The Moon

Before Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: The Moon

 

When growing up in Hoon Street, my mother told me my only goal is: To serve the Kang Family. I grow up normally, and was loyal to the Kang Family, even though I was asked by other families to join them, but I refused. The Kang Family are known to be the richest family in Hoon Street, and they’re also very generous to people, even my parents think highly of them, and they served them until they become old, and sickly. While growing up, I didn’t have much friends, but I was close to Mr. Kang’s sons: Kwangwook, and Chanyeol. They were the only friends I had ever since. But recently, Kwangwook married a lady from The Park Family, her name is Bom. Her family isn't wealthy but her mother was one of the famous poet writer that Mr. Kang admired, and he decided to wed Kwangwok and Bom together. The lady is full of grace, patient and is wisdow, although I'm just a servant in the family. She treat me and the other servants like family.

 

Today, Mr. Kang told me I had to help his friend, Mrs. Seon as she was hosting a party for her son’s birthday party. Like always, I wasn’t allowed to be in the party but I talked to a few of Mrs. Seon’s servants, and they’re nice to me, and giving food, making sure I ate all.

 

After the party, Mrs. Seon told me she wants to send me home but I insisted I go home alone as I will be a burden to her, and the servants. She respected my decision and told me to be careful as it was almost midnight. Unfamiliar about the area, I came across a different street; Seong. It was red, everywhere was red. My heart was throbbing, because it was the Red-Light district. I went here without realizing, but at the same time, I was excited too. It was the first time; I have been here. I see all kind of women with a man by their side, and even the same gender. While walking along the busy streets of Seong, I turned to the right, and saw… a man… A gentleman of the night: Luhan.

 

He had a beautiful black hair, his eyes were like crystal clear, wore a beautiful kimono, although it’s covering his body, you can see how milky his skin is, and his chest was revealing how skinny he is… ‘he is quite skinny for a courtesan.’ I thought.

“How long are you going to stare at me?” He asked me.

I blinked my eyes, and shaking my head a bit, “I’m sorry.”

“I… was quite fantasied by your beauty.”

He let out a smirk, “What?”

I then realized what I just said, and close my mouth, feeling embarrassed for not thinking twice.

“No, don’t be sorry. It’s nice to see some people are honest.” He smiled softly.

“Are you here as a client?” He asked me.

“Sorry, no… I’m working…” I replied.

“Ah… I see. How about seeing me when you are not working anymore?”

“As a client, of course.” He added.

“I… will try.” I gulped.

He waved me goodbye, as I left the area.

XX

“Dara?” Bom called her, but there was no responded from her, she turned to look at Dara; who seems to be daydreaming.

Bom smiled softly, and flicked her forehead softly; waking the young lady to wake up, Dara blink her eyes couple of times and looked at her.

“Lady Bom, why did you do that?” Dara asked, as she gently rubbed her forehead.

She chuckled, "You're daydreaming, Dara."

"Did... I?" 

She nodded with a smile, thinking how lovable clueless Dara was.

"I was calling you from my room, but you didn't respond to me. So I came here."

Dara finished washing the clothes, and was going to hang it, and didn't realized she was daydreaming.

"I'm sorry, Lady Bom. What can I do?"

"No, it's fine. I done it already."

Dara looked down, and apologied, and went back doing her work. Then, she noticed Bom was still behind her, and she turned and looked at Bom who had a smiling face.

"Lady Bom, why are you still here?" She asked.

"Well Dara, it's rather quite unusual for you to daydream."

"And we both know when you do that, you are either thinking hard or in love."

Dara blushed at her Lady's words, and quickly deny it.

"It's silly! I-I'm not!"

"Dara. I know you more than yourself."

Bom pat the seat next to her, Dara stopped working, and sat next to her. All she think of if it's right to tell Lady Bom about this? Is it okay? 

"Is something in your mind?"

"I.. I met a man."

Bom looked at her, "Isn't that good?"

"Yes, but.." Dara rubbed her hands together, feeling nervous to tell her Lady.

Bom placed her hand on top of hers, and giving her a smile, "It's alright, take a deep breathe."

She followed what she said, taking a deep breath in and out.

"I met a man but.. he's a courtesan..."

"A courtesan?!" Bom raised her voice.

"Dara, please tell me you're not being serious?"

"I'm very serious." She said, looking down.

"How long have you been meeting this man?" Bom asked.

"A.. About three weeks now."

"Dara.. That is long, did you plan to meet him even longer before you told me this?"

"His name?"

"L.. Luhan."

Bom sighed, "They're man of pleasure. They do not care about your feelings." she added, disagreeing her servant's choice.

She looked at her, who looked down, even without seeing her face clearly, she knew she was going to cry.

"As a friend, I only can advise you to throw away that dream of yours before you get hurt." She added.

Leaving her servant alone, Dara started crying, she knew it was right, but each time she sees Luhan's face, her heart felt really light, and bright. It was a safe zone she couldn't leave.

 

XX

 

“Welcome, Dara!” The manager, Leewon greeted her with a smile.

She returned a smile back, “Thank you...”

“Please wait for a while.”

“I am happy you came back.”

She looked up and saw Luhan gave her a small smile, he walked towards her and hug her.

“I was waiting for you; do you know that?” Luhan told her, and putting his arm around her as he leads her upstairs.

“Before you came, there w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter