an outdoor adventure

an outdoor adventure

You literally thought you might die. You’ve never liked hiking. Ever. So how exactly did you find yourself in the middle of the woods, trekking up a rocky path, trying your hardest to catch your breath, and trying not fall over the cliff to your untimely demise? The answer to this question, of course, is Kim Taehyung. Your wonderful adventurous boyfriend who always liked to take you on spontaneous outings and always insisted that you would love them. Now, while you did love the time they allowed you to spend with him, you weren’t always the biggest fan of the activity itself.

You don’t consider yourself to be an athletic person at all and you find exercise to be a less than fun way to pass the time, but Taehyung had woken you up early this morning with his signature big smile, all excited like a kid on christmas day, saying how beautiful the weather was and how you just had to go hiking. Normally you would automatically say no to such a request because you knew that you detested hiking, but something about Taehyung’s excited smile pulled at your heartstrings and made you unable to say no.

But wait. Not only did he say you had to go hiking today - because that would have been bad enough - he insisted on bringing camping supplies and hiking to a remote campground in the middle of the woods where you would spend the evening. Camping was another activity that you swore you would never do again, because your parents had taking you camping a few too many times as a child and beat the love of it right out of you. Yet here you were, hiking up a steep and rocky path with a bunch of camping equipment strapped to your back.

“Taehyunggggggg,” you whine, mustering up all the breath you have left in your body in order to make it audible, “please tell me we’re almost there. I feel like I’m going to collapse.”

“Awwwww is a little hike too much work for you?” Taehyung says in a jokingly overly condescending voice while smiling at you.

“I’m literally going to kill you and stage it to look like a tragic hiking accident” you say while trying your best to give him a menacing glare and not trip over the rocks at the same time.

He just laughs at you and continues hiking, glancing back at you every now and again to make sure you haven’t fallen over or been eaten by a bear.

He notices that you’ve fallen a bit behind so he jogs back to where you are. “Only a few more minutes, I promise!” Taehyung says with his never dimming smile. “You can do it!” He grabs your hand and starts swinging it back and forth between you. “Isn’t this just so much fun Y/N? the sky is so blue and the birds are chirping and the air is so crisp!” Taehyung exclaims, looking around with wide eyes.

As much as you really were not enjoying the physical exhaustion that was accompanying this hike, you adore seeing Taehyung so happy. You glance over to him and he’s practically walking with a skip in his step, that’s how excited he is, and you can’t help but smile at your adorable boyfriend.

“What are you looking so happy about? I thought you hated hiking?” Taehyung asks you curiously.

“You’re just too adorable, Taehyung, I seriously can’t hate anything if I’m doing it with you,” you explain to him. The biggest and cutest smile breaks out on his face and you swear you’ve never loved a sight more.

“Well would you look at that!” Taehyung nearly shouts. “While you were busy admiring my beautiful face, we made it to the campsite.” Taehyung drops his oversized camping gear and runs to the middle of the small clearing you just arrived at. He spreads his arms out to his sides and takes a deep breath. “Look how perfect this spot is Y/N,” he says with a giant smile on his face. “This is exactly what I thought camping would be like!”

You were smiling at him but your smile falters when you hear the last sentence. “Taehyung… please tell me that you’ve been camping before,” you beg him with nervousness growing inside you as every second passes.

“Nope! This is my first time and I’m so happy it’s with you, my beautiful wonderful girlfriend,” he says happily, completely missing the fact you look like you’ve just seen a ghost.

“Oh my god tae, how did I not know you’ve never been camping before? The last time I went camping I was like 12, so my camping skills are limited to say the least,” you say to him with a worried look.

“Aw Y/N! We’re gonna be fine! Setting up camping equipment can’t be that hard and it’s all part of the camping experience,” he says, still 100% unfazed by your worry.

“Taehyung, I can guarantee you won’t be thinking that when we’re getting mauled by bears later because we didn’t know how to properly set up a tent,” you say, only half joking.

“Don’t worry! I’ll fight off the bears with my bare hands in order to keep you safe,” Taehyung jokes, immediately bursting out into laughter at his own terrible pun.

While Taehyung is still laughing at his own ridiculous joke, you unstrap the gear from your back and place it on the ground, beginning to unpack. “Come on Tae, half the fun of camping is setting up and it’s going to get dark soon so we need to hurry,” you say while continuing to unpack. “Let’s try to set up the tent first, that’s the most important part.”

“Okay, Kim Taehyung at your service!” he says while jokingly saluting you. “I even bought a brand new tent because my princess deserves only the best,” he says while taking out a never been used tent from his pack.

Well this should be interesting you think to yourself.

Taehyung actually proves to be pretty good at understanding the instructions. You can tell that he’s having fun, as you look over to him on the ground surrounded by tent parts while reading the manual. He looks so adorable you think. Seeing him having this much fun is worth potentially getting eaten by bears.

“Okay I think I know how to do this Y/N,” Taehyung says, peeling his eyes off the manual and looking up at you. “Let’s make a tent!”

You spread the tarp on the ground and then lay out the tent on top. Taehyung grabs the tent poles and you team up to thread them through the slots on top of the tent. Once the poles were through the appropriate parts, you and Taehyung picked them up off the ground and attempted to attach them to the bottom of the tent. The sun was quickly setting and you were getting worried that you wouldn’t get everything set up before it gets dark and the temperature drops.

“Okay Tae, I got my side of the pole attached to the tent, how are you doing with your side?” you ask while trying to peer around the tent to monitor his progress.

“I think I’ve almost g-” Taehyung starts to say, but is cut off when he accidentally lets go of the pole he’s holding and it swings out and smacks him right in the face.

“Ahhh!” Taehyung yells as he falls over while holding his face in pain.

“Oh my god Taehyung, are you okay!?” you shriek, running over to where he’s lying on the ground and trying to pry his hands away from his face so you can assess the damage. You see glimpses of red and internally start to panic, worrying that he’s seriously hurt.

“I’m okay, I’m okay!” Taehyung tries to reassure you. He eventually removes his hands from his face so you can take a look at it. Much to your relief, he only has a shallow cut on his cheek that will only need some minor tending to. Taehyung looks down at his hands and notices all the blood. “Oh my god, I’m bleeding?” he says, sounding mildly panicked.

“Don’t worry babe,” you gently say to him, “it’s just a small cut and it’s not deep, just don’t touch it and let me go and get the first aid kit so I can fix you up so you’re all good and new again!”

You walk over to your pack and grab a water bottle and the small first aid kit that Taehyung was smart enough to bring. You walk back over to him, sitting across from him on the ground, making him face you.

“Just sit still and let me clean it okay? We don’t want it to get infected,” you say to him while you get the medical supplies ready. You unscrew the cap of the water bottle and tip Taehyung’s head back, using a bit of the clean water to wash out his cut. “This might hurt a little,” you say while opening the antiseptic wipe to clean the wound. He flinches a bit at when you make contact but you can tell it’s amusing him to have you tending to him so carefully.

“You would make a really cute nurse, you know that?” Taehyung jokes as you continue patching him up. “Maybe I’ll get hurt more often so I can have you looking all cute and concerned while looking after me more.”

You just laugh at his cute antics as you finish up cleaning his face, applying a bandage after it’s clean. “There!” you say happily. “Just as good as new!” you say while leaning in and giving him a gentle kiss over the bandage on his face. You pull away just as your body is wracked with shivers.

“Sorry I didn’t tell you I don’t really know how to put up a tent or do anything else involved with camping,” Taehyung says to you while standing back up. “Now it’s getting really cold and dark and the tent isn’t even up yet,” he says a bit sadly.

“Aw it’s okay, Taehyung! We can still get this finished! You just need a can do attitude!” you joke with him, pretending to be overly chipper. You and Taehyung make quick work of finishing putting up the tent, making sure that no one else gets a pole to the face. Once the tent is complete, it’s completely black outside and the temperature has dropped dramatically.

You notice Taehyung looking up at the sky with an odd look on his face. “What’s the matter?” you ask him, hoping nothing is wrong.

“Don’t you think it’s a bit weird we can’t see the stars? Or the moon? I mean there weren’t any clouds earlier right? Do you think they just came?” he asked you, making a very good point. As soon as he finishes his statement, you hear it. A sound that no camper ever wants to hear when they’re in the middle of the woods with only a flimsy tent to protect them from the elements of nature. Thunder.

“Taehyung… did you by any chance check the weather report for tonight?” you ask him, hoping the answer is yes and that it was supposed to be a clear night.

“....No,” Taehyung answers, looking away from you a bit guiltily. But he quickly brings his eyes back up to yours to start his defense. “I was just so excited to be able to go camping and the weather looked so nice, I didn’t think it would change this fa-” his sentence is interrupted by a loud clap up thunder, and rain immediately starts pouring from the sky.

“Taehyung!” you shriek, grabbing for his hand and running for the tent. Taehyung makes sure to grab your packs so all your belongings don’t get wet and you guys practically dive into the tent before you’re soaked through. You fall down in a laughing and slightly wet heap on the tent floor. “It’s really not camping without a surprise thunderstorm honestly,” you say laughing. “Let’s just hope this new tent you bought is good enough to keep out the water.”

You notice that Taehyung has gone awfully quiet and he’s rarely quiet so it worries you a bit. “Hey Tae, are you alright?” you ask him.

“I’m sorry,” he says seriously, looking a little sad.

“What are you talking about? You have nothing to be sorry for,” you say to him.

“I really messed this up. First I made you go hiking even though you don’t like hiking and then I didn’t tell you I don’t know anything about camping so it took us forever to get the tent set up and I got hurt which made it take even longer and then I didn’t check the weather and now it’s pouring rain and I’m sorry this trip has been so awful,” he confesses, looking like a sad and damp kicked puppy. You can’t stand seeing him look sad so you scoot over to him and wrap your arms around him, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“You couldn’t be more wrong,” you start, “I’ve had nothing but fun today Taehyung! I’ll admit, hiking isn’t my favourite thing in the world but like I said earlier, everything and anything with you is fun.” You look deeply into his eyes so he knows that you’re being honest with him. “Camping isn’t camping without a few accidents and even though I don’t like seeing you get hurt, tending to your wounds is always a little bit fun and I know you think it’s cute! Also, what’s the true camping experience without an unexpected thunderstorm?” you explain to him, looking into his eyes and giving him a reassuring smile.

“So you really had fun today?” he asks with a hopeful look in his eyes.

“Of course I did! Every day with you is fun, no matter what we do! And this will make for a great story one day,” you say.

“You’re the best and sweetest girlfriend in the entire world, did you know that?” Taehyung says sweetly, while wrapping his arms around you.

You can hear the storm picking up in intensity and your whole tent shakes with the pressure of the rain and the strength of the wind. “Come on Tae, let’s unpack the sleeping stuff because I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted and so ready to sleep,” you suggest to him.

Taehyung starts unpacking the sleeping mats and the sleeping bags and you can almost see when he gets an idea because he visibly perks up. He turns to you with an excited glint in his eye and says, “I have an idea! How about we zip the two sleeping bags we brought together to make one giant one and that way we can sleep together!”

You can’t help but laugh at how cute your boyfriend is and your heart feels warm in your chest because of how much you love him. You lean over and give him a sweet kiss. “That sounds absolutely perfect Tae,” you say.

So while Taehyung gets to work zipping your sleeping bags together, you roll out the sleeping mat on the tent floor. Once Taehyung is done, you quickly change out of your damp clothes and he does the same. Both of you climb into the now giant sleeping bag and Taehyung puts his arm around you and lays your head on his chest.

“Aw babe, you’re so cold. You should have told me,” he says when he feels how cold your skin is.

“It’s okay. Luckily I have my personal space heater with me,” you joke while snuggling into him.

The sound of the rain on the tent is almost deafening but it’s also quite calming. What’s not calming however, is the occasional very loud claps of thunder that keep making you jump. A particularly close sounding one makes you flinch into Taehyung and you cuddle into him a little closer.

“Hey hey hey,” he says softly. “It’ll be okay. Don’t be scared of the thunder, I’m right here with you,” he continues in his soft tones. He your hair with smooth gentle touches and leans in to kiss you on the forehead.

Although the thunder was scary, you were enjoying laying in Taehyung’s arms. You feel warm and safe in his embrace, and he pulls the sleeping bag tighter around you both. The sleeping bags that he brought were also new so they were quite comfortable and you silently thank him for buying good camping supplies.

In the tent with Taehyung, it almost feels as if you two are the only people in the world, and you find yourself not minding it at all.

“Doesn’t the rain sound nice Y/N? I mean it won’t be so nice if it gets into the tent but at least it sounds cool,” Taehyung says in a sleepy voice.

“Yeah I’ve always liked the sound of rain on canvas, it’s so peaceful,” you say, just loud enough to be heard over the noise. “Although I could really do without the thunder,” you add with a laugh in your voice. “Seriously though, thanks so much for taking me out here Taehyung. Sometimes it’s nice to just get away and be able to spend some time together.”

“It’s my pleasure. You know I love spending time with my girl,” he says sweetly.

“I love you Taehyung.” you say into his chest.

“I love you too,” Taehyung replies quietly, and you can tell that he’s on the edge of sleep. You wrap your arm around his torso and hug him even closer as you drift into unconsciousness. You haven’t always had the best opinion of camping in the past, but as you lie with Taehyung in the tent in the middle of the woods, surrounded by nothing but forest and enjoying each others company, you think that camping might not be as bad as you thought.