Can I Stay?

The Apprentice

Baekhyun walked out of the massive building to find Chanyeol sat on an old wooden bench with his head hanging low. "E-Excuse me, detective Chanyeol-ssi? Is something wrong?" Baekhyun asked quietly so as not to anger the giant as Suho had advised him. Chanyeol still didn't answer and this was when Baekhyun noticed a multicoloured beam of ight hitting Chanyeol's face. He was on his phone. On Candy Crush. FREAKING CANDY CRUSH!!! Baekhyun stood still for a few more minutes, waiting for Chanyeol to finish the level he was on before standing in front of the giant, casting a small shadow over him. 

"What do you want." Chanyeol said in a deep, monotone voice. 
"Well, I've been told I need to work with you and observe what you do and learn from it. Is there something wrong with that?" Baekhyun said, again with a quiet and soft voice as he didn't want to anger the giant. Chanyeol was too tired and lazy to object so he just gave Baekhyun a death glare which then turned into some sort of staring contest between the two. 
"Has anyone ever told you you look like a puppy?" Chanyeol blurted out without thinking. It was only when Baekhyun answered with "Yes, actually. All the time." , that Chanyeol realised what he dust said. 
"Oh my god I didn't mean to say that!" Chanyeol exclaimed with his head in his hands. 
"Oh, don't worry detective Chanyeol-ssi-"
"Chanyeol. Just Chanyeol."
"-oh-okay then. Just Chanyeol. Don't worry, I get that all the time. I'm kinda used to it to be honest."
"Oh okay then. Good. I thought I'd offended you." Chanyeol said softly with a sympathetic smile. For some reason, Chanyeol felt inclined to protect and be kind to the younger, for a reason he hadn't quite put his finger on yet. 
It was only at this moment when Chanyeol realised that all this time he had been staring deeply into the younger's eyes. He now felt unbelievably awkward so turned his head away so fast he could have sworn his neck nearly snapped. Which just ended up making the situation more awkward. 
"Chanyeol, can I ask you something?" Baekhyun asked softly. 
"Sure." Chanyeol said as casually as possible, trying his best not to think about the fact that he was just gazing deeply into his co-worker's eyes. 
"Ummmm... If you don't mind me asking, where about do you live?"
Chanyeol looked a little taken back by this sudden question but just answered with "Just around the corner, why?"
Baekhyun quickly looked down at the ground and it seemed as if he was contemplating what to say. 
"Well, you see, I've been attending school in America for the past five years and I only came back to Korea last week and I was kind of wondering... How should I say this? I was wondering if I could stay at your place until I find myself a place to stay. I mean... If that's okay with you."
Chanyeol looked extremely surprised at this. He thought to himself, 'How can a beautiful being like this not have a place to stay"- WAIT WHAT?! Did Chanyeol just seriously call Baekhyun beautiful?!?!
Deciding to try and forget he even thought that, Chanyeol just said "Sure. If you don't mind sleeping on the couch,"
"Oh my god, really?!?! Thank you so much!!" Baekhyun shouted in joy and wrapped his small, delicate arms around the giant. 
"Woah woah, okay there Puppy Boy! I didn't say how long you could stay for!" Chanyeol managed to exclaim between laughs and giggles as Baekhyun looked so happy. Chanyeol realised then, something was changing inside of him. He was being kind, he was laughing, he was happy. And not the kind of happy you are when you have everything you want and when people cater to your every need. But the kind of happy you are when you make a friend. A true friend. When you have someone to laugh and smile with. Chanyeol wasn't used to this new feeling, but decided he kind of liked it and would try to roll with it. 
"Oh, would you look at the time! It's getting late Baekhyun. We'd better get going to my place."
"Okay Chanyeol! Gamsahabnida!"
Chanyeol was still chuckling at the Puppy Boy's excitement and happiness. 

And for the first time in Baekhyun's life, he felt like he'd made a friend. 


A real one.