(03)

Blindr

chapter 3


“How did you find this place?” Jongin says curiously. “It’s so far away from home. And you hate travelling long distances.”

“Got good ratings. And it’s cheap,” Sehun says dismissively. In all honestly, the restaurant could be terrible and a total rip-off, he hasn’t exactly bothered to check. But Jongin won’t notice that once he’s met Kyungsoo.

The plan is simple. Sehun and Jongin will sit down for a meal together, Kyungsoo will approach them as their waiter, and Sehun will leave halfway through the meal because “his mother broke her arm and he needs to get to the hospital right now.” Baekhyun has talked to all of the staff at the restaurant behind Kyungsoo’s back – they’re all desperate for him to get a boyfriend so the set-up came as a pleasant surprise to all of them – and have organised to let him off once Sehun leaves, claiming there’s “too many staff for too little customers”. Jongin will be left alone with a half-empty plate, Kyungsoo will succumb to his immediate attraction to Jongin and keep him company out of pity, and Baekhyun and Sehun will celebrate with bubble tea while their best friends get some in the bathrooms.

Okay, maybe not the last bit. But Sehun is hopeful for the bubble tea anyway.

Sehun checks his phone to make sure he’s standing outside the correct building, before he yanks Jongin inside, forcing himself not to smile from excitement.

The first thing he sees is the dessert display at the front of the restaurant, and the wonderful, stunning array of cheesecakes calling his name from the pristine glass cabinets. The second thing he sees is Baekhyun, seated alone at a table in the corner, staring directly at him. They exchange very brief and sly smirks, before Sehun turns back to the waiter at the counter and requests for a table for two.

The waiter directs them to an empty table, and Sehun notices him making eye contact with Baekhyun in the corner. Baekhyun nods to the staff member, before covering his face with the hood of his jacket, and Sehun knows the plan is set.

Jongin makes light conversation about the comforting aura of the place, busily flicking through the menu and paying no attention to the people around them. Sehun tries to stay focused, but all he’s really trying to do is locate Kyungsoo.

A few minutes pass and they decide on their order – and that’s when Sehun spots him. The other waiters and waitresses point out their table to the small, delicate male, with familiar charcoal-black hair, pale skin and incredible eyes, and Sehun hides his face as the waiter approaches.

“Good evening. My name is Kyungsoo, and I will be serving you tonight,” Kyungsoo says courteously, stopping beside the table. Both Jongin and Sehun look up and smile politely, and Kyungsoo smiles right back.

Sehun barely comprehends what Kyungsoo is saying. He scrutinises the young man, following his eye movements, searching for a hint of shyness or interest in Jongin. So far, there’s nothing.

Jongin speaks to recite their order, and raises his eyebrows at Sehun once the waiter bows and leaves.

“Why were you staring at him?” Jongin queries. “Do you know him?”

“Huh? No!”

Well, so much for a magical first meeting. Neither of them showed even a smidgen of attraction to one another – this only goes to prove Sehun’s assumptions that Jongin isn’t particularly attracted to Kyungsoo’s “type”. And either Kyungsoo is really, really professional, or he doesn’t fancy Jongin’s “type”, either.

Baekhyun stares from his corner, grimacing in disappointment as he watches Kyungsoo disappear back into the kitchen. He meets eyes with Sehun, and slumps lower in his chair, irritated.

“Do you think he’s cute?”

“I’m not gay,” Sehun blurts defensively, and then, after a second of realisation, “yes. Yes, he’s cute. He’s cute, isn’t he?”

Jongin stares at him, perplexed, replying with a slow “yes” simply because he has no other way of responding to Sehun’s odd behaviour.

He tries to make conversation with Sehun as they wait for their meals, but he soon realises his friend has something else on his mind, as he’s completely unfocused on the topic they’re discussing. Something’s definitely bothering him, because Sehun is normally just as chatty as him, but nothing Jongin says seems to grasp his attention for more than a couple of seconds. He tries to locate what – or who – Sehun’s eyes continue to flicker towards, but every time he turns, all he sees are other customers enjoying their dinner.

Sehun seems particularly on edge when the waiter approaches their table again to deliver them a jug of water. He stares back and forth between Jongin and Kyungsoo, and is finally queried by his friend once the waiter leaves.

“Is there something you’re not telling me?” Jongin asks, snapping his fingers in front of Sehun’s nose to gain his attention.

“What?”

“Why do you keep staring? What’s the matter?”

“Uh…” Sehun wrings his fingers and glances at Baekhyun ever so briefly, before looking back at Jongin. “Mom’s been sick. I’ve just been a little worried.”

“Oh,” Jongin says softly, clearly taken aback by his response. “Is she alright? What’s happened?”

“It’s—just the flu. Really bad flu. Sorry if I’m being rude.”

Well, so much for the “broken arm” plan. At least he has something to back up his unexpected leave when the time comes.

Baekhyun wasn’t lying when he said that Kyungsoo is far too shy to flirt. He seems completely disinterested in Jongin, and acts no politer and more reserved than all the other waiters and waitresses. But what irks Sehun is Jongin’s neutrality towards Kyungsoo – if anything, he seems more interested in Sehun’s appearance than Kyungsoo’s existence.

Kyungsoo stops by once more to deliver the dishes, wishing them to enjoy their meal with a smile and a bow before he hurries back to the kitchen.

The other staff seem unsure of what to do, as the restaurant is packed and they can’t tell him to take a break, so they look helplessly to Baekhyun as Kyungsoo passes them with plates and bowls in his hands, blissfully unaware of what’s going on around him. Similarly, oblivious Jongin chats to Sehun about how tasty the meal is and how it was worth the trek, while his friend boils over with confusion and anxiety. The evening isn’t rolling out as he planned for it to.

He doesn’t intend to appear rude, but when his phone buzzes in his pocket, Sehun can’t resist checking it.

Baekhyun: Has he said anything?
Sehun: No

Sehun taps his foot impatiently and grits his teeth into a smile as Jongin comments on the dessert display and asks if Sehun is planning on trying the cheesecake.

Baekhyun: Just go now
Baekhyun: Wait for Kyungsoo to come close though

The waiter moves in and out of the kitchen at varying rates, and Sehun decides to take action when Kyungsoo begins to clean a nearby table. He’s in clear view of Jongin – it’s now or never.

“Oh, God,” Sehun blurts suddenly, “I just—sorry, my brother just texted me.”

“What is it?”

“It’s mom. She’s in hospital.”

Jongin’s eyes bulge, and he covers his mouth. “What? Is she okay?”

“It’s the flu,” Sehun explains. “Jongin, I’m so sorry, but, I’ve really got to go.” He stands up slowly, feeling terrible about ditching his friend, but he can see Baekhyun staring from the corner of his eyes and he knows he can’t back out now. “Sorry, Jongin—”

“I’ll come with you,” Jongin insists quickly. “I’ll just pay the bill quickly—”

“I’ll—come back,” Sehun stammers quickly, shoving his chair forward and hurriedly moving back. Jongin looks torn, terrified of the prospect of being left alone at the restaurant, and Sehun quickly escapes through the doors before the guilt causes him to do something stupid.

Astounded, Jongin stares after his friend, unable to figure out whether or not he should leave or stay. He glances around him and feels somewhat reassured seeing that nobody is watching him, and slumps down into his chair as he decides on what to do.

There’s no chance Sehun will be coming back, not if he’s heading over to the hospital – but Jongin can’t bring himself to leave a half-eaten meal. He’ll have to pay for both of them, anyway, so he may as well finish what he paid for.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun watches Jongin fiddle and play with his chopsticks awkwardly, pitying the poor guy. Kyungsoo doesn’t seem to have noticed, so he looks to the fellow waiters for assistance.

“Go and point Jongin out to him,” Baekhyun hisses to one of the waitresses nearby.  She throws up her hands in defence, but obeys, and moves over to Kyungsoo to tap him on the shoulder and point towards the lone boy at the table.

Kyungsoo looks on as the waitress explains what happened, and bites his lip unsurely when she backs away and leaves him to simmer over it. Baekhyun watches excitedly, heart pounding as he makes a start towards Jongin, but he’s left disappointed when Kyungsoo steps away and walks back into the kitchen.

He waits impatiently for his friend to reappear, beginning to panic as he monitors Jongin. By the looks of it, he’s preparing to leave – and, sure enough, he stops a nearby waiter to ask for the bill.

“What do I do?” the waiter whispers, once he’s hurried over to Baekhyun. “He wants to leave.”

Baekhyun gets to his feet and nods towards the kitchen. “Get Kyungsoo. I’ll handle this.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course I’m sure.”

Baekhyun lowers his hood and sidles past the other customers to stand between the kitchen and Jongin’s table. He hurries over to Kyungsoo when he exits the kitchen, and grabs his arm enthusiastically.

“Kyungsoo! Thank goodness you’re here,” he gushes, ignoring the look of shock on his friend’s face.

“What—when did you—?”

“Did you see that guy over there?” Baekhyun hisses, jutting his thumb towards Jongin, who looks more restless and awkward than ever. “He just got totally ditched by his date. I feel so bad for him.”

“But—”

“Hey, isn’t this a great opportunity for you to get to know some cute guys?” he insists, pulling Kyungsoo towards Jongin’s table. Kyungsoo resists him and tries to interrupt, but Baekhyun continues talking, making sure his friend doesn’t get a word of protest in.

“He’s pretty good looking, hey? And he’s all alone now.”

“I have to work!” Kyungsoo says, trying to pull away, but Baekhyun spins him around and shoves him forcefully towards the table, sending him stumbling towards the other male. Jongin looks up in surprise, and Baekhyun quickly ducks away to observe from a hidden position.

Kyungsoo stares wide-eyed at the customer, unsure of what to do, his head still spinning as he tries to comprehend how Baekhyun got into the restaurant and witnessed the ordeal while still going unnoticed by him.

“Uh,” he says awkwardly, “is there—anything I can help you with?”

Jongin, ridden with shame, purses his lips and lowers his eyes.

“Just the bill, please,” he says softly, cheeks burning. Requesting it once was hard enough, but again?

“Of course—”

Kyungsoo gasps when two hands seize his shoulders and force him down into the seat across from the customer, and he looks up to see Baekhyun smiling at him cheerfully.

“It’s not very busy tonight!” Baekhyun chirps, “how about you take the night off and keep this young man company, hey, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo stares at his friend in horror, watching him as he hurries away, before looking back to the surprised man and laughing nervously.

“Um…” Kyungsoo fumbles for an excuse to explain Baekhyun’s weird behaviour, but he can’t think of anything. “I don’t—he doesn’t even work here. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Jongin says, forcing himself to smile.

“Would you still like the bill?”

“Yes, please,” Jongin says, unable to hide the desperation in his voice. Kyungsoo grits his teeth into a smile and rises from his seat, storming over to the kitchen with whatever composure he has left. There’s no way Baekhyun’s getting out of this alive.

He realises his co-workers are stealing glances at him as he organises the bill, and frowns at them, suspicious. However, he stays silent, and walks back out with the receipt in his hand.

Once Jongin has paid and left the restaurant, Baekhyun appears behind his friend, disappointed.

“Did you talk to him?”

“Did you think about the reputation of the business before you shoved me down to sit with a customer?” Kyungsoo snaps, elbowing Baekhyun out of the way. He clenches his fists as his friend follows him into the kitchen.

“He was cute,” Baekhyun complains. “You should have—”

“Not when I’m working, Baekhyun!”

“But—”

“Unless you’re planning on getting me a raise, I’m not interested,” Kyungsoo growls, and Baekhyun finally shuts up. The other servers look to him pitifully, and he simply shrugs, backing out to give them space.

Baekhyun: Where are you?
Sehun: Bubble tea shop
Sehun: Next street down
Baekhyun: Buy me one
Baekhyun: I’ll need it
Baekhyun: Be there in 5
Sehun: How did it go?

Baekhyun sighs. Better to tell him face to face.

[] [] []

“He didn’t seem interested at all,” Sehun grumbles dejectedly, swirling the tapioca pearls at the bottom of his cup. “I feel like…I don’t know. I just feel like this is such a waste of time.”

“Why so negative?” Baekhyun says lightly. “Maybe they just need another little push.”

“But Jongin doesn’t go after relationships that need a push,” Sehun argues. “He wants love at first sight – and, hell, that was definitely not love at first sight.”

“Sounds like he needs a little push into reality,” Baekhyun replies, watching as Sehun hard on his straw and collects a mouthful of pearls. Nonetheless, he retains his optimism, and puts his chin in his hand as he thinks.

“Would he ever consider love at second sight?”

Sehun rolls his eyes. “I have no faith in him whatsoever. But if you can come up with a better plan, sure, I’ll give it a try.”

“Okay, deal,” Baekhyun agrees. “Today’s plan was flawed, anyway. Are you sure you’re not gay?”

Sehun almost inhales a pearl and lurches forward to stop himself from choking, coughing it out desperately. Baekhyun watches with nonchalance as the pearl flies across the table and hits his own cup, before rolling onto the ground and lying at his shoes.

“What? Why—what the ?”

“The way you on that straw. It’s distracting.”

Sehun glares, pointing the straw at Baekhyun’s smug face. “You’re lucky I’m a decent friend and I’m pursuing this for Jongin’s sake.”

“Aw, come on. I’m a fun guy to be around.”

“Yeah. Real fun.”

Baekhyun grins, black slivers of tapioca stuck in his teeth, and Sehun can’t help smiling back. Okay, so maybe the first plan failed, but there’s nothing to say the next one won’t be the beginning of a wonderful relationship. And maybe Sehun will benefit from all of this, too – eventually.


 ( a/n ) THIS STORY IS BULL HOW ARE PEOPLE SUBSCRIBING TO THIS......WHAT AM I EVEN DOING........WHAT IS LIFE ????????? I DONT DESERVE ANY OF UR SUPPORT. THANK U GUYS U MAKE ME SO HAPPY AND I HOPE IM MAKIN U HAPPY TOO!!!!! I LOVE YOU. DRAG ME IN THE COMMENTS

word count: 2524