your study group ordered pizza to the library and you let me have some

Between The Shelves

“Uh, pizza delivery?”  A boy in uniform was standing at the library counter, large pizza box in hand.

Jaebum looked up from where he was scanning books.  “I think you have the wrong address, this is a university library.”

“Actually, the guy who ordered it mentioned it was this library, he said it was okay.”  The boy shifted his weight to one knee and just stared at them, a rebellious look in his eye.

“This is not okay!”  Jinyoung came barging in behind the counter.  Jaebum had thought he was up on the second floor reshelving books.  He must’ve had some sort of sixth sense to know when people were breaking library rules.  “Absolutely no food allowed in the library.”

Jaebum got up from his chair and went over the mediate as well.  “Wait,” Jaebum eyed the pizza box before cracking the lid open.  “Oh my god, this isn’t even Korean-style pizza, this is western-style! We can’t turn this down.”

Jinyoung crossed his arms and stared at Jaebum.  “You know, for someone who says they don’t like western-style food you really do love pizza and burgers.” 

“Hey, we all have our exceptions.”  After taking one more loving glance at the pizza he closed the box.  “Sorry, who is this pizza delivery for?”

The boy looked like dealing with them was the most annoying task in the world.  He pulled out the receipt and read off the name.  “This delivery is for… Markson?”

Jinyoung audibly groaned and Jaebum just snatched the pizza box from his hand and walked it over to the table at the very back of the library where he knew he’d find Mark and Jackson.

“Yo!  Pizza’s here!”  Jackson yelled when he saw Jaebum approaching and reached his arms out to grab to pizza box from him.  Instead, Jaebum just set the box down on the table, pulled out a chair to sit down, and grabbed the first slice himself.  “Hey hey hey!  That’s our pizza you’re eating!”

Jaebum devoured his first slice before answering.  “Your pizza, my workplace.  I deserve at least half.”

Mark decided to silently grab a slice before Jaebum got his hands on the rest.

“No way!  I ordered this pizza for our private study session.  I haven’t eaten all day!  I could eat five of these things!”

“Well, you should’ve considered that before you ordered to the library or all places.  Couldn’t you have just taken a lunch break and went out and eaten something?”

“And risk losing our study table?  This prime location is not a spot you gamble with.  We need to eat here.”  Jackson looked offended he would even suggest such a thing.

“Well you better eat quickly; I can see Jinyoung on his way to shut down your pizza party.”  Sure enough, Jinyoung had finally made his way down there.

“You,” Jinyoung stared directly at Jackson.  “I expected this from you.”  Then Jinyoung fixed his gaze on Jaebum.  “I didn’t expect this from you.”

Jaebum just shrugged while shoving another slice in his mouth.  

“Sorry mom, how about we give you a free slice and call it a truce this time?”  Jackson offered.

“I don’t want your pizza!  You guys need to get rid of this or leave immediatel—“

“Jinyoungie.”  Mark spoke and Jinyoung’s face immediately softened.

“Yes?”

“Say ahh.”  Mark was holding up a pizza slice while doing that cute nose-scrunching thing he did.

Jinyoung leaned in and took a bite of the pizza Mark was holding obediently.  Mark made a satisfied noise and Jackson muttered a quiet ‘ew’.  “Hmm, this is actually pretty good,” Jinyoung admitted as he sat down and grabbed a slice of his own.  “I’ll let you guys slide this time, but we’re disinfecting the table and sweeping up any crumbs afterwards.”

All four of them were munching happily when they were startled by a loud clearing of the throat that came from behind them.  “Uh, guys?”  The pizza delivery boy was standing behind them.  “Are you going to pay me or nah?”

Jackson and Mark exchanged glances before Jackson piped in.  “I actually forgot my wallet, so did Mark.” Mark nodded in agreement.

Jaebum stared angrily at them.  “You ordered pizza but don’t have your wallets, what kind of logic is that?”

“I just realized!  I swear!”  Jackson leaned towards Jaebum, a diabolical smirk on his face. “It looks like you ate the most anyways.  You should pay.”

Jaebum turned to Jinyoung.  “We can split it then, Jinyoung?  It shouldn’t be that much.”

Jinyoung would always be on his side.  Best friends for the past six years had to mean something.

“Ehh?  I barely had two slices, besides Jaebum aren’t you loaded?”  Jaebum just stared at his supposed best friend incredulously.

“Jaebum!  You are loaded aren’t you?  Don’t lie; I know you do musical gigs on the side.”  Jackson continued, much to Jaebum’s dismay.

“Isn’t your wallet alone worth two hundred dollars?  I heard it’s Gucci.”  He made a mental note to take the bookmarks out from all of Jinyoung’s books later at their dorm.

Jackson began a chant and soon Mark and Jinyoung joined in.  “Jaebum!  Jaebum!  Jaebum!”

Jaebum sighed and pulled out his wallet with a heavy heart, this brought about cheering from Mark and Jackson, and Jinyoung telling them not to be so loud.

Jaebum scoffed as the pizza boy rudely snatched the money from his hands and walked out.  Jaebum then turned back to the table of people he thought were his friends.  “This was a one-time deal; don’t expect any more favours from now on.”

Jackson muttered out a ‘sure’ but the he started giggling and the two others joined in to laugh at his misery.

Traitors.