wine-colored days

classmates

The following days are spent studying a new poem. It’s for their World Literature and he’s never had problems with the subject before but for some reason, he is. He shouldn’t be bothered by it but it’s distracting and Minseok can’t afford to be distracted. Not after what happened in the school festival. He’s heard the rumors about him and Lu Han. Some are disappointed in him, saying he could do much better than Lu Han. Some are disappointed in Lu Han, pitying him for being interested in a boring, nerdy boy. He tries not to let it get to him.

And really, there’s nothing to worry about since they’re not dating and he’s not even remotely interested in Lu Han. He can’t be. He moved to Seoul so he can study in a prestigious school. He already has his future planned out. He graduates with honors, enroll in a university, graduate with honors, and get a satisfying job. He’s not letting a little love—no, he’s not in love—distract him.

Yet every time he looks at Lu Han who is two seats and a row from him, his heart can’t help but skip a beat.

 


 

He’s on his way to the changing room when he heard the voices.

“So, what’s going on between you and Minseok?” he hears Jaehyo’s voice. “Is there something between the two of you?”

“’Something’...?”

“I mean, after that thing that happened at the school festival. And I’ve seen the way you look at him and you sorta kept staring at each other like, during class,” Jaehyo lets out a laugh. “Also, you keep going home with him.”

He hears Lu Han let out a soft sigh. “Oh.”

“I mean, it’s probably nothing but I just wondered…” There’s a shuffle inside, a sound of a locker closing. “He’s totally different from us, you know. So seeing you together with him is kinda…”

“Weird?”

“Yeah, kinda weird.”

Lu Han laughs. “Don’t laugh, you ! There are rumors, you know?”

“Yeah, rumors? What kind?” Minseok can hear the smile in Lu Han’s voice and it hurts.

He hears the door open. “The kind you get in an all-boys school.”

 Lu Han laughs a little more and Minseok pretends he didn’t feel sad as Lu Han and Jaehyo walk away.

 


 

Lu Han, as expected, offers to take Minseok to the cram school and even when Minseok thinks of refusing, he can’t. It’s like Lu Han has a special charm in him, constantly reeling him in. Minseok doesn’t want to drown.

It’s drizzling and they’re sharing an umbrella because of course Lu Han doesn’t bring an umbrella with him.

“It’s okay here, Lu Han,” he says as they reach the bus stop near the cram school.

“Just a bit more. The cram school is just round the corner. Just ‘till the corner.”

They walk in silence. Only the pitter-patter of rain can be heard. Minseok looks over to Lu Han’s side and notices that his shoulder is wet from the rain. He moves the umbrella a bit to Lu Han’s side. “Lu Han, your sleeve is getting wet.” Lu Han glances at his shoulder before shrugging and moves it back to its original position. “That’s okay, I don’t really use an umbrella when I’m alone.”

 

 

They walk a bit further and Minseok walks a bit faster.

"Can you hold the umbrella for a bit? My shoelaces are untied," Lu Han says, handing the umbrella to Minseok. When he's done, he's quick to take the umbrella, their fingers brushing against each other's. Lu Han leans in as Minseok wipes his glasses and asks, “Can I kiss you?” Minseok is quick to say No. Lu Han kisses him anyway, with one hand on Minseok’s chin and another on his cheek. Minseok can only close his eyes and clutch the umbrella handle.

Minseok opens his eyes when he feels his shoulder getting wet. He pushes Lu Han away with a little bit more strength than he’s used to. “I said no!” He walks rapidly to get away from Lu Han. The rain be damned.

“Why not?” Lu Han is following him, he’s sure. “Aren’t we going out?”

Minseok scoffs. “We are not going out.”

“ Minseok-ah, do you kiss people you’re not dating?”

“So, let’s not,” he starts walking again. He hears Lu Han’s huh? Before turning around to face him. “Let’s not do it, then.”

When Minseok walks away, he convinces himself he doesn’t want Lu Han to follow him.

 

 


a/n: sorry it took me so long to update!