three

Kismet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day was slowly coming to an end. Vernon spread his body comfortably on the sofa, his eyes on the screen that showed images of posh people conversing in an event meant for the elite and yet his mind was elsewhere, in between deciphering the meaning of his founding in the abandoned room and flashes of pasts his mind absolutely refused to forget.

He suddenly thought of the sunshine boy. He hasn't seen him for two weeks now, the mini library empty safe for the owner who greeted him brightly without fail every time. It was just like before he met Seungkwan. Despite that was all he ever wanted, he suddenly felt lonely, although he had been alone for as long as he could remember. It was not the first time he felt a sense of abandonment; he wondered why it still bothers him. He didn’t like it, but it was inevitable. Vernon repelled people, never giving and never asking; that was what he get for being the way he was.

He threw away the thought, not wanting to burden himself by thinking of stuffs that didn’t matter. He got up from the comfort of the cocoon of blankets he enveloped himself into, grabbing a trench coat from the coat rack and the house key from the coffee table before heading towards the door, bracing for the wind as he opened the door and disappeared into the night, the front door closing with a low thud.

 

It was cold, the wind blowing harsher than usual that particular day. Vernon was only wearing a long grey trench coat reaching his upper thigh, training pants, and sandal. Not a very appropriate wear for such a cold night, yet he didn’t mind the cold slapping his feet. The numb helped him to take his mind off things and a breath of fresh air than staying cooped inside his house that didn’t feel like home.

His hands prodding deeper inside the pocket of his coat produced some small changes. Enough for a cup of steaming coffee. Satisfied, Vernon navigated himself through the dark street only made bright by street lights and flashes of neon from grocery shops. If he walked far ahead, he could see his college in sight, and he would very much prefer to avoid from going near that hell of a place unless he absolutely needed too. College was restricting, boring and full of fake people. He’d rather sit hours with Seungkwan beside him talking his mouth off as long as he didn’t have to sit among painted faces and listening to lectures about things he already knew and read years ago.

He reminded himself; only one year left.

Crossing the street, he didn’t even bother to look out for any possible passing vehicles. His neighborhood was as deserted as a Sahara Desert when it came to night time. Right after he safely took the final step to cross the step, a horn blared from behind him. He paused, looking behind at the rapid vehicle speeding past to who knows where. He shrugged; maybe tonight wasn’t one of those nights.

He continued walking with determined steps. He might came off as nonchalant and spontaneous, but he ventured enough to know exactly what he’s doing and where he’s going. Other people wouldn’t dare to leave the safety of street full of light to travel to a dimmer place with dark corridors in every corner, but not Vernon. He had nothing to offer even if someone wanted to rob him, and he certainly has no one missing after him if he was kidnapped and got shipped off somewhere out of state.

Despite Vernon walking through this street countless times before, he was still in one piece. He didn't know why people was being too paranoid.

Head in the clouds all the way, Vernon didn’t realize he had already arrived if not for his feet that accidentally kicked the signboard placed on the floor in front of the café. The light inside the café was dimmed, not a lot of people inside as it was almost closing hour. The shops next to it were long locked shut, leaving it the only living in the middle of a dead street.

Unlike the library, the café didn’t have the usual bell ring to alert the presence of the customer, and Vernon was thankful for that. The less attention he received, the more comfortable he felt. He ordered the cheapest coffee they offered, which was the plain black coffee. The cafe was far from decorative. It was just like the cup of coffee in his hand, warm yet plain. Vernon was anything but a picky person though, he didn't believe in the value of pretty things. As long as it was comfortable and affordable, Vernon was fine with anything.

Sitting by himself in silence, Vernon regretted not bringing the recent book he just borrowed from the library. Figuring he didn't have anything else to do here other than staring at space and starting to regret things, he picked up his half-finished plastic cup, exiting the cafe and dismissing the staff biding him to 'come again later. It was unnecessary for them to tell him that phrase every time, he comes there thrice a week after all.

Vernon stopped momentarily in front of the cafe, wondering where to go next. Most of the places were closing as it was reaching midnight, but Vernon wanted to walk a bit more, just going anywhere and everywhere. Being lost in the middle of nowhere and finding his way back again. He was up for a midnight venture tonight; but it was a momentary lapse of thoughts and unrealistic dreams. He didn't bring his money with him despite the fortune his parents sent to him every month. It was neatly piled in stacks inside his safe box, the password which only he knew.

Vernon wasn't poor by any means; he could just quit college, jump to a plane to somewhere and build a studio there. It was the plan, but it was not the time yet. His parents weren't the best, only providing wealth but not love. Despite all that, Vernon still owe it to them for allowing him to study here, the place where his blood first spilled. After much difficulty and verbal arguments, they finally heeded to his wish although they didn't fully support his choice of stream. Being a successful artist was like a one in a million chance. He wouldn't live an easy life and his parents won't support him after he graduated were what they threatened him with, but Vernon didn't mind.

He didn't want an easy life, as he realized he as a person wouldn't worth a fortune anyway. His paintings were mostly portraits of the same person, but he figured that wouldn't do. He couldn't settle for less if he aimed for at least a decent living. Being in the college was horrible, but Vernon needed it. He needed the skills he couldn't possess from reading books alone, and he needed the degree to prove his accomplishment to his parents. Thoughts about responsibilities and future hurt his head and without realizing, he had been aimlessly walking and arrived in front of the mini library which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter