C. 2

Was Always Here

Sunmi walks into the private room Jaejoong had gotten for Yubin and almost burst into tears again when she sees her little angel attached to several machines. "Mommy?" Yubin crooks, weakly lifting her head to look at her mom. With the biggest smile Sunmi could muster up at the moment she walks over to sit down next to her daughter. "How are you feeling?" She asks gently Yubin's face.
 
"They gave me a big needle and that really hurt... Mommy am I really really sick?" Sunmi bits down on her lips when she feels the tears coming back "you are, but only for a little bit. Your daddy and I are going to make everything go away though. I promise." Yubin tiredly nods her head "where's daddy?" Sunmi smiles "he's out there making sure you have the best doctor."  Sunmi watches as Yubin slowly closes her eyes with and nod "mommy?"
 
"Yes baby?"
 
"I am sorry for being sick..."
 
And as Yubin slowly drifts off to sleep Sunmi silently cries to herself while tightly clutching onto Yubin's tiny hands.
 
 
 
When Jaejoong is done with the paper work and going through every available options for Yubin he walks into the room to see his little angel and Sunmi asleep. Softening his walks over to the other side of the bed and sits down. His heart aches at the huge bruise forming on Yubin's leg where tests where performed. Who would've thought they'd be in such a situation? Just last weekend Yubin was over at his place playing house and having tea parties with him and just 7 days ago she was completely fine and healthy, but all of a sudden she has Leukemia. How could something happen so suddenly without much of a warning? It makes him think about how unexpected and fast life really is. He thinks he finally know what people really mean when they say "live your life without regrets".
 
Slowly he looks up at his ex-wife. She was nearing 30 but she didn't even look a day over 20, she was just as captivatingly beautiful as he remembered her. The only evident change he really notices is the dark circles forming under her eyes.
 
Jaejoong is so completely lost in his thinking he doesn't even see Sunmi stir awake. "Jaejoong?" Sunmi reaches across the bed and gently pats him on the hand breaking him out of his trance. "Jaejoong if you're tired you can go home first. I can  stay with Yubin." Jaejoong shakes his head no "I'll stay. We can take turns looking after her." Sunmi doesn't argue as she sits back in her seat.
 
"What did the doctors say?" Sunmi asks looking down at her daughter.  Jaejoong runs a hand through his hair and sighs "the good news, if you can even consider it good news, is that she's only in her first stage. The doctors are going to test both you and I and see if we're a match for Yubin."
 
She looks up at him with worry evident on her face "and if we're not?"
 
"Then we wait for a donor while going through chemo…" A tear runs down her face "I should've known something was wrong with her. I should've brought her to the doctor sooner." Jaejoong gives her a stern look "it's not your fault, there was nothing you could've done."
 
"I am her mom! I should've known something was off…" Jaejoong stalks over to Sunmi's side and pulls her out of her seat. "Look at me Sunmi, there. Was. Absolutely. Nothing. You. Could've. Done." he enunciated every word for her to hear "I know it's hard, but Yubin needs her mom to be strong. She needs the both of us to be strong." Sunmi nods as she clutches onto his arm. "Sunmi? I know we've gone our separate ways, but during this time if you need a shoulder to lean on then remember I am right here."
 
 
 
Sunmi looks down at the bruise that is starting to form on her leg, acting as a reminder of the pain she had to go through just to get tested. Her heart ached at just the thought of her daughter having to go through something similar to this every day. How is Yubin suppose to fight something so painful?
 
"Mommy?" Yubin quietly speaks as she wakes up from her sleep. "Yes baby?"
 
She looks up at her mom "When can I go home?"
 
Sunmi holds onto her little girl's hand with a small frown etched on her face "right now you'll have to stay here for a little longer, but only until you get better."
 
Yubin nods in understanding "mommy?"
 
"mhmmm?"
 
"I'll drink all my medicine and take all my needles. I promise to get better so you don't have to be sad." Suddenly tears are welling in Sunmi's eyes. How could her daughter still be so strong when she could barely hold onto herself? Pulling Yubin into her arms Sunmi holds onto tight "Yubin, mommy will be strong for you so don't you worry about me."
 
"Guess who I have with me??" Jaejoong exclaims the moment he walks into the room with his hands behind his back. Curiously Yubin pulls away from her mom and crawls over to her dad and tries to take a peak at the object her dad is holding, only for him to pull away.
 
"I bought this special friend to keep you accompanied, but he needs extra care so he'll only come out to meet you if you promise me one thing" Yubin eagerly nods her head "promise me you'll stay strong so you can always protect him forever and ever okay?"
 
Yubin jumps up and nods "I promise to be really really strong so I can protect him!" Smiling Jaejoong pulls out a pretty sparkly blue bear. "It's so pretty!" Yubin excitingly exclaims immediately pulling the stuffed animal into her arms "it can be cotton candy's best friend!" Settling back into her spot Yubin quickly shows it to her mom who tells her that the bear is really pretty. Gently she cradles the bear in her arms "Daddy says you need extra care so you must be sick like me, but don't worry I'll quickly get better so I can help you get better. You'll like cotton candy she's really nice."
 
Sunmi who was watching on the side the whole time can't help but let a tear slide down her face. Quickly she stands up and excuses herself to the washroom, not wanting Yubin to see her cry. However, Yubin does notice as she sadly looks at the door her mom left in. "Daddy?"
 
"Yes baby?" Jaejoong asked, settling down next to his daughter. Yubin looks up at her dad "I think mommy is really hurt. Is it because of me?" Jaejoong looks at the 5 year old, surprised. "Why do you think mommy is hurt?"
 
"Sometimes I hear her cry in her sleep. And now mommy doesn't smile that much and her eyes is always red. Daddy? Is it my fault mommy is sad? Is she crying because I am sick?" Jaejoong pulls his daughter on to his lap "of course its not your fault. Mommy is just hurt because you're hurt. She doesn't like to see her little angel in any sort of pain. So if you want to see her smile again then you have to work hard to fight off the bad disease that's making your mommy sad okay??"
 
Yubin eagerly nods her head "Daddy can I ask you for a favour?"
 
"Anything"
 
"Until I get better can you help me protect mommy from her scary dreams? Mommy sometimes get sad but if you give her a hug she'll feel all better. I am sick so I won't be able to give her a lot of hug. So for now can you help me hug her? Only until I get better."
 
Jaejoong hugs his daughter close and promises her that he'll do everything to help Sunmi as well as Yubin herself.
 
When Yubin falls asleep a little later, Jaejoong stands up and leaves to find Sunmi who still isn't back. He doesn't have to go far as she's crouching just outside the room with her head in her arms. He gently calls out for her and very slowly she lifts her head. Instantly he knows she's heard everything based on the tears around her eyes.
 
"W-why does it have to be Yubin?... why our daughter?" She cries looking up at him.
 
For the first time Jaejoong has no answer because he's been asking himself the same question since they've got here. He doesn't say anything but does the only thing he promised his daughter he'd do, he pulls Sunmi into his arms and does his best to comfort her even though he's also crying along her side.