Finale

Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Solji unnie, what's wrong?" Hani walked back toward her friend that seems spacing out in front of the chocolates and candies rack in the supermarket they are currently visiting. Hani needs to buy some groceries since the fridge in her house is almost run out of groceries stock. Her mother told her to go shopping to restock them. Hani feels so lonely if she has to go there by herself, so she dragged her favorite neighbor slash childhood friend slash close unnie of her, Heo Solji, that live two house away from hers to accompany her. Solji being a good friend/unnie she is, agreed to accompany Hani.

"H-huh? Oh, nothing." Solji groggily answered after snapped back from her daydreaming.

"Unnie, are you going to buy that chocolate?" Hani pointed at a chocolate bar in Solji's hand.

"O-oh, this? No, i was just looking at these chocolates. I want to buy one, but kinda confused to choose which one." Solji said and showing an awkward smile at Hani. Hani seems didn't realize the weird behavior of her unnie though.

"Ahh, i can help you then. The chocolate in your hand right now is a good one too. The chocolate brand is well-known, that's why it's quite pricey compare to the others. But it tastes really good. Well, i prefer the original dark chocolate though rather than this white chocolate." 

"Okay then. I'll buy the dark chocolate. Thanks for the suggestion, Heeyeon-ah." Solji put back the white chocolate in her hand and take the dark chocate instead.

"Kaja!" Solji linked her arm with Hani's and move to the next aisle, looking for other things that written in the shopping list given by Hani's mom earlier.

"That white chocolate is her favorite." Solji thought to herself. But she quickly shook her head lightly, as if trying to shook off those lingering memories of her head.

 

(quick flashback)

"Here, chocolates for you. Enjoy~"

"What? Valentine is still next week, why you already give me chocolate? And why so many? Yah!"

"*laughed* Sorry, it's just that they gave me these chocolates. But i don't like it. So rather than throw it away, it'll be better if i give it to someone else who will eat it, right unnie?"

"They? Ah.. your fans again? I just can't get it sometimes. Why you have so many fans."

"Are you mocking me right now, Heo Solji? You think you're the only one who's famous and have bunch of admirers in this school?"

"Hahaha, that's not what i meant, paboya. Well whatever. So you really don't like chocolate?"

"Hmm.. i will only eat one kind of chocolate. I don't like the other chocolates."

"Oh really? And what is the unlucky chocolate that you like?"

"It's Toblerone white chocolate."

"Eww, i don't like white chocolate."

"I don't ask you to like it. Duh~"

"This brat! Yah! I'm your unnie-ya! Where's your manner?"

"You're just happened to was born 2 years earlier than me. But we're in the same grade now. So we're friends!"

"But still! Eish this kid!"

*****

 

(Valentine's Day)

"Happy Valentine Day, my dearest unnie." 

"If only you can stay like this everyday."

"Dream on, unnie. I treat you well today because it's valentine's day. So i thought why not trying to be kind and sweet to you only for today?"

"Whatever. Anyway, happy valentine day to you too, my little devil. Here chocolate for you. Toblerone white chocolate, your favorite.."

"Awww Heo Solji unnieeee~"

 

Even just by the thought of you still able to make me smile.

********************

 

(On their way back home from the supermarket)

"Unnie, look at that couple." Hani suddenly whispered to Solji while her head slightly make a movement toward her right, trying to subtly pointed at the direction she wants Solji to look at.

"Huh? What about them?" Solji saw the couple and think nothing is wrong nor out of normal from the couple.

"I found them cute and unique, unnie." Hani said with her normal speaking tone.

"And why is that?" Solji asked in curiosity.

"Look at the girl. She wears a long soft blue dress with white cardigan, she put on light make up, looks so pretty in that natural make up, but the person beside her, the one she's holding hand with, probably is her boyfriend. Her boyfriend wears a dirty sneakers, snapback on his head, ripped jeans, and black sleeveless t-shirt, look like a troublesome guy in the movie who like to pick up a fight with random people in the street.  Look at how different they are. But the way that boy look at her, it really betrays his scary image. That soft gaze, that charming smile, and caring acts he did for the girl. Guess we really can't judge people from its cover. Or maybe he is indeed a troublemaker but love has changed him. That girl changed him." Hani chuckled. Solji bites her lower lip as memories rushing back to her head. But she tries to shrugged it off.

"Yeah, but don't you find it weird? Like it's not normal for a good girl paired with a bad guy? Don't you think she can find a better man that really deserve her? That really compatible with her?" Solji asked. The questions she directed to Hani right now, feels like a Dejavu for her. The questions that used to directed at her. Yeah, those difficult times. But if she can choose, she'll choose to stop at that moment again, experienced it again, enjoy it while it lasts. She'll choose that decision all over again if she has another chance to change it. Even if she has another choice to not face those difficult times. Because she was in there too. In those times, she lived. They existed.

"What is normal, unnie? What is the criteria and standards to define what is normal and not normal?" Solji kept mum. She can't answer Hani's question.

"See? I guess no one can really define it. People won't have the same understanding nor criteria and standard when it comes to this kind of thing. What normal, and what abnormal, it's like defining good and bad. What good to us, might be seen as something bad to the others. And vice versa. Especially when it comes to love, unnie. It's so hard and tricky to understand what is good, and what is bad. What is normal and abnormal. Guess that's why love is always complicated." Hani let out a small laugh at her own conclusion.

"As expected from the smarty pants, Anh Heeyeon. Unnie is proud." Solji smiled as she's ruffling Hani's hair lovingly. Hani for her is like a lovable dongsaeng that she wants to protect and take care of for a long time. She only has two older brothers, and be a maknae in her family. Meeting Hani is like a wish come true for her. A wish since she was a little kid, to have a cute younger sister that can accompany her to play dolls and fake cooking.

"Hehehe, this smart girl is your little sister. So you indeed have to feel proud of me, unnie."  Hani playfully winked at Solji, earning a light disapproval squeal from the older girl. She always feeling like cringing whenever Hani do that infamous winking of her.

*******************

 

(flashback)

"Solji-yah, you know that we just care about you. We want to protect you from any harm." Said the blonde girl with onyx eyes. She looks all calm and composed but the way she speak earlier, it sounds so damn serious.

"But she never do anything bad, Taeyeon-ah!" Solji desperately said. She's getting tired of all of these endless pointless talk.

"She hasn't, but we never know what will she do later in the future. Look at her, she's a trouble. It's obvious. Look at her ripped jeans that starts to lose its color, her dirty black beanie, her piercings in her belly button. All of her screaming trouble, Heo Solji!" Hyorin added, half screaming with her low husky voice.

"..."

"She is part of Hyuna's gang, girl. The famous school troublemaker. They are nothing but bunch of bully and loser." CL straightforwardly said. She ever confronted them because of something, they were and still in bad term until now. That's why CL really hate them.

"..."

"You can be friends with anyone you want, dear. Everyone likes you, the tall-pretty girl Heo Solji, the kind-friendly-well mannered, Heo Solji, the smarty with golden voice, Heo Solji. The dongsaeng of Heo Juseung, the famous captain of school basketball club. Everyone wants to be close to you, you can just close one of her eyes and randomly pointed at anyone you want. They will gladly come to you when you tell them to. So why her?" Chorong softly asked. Her child-alike voice sounds softer than usual since she carefully speak up her mind. She don't want to hurt her friend's feeling. Well, actually, in any ways, they have hurt her.

"I also don't know the answer for that question. Why her? Why my hearts always acted weirdly whenever i'm with her? Why it's only her who can give me warmth and comfort that i need? Why it's her who can make me smile in my bad day even without trying? Why? Why it must be her?"

"Solji-ah.."

"Enough. I get it. From now on, i will stay away from her, like what you guys want. Like what everyone in my life wants."

Solji walked away from her friends, leaving them behind. She needs to go home, so she can cry her heart out.

"Even just befriended someone can be so wrong and sinful, eh?" Solji sadly mumbled to herself as she walk down the school stairs with teary eyes.

********************

 

From: Anh LE Where are you? I didn't see you in the English class today.

 

From: Anh LE Are you okay? You're not sick, right?

 

From: Anh LE Paboya, i will smack you on your head if you really fall sick. Didn't i told you to always stay healthy and be a strong kid?

 

From: Anh LE Why you didn't reply? Are you mad at me? What is my fault? For didn't call you unnie like what you always want me to? Oh c'mon, it's just two year age difference, Solji unnie. I grew up in US, i don't really like to call people with such formality like that. Or are you mad because i said i will smack your head? I know i'm younger than you, and a bit shorter than you, but doesn't mean i can't hit you right? Okay fine. Sorry. I apologize. I was at fault. Just reply to my text, Solji unnie. I just want to make sure that you're alright.

 

From: Anh LE You really won't reply to my text? Fine then. Just stay safe, unnie wherever you are.

 

I'm sorry, LE-yah. I'm sorry for being a coward.

********************

 

(PRESENT TIME)

I'm sorry, Anh LE. I was a coward. I should've done better. I should've fight a bit harder. I know how much you hate to be alone, and yet i leave you alone. You always forbid me to make a promise to you. Guess you knew all along that i wouldn't able to keep my promises to you. You prevent me from become a bad person that can't kept

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter