Well, this is the first time I let a girl drive. It's usually me who does all the driving before." V said.

"You must have dated a lot rich girls before." Irene concluded.

"Not really, I only dated twice. None of them knew how to drive."

"Seriously? This is the modern age for goodness sake! Any individual must learn how to drive. And yes, women should be empowered." V chuckled at the girl's statements. Irene was clearly an independent woman of this era and he could not help but admire her more.

"But hey, why did you break up with them? If it's okay to ask." Irene said. She knew she just met this guy and that she has no rights to ask about his past relationships, but she was just curious. How can he only have two relationships? This thought kept her thinking as she manuvers the car with ease.

"I'll tell you when we get to eat." It was all he said. Irene grew more curious ,and at the same time, guilty. She shouldn't have pressed on the topic instead of being some kind of investigator. But since he said so, she just had to listen to him. The ride was silent after that, Irene grew a little awkward but continued to drive to their destination. I am slightly regreting asking him such question. Stupid Joohyun.

They finally arrived the pizza place and V was surprised as he got out of his car.

"Wow. I can't believe this." V said while looking at the place.

"What? Do you not like it?" Irene asked with a pout formed on her face. V had to control himself again because of that. She needs to stop looking like that... Damn!

"Huh? No! It's also my friends favorite hang out place." V answered.

"Really? Wow! What a coincidence!" Irene felt relieved. She initially though V wouldn't like the place because it doesn't seem to be his style. But now that he mentioned that he and his friends frequented the place, she was truly happy. For a moment, the two were just happily smiling at each other. 

"Uhm, we should go inside." As much as she hated breaking the moment, she just had to because she was afraid V would hear her growling stomach.

"Yeah, let's go in."

 

The two entered the pizza place; there were only a few customers at that time so everything was cool. Irene went to the counter to order while V said he had to get something from his car.

"Well well well. Who do we have here? Joohyun?" She immediately knew who the person at the counter was. Here I go again.

"Hello, Minhyuk. I'd like to order." Irene said coldly.

"Still so cold to your oppa huh?" Minhyuk pouted.

"Can you just take my order?" Irene crossed her arms.

"Fine, what would you like to order Joohyun-ah?" Minhyuk said in a teasing voice and Irene just had to cringe from the way he mentioned her name. 

"The usual. Make it quick or I'll tell your manager you don't do your work properly." Since Irene and her friends always go to eat pizza at the said place, they were pretty much close with the staff, even the manager. Everyone was nice and friendly, except for Minhyuk. He was just too friendly. Minhyuk was a flirt. An annoying and noisy flirt that she had to glare at him every single time. Nevertheless, he was still harmless.

"Okay. Guys, Joohyun wants her usual order! Make it quick or she will tell Shownu hyung that I don't do work properly!" He shouted at the kitchen. Just then, V entered and went straight to the counter beside Irene.

"Hey, have you ordered? I'll pay." V took out his card in a flash.

"What? No--" Irene was suddenly cut off by Minhyuk.

"Taehyung? Is that you? Oh, are you guys dating?" Minhyuk asked, much to Irene's annoyance.

"Minhyuk please j--" 

"So you are! Joohyun, why did you not tell me you have a boyfriend already? I am so heartbroken." Minhyuk acted as if his heart was stabbed. Irene facepalmed and V shook his head. Not to mention that their real names were revealed. I am so gonna kill you Minhyuk. 

"Why is it so noisy again?" The manager, Shownu, suddenly came out to the counter and saw a flustered Minhyuk trying not to laugh. "How many times do I have to tell you to keep quiet at work?" He crossed his arms and Minhyuk shook his head. "Sorry hyung. Oh, the orders are done. I--" he was cut off and Shownu shoved him into his office. "Sorry for the nth time Joohyun and ... oh Taehyung-ah! Did you arrive with her?" Shownu asked with interest. "Yes hyung." He replied. "Wait, you know each other? And that brat Minhyuk too?" Irene asked. "Yes, Minhyuk is my cousin and I'm close to his friends too." V said. "Well then, what brings you two here at such an hour? Are you on a date young lady?" Shownu teased. "Please, we came here for pizza. Don't ask anymore questions or I'll strangle you and Minhyuk." Irene glared and Shownu just laughed. Even V was amused by her words. She's cute and fiesty. "Just kidding kiddo, here your orders." Before Irene could pay for their orders, V was fast and swiped his card. Shownu gave him a knowing look. You are one smooth man, Taehyung. "Yah, you didn't have to do that. I'll pay yo-- ouch! What the heck was that for?" Taehyung pinched her cheek. "No need. It's my treat. Come on." V took the orders, grabbed Irene's hand, and went out of the pizza place. "Thanks Shownu hyung! Tell Minhyuk to back off!" He said before dashing out of the main entrance. "Don't do anything stupid Taehyung! I'll beat you into a pulp if you do!" Shownu replied. Ahh, young love.

 

 

V and Irene went straight to the car; this time, V was going to drive. Both of them had a lot of questions going on in their head, but no one uttered a word during the first 10 minutes of the ride. V gathered enough courage to break the silence and ask her, "So, your real name is Joohyun." Irene looked at him and felt shy all of a sudden. "Yes, and you're Taehyung." The moment he heard his name from her, it sounded so beautiful to him. I should use my name more. "Yeah. Kim Taehyung." Irene felt apologetic for not telling him her real name in the first place, but it was never too late to intoduce herself for real this time. "Well then, nice to meet you Taehyung. I'm Bae Joohyun or Irene." She smiled and held out her hand. Taehyung shook her hand whilst driving and replied "Nice to meet you too, Joohyun." Both of them were smiling not just because of they knew each other's names, but because it felt nice to hold each other's hand. Neither of them wanted to let go, but then again V was driving and Irene wouldn't risk getting into an accident so she had to let go of the warmth coming from his hand. "Can I still call you V?" Irene asked. "You can call me anything." V replied and they both laughed. "Okay V." and they laughed again.

 

"So, where are we going to eat these?" Irene asked.

"At my favorite place in the world." V didn't want to spill the beans by saying where they are going to he just gave her a little clue. 

"Well, that place must be special." Irene said.

"It is. You'll find out why later." V grinned. This will be the first time he will bring anyone to that place, and even though he only knew Irene just now, he has this feeling in him that he won't be regretting anything. I'll show you the world, Joohyun. Just wait a little more. Irene had a feeling that this whole thing will be good. She had no idea why she feels so good at the moment, but she was sure that she will definitely have a blast.

"Want me to turn the radio?" V suggested while fousing on the road. "Go ahead then." V immediately his car radio and a really good song just came up. Irene knew the song and exclaimed. "Oh my god, I love this song!" She said and sang along with the song. (SONG)

V had to look at Irene, who was enjoying the music. He didn't even know the song, but just listening to the lyrics makes him understand why she loves it so much. He increased the volume and nodded along with her. "Yah! Taehyung!" Irene shouted. "What?" He shouted back because the music was too loud. "Can you make your car convertible now?" She asked with a loud voice. V did an OK sign with his hands and the car instantly withdrew its cover. Irene felt the cool air of the night against her skin and she shivered. She didn't mind it at all. She actually loved it. She was on a hype and stood up to feel the air more as she sang along to the lyrics of the song. "Hey, be careful!" V shouted through the air but Irene was too busy to hear his protests. He gave up eventually and just let her do her thing. She looks beautiful though.

He glaced at Irene from time to time and admired the charm that overflows from her. He drove into the tunnel as the song continues and Irene seemed more excited to reach the end of the tunnel. V stepped on the gas a little more and soon enough, they reached the end of the tunnel. Adrenaline rushed through their bodies and they screamed out of happiness. Their hearts were pounding hard against their chest. Wow, this is amazing. Irene thought. 

The song was over and changed into a more mellow one so he lessened the volume a little. This time, V knew the song. (SONG2) Irene sat back down and listened to V as he sang along and jammed to the slow yet sensual beat. It was Irene's time to admire V as he holds the stirring wheel with his right hand and his left hand leaning against the car window. The way the moonlight hits all his features and how it softened his face was truly majestic for Irene. His husky and deep voice eachoed into her ears and she was amazed. Everything about this guy she just met at the club was striking and awfully attractive. She couldn't believe this was all true. Is he even real? Little did she knew that V was aware of her prolonged stares but just shrugged it off becaused he liked the feeling. She didn't know of her heart was pounding because she was just recovering from the rush she had earlier or is it just because of V. What's happening to me? 

Soon enough, the song ended and both of them felt tired. They accidentally looked at each other and just laughed. "Are we almost there? I'm afraid the pizza is cold by now." Irene asked. "Yes, we're actually here." V replied as he stopped in front of a huge abandoned building, almost near the outskirts of Seoul. With all due honesty, Irene felt chills run down her spine. It was kind of creepy and scary. What is this place? V felt Irene tensed up as she didn't dare move an inch so he took of her seat belt and waved at her face. "Hello? Earth to Irene? Are you still there?" Irene got back to her senses and replied "Y-yeah." V smiled. She must be scared. He took the pizza from the backseat and went out of his car. He opened the door for Irene who had a poker face on but her hands were cold as he held them. "Don't be scared. This place is amazing, I promise." He gave her hand a light squeeze before they started walking towards the old building. If it weren't for the old lamps around, the entire building would be consumed in darkness.The place was dusty and had a lot of spider webs so she mustered up all her courage and coldness to ask V "What the heck is this place? Are you some kind of gangster to bring me here?" She withdrew her hand from him and stopped walking. V turned to her direction just a few steps behind him and chuckled. "I'm no gangster Irene. Sure, this place is creepy but when you get up there, you'll see the world." He spoke with so much sincerity  that Irene wanted to waver. "Just...trust me on this okay?" He offered his hand to her again, which she took without another word. The two walked a little more until they reached an elevator. Seriously? The elevator works? Irene wondered how a run-down place could still have an elevator running like nothing happened. Just then the doors opened and she was monentarily blinded by the bright lights inside. They entered and V pressed 63. "How is there an amazing elevator in this abandoned building?" She raised a brow at him. "I paid some people to make it work. When I first discovered this place, I took the stairs. You wouldn't want to tire yourself right?" He replied. "You must be crazy to take the stairs." She joked. "I was. But I figured that making this thing work would make me less crazy." This time, they bursted out laughing until they reached their destination.

 

Irene's jaw dropped. "Oh my god!"