Be a Man - Chapter One

Be a Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One


'People from high-society come to Shinhwa Academy for their education if they aim to be the best-of-the best. It's a distinguished escalator school; starting from elementary school up until university.'

'I don't understand it.' Young Na-Ri complained mentally as she glanced around the classroom. Her eyes catching sight of the expensive brands being flashed from every inch of the room; a limited-edition Gucci shoulder bag sitting in the front, an Armani dress-shirt only two in existence across from her, a one-of-a-kind Vera Wang bracelet with the matching pair of earrings shinning in the back, a custom-made Rolex watch gleaming on the left, a polished Louis Vuitton pair of heels to her right, and so on. It was like a never-ending fashion show at Shinhwa High. 'I shouldn't feel jealous but I am!' She admitted, her eyes glanced longingly over the jewelry and heels since she was quite a fashionista herself as her mind mentally paired off the items with numerous designs of shirts, dresses, and bottoms.

'No!' She stopped her maternalistic thoughts. 'It doesn't mater any sense. Why do they bring brand-name items to school?' She's been to this school for roughly four days as a transfer and scholarship student but it wasn't her choice. No, it was her mother who pulled quite a few strings in order for her to attend much to her protests even though her idol, Min Seo-Hyun was an alumni. But She had been just fine in her average school, living her life contently though she did have more worries then most. She wasn't sure if she would ever get use to a place like this though she knew she had more than herself to think about.

'Why do highschool students need chauffeurs to take them to school and back home? Everything about this school drives me insane and it's only my first week!' Na-Ri was tempted to slam her forehead into her desk but reframed from doing so, she was already classified as the 'weed' of the school since she was the only commoner. 'How am I going to survive the rest of this school year and graduate after another year? It's too different!'

She watched the clock, agonizingly pleading with it to speed up the minutes and hours so she could leave, she would rather be working then in this place, when she heard the Mean Girls chatting about some designer-label item from their position a few rows away from her.

"Nice! Where did you buy that strap?" Sunny gasped, eyeing the beautiful piece of jewelry.

"Vegas," Ginger cockily stated, holding up her cellphone for the sunlight to capture the shape of the diamonds causing them to sparkle, "I heard that it's a limited-edition Dior cellphone strap, so I went there and bought it."

"Really?" Miranda chimed in with a hint of jealous.

"Yeah, I stayed at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in LA." She started to brag more about her trip but a smart- remark came to mind, 'It's in Beverly Hills, California. Not Los Angeles, idiot,' and she tuned her out until the teacher finally entered the classroom and began to pass out a handout.

Her eyes widened as she read the title, 'School field trip destination questionnaire? Bali? Maldives? Macau? New Caledonia? Brazil? But I'm just a commoner! How can I afford to go to any of these places?' She begin to calculate her salaries for her various jobs; newspaper and milk delivery in the mornings, the part-time job at the local cafe, and the occasional babysitting jobs. 'Nope, I definitely can't go. Besides I can't go a day without seeing So-Hee a couple of times. Imagine for a month without her even with video chat ... There's no way.' With a sigh of defeat and a bit of mist in her eyes, she hid the paper from view. She half-listened and half-daydreamed as her teacher started to lecture. 'No matter what school you attend, all the lectures are boring!' She glanced from her notebook back to the board and was pleasantly surprised that she knew the material, she deciding to write-up a melody for the lyrics she put together to distract herself for the next hour.

After class was released, Na-Ri immediately tried to find the swimming pool which was one of the few reasons why she /forcefully/ agreed to come to Shinhwa Academy in the first place. She didn't have the time to look for it the first three days since she had to rush to make her shift at the cafe. But today she could spend some time to look for it, she didn't have any plans to attend her next classes anyways.

According to the map, the swimming pool was located at the back of the massive school in the woods, although it was a bit too far for her liking considering the distance from her classes or the front gate, she was pleasantly happy with the arrangement, that meant most likely no-one would disturb her. She only hoped that the dance studio, chorus room/recording studio, and ice ring was in similar areas so she could practice to her heart's content without worrying about the prying and judging eyes of her arrogant schoolmates.

The movement of her feet, picked up the brittle fall leaves, causing them to gently blow in the autumn wind, when the faint sound of a violin captured her attention. The closer she drew to the noise, the more her brain tried to figure out what the familiar melody was until it finally came to mind, 'Adagio For Strings!' She listened to the sad tune as it wafted through the area in awe, it was beautiful but heart-wrenching. The carefully placed notes were taking her back to some of the saddest moments of her life, particularly about her older brother.

Throughout it all, she subconsciously moved closer to the source of the sound mentally thanking Samuel Barber for the intensely stunning piece. In the small sitting area paired with a bench, bathed in natural sunlight, stood a handsome almost beautiful young man with shoulder-length gingery-brown hair dressed in white and light beige with the violin in hand. Even from her position, she could see the sorrow in his alluring dark eyes but his eyes suddenly turned into annoyance when he paused. ',' she swore in her head, 'He probably thinks I'm a stalker or a nutcase,' she thought dejectedly, mentally slapping her forehead, as he looked over at her with slight irritation.

"Um, do you know where the swimming pool is?" She inquired, softly. His eyes stayed locked on her as if he was surprised for a moment before pointing with his bow in the correct direction.

"So, that's where it is," Na-Ri thought aloud to herself unaware that he could hear, "Thank you. I'm sorry for interrupting. Please continue." She finished as she bowed and left for the indicted pathway blind to the fact that he watched her until she vanished from view. However, moments later the familiar sound filled the air once again and she allowed a small smile to form on her lips.

'Weird,' Na-Ri thought to herself as she re-entered the main building after returning from the pool, 'I've been here for three days but I've never seen these so-called Flower Boys or was it something else? Whatever, I have better things to do then to see the egoistical jerks.'

But it seemed as though luck wasn't on her side at the moment when her ears caught the words, "F4's here", she was disgusted but impressed at the shear number of students rushing towards the front doors of the school with large dose of annoyance since she happened to be walking up the stairs when it was announced. 'So, it's F4. Flower Four? What a stupid name. K-Pop bands have better names than that.' She chuckled to herself as she firmly held onto the rail before sighing in relief when the last female students trickled down without hitting her in the process.

She watched from her position on the stairway as the crowd naturally parted for the four tall figures entering, with the natural sunlight behind them and at the right angle, they appeared to be Greek Gods strutting through the hall as if they owned the whole world. Na-Ri had to admit, each of them were attractive in their own right from their perfect hair to their angular features to their designer clothes. The crowd was cheering, calling their group's name as they strolled past. 'Isn't that the boy from earlier?' Na-Ri questioned when she noticed the violin player in their midst. 'He's one of them? Can't say I pictured that coming.' But she noticed that he looked uninterested and disconnected to his surroundings. 'Maybe he's different after all.' She thought with a soft smile.

She was broken out of her musings when the tallest boy with a head full of messy curls and waves suddenly stopped with his eyes dangerously trained on the male student in front of him. 'What's his problem?' Na-Ri frowned. 'Isn't that the kid with the designer shirt?' She watched the scene with astonishment and confusion as the curly-head boy poor juice down the length of the boy's white shirt. He even had the audacity to forcefully give the stunned boy the empty bottle before leaving with the other members trailing after him. 'W-what? Just because the kid had a shirt made to look like his?' Na-Ri wasn't completely stupid, she had enough common sense to figure out what his problem was.

"Gu Jun-Pyo Sunbae is so cool!" The Mean Girls Trio squealed in delight as they ventured off to class.

'That jerk! That was completely uncalled for!' Na-Ri fumed to herself as she watched his group of friends pulled him from the scene and the crowd dispersed, chatting animatedly about what had taken place. 'Is this the true face of Shinhwa Academy? I knew I had a bad feeling about this school. Damnit, mom! Why did you make me come here?! Is this a test?!'

'I need to scream.' Young Na-Ri thought to herself as she entered her safe-haven which happened to be the outside staircase after escaping from her class. It was difficult trying to blend in when all she wanted to do was to return to her normal life, enjoy moments with her friends, and to forget everything associated with the name Shinhwa. She craved to disappear if only to get away from her schoolmates' corrupted morals and her seemingly blind teachers that did nothing but ignore what was going on around them just because the four boys families' were the wealthiest in the country. She could feel herself reaching her breaking point.

"Idiots! All of them!" She hissed under her breath, closing the exterior door as softly as she could in the fit of her anger and annoyance. "Damnit, stupid F4. This is taking bullying to another level! Gu Joon-Po, you're the worst!" She screamed, slapping her hand on the wall with vengeance, ignoring the small burning sensation from the action, "Who cares if they're the sons of the wealthiest families in Korea? They still need to show humility and kindness." She whispered, eyes narrowed as she stared off into the distance.

"Seems like I'm not going to get any sleep here. What a pain." Gathering enough nerve, Na-Ri ly to be face-to-face with the violin boy walking up the stairs. '.' She thought to herself, 'He's with the boy-band group.'

"I didn't know anyone was here." She sassed and mentally slapped herself. 'Mind the tone of your voice, Young Na-Ri.' She chastised herself keeping wary eyes on him. 'Remember, it's a year and a half to go. I can endure it, I've faced worse. I just need to keep quiet and try not to stand out until graduation. That is my goal.' She mentally encouraged herself trying to strengthen her resolve.

"That was obvious." He stopped in front of her, hands in his pockets. 'What's this?' She questioned, watching him with curious eyes. He actually sounded amused judging from the small twitching at the corners of his /full and pouty/ lips. 'No! Stop it, Young Grace Na-Ri!' She chastised.

"I thought this staircase was abandoned." She murmured defensively and instinctively her body tensed when he slightly leaned towards her, his dark eyes twinkling with emotions she couldn't quite identify. 'Why?' She whined fully aware of how her body was reacting. 'Why am I blushing!?'

"Why would you think that?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter