Something Is Missing

It's Normal (The Day It All Changes)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Link to artwork that inspired http://taeyhngs.tumblr.com/post/138622518959/jimin-really-cant-take-his-eyes-off-of-taehyung Please do not repost/edit any of her art. All art in this story is owned by Taeyhngs and is her sole property.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Sitting on the grassy knoll in the middle of the campus is one of their many traditions: Taehyung’s head on Jimin’s thigh (the juicy drumstick as Taehyung calls it), paging through his Lit textbook trying to catch-up on whatever-the-hell the teacher had said in class, the thing he’d more than likely missed because he was distracted by one thing or another. He looks up and Jimin is being, well... Jimin: completely engrossed, eyes glued to the computer screen, reviewing his latest performance, looking for errors or ways he can improve (which is ridiculous because Jimin’s dance is perfection).

 

He continues to scan the surroundings (now distracted from catching up on the thing he’d missed in class because he’d been distracted) when his eyes fall on perhaps the most gorgeous human he’s ever seen (second only to his eldest hyung - because seriously, Jin is angelic).

 

“Holy .” Taehyung sits up to get a better view, nearly knocking the computer from Jimin’s lap.

 

Jimin looks up, startled. “Hey!”

 

“Sorry.” Taehyung’s eyes are glued to the boy on the other side of the quad, laughing and talking to a very attractive girl who seems to like touching the boy a lot (which is completely understandable in Taehyung’s opinion). “Jimin-ah, do you know him?”

 

“Who?” Jimin looks up, trying to follow the trajectory of Taehyung’s gaze. “Him? The kid in the leather jacket?”

 

“Mmm.”

 

“Ahh, Jungkook. I was wondering when you’d notice him.” Jimin straightens the computer on his lap and continues his review.

 

“Wait. You know him? - how it is that you know every person on campus? You never go anywhere except for class, the practice studio, and out for bubble tea.” Taehyung’s gestures haphazardly, and Jimin shields his laptop from possibly impact. “I’m a social butterfly from Daegu - how have I never met or seen that incredible piece of art before?”

 

“Be careful,” Jimin warns, “because that piece of art is in Professor Kim’s 101 class. The one I TA for. He’s pretty good too, has excellent form.” Jimin’s words are casual, almost nonchalant, and Taehyung is flabbergasted by the way Jimin seems so unaffected by Jungkook’s hella-y-beast good looks.

 

“Seriously, do you have a type? Or eyes? How can you be so... impassive?”

 

Jimin shrugs. “I do have a type, Tae. Pretty sure everyone does. Jungkook’s just not it.”

 

“Really? What is it then?” Taehyung is always trying to find Jimin’s match because love doesn’t just fall in your lap like a rotten apple off a tree Jimin. Taehyung suspects it’s a bad analogy but he intends on using it till Jimin surrenders.

 

“Hey - your piece of art is leaving.”

 

“Oh, .” Taehyung jumps up from his spot on the grass. “I’m off to do a little recon. See you at lunch.”

 

 

********

Jimin and Taehyung have known each other forever (at least, that’s what Taehyung tells everyone who’ll stand still long enough) - they met when they were seven when Jimin’s family moved into the house across the street. Taehyung happened across the dark-haired boy on his way to the park one day and the two became inseparable from that moment on. Taehyung’s mom often called them Oscar and Felix (whoever the hell they are), because they argued and fought but ultimately always made up.

 

They complemented each other in the best way: Taehyung spontaneous and unpredictable; Jimin thoughtful and careful. Taehyung taught Jimin to step outside of his carefully constructed walls and enjoy life, and Jimin taught Taehyung that planning was not always a trick from Satan to keep you from having fun. Their relationship is comfortable like the perfect pair of jeans, worn in, fitting every curve with glorious precision. Taehyung is the yin to Jimin’s yang and Jimin is the peanut butter to Taehyung’s jelly, and there is no real explanation for why they just fit.

 

 

**********

It’s been two weeks since Taehyung first laid eyes on Jungkook, two weeks since he’d become aware that such beauty existed in the world as a living breathing thing and not just art in a museum. Two weeks since he had begun to look and one week since he’d wanted to touch.

 

“Hyung.” (He only calls Jimin that when he wants something.)

 

“What do you want?” Jimin looks up from his spot on the floor, a bucket of chicken between his legs. Taehyung grabs a piece out and takes a bite before responding.

 

“Can you introduce me?”

 

“Really?” Jimin gives him a look. “To Jungkook?”

 

“Yes! No. - I don’t know. Let’s talk about something else.” Taehyung waves the chicken around. “How’s the showcase coming along?” Taehyung scoots over next to Jimin and lays down, head once again on Jimin’s thigh (his favorite pillow).

 

“It’s good I guess, it’s coming together nicely. I just… it feels like something’s missing and I can’t figure out what it is.” Jimin’s hand automatically caresses Taehyung’s hair like always,  it’s comforting and Taehyung’s eyes are closing. But he fights the sleep - Jimin has a problem and he wants to help.

 

“Why do you think that?”

 

“Don’t know, it just doesn’t have the feeling I want to portray yet.” Jimin smiles as Taehyung sighs contentedly on his leg. It reminds him of a cat purring.

 

“What feeling is that?” Taehyung’s voice is sleepy. He’s fighting it but he already knows it’s a losing battle.

 

Jimin is just too damn comfortable and he thinks he hears the boy’s answer but he’s not sure because the cushy thigh and hand pressing into his head with just the right amount of pressure have won, and Taehyung falls into slumber as the answer to the question escapes Jimin’s lips.

 

“Love.”

 

 

*************

It’s been four weeks since Taehyung had seen Jungkook across the campus. Three weeks since he had followed the boy to all his classes stopping just shy of going inside (because that would be weird). Two weeks since he’d wondered why he hadn’t once again brought up the suggestion that Jimin introduce him to the young Adonis.

 

“Hyung.” He emphasizes the h trying to be cute (aegyo always works on Jimin).

 

“Mmm. What do you want?” Jimin is once again engrossed in something dance related, and Taehyung wonders why it’s so adorable when the boy scrunches up his brows in deep concentration, like a kitten trying to figure out a roll of yarn.

 

“Nothing. Well, something -- but if you’re busy--”

 

Jimin smiles and Taehyung can’t help but smile too. It’s the Jimin Effect. (Taehyung has a name for every one of Jimin’s actions.)

 

“I always have time for you Tae,” his voice is soft and Taehyung’s eyebrows raise quizzically, but he’s not sure why (there’s something there -- he ignores it for now).

 

“Introduce me.”

 

“To who?” Jimin meets his gaze and again Taehyung thinks to himself there’s something there and again he ignores it.

 

“Jungkook. Will you introduce me to Jungkook?”

 

“I thought you said people should let things happen naturally?” Jimin hasn’t broken his gaze and Taehyung feels both troubled and comforted by the intensity of the stare.

 

“Yeah, but a little push couldn’t hurt, right? I mean look at all the great romances: Romeo and Juliet, Lancelot and Guinevere... don’t you want me to have an epic love?”

 

“Uhmm, you know how those relationships

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter