About the Pawn

Pillars of Pawns

The next day during lunch, Seulgi found herself sitting on a chair in the middle of an empty classroom. It was the place where Soojung had always escaped to during lunch in order to avoid anyone who tried to approach her and tried to bring her into a group.

"So that's why I never saw you during lunch," Seulgi mentioned.

"No, that's not it. You never saw me because you didn't care to see me," Soojung corrected. She brought over a table that had several inappropriate marks on it. She placed it in front of Seulgi, who awkwardly looked at the images and stared back at Soojung. "What? It's the only desk we have here."

Seulgi shook her head and remained quiet while Soojung went ahead and grabbed herself a chair. She sat on her chair and took out her notebook and a pen. She flipped some pages until she arrived at a specific page. Her pen clicked, and she positioned herself to write.

"What's this all about again?" Seulgi asked, frowning a bit.

"I brought you here to gather some information about you," Soojung told her. "After all, if we want to work together, then I need to know what kind of person I'm working with."

"Okay, but we could've talked somewhere else."

"This is the safest and cheapest place where you can talk about your personal life with me," Soojung said. "Outside of here, you don't know who's looking at you."

Seulgi frowned. "I'm asking you to make me popular, not to assign me secret missions."

"These 'missions' will help you gain popularity," Soojung stated. "Alright, first, tell me about yourself."

"What?"

"Tell me about yourself. The basics that I need to know about you." Seulgi stared at her until Soojung sighed. "Your birthday, what elementary and middle school you went, and so on."

"Oh! Well, I'm born on February 10, 1994, making me eighteen years old. I went to Ansan Elementary School, but moved to Seoul and attended Seoul Middle School. After graduating middle school I came here to Inki High School. I have two best friends: Heo Youngji and Wang Jackson. Unfortunately, those two are dating so I'm basically left as the third wheel. I'm not good at calculus and physics, but I'm really good at Korean and Japanese subjects. Let's see… During freshman year, I was in the Japanese Culture Club for three weeks until I left because I just couldn't commit myself to that. I was also part of the tennis club, but left when I got tired of that, too. In my second year, I joined the calligraphy club. That club was fun, but I felt lonely so I left. Jackson was also part of the calligraphy club, and that's when I got close to him and introduced him to Youngji."

"Stop," Soojung commanded. She stopped scribbling and looked up. "You're very uncommitted. Are you sure you want to try getting popular?"

"This is something that I'm determined to do," Seulgi stated confidently.

Soojung paused, then nodded as she looked down. "Okay. Enough about all that. Tell me something interesting."

"Interesting?"

"Like your secrets."

"Secrets?"

"Like… a crush. Do you like anyone in particular?"

Seulgi immediately turned red when Jongin popped into her head. She sank in her chair a bit and started playing with her fingers.

"Do I have to tell you?" Seulgi asked quietly.

"Well, of course. Depending on who this guy is, we need to make him your boyfriend," Soojung said.

Seulgi widened. "You're going to make Kim Jongin my boyfriend?"

Soojung stared at her. "Kim Jongin? You mean the Kim Jongin? You mean—" She flipped through some pages and showed Soojung the page with Jongin on it. "—this Kim Jongin?"

Seulgi smiled dreamily at the paper. "Isn't he just perfect?"

"You're insane," Soojung muttered, running her fingers through her hair as she looked at his page. "Just how desperate are you to make Jongin your boyfriend?"

"Very desperate," Seulgi answered.

"Seulgi, if you want Jongin to be your boyfriend, you're going to go through some extreme changes. You need an extra wow-factor in you," Soojung said.

"What do you mean?"

"You're quite average. You have average looks, a below-average brain, and almost no natural talent," Soojung told her. Seulgi frowned at every comment she spat out. "I can probably get your popularity up to… Jinri's level, I guess. But if you want Jongin to be your boyfriend, then you have to be at Hyeri's level."

"Isn't that what we were aiming for?" Seulgi asked her innocently.

"Can't we make someone else your boyfriend?"

"But I really love Jongin," Seulgi said in a bit of a whiny tone. She started giving Soojung the puppy-eyes. "Please? This is one of the few things that I'm begging for you to do! I really love Jongin! I really do! I've liked him since middle school and I've never gotten the chance to get along with him. It would be my dream to get hooked up with him!"

Soojung stared at her for a long time. She studied her expression, checking to see if she was just saying these for the sake of the pleasant idea. However, when Seulgi's eyes shimmered under the dim light and bore deep into her own eyes, Soojung let out a groan and nodded her head.

"Okay, fine. My goal is to make you as popular as Hyeri and have Jongin be your boyfriend by the end of the popularity event," Soojung told her, writing something down on her notebook. Seulgi squealed and clasped her hands together. She threw her head back and laughed while Soojung gave her a dumbfounded look. "You're that happy?"

"Of course! To stand next to Kim Jongin is such a wonderful thought itself!" Seulgi exclaimed. "Wouldn't you be happy if you stood by a popular guy?"

Soojung remained extremely quiet. The girl down at her notebook for a long time, staring at the words as if she was recalling a memory—a bitter, painful memory. Her eyes slightly watered and a deep frown appeared on her face. Seulgi could only describe her as a silent doll that  had the look of a broken girl with a bittersweet smile on her face.

"Happy?" Soojung repeated. She let out a light scoff before closing her notebook. "Sure, it's happy for the moment, until you realize that there's no love in that kind of relationship."

Seulgi blinked her eyes. "What do you mean by that?"

Soojung slowly rolled her eyes up at Seulgi, then forced a fake smile. "Nothing. Hey, give me your phone number. Let me give you my number so we can contact each other."

"Sure."

Seulgi handed her phone to Soojung, who inputed her number into the device. After a few minutes, Soojung handed the phone back. Seulgi held onto it, waiting for a message or a call. When she received a message from Soojung, she smiled and opened it. She made a small frown before looking up at Soojung.

"Um, Soojung?" Seulgi called her. "What is this?"

"It's exactly what it is," Soojung said. She read her own text aloud: "'Move number one: Introduce yourself to the world.'"

/ / / / /

Oh Sehun combed his rich blond hair with his fingers, staring at himself in the mirror and tried to make sure that the best side of him got out in all directions. Through the mirror, he saw Jongin staring out the window, dazed and empty-minded. Sehun sighed, then turned around to his friend.

"So remind me why we're here in the library again, pretending to study when we can be having lunch with Hyeri and her group?" Sehun asked him. He rested his bottom on top of the table and waved his hand in front of Jongin's face. "Hello? Jongin, I'm talking to you!"

After a few minutes of waving, Jongin snapped out of his thoughts and looked at him. He blinked his eyes before stealing another glance at the window. Then, he turned his attention back to Sehun.

"Sorry. I was zoning out a bit," Jongin said.

"Like I was saying," Sehun said, "why are we here?"

"What do you mean?"

"We're obviously not finding a book and we're obviously not going to study. So what's the point of us being in the library?"

Jongin opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as if he couldn't tell him what was going on. He pursed his lips before opening his mouth again to say something else.

"Remember yesterday?"

"A lot of things happened yesterday," Sehun said.

"At lunch?"

"I had a good lunch yesterday."

"The commotion."

"Oh, with Hyeri?" Sehun asked. He looked at his best friend. "What of it?"

"Well… Do you remember the girl who was up there?" Jongin asked him.

"I don't know. Why don't you ask Hyeri?"

"But Hyeri didn't seem to know her," Jongin murmured.

"Well, she shouldn't have walked up to Hyeri like that. It's like she had no sense or anything." Sehun paused. "Well, I don't blame her. Popularity is something that only the lucky ones can get."

"Huh? Wait, who are you talking about?"

"The girl with brown hair and single eyelids," Sehun described.

"I thought you were talking about the girl with black hair and petite figure?" Jongin asked.

"Black hair…? Sorry, after seeing that girl with brown hair sit down with Hyeri, I lost interest," Sehun said. 

"Why would you look away?"

"I told you, I had a really good lunch yesterday," the blond boy reminded him. Jongin groaned and rested his chin against the palm of his hand. "But what of it? Do you know that girl?"

"Which one?"

"The black-haired one that you were talking about."

"Not…exactly…"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sehun asked, raising an eyebrow.

Jongin started tapping his foot against the ground and anxiously looked around. "Well, I kind of see her time to time in this library—"

"Oh, so she's the library girl that you were talking about two days ago," Sehun said. "The one who's picky about where the books go?"

"Yeah, but it was weird. She's really quiet and I hardly see her around except for here. From what I know, she's usually alone."

"So?"

"Well, when I saw her yesterday, she went there and saved her friend from Hyeri."

"Like I was saying, so?"

"I just thought it was weird. Why would she do that? She doesn't seem like the type who would do that. I don't think she has any close friends, either."

"She's a normal girl. Normal girls are terrifying," Sehun said. He shuddered. "They're so hard to predict. One minute, they're these shy quiet girl, and the next minute, they start acting loud and rowdy."

"You're just exaggerating, now," Jongin said, chuckling at his friend. He sighed, then glanced at his watch. "The bell is going to ring. Let's go."

"Sure," Sehun said, nodding his head. He jumped off the table and watched Jongin get up from his chair. He paused for a minute. "Wait, what was the purpose of us being here?"

Jongin looked at Sehun with a small smile. "Hm?"

"Why were we here in the first place?" Sehun asked him. "You never answered my question."

"Oh! No reason. I just wanted time to think," Jongin said, grinning at his friend. He patted Sehun's shoulder and walked pass him.

Sehun looked at his friend with skeptical eyes before shrugging his shoulder and temporarily forgetting about whatever Jongin had told him.

Mental note to self: figure out who Jongin is talking about, he told himself. He cleared his throat and started following Jongin until the two stopped for a brief moment.

Hyeri stood in front of them with her two friends, Naeun and Suzy. The two girls stared at the boys with great awe and giggled. Sehun returned their flirtatious looks with a flashy grin, while Jongin gave them a tight smile and a small nod. Sehun quickly approached the two girls first and leaned slightly closer, grabbing their upmost attention.

"Hello, ladies," Sehun greeted them. "We're sorry that we couldn't join you for lunch today. We were studying in the library."

Hyeri stared at Jongin before looking at Sehun with a smile. "That's perfectly fine. We can eat lunch some other time."

"We look forward to that, then," Sehun said, still keeping up a smile.

"We should have lunch somewhere else besides the cafeteria. It's getting a bit… annoying in there," Naeun muttered.

Sehun still smiled, but it was becoming more faint. "What do you mean by that?"

"The liar came again," Hyeri quickly explained.

Jongin finally showed interest in the conversation. His eyes sparkled and his eyebrows arched upwards.

"Did a girl with black hair accompany her?" Jongin asked.

Suzy frowned. "I don't recall a black-haired girl… Only the brunette."

Disappointment was evident on Jongin's face. "Oh."

"So what did the liar do?" Sehun asked, his eyes on Jongin. It was the first time he had seen his friends react in such a way. Could he possibly… He stopped and shook his head. No. No, no, no. Jongin wouldn't do that. He just wouldn't. Not to a nobody, at least.

"She came and apologized, then started to introduce herself," Naeun told him. "It was really weird, you know? Yesterday she was totally forceful and everything, but today, she seemed to give us enough space to be border-line annoyed with her."

"Yeah, and she said that she realized that it wasn't Hyeri, but another girl with short-hair. It turns out that she just saw the wrong girl after all," Suzy added.

"She was just cleaning up her image," Hyeri summarized. "I don't really care about it, though."

"You shouldn't," Suzy told her. "Worrying about nonsense is bad for your health."

"At least she apologized twice. That should say something, right?" Naeun said. 

"I don't know," Hyeri murmured. "I say that we keep an eye on her in case she comes up to us again. I have a feeling that she might be using us or something. I just get the bad vibes from her." She looked up at Jongin. "Are you going to stay away from her?"

Jongin widened his eyes. "Me?"

"Yeah. Are you going to stay away from her, too?" Hyeri asked. "I'm telling you, something is up with her, and I don't like it. You've got to trust me on this."

"I—"

"Excuse me, you're blocking the way."

Jongin whirled around, then gasped when he saw Soojung standing behind him with a neutral expression. She glanced at him for a brief moment, locking eyes with him until she had an unpleasant expression on her face. Jongin stared at her in surprise, shocked to see her sigh so loudly when their eyes met.

Am I that annoying? he wondered.

How am I going to get a guy like this to fall in love with Seulgi? Soojung wondered, frowning. She looked at the girls. At least I cleaned up Seulgi's name. Looks like I did the right thing to send her to the girls and apologize again. She looked at Sehun, who stared at her. "Like I was saying, you're blocking the way."

Sehun paused. He looked at Soojung, then back at Jongin. He did this several times before Soojung scowled at him and crossed her arms. Realizing that he didn't move yet, he quickly stepped aside and let her through. She gave Sehun one last frown before putting on her neutral expression. She walked away, her head held high in the air, ready to report the situation to Seulgi.

Jongin watched her leave, completely ignoring the three beautiful girls standing in front of him. After a minute, he snapped out of his thoughts and looked at the girls.

"Um, isn't it time for you guys to get back to class?" Jongin asked them.

"We have the same class together," Hyeri reminded him. "I sit next to you, remember?"

The boy blinked his eyes. He looked back up, trying to search for Soojung, who had already disappeared from the halls. He grimaced a bit, but then smiled softly at the girls.

"Sorry, I'm spacing out today," Jongin confessed. He looked gently at Hyeri. "Should we start going back to class?"

Hyeri looked at him, feeling all warm and fuzzy again. She shyly nodded her head and giggled when Jongin walked next to her. The two started walking side-by-side, leaving the two other girls to look behind them in envy. They quickly followed Hyeri back to class, while Sehun stood back for a few minutes.

This is interest, he thought. A small smirk appeared on his face. Suddenly it feels like something interesting is going to happen.


Author's Note: Gonna try to get another chapter out today because I just found out that KaiStal is canon. ^__^