10. Rescue

The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up

He watched Taemin leave with the fairies, but something about this whole situation didn’t sit well with him. He followed Taemin’s instructions and took the cart of stakes back to the tribe.

Jaejoong saw Kai approaching with the cart and went to help. “Where’s Taemin?” He asked after realizing that the younger was not present.

“Some fairy soldiers came and took him with,” he answered. He tried to keep the blush from showing on his cheeks. The last thing he wanted them to know was that he was making out with Taemin in the forest.

Dewey and Tink flew up to them when they, too, noticed that the white-haired boy was no longer with Kai. “Did you say fairy soldiers?” Dewey asked.

Jaejoong nodded. He relayed everything to the others, seeing as he was the only one who could talk to the two fairies.

The two fae shared a concerned and knowing look which did not go unnoticed by the other three.

Their moods turned serious, attracting the attention of Onew, Minho, and Jonghyun. The three of them walked over. They were unsure of the details, but when they heard them, Jonghyun’s face grew cold and detached.

The eldest shuffled back and forth, “All of this fairy drama and BS is ridiculous. I can’t stand all of it.” He turned, angry and walked away from them.

Jaejoong looked at the other two questioningly, “What’s his deal?”

Onew shrugged, “Let him brood for a while.”

    “He’ll be back,” Minho concurred.

    Jaejoong looked back at the fae, “What does it mean when someone is summoned by the soldiers?”

    Dewey sighed, “It’s not good. Whatever it is. The Council never uses the soldiers unless they’re about to do something drastic.”

    Kai’s eyebrows furrowed, “What would they do?” He waited as Jaejoong listened and told them the answer.

    Tink spoke up, “The last time they used the soldiers, they exiled someone, but that was seventeen hundred years ago.”

    Kai’s heart dropped to his stomach, “They’re going to hurt him, maybe even kill him. We have to find him.”

    Kai turned to go to the Fairy Kingdom, but he stopped by a hand on his arm. Onew looked at him, “We’ll go with you,” he said gesturing to a concurrent Minho.

~

 

    They walked through the forest, twigs snapping and leaves crunching under their feet. Kai led them through the trees looking for any trace of Taemin. They walked for what seemed like hours, but they had to find their friend. They ended up at the fairy Kingdom, where they met with Dewey.

    The fairy shook his head. Indicating that they gave no information that would tell him where the younger had gone. Dewey was secretly worried about the boy. Despite the fact that the fairy council had charged him with teaching the boy to fly, he had actually enjoyed the young one’s company.

    Just as the group was about to leave to search the forest again, Kai caught sight of a small female fae peeking out from behind a tree. She gestured for them to follow her.

    Dewey watched as they followed something behind a tree. He went to find out and when he did he was met with the council leader Zelkova. He bowed to her deeply as a sign of respect, “Madam, where has the boy, Lee Taemin, gone?” Her eyes darkened with many different emotions, and for a split second, Dewey thought that the rumours may have some truth to them.

    She sighed, “He has been punished for abusing his powers.” She saw anger flash across the other’s face. “I had no choice Dewey. The Council wished it, and there was no way for me to go against the wishes of the Council. I cannot reverse the punishment, but I can tell you where the boy is.”

    “Where is he?”

    “He has been taken to the other side of the island. To the tree. The Council ordered Taemin to be banished to the tree.”

    “They banished him to Hangman’s Tree? Peter’s Home?”

    She nodded and flew away.

    Dewey flew down to the group and signaled them to follow him.

 

    ~

 

    They followed Dewey back to the tribe, where the fairy found Jaejoong. By the time they got to the tribe, it was sunrise.

    Dewey explained to the Chief the events of what had happened and where Taemin could be found.

    “The Fae Council has banished Taemin to a place on the other side of Neverland. It is called Hangman’s Tree. The place where Peter Pan once called home.”

    Minho looked at the Chief questioningly, “How long will it take to get there?”

    “About a day’s walk, but you have to go through the secret pass in the mountains. Kai will show you how to get there.”

    Kai nodded and began packing provisionals. He packed enough meat and water into their separate bags for three days, along with some for Taemin when they found him. He handed them their knapsacks and started walking.

    “We’re going now?” asked Onew.

    “Of course. We have to find him and bring him back,” he answered. He led them down from the cliff face on which the tribe had settled. They traversed the fields and meadows at the bottom of the valley. Thankfully the weather was warm, but not overwhelmingly hot. They stopped for a short lunch on the banks of the river. After eating, they waded across the river at the base of the mountain, taking care to hold their bags up and keep them dry.

    Kai led them to a small alcove at the base of the mountain. He told them the history of where they were going so that they could stave off their boredom. “Peter used this Tree as a hideout for many years. He knew that he was protected from the pirates on the land side by the mountains, and he was protected by the cliffs on the other.” He took them through a secret pass under the mountain, “This place is the safest place on Neverland, but it is also the most solitary and lonely.”

    They approached the tree quietly so as to not startle the younger. They found him inside the tree looking at the artifacts left by its last owner. His head snapped up when he heard Onew knock on the outside bark.

    Kai walked inside slowly, “Taemin? We’ve come to take you back home,” he said gesturing to Onew and Minho. He looked at the younger’s eyes, they seemed changed, wild even.

    The white-haired boy raised his eyebrow with the of his head,“We?” He looked at them, “I don’t know you. Who are you?”

 

A/N

Sorry for the font change. I was just really feeling the Comic Sans.