C. 1

Was Always Here

"Mommy hurry!! Daddy's waiting downstairs" 5 year old, Yubin, hollers at her mom as she quickly stuffs Cotton Candy, her pink teddy bear, into her backpack. Sunmi comes down the stairs with her bag and smiles at how excited her daughter is. Laughing to herself she purposely slows down as she takes her time coming down the stairs. "Come on mommy! What if daddy gets tired of waiting!" Yubin exclaims, grabbing hold of her mom's hand and proceeding to drag her down. Both Yubin and Sunmi knows that Jaejoong, her ex-husband and Yubin's dad, would wait downstairs in the lobby until he sees his daughter, but nevertheless Sunmi does as her daughter instructs her to.

 

Yubin is usually a very patient and calm little girl for her age, but once a month, on the 2 weekend of the month, she would get all excited and riled up because it's the only day she gets to spend the entire day with her parents as a 'real' family. Ever since Jaejoong and Sunmi went through a divorce 3 years ago , Yubin has been spending time separately with each of her parent, however, for the sake of Yubin they've agreed to free up time, from work and their personal affairs, that one weekend so their daughter can get a sense of what a family is.

 

"Yubin, honey, slow down you're going to get hurt!" Sunmi  exclaims as she watches her daughter run out the elevator and right into her dad's arms. "Daddy!!" Yubin excitingly screams as she throws herself at her dad. Jaejoong crouches down to catch his daughter with a smile on his face. "How was your week?" he asks as he peppers her face with kisses. Giggling she launches into a speech about her week at school and how Minji, her best friend, had gotten a puppy.  Jaejoong attentively listens to every single word she says before he fells a presence by his side. He looks down and sees his ex-wife in a pretty white dress. He slightly smiles down at her, but neither say anything to each other aside from a little good morning.

 

"I wanna go to the park! Can we daddy?" Yubin asks, as she cups her dad's face and turns it towards her. Jaejoong laughs as he tweaks her nose "we can and we will after we have breakfast. I found this one place that serves chicken and waffle for breakfast! What do you think? Should we give it a try?" Both Sunmi and Jaejoong can't help but burst into laughter when their daughter rubs her stomach and her lips with a loud "yum!"

 

 

 

"Yubin be careful!" Sunmi exclaims as she watches Yubin make a run towards the playground after Jaejoong put her down. Yubin screams out an 'okay mom' before running towards the last empty swing. Sunmi sighs as she sits herself down on an empty bench, Jaejoong sitting next to her.

 

Things are silent between the both of them and a slightly awkward air surrounds the two of them, yet no one tries to break the silence. Jaejoong and Sunmi, both still find it hard to speak comfortably around one another after their ugly divorce. On one hand Jaejoong still holds slight resentment towards his ex-wife for adamantly requesting for divorce no matter how much he had begged for her to reconsider. On the other hand, Sunmi can't find it in herself to forgive herself for breaking Jaejoong's heart. Though they both can't find it in them to make things workout between them, for the sake of their daughter they have both agreed to put away their differences and push their problems aside just so Yubin can enjoy one family weekend together.

 

Silence continues to pursue on until Jaejoong can't handle the awkward air around them anymore. "So how is work?" he asks turning his head to glance at her. He finds it amusing how such a simple and ordinary question can stir up such a surprise look on Sunmi's face. It weird how such a simple question can elicit such as reaction from her when in fact they've been past the awkward greeting stage years ago. However, despite what they’ve been through, they are now back to their acquaintance stage, with their daughter being the only reason why they still meet up.

 

Sunmi curls a loose strand of hair behind her ears and looks out at her daughter "it's… It's good. Busy but good.  What about you?" Jaejoong leans back on the bench "busy. Lots of paper work and meetings." Her lips curls up into a small smile "Is your-" She doesn't get to finish as her question is interrupted by the blaring of his cellphone. He apologizes and tells her he needs to take the call, she doesn't say anything but nods understandingly.

 

When Jaejoong is gone to talk on his phone around the corner, Sunmi goes back to watching her daughter play. Her eyes immediately narrow in on Yubin's tiny fist constantly rubbing her eyes. Pulling out a wet napkin from her bag, Sunmi gets up and makes her way towards her daughter. "Kim Yubin" she says when she's close enough "you're going to get sand in your eyes if you keep rubbing your eyes with your dirty hands" she scolds as she pulls Yubin's hands away from her eyes to wipe them down.

 

Yubin slightly shakes her head and tips over a little before regaining her balance. "Baby is something in your eyes?" Sunmi asks when Yubin reaches up to rub her eyes again. "No, but I feel dizzy." "Then do you want to go home? We can come back another day." Quickly Yubin shakes her head "no mommy! I am okay! Today's the last day as a family! We won't be together until next month!" She sadly exclaims about to burst into tears. Sunmi softens and gently runs her hand down her daughter's head "I was only giving you options, f you want to stay then we'll stay, but you are to tell me if it gets worst alright?" Throwing her mom a smile Yubin quickly nods her head and gives her mom a hug and a kiss.

 

Once minute Sunmi is crouched at her spot watching her daughter run off towards the playground and then everything just happens in slow motion as she watches her daughter collapse to the floor. "YUBIN!" Sunmi heart stops as she quickly makes her way over to her unconscious little girl. "Jaejoong!!" Sunmi cries for her ex-lover in panic.

 

When Jaejoong sees Yubin on the floor in her mother's arms he quickly forgets about his call and runs over to them. "What happened?!" Sunmi shakes her head as a tear runs down her face "I-I was just talking to her and then she... Jae what do we do??" Jaejoong's heart tears at her helpless cries but he quickly pushes it aside in favor of picking up his daughter. "Let's quickly go to the hospital."

 

Jaejoong urges Sunmi into the back seat then gently places Yubin down in her lap before rushing over to the driver's side. "Yubin baby please be okay..." Sunmi cries as she wipes away the sweat on her daughter's forehead. "Sunmi she's going to be alright. She probably just overdid herself at the playground" he says trying his best to reassure both himself and Sunmi.

 

 

Sunmi is pacing back and forth in the hospital hallways as she waits for the doctor to check on Yubin while Jaejoong is sitting quietly in a corner. "Sunmi, come sit down. Yubin's going to be fine." Sunmi turns to look at Jaejoong with worried eyes "how can you be so sure?"

 

"I am can't. I just know whatever happens we'll both do everything in our power to make sure she's okay, she's our daughter." Feeling a little more reassured Sunmi sits down next to Jaejoong.

 

"Is Yubin's family here?" A nurse asks a little while later. At once Sunmi and Jaejoong is up on their feet and following the nurse to the doctor's office. "Please sit" the doctors says as he looks through Yubin's files. When the couple sits down the doctor straightens up to looks at them "I would like to talk about Yubin's condition. Have she been experiencing feelings of dizziness for a while now or are they new?" When Sunmi doesn't answer Jaejoong turns over to look at her to find her all nervous and shaking. Reaching out with a comforting hand he holds onto her hands "Sunmi? Answer the doctor". Nervously she looks up at the doctor "Y-Yubin  she's been complaining about feeling dizzy from time to time but I-I just assumed she wasn't getting enough sleep or eating enough." The doctor nods "and what about headaches?" Sunmi shakes her head no.

 

When the doctor doesn't say anything and the atmosphere in the run turns more tense Jaejoong and Sunmi both can't help but think the worst. "What is really wrong with our daughter?" Jaejoong speaks up.

 

Sunmi's heart drops to the deepest pit of her stomach when she sees the pity look in the doctor's eyes. She holds onto Jaejoong's hand tighter in fear of what is to come. "We've run some test on Yubin. At first it looked like fatigue, but we ran more scans just to be sure." He pulls out a sheet from his folder and places it in front of them "this is Yubin's blood cell count, as you can see there seems to be an overwhelming number of abnormal white blood cells. Because of this abnormal rate it is impairing Yubin's body from developing enough red blood cells" the doctor explains as he points to a chart. "What does it all mean?" Jaejoong asked,  doing his very best to keep calm.

 

The doctor looks back at the couple "Well we've run several test and scans just to be completely confident. I am really sorry to be delivering you this news, but Yubin has cancer, specifically Leukemia. It looks like she's only in her first stage so we-" Sunmi stands up angry as her hands balls into tight fists by her side "Yubin does not have cancer!" she angrily shouts. When Jaejoong reaches out for her arms to pull her back down she angrily pulls away from him. "You must've done something wrong or you're reading the wrong files! My daughter doesn't have cancer! She's only 5! You're wrong!" Sunmi exclaims before storming out the room in tears despite Jaejoong calling after her.

 

"I am sorry doctor she just-" "I completely understand. It's hard for any parents to take in.  I have a few things I would still like to discuss with the both of you so when Ms.Song is ready we will discuss it at a later time." Jaejoong gives a stiff nod and thanks the doctor before walking out to find Sunmi. He doesn't walk far until he finds Sunmi around the corner crouched down against the wall crying. He doesn't say anything as he leans against the wall beside her and silently cries as well.

 

It's not until he has calmed himself did he reach down and pull Sunmi up and into his arms. She doesn't pull away or struggle instead she tightly clutches onto his shirt and continues to cry. "Y-Yubin.... what are we going to do? Jae...our Yubin. What do we do? She's all I have" she helplessly cries. Doing his best to hold back his tears he tightly holds onto the fragile women "we'll get through this. Yubin is a strong girl she'll fight this and then there's us. We'll do everything we can to help her, we won't let her go without a fight." 

 

-----------------------------------------

* NOT EDITED