[2]

Sometimes Love Just Isn't Enough

I was nudged awake softly, with someone calling my name. I furrowed my eyebrows and squinted up at that person. I sat up in bed and rubbed my tired eyes and leaned against the wall, looking at Yongguk was half-lidded eyes. 

 

“I’m about to leave for work.” he shrugged on a coat. “You should probably get ready too.”

 

I stretched and groaned, feeling my shirt ride up my stomach slightly. I then felt Yongguk tugged it back down, covering my stomach as he sat down on the edge of the bed. I laughed embarrassed and hugged my stomach jokingly. 

 

“When’d you get home last night?” I asked. 

 

“Three in the morning.” Yongguk stated casually, as if it wasn’t a big deal.

 

“What’d you eat?” I sighed and  watched him tie his shoelace. 

 

“Some instant ramen.” he answered plainly. “I’m gonna go.” 

 

“Okay.” I waved lazily. “Make sure you eat.” 

 

He nodded and leaned closer to give me a kiss. I pecked his lips before bringing my arms around his neck and pulling him closer. I missed his warmth. Yongguk placed his hand on my back and pat it gently. 

 

“Bye.” he said, standing up and grabbing his bag. 

 

I waved and watched him make his way out of the bedroom. I hopped out of bed and began getting ready for work as well. Stepping out of the house, only half an hour later. 

——————————-

I sat by the monitor at work again and tried my hardest not to doze off. My eyes felt as if they had gotten heavier and it was because I had forgotten to have my daily morning coffee. I yawned and almost slouched in my seat, before realizing that I was still at work. I tried to sit up as straight as I could and stretched out my arms, in an attempt to wake myself a bit. 

 

“You alright?” Yubin put her hands on my shoulder, massaging me. 

 

“Nope,” I closed my eyes. “I forgot my coffee.” 

 

“Oh.” Yubin said, as if she remembered something. “How are things with Yongguk?” 

 

“He came home at three.” I shrugged. “Didn’t get to see him until this morning.” 

 

Yubin sighed and put a palm on her face in an exaggerated manner. She quickly moved next to me and motioned for me to move over. I scooted in my seat and she settled down onto my seat. Yubin leaned closer to me and linked her arm with mine. 

 

“How long has it been since you’ve kissed?” Yubin whispered, as if the topic was taboo. 

 

Then again, it must have been a big deal to her, since she hasn’t had a boyfriend in… ages.

 

“Like, this morning.” I answered, still unsure what she was trying to get to. 

 

“No…” Yubin shook her head and clucked her tongue. “As in kissed. Really kissed. Tongue and all.”

 

My face scrunched. I cringed at her mention of details and her eerie emphasis on the work ‘kissed’. I opened my mouth to answer but then I couldn’t. I tried to recall the time that Yongguk and I really did kiss. With the distant memory and the addition of lack of caffeine in the morning, it was rather difficult to recall. I stared at Yubin’s expecting face. 

 

“Makeup, please!” our photographer called from the set. 

 

I shoot up from my seat, grateful that I could get out of the awkward situation. I hurriedly grabbed the makeup pallets in my work bag and rushed onto the set. I approached Isaac and gently dabbed away  the sweat glistening on his forehead from the lights with some napkins. I instantly felt warm as soon as I stepped onto the set. With all the lights shining from every direction, no wonder Isaac was sweating like crazy. 

 

“It’s okay.” he smiled and exhaled a breath, taking the napkin from me. “I’ll do it, thank you.” 

 

I looked up at him and smiled before working on his smudged makeup. Being so up close to Isaac under a bright light, seemed to have enhanced his features. I saw his eyes in a different way, another way that was so handsome. I noticed the the slight bump in his nose-bridge. The cracks of his dry lips. A model that seemed perfect also had some flaws that were still so strikingly handsome. 

 

“That should be okay.” I cleared my throat, stepping away. 

 

Isaac looked at me and smiled softly before mouthing a quiet ‘thank you’. I walked quickly off the set. As soon as I was off the set, I felt the difference of temperature. I exhaled a breath that I didn’t realize I was holding. I put the pallets back into my bag and returned back to my seat next to Yubin, avoiding any awkward questions she tried asking me. 

——————————-

I zipped up my work bag and reached for my phone in my pocket. I checked the time but also checked for any notifications. I didn’t get any. Not a message, not a phone call. I glanced around the empty dressing room before gathering my bags and began walking out of the dressing room. Just as I approached the door, Isaac walked in. 

 

“You’re still here? The photoshoot ended ages ago.” he said, surprised by the fact I stayed back for that long. 

 

“Yeah.” I sighed. “Our stylist went home early, so I had to clean up her clothing racks and all.” 

 

Isaac nodded and smiled at me. He reached a hand up to wipe some sweat off from his forehead. Seeing that, I reached into my bag and looked around for some napkins. I offered them to him smiling. 

 

“Thank you.” he said. “Sorry, I’m rubbing off all your hard work. All my makeup is smudging off.” 

 

“Oh no.” I shook my head. “You don’t need any makeup. Your skin is probably better than mine.” 

 

Isaac went silent for a bit, staring at the napkin in his hand.

 

“Thank you.” he said suddenly. “I really like that way you do my makeup. I think you’re a really good makeup artist. Some people use way too much, it makes me feel gross.” 

 

I stood there smiling awkwardly. I didn’t really know how to handle compliments on my makeup skills. It was because I never really got any feedback from the people around me. People at work don’t really say much because it’s expected from me, being a makeup artist, to be good at what I do. I don’t get that compliment at home because Yongguk does not have the slightest clue about makeup. 

 

“Uh,” I swallowed. “Thanks.” 

 

The slightly awkward atmosphere lingered for a bit longer, until we both heard the camera crew pack up their things outside. Isaac cleared his throat and put his hands into his pocket. 

 

“I’m sorry,” he said lightly. “I should let you get going.” 

 

“Oh no,” I said. “It’s okay. I’m in no rush.” 

 

Isaac opened his mouth but closed it and I saw his eyes dart to hand momentarily. More specifically the ring on my left hand. It clicked in my head as to what he was assuming. He was assuming that he was holding me up, because I had someone expecting me at home.

 

“But yes,” I said, quickly grabbing the door handle. “I should go home. Goodnight.” 

 

Isaac nodded his head. 

 

“Goodnight. Have a good sleep.” he greeted. 

——————————-

I stepped into the house, surprised that the lights were already on. I kicked my heels off gently and put them on the rack. I walked into the house, and saw that Yongguk was sitting on the couch, legs crossed with his laptop resting on his lap. 

 

“Hey.” I said, sitting in the spot next to him on the couch. “You’re home early.” 

 

“Yeah.” he said, taking his eyes off the screen momentarily to give me a quick peck on the lips. “The recording finished early, so I went home.” 

 

“I see.” I said, stretching slightly and leaning my head on his shoulder. “Have you eaten?” 

 

Without taking his eyes off the laptop, he continued to work what seemed like his music. 

 

“I already ate with the guys.” he said. “You already ate at work, right?” 

 

I nodded on his shoulder and closed my eyes, yawning. I sat up abruptly at the memory of Isaac complimenting my makeup technique. I really liked it when someone appreciated my hard work. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and gently shook Yongguk’s shoulder. 

 

He hummed a lazy reply but didn't look from his screen. 

 

“Yongguk.” I called softly. 

 

“Yeah?” he mumbled, still focusing on the laptop. 

 

“Look at me.” I whined jokingly. 

 

Yongguk paused his work and turned from his laptop to face me. He raised his brows at me, as if asking me what I wanted. So important that I had to stop him from doing his work to ask. 

 

“Do you think I’m a good makeup artist?” I whispered, smiling. 

 

I watched his eyebrows furrow slightly and looked at me unsure. I continued to look at him expectingly, anticipating his answer. Anticipating his perspective on my skill. 

 

“Uh, yes.” he answered unsure. “I’m sure you’re great. You have a job as a makeup artist. So you must be good enough to pursue it as a career.” 

 

I felt my face drop slightly but I composed myself, telling myself not to show disappointment. I couldn’t expect him to compliment me wholeheartedly, since he didn’t have the slightest clue about makeup. Isaac complimented my skills because he understood makeup and it seemed that he appreciated it as much as I did. That was a good enough answer from Yongguk, I guess… 

 

“Were you expecting me to say something else?” Yongguk bit his lip. “I’m sorry. I don’t really know about makeup.” 

 

“No.” I said, trying to hide a sigh. “It’s alright.”

 

“Why do you ask?” he said, turning his attention back to the laptop. 

 

I sighed and got off the couch and shook my head. 

 

“No reason.” I mumbled.

 

I trudged towards our bedroom, feeling each heavy footstep drag on the floor. I slumped down onto my bed and heaved a sighed, resting my arm on my forehead. I knew that Yongguk was like that. Then why did it seem that I was so disappointed in him. Because it would be nice to hear encouraging words every now and then. Knowing Yongguk, he was a person of few words, yet I felt that he’s never been this blunt before. I sat up and shrugged. He’s just gotten a lot busier with work. 

——————————-

I sat at my work desk and struggled to keep my eyes open. I checked my phone for the time and yawned as it read just a bit past midnight. I pushed my chair out and stretched my arms, leaning my head back. 

 

Standing up, I began preparing for the next day at work and brushed my teeth, changing into my pyjamas. I was about to go outside to tell Yongguk to go to bed but decided not to. He was probably working and he would have probably just told me to go to sleep first. 

 

I settled into bed at about half past twelve, feeling my legs finally relax after a whole day of walking around in high heels. I closed my eyes and tried clearing my mind, hoping sleep would come quickly, so I would be refreshed and not too tired the next morning. I wasn’t sure how long it had been but as I was about to drift off, I felt the bed dip slightly and the blankets ruffle a bit. With that I knew that Yongguk was in bed, besides that there was no other indication. He stayed on his side of the bed and I stayed on mine, as we both went to sleep.