A Day Out

The Apprentice

Baekhyun woke up to the sound of pots and pans clanging in the kitchen. 
"What the heck? What time is it?" Baekhyun asked himself. He checked the clock on the wall. 
9:30
"It's so early!" He thought. He sat up and rubbed his eyes as he could hardly open them because the room was so bright. 
"Ah, Baekhyun! You're awake!" Chanyeol exclaimed as he walked out of the kitchen with an apron round his waist and a spatula in his hand. He couldn't help.  But stare for a moment as Baekhyun's hair was adorably messy and his delicate, slender legs were peeking out from underneath the blankets. 
"I know it might seem early, but we've got a long day of shopping ahead of us so we'd best get leaving sooner rather than later, don't you think?" Chanyeol asked, after he had realised how long he had been staring at the smaller for. 
"Yeah." Baekhyun practically yawned. 
"Oh, and by the way, I washed your uniform. It's been drying on the heater for like the past hour so I think it should be dry enough by now. I didn't want to put it in the tumble dryer because I was afraid the noise might have woken you up." Chanyeol said. Baekhyun looked at him with a thankful expression and got up and walked over to the heater to retrieve his clothing. 
"So, what are you making?" Baekhyun asked while walking to the heater. 
"Eggs and bacon. Oh, and if you want some sausages I can cook some for you." Chanyeol said, gesturing towards the refrigerator. 
"It's okay Chanyeol-ssi. I like eggs and bacon, and I don't want you to spend your time cooking more things for me."
"That's very nice of you Baekhyun. You are a very respectful and polite young man, you know that?" Chanyeol said to him. 
"O-oh, thank you Chanyeol-ssi. That's very nice of you to say."
"My pleasure."
"PING"
"Oh! That'll be the bacon! I cooked it under the grill because the sizzling may have woken you up. It also means it'll be extra crispy! Or at least I hope it will!" Chanyeol said, laughing. 
Baekhyun needed to go to the bathroom to get changed into his clothes, so he called to Chanyeol and told him he needed to get changed. 
"That's okay, Baekhyun!" Chanyeol called, "I still need to cook the eggs yet!"
"Okay!" Baekhyun practically shouted down the corridor. The two started giggling, which then turned into fits of laughter coming from the younger. 
Baekhyun quickly ran into the bathroom, trying his best to catch his breath and regain his composure before changing into his clothes and going into the living room to put Chanyeol's neatly folded night shirt onto the couch, folding the blankets while doing so. 
"Puppy Boy! Breakfast!" Chanyeol shouted, not realising that Baekhyun was already changed and was now stood at the kitchen door. 
"Thanks Chanyeol-ssi." Baekhyun said calmly, however startling the giant who was under the impression that he was still in the bathroom. 
"Oh my god, Baekhyun! You terrified me!" Chanyeol exclaimed, hand clutched to his chest. 
"Sorry, Chanyeol-ssi." Baekhyun said with a sympathetic and apologetic look. 
"It's okay. Anyway, let's go eat, shall we?"
Chanyeol led Baekhyun to his dining room, carrying both plates in both hands, and having to push down on the door handle with his elbow. He set both plates down on his massive glass dining table and gestured for Baekhyun to sit down in front of him. They ate their breakfast virtually in silence as they wanted to eat fast so they could get to the shopping centre in time because the needed to catch a train. 
When they had finished their breakfast, Chanyeol grabbed his coat and scarf, and Baekhyun picked up his leather bag, and the boys left for the train station. 

Once they were on the train, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Put their things down and Chanyeol bought coffees for both of them, as the train journey was to last around an hour. 
"So, why did you move to America?" Chanyeol suddenly asked the younger. 
Baekhyun looked taken back by the sudden question but answered Chanyeol with a simple, "My father got a job in LA so my mother, brother and I had to move with him."
"Okay, so why did you come back to Korea? I mean, if I lived in LA, I'm sure I would love it!" Chanyeol asked, trying to make conversation with the younger. 
"The boys at my school used to bully me for being 'too nerdy' and my brother got arrested for shoplifting. My mother then had to use all the money she had to bail my brother out as she had no job, so I was only living off my fathers wages. The boys at school then bullied me more after they found out my brother was a criminal so when I turned 18, I found myself a part time job as a receptionist, waited until I earned just enough money, then got on the next flight to Korea and now I'm practically broke. Hence why I asked you if I could stay at your place." Baekhyun said, softly. 
"Oh my god. I'm so sorry..." Chanyeol trailed off at the end when he saw that the younger's eyes were filling with tears. 
"How can he be so quirky and cheerful after all that?" Chanyeol asked himself. 
He noticed Baekhyun was crying, so offered him a tissue, which he accepted with a thankful smile. Chanyeol now realised that Baekhyun must be very sensitive so, without thinking, wrapped.  His arms around he smaller and pulled him into a tight hug. Baekhyun was very surprised at this sudden act of kindness, but eventually leaned into the hug and buried his face in Chanyeol's shoulder. 
The two stayed like this for a while but had to pull away when the train had stopped at their destination. 
As the two were walking towards the shopping centre, Baekhyun suddenly said, "Chanyeol-ssi, may I ask you something?"
"Sure, kid. Go ahead." Chanyeol responded. 
"I was just wondering, you see, you seem very strict and loud when you're in the office, but when you were at home, and before on the train, you were very kind and caring. Why?" Baekhyun asked innocently and out of curiosity. 
Chanyeol was quite shocked at this question. He wasn't quite sure how to respond. Well, he actually didn't know the answer to the question. 
"Why am I different? What is it that makes me want to take care of this kid? He should be scared of me, right? Why doesn't it bother me that he's not? What's wrong with me?" All these questions were going round and round inside Chanyeol's head and the only answer he could think of was,
"I guess it's because you're cute, Puppy Boy."
"Oh! Really?! Thank you Chanyeol-ssi. That's very nice of you to say. I don't usually get many complements from people." Baekhyun stuttered. He had now become very timid, for some strange reason. 
"It's true though. Loads of the people in the office are complete s. Take Sehun, for instance. He is so sarcastic to everyone, it's so freaking annoying! And not to mention Luhan. He thinks everyone is in love with him!"
"I would say that's pretty true, but I don't know anyone well enough yet to agree with you one hundred percent". The two chuckled. 
Once Chanyeol and Baekhyun had reached the clothes store, Chanyeol led Baekhyun in and picked out a wide variety of outfits for him, then took him to the changing rooms and waited outside while Baekhyun tried on the clothes and went to fetch bigger or smaller sizes depending on whether Baekhyun said they fit or not. 
After around an hour and a half of trying on clothes, Baekhyun had found the items that fit and the two went to the cash register for Chanyeol to buy everything. Chanyeol was quite out of breath because o dashing around the store trying too find the right sizes for the younger. 
When the two left the store, Baekhyun pointed shyly to the nearest Starbucks and Chanyeol happily ran over with him and they bought two caramel cream frappucinos and a big chocolate muffin to share between them. They sat down at the only free two-seater table. 
"Baekhyun?'
"Yes, Chanyeol-ssi."
"You know you don't have to keep calling me Chanyeol-ssi outside of work, right"
"Really? What should I call you then? Hyung?"
"Call me Yeol. Chanyeol-ssi sounds too formal and I think we kind of know eachother well enough now to use nicknames, don't you think?"
"Oh, erm, yes. Y-Yeol."
"Thanks. And is it okay if call you Baek? Puppy Boy seems a bit too long, right?"
"Y-Yes, that's fine... Y-Yeol."
"Great! So, Baek. Where do you want to go next?"
"Erm... Is it okay if we go back to your place? I mean, if I'm not too much of a burden to you, that is."
"Really? It's okay, I don't mind that much. I usually spend all of my time there on a weekend anyway."
"Okay! So should we get going now or..." Baekhyun trailed off as he didn't want to sound too desperate. Truth be told, Baekhyun actually didn't really like busy areas,  but he didn't want to tell Chanyeol that as the giant seemed insistent on buying him clothes. 
"Yes! Let's go then, shall we?"
The two left the cafe and spend the train ride home talking about random things and laughing.