Chapter 7 - Escape

Experimental Error

Get up guys, change of plans. We are leaving now. Lift up the basin, there are guns there.

The voice echoed in my head. Seunghyun and I both sat up together and stared at each other. It was obvious that we had both heard it. With a slight nod from him, he stood up and began walking toward the basin as I started waking the rest up. 

“Ji… Seungri… Dae… Youngbae… Come on. It is starting.” I whispered as I shake them slightly.

Jiyong was the first to wake up and he helped Seungri up, examining his leg. “Can you walk?” He asked as he saw that the ankle was still slightly swollen. Seungri tried walking and he grimaced as he placed more weight onto the injured ankle.

“Yeah. I can hobble. Don’t worry about me.” He said as he flashed his confident smile. I smile at his attempt to reassure us. That was what he was always doing; never allowing us to worry about him. I walked towards him with the bandage that I found on the floor.

“Come here. I will bandage it up. It should be less painful that way.” I replied as I kneel down. By then, Seunghyun had retrieved the guns and was giving them out. 6 pistols and 5 knives. We arranged ourselves behind the door with me in front of the group. Seunghyun was behind me, followed by Jiyong, Seungri, Daesung and Youngbae. Suddenly an arm grabbed me from the back, preventing me from stepping out of the cell. I turned around only for my lips to crash against a familiar soft feeling. “I love you baby.” Jiyong declared as he loosen his grip and went back into position. I smiled, nodding before mouthing to him that I love him too. 

With that being said, i drew my blades out of my knuckles and slice through the lock holding the cell door in place. The lock dropped heavily onto the ground as the door peeked opened. I counted mentally and stepped outside right as the guards turned into the corner. Staying low, we rushed towards the medical room. On the way, Seunghyun had threw several stones at the celling lights, effectively cracking the glass bulbs and plunging us into darkness. Feeling my way around the corridors, I led the way confidently, having rehearsed this route countless of times in my head. As we reached the doors, I gave a slight knock and the door opened to a flustered Dr Leo.

Hey.

The voice echoed in my head, as I gave him a slight nod. We went around gathering the equipments that were needed for our escape. The cave that we were held in was located at the side of the mountain. We needed climbing equipments to make sure that we could get down the other side of it. Additionally, we needed the medical kit should any of us get injured.

As we were strapping ourselves into the harness, Dr Leo had passed around a white cloth and asked the rest of them to bite onto it hard and keep quiet. They looked confused as he switch on a button and all of them fell to the ground, grabbing onto their neck and whimpering into the towel. Smoke appeared from the device on their neck and Dr Leo went around to pull off the device before spraying some sort of a yellow liquid. The wound in their neck healed immediately. Just as Dr Leo was about to say something, an alarm rang loudly through the hallways.

“DANGER, initiating LOCKDOWN SEQUENCE.”

“GO!” Dr Leo shouted as we spilled out of the room, running towards the exit path. This time Seunghyun was leading the group as he had memorised this portion of the map. We were running to the storeroom close to the end of the hallway. The plan was to climb out of the window and onto the side of the mountain before scaling downwards. 

“OPPA!” I shouted and pulled Seunghyun backwards before he ran out of the corner. Bullets fired into the air in front of us as we scrambled to our feets. Turning around, we were met with the sound of another group of guards. 

Go up into the vent, I will cover! 

I telepathically sent it to Dr Leo and Seunghyun before jumping out of the corner and diving into the other side of the corridor. I held my pistol close to me, firing a few shots as I tried to buy time for all of them to climb up onto the vent. Looking at their slow progress and the limited bullets in my gun, I gave my brother a look as I ran towards the guards with my blades extended on both side.

NO! Y/N!!! - Seunghyun sent.

SEUNGHYUN TRUST HER. COME UP NOW. - Dr Leo sent.

In a few moments, I had managed to take down the remaining guards and take over their equipments. I sliced the last guard on his throat, grimacing in horror as dark red blood spilled out of his throat. 

“Come on come on…” I changed as I searched through his body. Feeling my heart rate pick up as I hear more guards shouting around the corner. Looking around, I cheered silently as I found what I was looking for. His grenade belt. I took one and threw it into the corner. Taking the rest and throwing it in different directions before making a run for the vent.

OPEN! 

And I was pulled up by Seunghyun into the small opening. Before closing the panel, I threw the remaining grenade down and close it. I indicated for them to keep quiet as we wait for the sound of explosion to clear below us.

“GET THEM. WHERE THE THEY WENT. LOCKDOWN THIS PLACE. PERMISSION granted to kill everyone but her. GO!!!” We heard a voice bellowed right below us. Turning around I looked at Dr Leo, wishing silently that he will tell us of an alternative plan but was only met with unsure eyes and a sad face.

“Follow me.” Seungri whispered and we turned to him in shock before scrambling along with him in the vent. It was narrow and we could not stand up fully. The speed was slow as Seungri hobbled along. After several corners, he opened up the panel and peer below. It was a room lighted with blue lights.

“Hyung I can’t jump down first…” Seungri pointed out sadly, looking at his bandaged ankle. Jiyong nodded before jumping down of the panel and took a chair to help assist maknae down.

In a short moment, everyone was in the room and looking at me to climb down. Daesung and Youngbae had went to secure the door with anything heavy they could find in the room.

“Y/N. Come.” Seunghyun called out.

I furrowed my brows together as I felt my heart beat faster. Memories of how they had tied me onto the table in the center of this room, while they injected the serum was flooding my brain.

“It’s okay. Come on Y/N.” Dr Leo said. I flinched backwards as I recognised that voice way too well. I had heard that same voice telling me that it was okay during the experiment. I shook my head and shifted slightly backwards into the vent. It was not until Jiyong head pop into the vent that I felt more relaxed.

“Hey baby. It’s okay. I am here. Come…” He said as he put his hands out to coax me. “Come on. Trust me.” He said as I began to climb into his arms. I cling onto him like a koala bear the moment we were in the room. Memories of the experiment continue to flood my head as I remember how they had kept me underwater with nothing but a diving mask.

Dr Leo walked over to Seungri who was fiddling with a small air vent at the end of the room. “How did you know about this?” He asked the maknae who had now managed to remove the metal panel covering the vent.

“Boss sent a message. He gave it to me and told me not to tell anyone. It was too big a risk for all of us to know this.” Seungri replied flatly.

“Boss? Papa Yang?!” Seunghyun replied in shock.

“I got a message too… But it was for the other side of this place” Daesung said.

“Me too…” Youngbae said. 

“Okay. So what is the plan now? Although this was in an area of the building that is out of bound to the guards, I am sure the guards will here after they have searched the rest of the buildings.” Dr Leo commented as he moved towards Seunghyun.

Tilt your head slightly - the voice in our head said once again

Seunghyun obeyed while Dr Leo fished out a metallic device from his ear. Everyone gasped in shock. “That’s where the voice is coming from?!” Seunghyun asked in shock. Dr Leo nodded.

“Y/N keep yours in. I may need to tell you somethings if we managed to escape.” Dr Leo said as he looked at my koala form, still holding onto Jiyong in fear. I nodded slightly as I continue to focus on calming my breathing and keeping my thoughts sane with the sound of Jiyong’s heartbeat.

“SYSTEM OVERRIDE!” A loud siren rang through the hallways. We all stood up and held up our guns. Standing up, I distracted myself from all the crazy emotions and drew my blades before standing in front of the guys. I wasn’t going to allow anyone to hurt any of them. 

The door to the room started throbbing. Someone was hitting it from the other side. With every push, the door bent in. All of us held our breath as we saw the scene unfold in front of us. One bang. Two bang. And suddenly 3 guards were spilling into the room. Before any of us could react, the guard held up their hand and shouted at us to not shoot. I looked in confusion as I have never seen any of the guards talk. Looking at them in disbelief, I realised that they were not wearing the same uniform as the other guards. Quickly someone holding a machine gun was escorted by more guards into the room.

“PAPA YANG?!” Jiyong exclaimed in surprise, looking at him with huge eyes and glancing up and down his outfit. 

“What… The….” Youngbae uttered while Seungri smirked and move forward to hug him. 

“BOSS! I knew you there was some secret that you were hiding!” Seungri commented before earning himself a smack on his head.

“Moron maknae…. Come on guys. Move fast. We need to get out of here. There’s a helicopter.” He said, pointing at the other entrance.

Everyone nodded and started filling out of the room. Just before I could leave, Dr Leo held me back.

Hey. Take this research notes. Find Steven. He is the other scientist that knows about this. He can make you human again.

I nodded as I look at his face full of sincerity.

Be careful. If the secret service knows about this. They will try to erase all evident and that means they will kill you or experiment on you. So hide. Don’t ever let the secret service catch you.

I nodded once again.

“Y/N come on!” Jiyong called from halfway out the corridor. I glanced at him before looking back at Dr Leo.

I am gonna find the other prisoners and kill that bastard. Be safe.

I nodded, feeling tears welled up in my eyes.

“Go now.” He ushered and I nodded, sprinting all the way to Jiyong. Before I could reach him, a loud blast was heard from the side. Jiyong held his stomach and kneel down on the ground. Blood was seeping through his clothes and onto his hand. I shouted in shock as the rest of the guards came running back towards our directions. More gunfire were heard and I ducked down, not being able to go across the corridor to where Jiyong was kneeling. Papa Yang had now revert his steps and was dragging Jiyong to the helicopter.

“AHHHHH!” A guard shouted and I quickly looked in the direction. The evil boss was holding onto the syringe gun and shooting at the guards. On his other hand, he was holding onto a large blue transparent shield that seemed to protect him from any bullets.

I activated my blades and stood in the hallway in front of the guards. Naturally, the guards stopped shooting and I shouted at them to retreat.

“Well. Well. My princess. Come here. Come to daddy.” The evil boss smirked.

Without replying, I starting running towards him with my blades drawn. He fired the syringe gun several time but it didn’t stop me. I reached him in a matter of seconds and stabbed my blade through his stomach. He screamed as he fell to the ground and kneeled onto his knees.

“Why didn’t the… Syringe work??” He gasped in disbelief as I removed the syring stucked onto my thigh and jabbed it into his neck. The solution working quickly as he shouted and fell to the floor. Not wanting to take any change. I took the syringe gun from him and shot him a few more times. Standing up, I looked at the rest of the guards, daring them to come after me. But without the leader controlling the device on their neck, they stood there unmoving like statue. 

I stood up and before I turned, I heard the screams of her and a few others.

“Y/N help us!!!!” She shouted. I looked into the gap in the wall and realized that it was the lady that had reacted to me and somewhat saved me during the first time in the false world. She was the one that told me to keep quiet in the gravel field.

Just then, the guards started moving again, drawing their guns in my direction.

“!” I shouted as I ducked around the corner, running towards the helicopter.

“GO!!!” I shouted to Papa Yang who had his arm outstretched. He gasped in horror as he saw the blades extending out of my knuckles.

“NO Y/N!!!!!” Seunghyun shouted as he tried to disembark the helicopter but was held back by the rest.

“NO PLEASE GO. I will save the other prisoners and Dr Leo and I will come. GO!!!!!!!!” I shouted once more and Papa Yang nodded to the pilot. Seeing them leave safely put my mind to ease as I turned back towards the parade of guns coming into my directions.

I drew my blades and started running towards them, slicing them on the chest as I passed. I didn’t know what happened but I realised that I was able to run faster and move faster than all of them. With a few moves, I took a few grenade from their belt and engage it in towards the celling. It exploded and the celling gave way, trapping most of them under. Thinking that they might be kidnapped guards who were on mind control, I decided that I will not be killing any of them intentionally.

Moving back into the blue room, I located the map and found the entrance towards the prisoners. Running without thinking, I rushed to the room with the prisoners. Surprisingly, there wasn’t any guards on the way there to stop me. Once I reached the cell, I stopped in my tracks and covered my mouth in shock. Dr Leo was strapped onto the metal table and the rest of the prisoners was kneeling onto the ground. Behind them were dozens of guards pointing guns at them.

The. Other. Doctor.

I gasped as I saw them injecting a blue serum into Dr Leo arm. He screamed as he struggled against his restrains.

“STOP!” I shouted as I burst through the cell. Dr Leo eyes widen in response as he saw me.

What are you doing here you idiot!! - He communicated telepathically.

“Well well. What have we got here…..” The evil Doctor chuckled sinisterly. 

“Let go of them and I will spare your life!” I shouted as I extend my blades. He was unfazed by my comment and begun typing into the iPad. I started running towards him, taking down the few guards that stepped in to block me. Before I could reach him, my vision started to turn red and I lost control of my limbs. The evil Doctor laughed loudly before his expression turned into a dark one.

“Kill the prisoners.” He commanded and my body turned around on its own. The familiar girl eyes widen in response as she started shouting at me. I reached her in no time and was holding onto her neck, dragging her up the wall till her weight was entirely supported by my grip on her neck. She choked and trashed around as she called out my name.

“Y/N…. Pls….. I… Am…. Esther…..” She whispered. The name clicked in my head and suddenly the red vision disappeared. I shouted in pain as I cut myself on the leg with my blade. The feeling pf pain spread through my body and I started to gain control of my limbs once again. I dropped her onto the ground and turned to the evil Doctor.

Dr Leo laugh softly as he looked at the evil Doctor panicked stricken face. “Well well healing protocol. Have you forgotten. Early dementia?”

“Say goodbye.” I whispered as my blades went through the evil Doctor stomach. He gasped in agony and I stabbed him once again. He choked and fell backwards, blood pooling around him.

Turning my attention to the panel, I pressed the deactivate button and the guards collapsed onto the ground in a heap. With the release button, Dr Leo was freed from his restrains. The sound of police sirens rang through the hallways and I smiled. Finally we were safe.

RUN NOW. - Dr Leo voice echoed in my head.

I looked at him confused.

“I am gonna die, the serum is not compatible with my blood. Run. Don’t let them catch you. GO!”

I nodded and turned around making eye contact with the girl. She was helping the rest of the prisoners up.

“You remember me?” She asked.

I froze in my steps. She looked so familiar. I tried to recall but the sound of the footsteps was getting too close for comfort.

“Remember. When we were young.” She continued. he e door to the cell blasted opened, I run out of the other side as quickly as I could. Climbing onto the edge of the mountain, I strapped my harness onto the wires and began climbing down the side of the building. 

Esther…. My Neighbour that disappeared 10 years ago……