(05)

Blindr

chapter 5


Kyungsoo stares at the enormous campus before him, sighing longingly and pressing his hands to his heart. The college calls him, wills him to join and share his love and talent for cooking with the rest of the students – but the money in his bank account says otherwise, and it’s agonising to stand so close to his dreams and know he simply can’t reach them.

“This place offers a culinary arts course, doesn’t it?” Baekhyun asks slowly, scanning Kyungsoo’s face for a reaction. His friend’s lips purse together, and he turns away. “Yeah.”

“Aw, don't look so down. There’s always scholarships. And other stuff.”

“You’re so lucky your parents are giving you money,” Kyungsoo sighs. “And that you have a chance to think about your future.”

“It’s not so easy having literally no idea what your purpose is,” Baekhyun defends. “All I do is waste money on video games and food.” He hooks his arm into Kyungsoo’s and leads him to the nearby bus stop, subtly checking his phone and reading over the texts Sehun is sending him.

“Hey, speaking of wasting money, I’ve got to run and get some groceries. You head home, alright? I’ll call you this afternoon.”

“Alright. See you later.” Kyungsoo recoils as Baekhyun blows him a kiss, and looks to the ground out of shame. Sometimes Baekhyun is so hard to be friends with in public.

Baekhyun: He’s at the bus stop now
Sehun: Nice

Sehun: Jongin just texted me and said he’s heading out of the building
Sehun: Was there anyone else there?
Baekhyun: No Kyungsoo is sitting alone

Baekhyun looks up from his phone and almost trips as he meets eyes with Jongin, who just happens to be walking in his direction with his backpack slung over his shoulder. His face is blotched with red and his bangs are stringy with sweat, but despite his obvious exhaustion, he manages a polite smile as they meet eyes and walk past one another. Baekhyun forces himself to smile back, and he turns and dives behind a tree the moment he’s sure Jongin can’t see him.

Baekhyun: LOL I JUST WALKED PAST HIM

He waits for the distance between himself and Jongin to stretch until he’s sure it’s safe to follow, and slips out from the shelter of the tree, quietly following the oblivious dance student.

Sehun: Follow him
Baekhyun: I am!!

Baekhyun: He’s all sweaty and gross though
Sehun: Kyungsoo better have low standards or we’re ed
Baekhyun: …no comment

Baekhyun hides behind a clump of bushes adjacent to the bus stop, in full view of Jongin and Kyungsoo, and hopefully in hearing distance, too. So far, Jongin has seated himself beside Kyungsoo, and neither of them are talking. But Kyungsoo is most certainly looking.

“Excuse me, but…”

Jongin looks up and over at the voice, and freezes up at the sight of the man sitting beside him. He didn’t even notice him when he sat down, but he’s recognised him now, and it’s far too late to get away, because Kyungsoo obviously recognises him, too.

“Oh,” Jongin says squeakily. “Hi.”

“It’s Jongin, right?”

“Yeah. I’m—I promise I’m not following you.”

Kyungsoo laughs sheepishly and wrings his hands, and Jongin manages to smile back, taken aback by sheer disbelief. He assumed the second meeting to be a coincidence, but three times is just a little ridiculous.

“I’m beginning to think this is some sort of set-up,” Kyungsoo jokes, and Baekhyun buries himself deeper in the bushes, making sure he’s fully out of view.

“I just came out of the same class I take every week,” Jongin promises. “So I’m not initiating this.”

“Oh, you go to college? Just here?” Kyungsoo says curiously, immediately perking up in interest. Baekhyun grins, and shuffles awkwardly to take out his phone.

Baekhyun: YES ITS WORKING

Jongin nods shyly, fiddling with his fingers and looking back in the direction of the college. “Yeah. Do you?”

“No,” Kyungsoo sighs. “I can’t afford it. But I really want to.”

“What do you want to study?” Jongin asks gently, with an air of genuine curiosity and light-hearted inquisition. Kyungsoo chuckles sheepishly and admits his desire to pursue the culinary arts, to which Jongin enthusiastically reciprocates with an explanation of his passion for dance.

Sehun: What’s happening?
Baekhyun: IDK they’re talking about dancing and

Baekhyun: No offense but Jongin is lucky he’s hot
Sehun: Why? What do u mean
Baekhyun: He’s so ing boring
Sehun: Shut up
Sehun: Ur right though

“I know a few people that study the culinary arts. Apparently the professors are really great,” Jongin says. Kyungsoo nods eagerly, his chin cupped in the palms of his hands, listening intently. It’s not much information, but it’s enough to paint an image in his mind that makes his imagination soar.

“One day,” Kyungsoo murmurs, more to himself than Jongin, but Jongin hears him anyway. He doesn’t respond.

The bus pulls up in front of them and Jongin stands, and Baekhyun smiles once he realises he’s waiting for Kyungsoo to get up as well.

“You’re catching the same bus?”

“Oh. Yeah.”

Kyungsoo pushes himself to his feet and smiles sheepishly, and they board the bus side by side while Baekhyun’s fingers move quickly as he texts Sehun on what’s happening.

Unfortunately, it’s only when Kyungsoo reaches his stop and stands up from his seat beside Jongin do they decide to exchange phone numbers. “We’re probably going to meet again, anyway,” Kyungsoo laughs, tapping his number into Jongin’s phone. But, despite this exchange being out of view, Baekhyun and Sehun are still thrilled at the amount of progress being made – for the first time, it really, truly seems like they have a chance.

[] [] []

“Maybe it’s fate,” Sehun suggests, one hand on his phone, the other shovelling takeaway cheesecake into his mouth. Jongin watches him suspiciously from the kitchen, warming milk over the stove to make hot chocolate.

“I don’t think so,” he says disapprovingly. “Fate wouldn’t set me up with someone I embarrassed myself in front of on the first meeting.”

“Holy hell, Jongin,” Sehun complains, sitting up on the sofa and turning to face his friend. “You’ve run into a cute guy, three times, who’s interested in your girly dancing , and you’ve got his number. This is, like, your dream come true. Why are you pushing it away?”

Jongin concentrates on pouring the hot chocolate in his mug before he joins Sehun on the couch with furrowed eyebrows.

“Are you sure this isn’t just a set-up?”

Sehun scoffs, rolling his eyes and turning back to his phone. “Don’t be an idiot.”

Sehun: Haha he thinks it’s a setup
Baekhyun: How is that funny

Baekhyun: It is a setup

“Why are you so adamant about me pursuing this guy?”

“Really, Jongin?” Sehun deadpans. “When was the last time you met an interesting guy that’s willing to pursue you back?”

Jongin considers this for a moment, and hesitantly slides back into the sofa, pressing the mug against his lips. “I guess so…” he murmurs, staring away idly in deep thought.

“Just text him. He seems like a decent guy.”

“He’s got my number. I’ll wait for him to text first.”

Sehun is sure that somewhere, a number of suburbs away, Baekhyun is having the same conversation with Kyungsoo, and he hopes like hell he won’t have to pretend to be Jongin once more just to get them talking again.

[] [] []

For the very first time, Jongin slows down as he walks by the culinary arts building, stopping and watching students enter and exit in dribs and drabs. He’s never really paid attention to it, but he thinks back to his previous conversation with Kyungsoo, and feels strangely inclined to explore.

With an air of hesitance, he walks into the building and keeps his head down, hoping nobody will notice that he is most definitely not a chef-in-the-making – the sweaty clothes and dancing shoes don’t exactly help.

He pulls out his phone and snaps a couple of photos of the lecture rooms, the kitchens, and the students, before he ducks out and escapes before someone notices him. He compiles the photographs and texts them to Kyungsoo, smiling in satisfaction. Sehun would be proud of him.

Kyungsoo: !!!
Kyungsoo: Noooooo

Jongin: Haha sorry
Kyungsoo: I’m so jealous ㅠㅠ

Jongin isn’t quite sure of how to respond, and wonders what Sehun would advise him to do as he walks down to the bus stop. He’s surprised to feel disappointment when he reaches it and find that Kyungsoo isn’t there.

Jongin: Scholarship? :p
Kyungsoo: I’m probably not good enough

Jongin: You haven’t applied for one yet?
Kyungsoo: No

Jongin scratches his head in thought, curious of how to respond. From what Kyungsoo has told him, Jongin had assumed his passion for cooking would have driven him to do anything to enter college – it surprises him to realise he hasn’t attempted to apply for a scholarship.

Jongin: How come?
Kyungsoo: I doubt I’d get in

Jongin: Don’t be so hard on yourself!
Jongin: I’m sure you’re a great chef
Kyungsoo: My job status as a waiter really says something about my skills
Jongin: Don’t say that

He climbs onto the bus, still heavily focused on his phone, and slides into an empty seat as he considers what to say. An image of Sehun persists to float in his mind, convincing him to take action, urging him to chase after the potential relationship. His fingers tremble, but he types a relatively provoking response, looking forward to the praise Sehun will give him for his bravery.

Jongin: Maybe you could show me your cooking sometime and I’ll judge?

It takes about two minutes for Kyungsoo to respond, and in that short space of time, Jongin is sure he’s deterred the guy forever. So much for the pursuit. And he was such a nice guy, too

Kyungsoo: What if I poison you
Jongin: You work at a restaurant so I trust you

Kyungsoo: Waiters can’t poison people

Jongin is surprised by how weirdly endearing Kyungsoo’s insecurity is. It’s almost refreshing to see how modest he is.

Jongin: Can you make cheesecake?
Kyungsoo: Yes! I love baking desserts

Jongin: I’ve got to try it
Jongin: For science

Another pause follows the text and Jongin begins to panic that he’s pushing too hard and Kyungsoo is getting the wrong idea. Or the right idea. Honestly, Jongin isn’t interested in the romantic chase – he’s only doing it for Sehun’s sake – and he doesn’t want to lose his new friend because he’s trying too hard for something he doesn’t exactly want.

Kyungsoo: I’m not working Thursday night if that suits you?

The bus pulls up at his stop, and Jongin beams in delight. He tries to convince himself it’s because he’s proud of taking action to develop a potential relationship, but something else excites him about the prospect of seeing Kyungsoo again.

Jongin: Sounds great!
Kyungsoo: I’ll text u my address then
Kyungsoo: Just in case you think I’m stalking you, and you don’t want to give me yours

Jongin stumbles as he exits the bus, and hurries off in embarrassment, painfully aware of the stares he’s receiving. He’s still smiling all the same.

Maybe Sehun was right, after all.


 ( a/n ] this is hella fast paced n im sorry !!!!!!! im so bad at writin fics wtf the ?????? i mean its funny to me because i have a sense of humour but to everyone else this is probably cringeworthy........i mean it is cringeworthy i still cringe u know what imma stop talkin now and leave BYE love u guys

word count: 1876