The Nasty Fall

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One week later

“Today is the day you guys be running the mile outside on the track field,” our gym teacher explained as everyone (including me) groan.  If there is one subject in school that I hated the most, it was gym class.  I hated running!  It’s not that I’m lazy, okay…maybe I am a little lazy, but the point is that I hated the feeling of being sweaty.  It just makes you feel gross and sticky (especially on a hot day like today where it’s 95 degrees outside!)  I mean, really?  Why can’t we run the mile inside the gym where it’s indoors?  Why does it have to be outside on the track field?

“Yes!  I can’t wait to run outside!” Z. Hera excitedly whispered stretching her legs.

I threw her a dirty look, “Yah!  Not everyone is happy to run outside in this hot weather, you know?”

“Hayi has a point,” Chan Hyuk added smiling at me.

She rolled her eyes at us, “I swear to god, you guys are the whiniest people I have ever met.”

“Shut up,” we both said at the same time.  We looked at each other and burst out laughing.

“I bet you anything Lee Hi is going to be the last person to finish running the mile,” Joy said loudly enough for me to hear.  I heard a couple of students snickered as I whirled my head around.

“Yah, if you want to talk about me, say it to my face,” I angrily growled.

Joy laughed out loud, “Was I talking to you?  It’s rude to be listening to other people’s conversation.”

I was about to say something nasty to her when our gym teacher cried, “Alright class!  Let’s get moving.” 

“,” I muttered.

Joy turned around and made a face at me, “What did you call me?”

I looked at Z. Hera and smiled, “Did you hear anything?”

She giggled, “Nope.”  She linked her arms with mine and said, “Come on.  Let’s go.”

Up ahead of us was Hanbin walking with Zelo, Wonwoo, and Jun.  They were talking about rap music and who could rap better.  Hanbin and I made eye contact as he flashed one of his cutest smiles at me.  My heart fluttered and I gave him a tiny smile back in return.  Oh my god!  He’s starting to notice me!  Was it because he rescued me last week?  Am I starting to have a little crush on him?  I was too busy thinking about him that I didn’t realized we were already on the track field.

“We’re here,” Z. Hera said removing her arm from mine.  “Good luck Hayi.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled. 

“Hey, there’s nothing to be ashamed of if you’re the last person to finish,” Chan Hyuk said patting my shoulder.  “Running isn’t for everyone.”

I nodded my head, “Thanks Chan Hyuk.”  When it came to running the mile, I was always the last one to finish.  I admit, it's very embarrassing being the last one to finish when everyone is staring and impatiently waiting for you so they can go inside and change into their uniform.

“I want everyone to line up behind the white line and when I count to three, you may start running,” our gym teacher explained.

Hanbin, Zelo, Wonwoo, and Jun stood next to each other in the front followed by Joy and her snobby friends.  Hm, I guess the boys are going to race each other.

“1…2…3!” our gym teacher shouted.

Hanbin and his friends took off in a speed of light followed by Joy and her friends.  The girls were determined to keep up with the boys.  Z. Hera and Chan Hyuk ran ahead of me and shouted, “See you at the finish line Hayi!”

“Alright!” I shouted back running very slow.  Since I hated running, I purposely took my time because I didn’t want to die of heat .

15 minutes later

“Yes!  I won!” Hanbin excitedly shouted throwing his fist into the air.  Jun came in second place followed by Zelo and Wonwoo. 

Joy and her friends ran past the finishing line and bent over breathing heavily. 

Hayoung panted, “Yes…we…finally…finished!”

Chanmi nodded her head in agreement, “That…was…tortured!”

“Yes, but we made it,” Joy said sitting down on the soft green grass. 

20 minutes later

“What the is taking Hayi so long?” Zelo complained.  “The sun is killing me!”

“No ,” Wonwoo agreed shielding his arms over his head from the sun.

“She still has one more mile to finish,” Jun explained watching her run passed them.

“Hurry up Hayi,” one of my classmates shouted.

“Why are you running so slow?” another classmate asked out loud.

I ignored their rants as I continued to run passed them.  The sun was killing me but I was deterime to finish running the mile without giving up.

“Come on Hayi!  You can do it!” Z. Hera and Chan Hyuk shouted.

I turned my head around and gave them a thumbs up for cheering me on.  One more mile to go I miserably thought.

“Damn, at the rate that  she is running, we’re going to be out here for another half hour,” Zelo muttered shaking his head.

“Running doesn’t seem to be her thing, huh?” Hanbin asked observing her from the track field.

“Nope,” Wonwoo answered.  “She’s purposely taking her time.  Can’t you see how slow she is running?  , she is pissing me off.”

“No ,” Hayoung agreed.  All of a sudden, she burst out laughing causing everyone to look at her, “She just fell!”

BAM!

! I mentally cursed at myself as I landed face first on the hard black cement.  Good lord!  This is so freaking embarrassing I thought slowly rolling my body over.  I could hear my classmates laughing at the top of their lungs, but I ignored them and tried to get myself up.  Blood was dripping through my nose and there was a new scratch on my left knee.  Honestly, I didn’t know which of my body part hurt more; my knee or my nose.  I slowly sat up and held my nose with my hands to stop the bleeding. 

“Hayi!” Z. Hera and Chan Hyuk shouted.  They were about to run towards her but stopped when Jun ran passed them in a full speed of light followed by Hanbin.

“Hayi!” Jun screamed as he approached me.  “You’re bleeding!”

“Hayi!  Are you okay?” Hanbin cried bending down to help me.

“I’m fine,” I muttered avoiding eye contact with both of them. 

“No, you’re not,” Hanbin said tilting my head back so the bleeding from my nose would stop.

The next thing I knew, I saw my gym teacher and the rest of my classmates running towards me with concerns on their faces.

“Hayi, are you alright?” my gym teacher asked touching my left knee as I winced in pain.  My gym teacher

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter