Target One

Between Love and Romance
chapter two: target one

"What about Woohyun?" Myungsoo suggested, thinking through his friends.

"Isn't Woohyun a total player?" Jooyeon frowned.

"That's true. You've rejected three guys already, Yeonjoo."

She rolled her eyes in response, "That's because you've been giving me ty choices. How come none of my friends have flaws but yours are all either taken, gay, or a douche bag."

"Girls are just easier to choose from, ok?"

"Are you calling us easy or saying we're better than boys?" Jooyeon raised a brow.

"No, no. We're not starting this. I'm trying to help us choose targets, not pick a fight. Wait-" Myungsoo suddenly stopped before standing up, startling Jooyeon, "Can I have Joohyun?" 

"No, no. Joohyun is my best friend. I'm not letting you touch her with those," she gestures towards his hands, shaking hers in disgust, "nasty hands."

Myungsoo shot a glare at her before raising his hands, bringing them up to her face, and giving her forehead a clear and loud flick. Before Jooyeon could attack him in response, Myungsoo shot up and made a run out of her room. Jooyeon quickly sprinted after him, screaming his name with a string of curse words following. 

The pair spend nearly half an hour chasing after one another. The chase traveled out and into the streets. With her shorter legs, Jooyeon found it difficult to catch up to Myungsoo. Her voice screeched through the neighborhood, resulting in angry neighbors storming out of their houses.

Eventually, the two were caught by the angry mob and stood next to each other, hands by their sides.

"I'm sorry for the trouble," the two bent over in a ninety bow.

They took turns apologizing to the neighbors, attempting to not laugh as the other spoke.

Jooyeon and Myungsoo stood perfectly as they walked away. The second they were out of sight, the two broke out in laughter, holding each other for support.

The laughter died down and Jooyeon looked up at Myungsoo. Her smile immediately dropped and as they let go of each other, Myungsoo stared into her eyes in a way he had never before.

She cleared and let go of him, "Wasn't I just mad at you?"

"Were you now?"

"Ugh, just buy me coffee and I'll forgive you. Consider yourself lucky."

Myungsoo swung an arm around her and patted her shoulder, "Ok, this oppa will be the bigger person and apologize first."

  

At the nearby cafe, Jooyeon went to the bathroom as Myungsoo waited in line to order. As she turned the corner, her body hit another and spilled the coffee in the person's hands.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry," she gasped, looking at her mess.

"Don't worry about it. It's fine," the stranger replied.

"No, I mean-" her eyes traveled up and met an extremely attractive pair.

"It's really ok. I was planning on spilling coffee on this shirt anyway," the attractive stranger said with a grin.

Jooyeon couldn't help but laugh at his words, "And I really want to make up for it. God, I'm such a klutz. I'm left alone for a second and already ed up."

"Left alone? Are you here with someone?" 

"Yeah, I'm here with a friend," she turned around to gesture to Myungsoo in line, but he was standing right there.

Myungsoo pointed at the boy, "Oh- Jae!"

"Myungsoo! What are you doing here?" 'Jae' asked in surprise. 

"I'm here with this klutz right here," he rest his forearm on Jooyeon's head and leaned against her.

"So the famous Kim Myungsoo really is dating. Well, looks like you picked the prettiest out of the group of fangirls," Jae nodded approvingly.

Jooyeon was about to speak up before hearing the second part of his sentence. She glanced down at the floor and smiled, slightly flustered. 

"Me? Date this scrub? That's funny, Jae. No, this is my best idiot friend, Kim Jooyeon."

Jooyeon huffed in frustration and stepped to her left, letting Myungsoo fall over, "I would never in my right mind date this scumbag playboy."

"That's good to hear. It's nice meeting you, Jooyeon," Jae chuckled, holding a hand out for Jooyeon.

Lightly biting down on her lip, she reached out and took his hand. His hands were much larger than hers. They were warm and badly callused. His grip was tight, but not in a way that hurt. She felt immediate trust in the boy just from a simple hand shake.

"It's nice meeting you, too. Wait, how do you two know each other?"

Myungsoo opened his mouth, but Jae quickly intercepted, "We go to the same school. I transferred here this year from the U.S."

"Oh, really? That's really cool! Where in the states?"

"LA," he replied with a click of tongue, acting cool.

Myungsoo stood awkwardly next to them and cleared his throat, "Well, I'll leave the two of you to get to know each other."

He sighed with a hint of jealous before heading towards the door. As he was about to leave, Jooyeon spun and grabbed his wrist. A wave of relief went over Myungsoo as he felt her small hands around his wrist. He turned back around to face her, expecting her to ask him to stay.

"I didn't bring money because you were going to pay. Give me money before you go," Jooyeon said with her out.

With a roll of his eyes, Myungsoo slapped his hand against hers and left.

"What's with him?" Jooyeon scrunched her eyebrows and frowned, "He owes me coffee."

"I'll treat you today then. How's that?" Jae offered.

Jooyeon shook her head, "I literally just spilled coffee all over you. If anyone is treating anyone, it should be me. Ugh, I promise I'll pay you back."

"Does this mean you'll see me again?" Jae raised a brow.

"Y-Yes," Jooyeon stuttered.

A sweet laugh came from Jae, causing Jooyeon's stomach to do flips, "That sounds like a plan then. What would you like?"

"Caramel macchiato."

"Ok, caramel macchiato for the klutz."

  

Jae and Jooyeon sat across from each other at a table for two. Unlike what Jooyeon expected, there wasn't even a moment of silence. Laughter filled the cafe as Jae attempted to dance to the music playing. Jooyeon shook her head and hid behind her hands, embarrassed.

"You're actually so dumb," she laughed.

"I beg to differ. You see this right here?" he pinched his shirt sleeve, showing it to her, "Boyfriend material right here."

"You need to stop, oh god," Jooyeon had trouble speaking between her laughter.

"All the girls at school love me, you know?" he leaned back into his seat, crossing his arms and legs.

Jooyeon nodded sarcastically, "I can see that."

"Hey, you don't believe me?"

"Not really."

"Do you know why all the girls love me?" Jae straightened himself and leaned over the table.

"Why is that?"

Jae motioned for her to come closer, which she did.

"I'm Park Jaehyung," he whispered into her ear.

Jooyeon could've sworn her heart stopped at that moment. His voice in a hushed whisper, deepened its tone. A full on smile spread across her face before she quickly returned to a poker face and pulled away.

"Is that a pick up line that usually works on girls?" Jooyeon asked, an unamused look on her face.

"That's odd. I wonder why it didn't work on you. Maybe you're not a girl?" 

Jooyeon scrunched her nose and turned her face from him.

"Did I upset you?" Jae asked in a teasing tone, "Aigoo, I'm sorry little miss klutz."

"You know, I'm actually a dancer," Jooyeon lifted her head.

Jae snorted. "Yeah and I'm secretly dating Kim Kardashian." 

"It's true. In fact, I have a performance three weeks from today at the performance center near school. How would you feel about coming by to watch the graceful beauty of the Kim Jooyeon?"

​"Hm, I'll be willing to if you never associate the words graceful and beauty with yourself ever again," he teased once again.

"Did you not just call me the prettiest out of all of Myungsoo's girls?"

"Ah, you caught me," he clutched his heart dramatically.

 

"But yeah, you'll definitely see me there."

  

Author's Note / Introduction to Jooyeon's first boy, Jae! Hopefully, this fic will be updated once a week. It depends on how much work I have and how much inspiration I have honestly. The next few chapters will be heavily centered on Jooyeon and Jae so look forward to that!