hot chocolate

classmates

There’s a ringing sensation on Lu Han’s lips. He shouldn’t have done that. Not when Changmin already has his hold on Minseok. All of Minseok’s effort, the way his breath hitches when he makes a mistake, the way he would take off his glasses and rub his eyes when he takes too long to correct his wronged note, the way he sings, all of it, everything for Changmin. How can he compete with someone who already won?

 


 

The emcee’s voice is loud and clear. “And for our next performance, Class 2-A… with their own rendition of 'Like Rain, Like Music'. Please give them a round of applause.”

He wasn’t supposed to be nervous. He’s been on stage for a thousand times. For some reason though, he is. He’s constantly wringing his hands or fiddling with his tie. I’m not nervous. Why would I be nervous? Changmin is at the front with his baton. He’s in the back with the tenors. Minseok is at the front line with the altos. It’s a perfect spot for him, Lu Han thinks, he can see Changmin clearly.

 

When the rain and the music flows, I think of you, my dear

Lu Han glances at Minseok. He knows he shouldn’t. Knows he has no chance, at all.

On the night you left me, it rained just like now

Again, today, I’m getting rained on, and spending the day away

But he can’t help himself. He’s singing right. There are no missed notes. I’m glad.

Cause the tales of our love—

 

Changmin stops conducting. “Lu, are you alright?”

Lu Han notices his cheeks are wet. He’s crying. Woohyun, who’s beside him, asks him what’s wrong. “Man, we promised we’d make Chwang cry, there’s no talk about us doing the crying.” He reaches to his pocket and hands Lu Han his handkerchief but Lu Han waves him off.

He’s…crying. He’s not sure why but all he’s sure about is he needs to get out of this place. He steps off the elevated platform and dashes through the backstage. He hears Changmin call his name. “Where are you going? We’re in the middle of a performance here!” He hears his classmate calling out his name. He hears the audience whispering. He hears a familiar voice call out his name.

Lu Han runs through the school yard. He needs to get out of the school. He needs to get away from Minseok and Changmin and everyone.

“Lu Han!”

He stops on his track and turns around.  What the hell are you doing here?

He must’ve said it aloud because Minseok’s usual soft expression hardens. He purses his lips. “What the hell am I doing here? What the hell are you doing here?” His voice is hard as steel when he walks up to Lu Han. “We were doing so great in the performance. Why’d you leave?” Minseok’s hand is circling his wrist and his gaze on Lu Han softens. Lu Han’s knees almost weakened.

“Minseok, just…just go back to the theatre. Changmin’s probably worrying about you now,” he says with a sigh. The last thing he wants right now is for Changmin to show up and indirectly rub onto Lu Han’s face that Minseok’s doing his best for him and not Lu Han. He pulls his hand away from Minseok, turns around and start walking again. It only took a few steps before he heard Minseok’s voice again. “Why do you always mention Mr. Shim when we’re talking? What does me running off to find you have anything to do with him?”

“Because I probably have a crush on you!” The blonde boy crouches down. “And that’s not how it should be. I mean, you were singing that song for Chwang!” He has his face on his hands. His voice is muffled but he’s sure Minseok can clearly hear him. “I helped the enemy. I’m such an idiot.” There are tears on his eyes as Lu Han hugs his knees. He probably looks like a kid but he is acting like a kid so it shouldn’t matter anymore. This is the worst feeling.

He wants to think Minseok has already walked away, back to the theater, back to Changmin. But he felt a hand on his shoulder and he’s back to the realization that Minseok saw him basically throw a tantrum. “Lu Han…” his voice is soft, like the hot chocolate his mother used to make him when he was younger. “Nobody ever said anything about working hard for the sake of Mr. Shim.”

“Huh?”

He’s crouching in front of Lu Han now and there’s a faint blush on his cheeks. “I mean, I enjoyed our practices together…and I thought that singing together with you was…”

Lu Han's eyes widen. “Singing together with me was…?”

“No, it’s…nothing," he says before standing up, a hand on the nape of his neck. TLu Han is quick on his feet though and already has a hand around Minseok's arm. “What about the second part? Tell me about the second part.” He just wants to know if he has a chance, even just a little bit. He needs to know.

“I mean… I felt like—“

 

“Lu! Kim! Where are the two of you?”

.” Lu Han swears Changmin is out to ruin Lu Han’s life. He grabs on to Minseok’s wrist and told him to run. “Let’s go! If they catch us, we’re both dead.”

The gym is not too far from them which means and if they run a bit faster, they’ll reach the equipment room. He doesn’t want to be caught, doesn’t want Changmin to take Minseok away. “Quick, come inside,” he motions to Minseok. The equipment room is tiny and dirty and they’re both panting and sweaty. 

Outside, the teachers are talking about them and he’s sure Minseok has heard all of it. Talking about how the  thought what Lu Han did was expected but they don’t understand what made Minseok do it. He has one hand on Minseok’s thigh and one on his wrist. He thinks this looks intimate.

“Do you think your glasses got in the way?” he asks Minseok once the voices outside quieted.

“Got in the way of what?” Minseok’s still peeking outside and Lu Han just wants Minseok to look at him. He puts a hand on Minseok’s cheek.

“Our kiss.”

Lu Han wanted to tilt Minseok’s head to face his but Minseok’s already doing it. “What did you say?”

Lu Han wants to kiss his soft, pink lips and he did.

 


a/n: sorry, this is shorter than i expected :(