someone left a comment card in the suggestions box that says “the library assistant is super cute” and now all of the library assistants are arguing over who it’s for

Between The Shelves

Jaebum wasn’t sure why they still had a suggestion box.  The small container at the end of the check-out desk next to a pile of small pieces of papers and a stubby pencil was left untouched on most days.

At the end of the week, they had to empty it, but there were never any real suggestions in there.  Sometimes you’d get a random complaint, a folded up drawing of a , and the odd cracker, but nothing that really constituted them having the box in the first place.  No matter how much they asked, the librarian refused to get rid of it.

It was after hours, the library had closed for the night and he was with Jinyoung organizing a few things before they went back to their dorm.  It was a Friday, so Jaebum had to empty out the box, and he was thankful only one piece of paper fluttered out when he tipped it over.

Jinyoung had finished whatever he was doing and walked over to him, waiting for him to leave as well.  “Want to take bets before you unfold that?  Ten dollars it’s just another drawing.”

“I’m not agreeing to that one, it’s too heavily weighted in your favour.”  Jinyoung chuckled and Jaebum opened it, bracing his eyes for how detailed this week’s drawing was going to be.  Instead, he was greeted by a single sentence scrawled across the piece of paper.

‘The library assistant is super cute! ;)’

Jinyoung and Jaebum exchanged looks.  “Well that’s a new one, I’m flattered, though.”

“How do you know they were talking about you?”  The library had only two assistants working there, himself and Jinyoung.

“Oh,” Jinyoung realized what he had just implied and was embarrassed. “It’s just that you mostly work reshelving and I work the front counter, so I just thought if they were talking about library assistants they would automatically assume me.”

“I work the counter sometimes; a lot of people know me.”  Jaebum wasn’t going to let Jinyoung escape that easily.

“Okay, it could be either of us.  They didn’t mention so… I guess we’ll never know.”  Jinyoung picked up his bag to leave but Jaebum stood where he was.

“You automatically assumed it was for you.  Do you think you’re better-looking than me?”

Jinyoung’s face twisted, he knew this was coming.  “No!  I told you already… besides, I’m more of the ‘cute’ type, don’t you think?  You have more of a ‘handsome’ or ‘y’ vibe.”

“They didn’t really have to mean it as ‘cute’ so literally, it’s just a general term these days.”

Jinyoung sighed dramatically.  “What do you want me to say?”

“I just want you to admit you think you’re more attractive than me.” 

“I don’t think that.” 

“So, you think I’m the more attractive one?”

“Ah- well… no,” Jaebum snorted at his honesty.  “I’d say we’re equally attractive, right?”

“Yet, we’re not equally likely to receive a love confession, according to you.”  Jinyoung was muttering to himself, something about ‘how could I have said that with thinking… he’s never going to let me live this down’ “Let’s break this down logically, how many times have you been propositioned- one night stands don’t count.”

“I’ve never had a one night stand, but I’m glad you think so highly of me.”  Jinyoung replied starkly.

“There was that time at the Christmas party last year or, were you too drunk to remember that?”

 Jinyoung stared at him blankly.  “I… what?  Nothing happened at the Christmas party.”

“Do you even remember the Christmas party?”

“Well honestly I’m kind of blanking but I’m sure if anything that… drastic… happened, I would’ve remembered.”

“So, you don’t remember telling Mark to put on that ugly sweater Jackson got him, him taking his shirt off and you yelling ‘Wow!  When did you get so ripped Mark!’ and proceeding to stick your tongue down his throat right in the middle of the living room.  You were both completely wasted, so he didn’t even complain.”

“What?!  That can’t be true, Mark never mentioned anything to me… wait, are you telling me that… we…”

“Well, me being to the responsible roommate I forced you to go back to our dorm before you passed out but you couldn’t keep your hands off Mark so he ended up there as well… and I guess one thing lead to another..”

Jinyoung looked like he had just witnessed a murder.  “What?!  Are you serious?!  No way, there’s no way.  That didn’t happen!”  He put his hands on his face, trying to process the situation.

“I slept on the floor outside our dorm thanks to you.  I had a kink in my back for a week.  I ended up waking up at around 6am and told Mark to leave, couldn’t let your pure façade be ruined, y’know.” Jaebum had a smug look on his face.

Jinyoung was just looking at the ground regretting his entire life and Jaebum couldn’t help it anymore, bursting out laughing. 

“I’m sorry, I can’t watch you like this anymore- It’s too funny.”  He keeled over and held his stomach as he couldn’t get over and Jinyoung quickly realized the situation.

“You , how dare you make up lies?”  Jinyoung was one second away from knocking him upside the head.

“Hey, it’s partly true.  You did make out with Mark in the living room, but then I made sure to haul your back to our room and stuff you into bed before you did anything that stupid.  You were both too wasted to recall anything.”

“So you’re telling me I kissed Mark… and I don’t remember it.”

“You should see the look on your face right now, priceless.  I knew saving this piece of information for the right moment would be worth it.”

“I don’t deserve this; I didn’t mean to say that out loud in the first place!”

“Oh, so you admit you thought you were more attractive!”  Jaebum was half celebrating his victory and half still laughing his off.

 “Give me that.”  Jinyoung snatched the piece of paper from Jaebum’s hand to rip it up but when he looked at it, he saw another part written in the corner, Jaebum’s thumb had covered it.

‘From, JW

Jinyoung chuckled to himself before he handed the piece of paper back to Jaebum.

“I was wrong; this note is definitely for you.”