i found you asleep in the stacks. we’re closed. please go home.

Between The Shelves

“Jackson.”

Jinyoung shook him but he just kept on snoring.

“Jackson, wake up.”

Jinyoung shook him a bit harder.  He stirred a bit, but then fell right back asleep.

Jinyoung sighed and mustered up some air in his lungs.

“JACKSON! WAKE UP!”

That got his attention.  He jolted from his slumber right away.  “Huh?  No!  I really don’t know the answer!”

“Jackson, you’re not in class.”  Jinyoung crossed his arms and glared at him from where he was standing.

“I’m not… what… where am I?”  Jackson looked around, completely out of it.

“You’re in the library.  You were sleeping, using that pile of books as a pillow.”  Jinyoung pointed to the stack and Jackson looked like his memories were slowly fading back in.  “We’re closing now, you need to go home.”

Jinyoung was expecting Jackson’s normal quip but instead, he tried to get up but collapsed back down half way, causing Jinyoung to try and grab him to hold him up.  “Hey, are you okay?”

“Sorry, just a little tired.  I have an assignment due tomorrow… I must’ve dozed off working on it.”  Jackson yawned and tried to lie back down on his pile of books in the corner.

“Hey, hey!  Jackson, stop.  You can’t sleep here!”  Jinyoung was planning to make fun of him but now he was genuinely concerned.  “I didn’t ask about the assignment, are you okay?”

Jinyoung had been rooming with Jackson for two days now and he hadn’t truly paid attention at first but now that he thought about it, Jackson always seemed to be busy doing something.  He was barely ever in the dorm.  He even stayed up until the wee hours of the morning practicing fencing, since he was too busy to do so during the day.  It was no wonder he just collapsed.

“Jinyoung, don’t worry about me.  I’m alright.  Trust me.”  Jackson eyes were red and glazed over as he spoke to him.  It was so strange seeing him in such a down mood compared to his usual self, bursting with energy.

“You don’t look alright Jackson.  Don’t lie to me.”  No matter how many times they argued or didn’t get along, they were actually really close friends.  Jinyoung couldn’t help but feel worried.  “I know you barely attend classes, where are you all day and night?”

Jackson looked like he didn’t really want to answer and Jinyoung wouldn’t let him go until he did.  “Well, I have jobs.  Three of them, to be exact.  I just got a new one, the hours are kind of demanding.  It’s not a big deal. I can handle it, and of course, I need to keep my fencing skills up to par so I can compete.  Since there isn’t any other time, I try to get in some practice during the night…”

“Jackson that’s crazy!  You can’t be working 24 hours of the day.  You have to take a break sometimes.”

“No, Jinyoung… you don’t understand.”  Jackson sighed and tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes before answering.  “My mom’s not in good condition.  She needs back surgery… It’s going to cost a lot.  I was already working hard to pay off my school debt but now I need to work even harder to help with this.  I can’t just leave her hanging.”

Jackson looked so vulnerable and Jinyoung just wanted to reach out and pat his head.  “Jackson… I understand that but you can’t be overworking yourself like this either.  What would your mom say if she knew about this?  Would she want you to be so tired you pass out in public places?”

“I just want to make her happy.”  Jackson looked towards to window.  It was already completely dark outside.  “My father always tells me this, ‘If you work hard enough at it, you can grind even an iron rod down to a needle.’  I know I may have to push myself and work hard right now but once I earn enough money all of this is going to be worth it.  I should be grateful that I have all these opportunities.”

“Jackson…”  Jinyoung wasn’t sure what to say.  Jackson was obviously dead-set on his actions. 

“Aw, what?  Is Jinyoungie actually worried about me?”  Jackson was smiling again and Jinyoung was relieved to see him not look so defeated.

“Yes, I’m worried, you idiot.  My friend passed out in the library.”  Jinyoung was smiling and Jackson finally held out his hand for Jinyoung to help him onto his feet.  “I understand your reasons, but that doesn’t mean I completely agree with them.”  Jackson swung his arm around Jinyoung’s shoulders to keep his balance.  “At least, let me help you with your schoolwork or something?”

“Not needed, I can handle it… although I might need to send out an e-mail about the project I fell asleep on today.  I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it tonight.” 

“You’re going to sleep as soon as we get back to the room, I’ll send that e-mail for you.”  Jackson looked at him and smiled.

“What, so I can’t go practice fencing tonight?”  Jinyoung shot him an angry stare and Jackson just laughed.  “That was a joke; don’t look at me like that.”

“You’re completely ridiculous Jackson, I’ll never understand you.”

“Hmm, that’s fine.”  Jackson let out a yawn he was trying to hold back and rested his head against Jinyoung’s shoulder as they walked.  “Hey, Jinyoung?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you.”