Last Days Of Normality

When The Pack Stays Strong

Probably the worst thing about living with 11 other people is that it's rarely ever quiet. No silence, just noise. Not that Kris minded it since he was one of the oldest in the pack but sometimes he really wanted to bite off some people's (cough cough Chanyeol) heads just so there can be some peace. Sadly that day was not today and he sat up from his queen sized bed and streched his toned arms. 6:34 am. That was what the digital clock read and he internally groaned, fully knowing that university didn't start till 9 so he was confused as to why so many people were talking downstairs. Making his way down the grand staircase, he saw that all the bedrooms were unoccupied. 

"Good luck today Sehunnie!" Baekhyun said cheerfully. When Kris took a step into the kitchen he realized it was the maknae's first day back to school since break. 

"Ya! Do well today. Good luck with try-outs." Yixing said, handing Sehun a plate of waffles and bacon. 

"You say that like if he's not going to do great! He'll probably be co-captain again." Kyungsoo said. 

"Hopefully captain this time." Kris finally said, taking everyone by surprise since no one heard him walk in. "C'mon don't look so grumpy." said Kris, noting Sehun's annoyed expression. They all knew that high school made their maknae get in a bad mood and judging from his face he wasn't pleased with being sent off. 

"Alright Sehunnie, you have 5 mins before you have to leave. Go get your stuff for try-outs." Suho commanded, taking away the half empty plate of food. Sehun stood up and pushed his chair back, making his way out of the kitchen without a word. 

"Talk about grumpy." Jongin threw out once he was gone. 

"Don't be harsh on him Jongin, you're the same way." Chanyeol laughed. 

Moments later, Sehun appeared in the kitchen again. A black and blue duffel bag slung on one shoulder and his white backpack on the other. 

"Ready to go?" Suho asked. 

"Ready as I'll ever be." Sehun answered. 

"Good. Got your schedule?"

"Yep." 

"Practice clothes?" 

"Yes."

"You know where you're classes are?" 

"Hyun-"

"You have money for lunch?"

"Hyung-"

"Are you sure you have every-"

"Suho hyung! I have everything and I'll be okay." Sehun giggled. 

"Okay I was just checking." 

"Suho, just leave the kid alone. He's not a baby." Minseok smiled. 

"Yeah thank you hyung." Sehun went around and slung an arm around the elder. 

"But he's our baby." Suho mumbled. 

"I AM NOT!" Sehun held a hand up to his chest and proceded to walk towards the door. 

"You're forgetting your snacks for practice." 

Sehun abruptly turned around, holding back a laugh, and grabbed the protein bars from Suho's hands. Everyone took a laugh in this because as soo as they saw his face, laughter bursted out of each person in the room, amused with their leader and maknae. 

"Bye guys." Sehun mumbled, leaving the kitchen to walk to the front door. 

"Bye Sehun-ah!" Everyone chorused. 

 

Stupid day from Hell. Those were the words that continuously ran through Sehun's head as he went on throughout the day. First, he was three minutes late to his first class and got a write up. Second, Sehun slid on the floor where some girl spilled her open water bottle. And finally, there was new student at school and he had all the girls chasing after him. Not only that but since it was the end of the day, Sehun  went to the locker rooms to change for his favorite sport and he was there. He shook it off even though there was something up about him and just pulled on his cleats and slammed his locker door closed. 

The fresh Autmn air was calming to Sehun's senses and he plopped down on the sideline bench next to some familiar faces. He was somewhat nervous, knowing the possiblity of being captain was strong this year. Captain of what that is? That would be lacrosse. Yep, the violent sport was Sehun's absolute favorite and was damn good at it. He didn't really know he was good at sports until last year when the lacrosse coach saw him and Tao throwing baseballs to each other on the college field. Supposedly to him, Sehun had an arm and he recommended that Sehun should try out; and he did, becoming co-captian of the team. When he saw the new kid, he remembered the day he came home and told his hyungs he was on the captain and he was a captian. Kris and Suho tackled him to the ground, while everyone were shouted congratulations to him. It was one of his proudest moments, even more so when they would stop whatever they were doing just to see their maknae play. So when he saw the new student at try-outs, he immediately knew that he had to try his utter best. Something was telling him to do so.

"Alright boys, I'm coach Choi and today you're all aiming for a spot on the team." The coach announced suddenly. "I want 200% effort okay? No half- work. I see some recognizable faces and some not-so familar ones. As of right now, I can trust Youngjae and Sehun to lead the team so I want a lap through the campus and when you return, 30 push-ups and 25 jumping jacks. Go!" And just like that everyone stood up and began running with Sehun and last years captian, Youngjae, in the lead. 

 

The thing that amazed Luhan the most was that Jondae and Yixing could fall asleep anywhere and at any time. They both sat in front of him and today during their lecture on advanced calculus, there they were with their heads on the table snoozing away. There was nothing Luhan could do but sit back and listen however now the professor came walking towards their area and Luhan promptly threw a paper to the duo's heads, making them sit straight up with frightened expressions. 

"Hello are you all enjoying the lesson?" Their teacher called to them. 

"Totally. I'm learning alot today sir." Jongdae bullted. 

"Great!" 

"You kiss ." Luhan muttered, watching Jongdae gain a smirk on his face. 

When the class finished, it was already time for lunch so the three of them went to the grassiest part of the campus to find their friends, well pack. Everyone else was there, eating food and talking away but something felt odd to Luhan. It felt like they were being...watched? No that wasn't what was going on but it was close. Something was off.

"Does anything seem...weird to you guys today?" Luhan asked, unwrapping a sub sandwhich.

"You felt it too?" Kris asked. 

"Yeah it's like we're being.."

"Followed? Cuz that's what it seems like to me." Suho cut in. 

"I know what you mean. Today in literature, something kept throwing us off." Baekhyun said, pointing to Tao and Chanyeol. 

"Do you think Sehun's okay?" Kyungsoo, asked in a small voice. 

"Most likely. We'd know if something was wrong." Kris gave Soo a small smile. "Everyone, be on the look out. We don't want another incident like last time." He said lowly. Suddenly Luhan's phone buzzed in his pocket and when he pulled out his phone he saw he had a text from an unknown number. 

Hey, It's me Jackson. Call me when you get a chance. It's important. 

Since he was on lunch he decided to call him now, wondering what Jackson was going to tell him. Luhan excused himself from the pack and went over to an empty bench nearby, dialing Jackson's number. 

"Hello?"

"Hey...uh Jackson? You told me to call you." Luhan's voice was weirdly shaky. 

"Oh! Yeah. Can we meet somewhere later? I'm in Seoul now." Jackson said quietly. 

"Sure. I have work after school till 7 so we can meet there if you want." Luhan offered, noticing the way his pack kept looking at him. 

"Ok yeah that's fine.Where do you work?" 

"There's a cafe across the street from Seoul University named Cafe de Flore. I'll meet you there but I have to go right now." Luhan said. 

"Ahh okay. Bye Lu." 

"Bye Jackson." Luhan hung up and shoved his phoned in his pocket, very well knowing his pack was going to be upset that he was meeting Jackson. He walked back to his group and sat down, reaching into his back to grab his water. 

"What was that about?" Suho asked, giving him a questioning look, as well as everyone else. 

"Nothing." Luhan rushed that out too quickly and mentally slapped himself. 

"It was Jackson I know it. I'm not deaf. What did he want?" Kris said a bit too sharply. 

"He uhhh...wants to meet me later. It's important I guess." Luhan mumbled, not feeling hungry anymore. 

"Well you're not going." Kris and Suho both voiced in unision. 

"What? Why?" Luhan was bewildered. His leaders never really acted like this when it came to Jackson. 

"Because maybe we don't trust the ." Chanyeol spoke, mouth full of chicken. 

"Well too bad because he's meeting me anyway. I wanna know what he meant by 'It's really important'." Luhan shot back, putting his attention on his lunch rather than his pack. 

It remained quiet for the rest of lunch and Luhan couldn't grasp why no one in his pack trusted Jackson since the incident but he wanted them to grow up and forget it. Jackson messed up once and since then has never dared to cross out of line with Kris and Suho. He was what you could call a lone wolf and always travled alone and lived alone. When Luhan went to his pysch class he remembered why no one liked Jackson anymore. You see when lone wolves see other packs they tend to snap and try to viciously fight it out with the other packs leader. It was almost two years ago, right before they found Sehun, when one day Jackson came to visit Luhan, not knowing that his pack almost doubled in size. He saw Luhan and then he saw Suho and then Kris and then 8 other people and then he snapped. He attacked Luhan first and then Suho and Kris; ferociously biting at the three in rage. At first it wasn't that bad until Luhan saw his original leader, bleeding heavily and limped back still in wolf form into the pack. Of course everyone knew that lone wolves did that sometimes but they never forgave Jackson for injuring their leaders. 

It was Minseok's turn to work in the front today with Baekhyun while Luhan, Kyungsoo, and Suho worked in the back, baking pasteries and brewing hot coffee. Everything was going smoothly and there were the perfect amount of customers, not too slow but not too many either. That is until Minseok called Luhan out and he was meet with a familiar face.

"Hi Jackson." 

"Hey Lu. Can we go sit somewhere?" 

"Yeah sure, just hold on." Luhan went to the back and called out to Suho telling him he was having a break. He walked back out and lead Jackson to a small red booth near a window that faced the street. 

"So what did you want to tell me?" Luhan asked, handing Jackson a cup of coffee he picked up from the back. 

"It's a long long story but...there's...a threat to us." Jackson said quietly. 

"What do you mean?" Luhan was confused and worried and he needed answers. 

"Ok so back in China there's been murders of hybrids and it's getting worse. People think that we've each other and started murdering our own kind but things don't match up. At each crime scene there's always someone that watches what the police do and it's pretty sketchy. Point is, a lot of the hybrids in China are saying there's a group going around either killing or capturing wolves." 

"So it's just a rumor?" Luhan asked skeptically. 

"No it's more than that. The people that go and survey the area wear necklaces with a weird symbol on it. It's gotta be a gro-" 

At that moment Kris, Chanyeol, and Tao walked in and eyeballed Jackson as they passed. Luhan gave Kris a worried look and he caught it right away. 

"Group yeah but what you're saying is, that there's a group of people that are killing and kidnapping wolf-hybrids and they're coming here? Like to Korea?" Luhan finished. 

"Yes. We all know what happened almost two years ago. We can't ignore the signs now that we know." Jackson continued. 

"Ok. I'll tell Kris and Suho about this. It's important that much is true but whether or not it's a direct threat we'll have to find out. Anyways it was nice to talk to you Jackson but I have to go back to work. Call me ya?" Luhan gave him a small smile and stood up, tieing his light blue apron around his waist. 

"Yeah okay. Bye Lu." Jackson stood up too, handing over some cash to pay for the coffee but Luhan rejected it, saying it was on the house. 

Luhan went to the back where he was supposed to be and told Suho to call Kris to the back office. 

"What's up Lu?" Kris asked, closing the back door. 

"I need to talk to the both of you. It's urgent." 

 

Sehun despised crying. It showed weakness. It showed fragility. It showed all the things that Sehun tried not to be. But something on the way home made him break down completely out of the blue. It was late, about 8, and he knew his hyungs would be home by now so he wiped his tears but they wouldn't stop. He wasn't sobbing but tears flowed out of his eyes and he felt like his heart was shreaded apart. Then he remembered why. It was his mother's birthday. Sehun remembered getting news she was captured one night and was killed, then he remembered getting forced to leave with his pack for safety. But Sehun was young and not as strong then so his leader did the unthinkable. He him and left him for dead since he was the youngest, the weakest link. It was close to two days after that when Kris, Minseok, and Suho found him half dead in the woods. Sehun hated talking about it, he hated feeling so worthless about it. But now he had his pack it made things better. 

He passed a crosswalk and a tall glowing street light and felt uneasy. As he wiped the last of his tears, Sehun felt like he was being followed. There was no one around and he couldn't smell any other hybrid yet the presence was there. It grew closer and closer until finally he stopped and turned back, looking at the empty street and the nice houses next to him. Nothing. It freaked him out more than it should but something was nagging at him to get the hell out of there. So he did. Sehun took a deep breath and ran home, not caring if he may or may not have dropped his backpack on the way there. 

 

Rather than discussing the matter in the back office like planned, Luhan, Kris, and Suho were now in the library of their estate. The only reason they were here was because Baekhyun and his clumsiness started a dish towel on fire and it set off the nearby fire alarm, making them forget about the topic completely 

"So what did you want to talk about?" Kris said, taking a seat behind the large desk near the windows. 

"Jackson said...that we have a threat. Like the one two years ago." 

"...What?" Suho breathed out. 

"Yeah. In China, hybrids are being kidnapped or murdered. It's rumored to be a group or something like that." 

"Are you being serious?" Kris asked. 

"Yes!" 

"You're not lying?" 

"No! I'm not lying. That's exactly what he told me! Please just take into consideration that this could be true, he was scared less." Luhan shouted at his leaders. It was silent for a few moments until Kris sighed and ran a hand through his dark blonde hair. 

"Fine but I want to speak with him myself. We have to let the rest to lay low for now since this does pose a threat to us." He said, standing up from the large desk in the library of their (technically Minseok's) home. "Do have anything to say Suho?" 

"No not really but when we tell pack, try not to scare Sehun he's still young." He mumbled, stading up to exit the room along with Luhan and Kris. 

They walked through the hallway and into the living room, watching how Jongin and Tao played Mario Kart. Kyungsoo had dinner plates being set up while Yixing made the last of the food. The two gamers in the living room drew a crowd as their game got more intense. Between insults and shoving one another, Tao was winning but then Jongin swept in and would be in 1st place then the damned process would start again. Just as Jongin was creeping up on Tao, a feeling of dread hit every single person in the room with full force. Tao paused the game and looked at the others as confusion was written each individuals faces. 

"Guys? Do you feel that?" Jongdae asked, slowly stepping towards the front hallway of the home by the door. 

"Is something wrong?" Minseok asked, following Jondae as well as the others. 

"Stay back." Kris said, his tone was fierce and it terrified all the others but Suho. 

"Where's Sehun?" Suho asked, looking around for the maknae's face but he wasn't there. 

"Oh God." Chanyeol whispered. They all stood in the small corridor, dread and worry coming to them all worse the stronger the stood there. It was a pack thing to know when someone else is hurt or in danger, and they all knew it was little Sehun that was in trouble. Moments ticked by in silence until Kris and Suho both instinctively put up their arms as if to protect the ones behind them . 

"Guys, is he okay?" Yixing asked quietly and they all knew he was referring to Sehun. 

No one said anything but they kept their focus on the large front door. It got worse, almost to the point where it made everyone want to go look for the youngest wolf. Then, in a matter of seconds, wham! The front door swung open and then slammed shut, revealing an out of breath Sehun. He was leaning against the door but he knees gave way and he crumpled to the floor, breathing heavily. 

"Sehun! What's wrong?!" Suho kneeled next to him, grasping his face to check for damage. 

"Some-some one....was...following me. It freaked me out." Sehun gasped in between words. 

"Get him upstairs. Lock all the doors and windows. I want Suho, Chanyeol, Jongin, and Minseok to stay on guard tonight." Kris ordered. 

That's how they spent their night, protecting their home and protecting their pack. Sehun dozed off in his room with the help of Yixing, having to spike his drink to make him sleep since he was too freaked out. Tao ended up staying guard with the rest while the others rested since he was a fighter. It would turn out to be one of their last days of normality in their home.