Track 5 ♪

The Break Up Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italics indicate the past, or put’s emphasis on certain words/phrases. Orange italics indicate song lyrics

 

Taeyeon: There’s nothing more awkward, more nerve wracking than being in the same room as your Ex. My Ex whom I haven’t seen since that day. It was like our first meeting all over again. We sat next to each other in silence. SooJung and Tiffany went out to buy some food and more alcohol to celebrate SooJung’s birthday.

 

She came like a blur. Time had stopped once she was in the doorway.

 

“UNNIE!” SooJung ran towards Sooyeon and engulfed the girl into her embrace. “You’re here!” SooJung sobbed.

 

“ Aigoo~” There she was. Sooyeon. “My baby is such a cry baby.” Sooyeon SooJung’s back as she embraced the younger Jung.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?” SooJung pulled away and pouted.

 

“It’s called a surprise for a reason SooJung-ah~” She giggled—her melodious giggle. I thought I’d never hear it again. I felt my heart crumble as I stood there motionless and watched the sisters. It felt like time traveling. I was reliving similar feelings, similar moments from the past.

 

“What about me? Don’t I get a hug?” Tiffany pouted.

 

“Aigoo, my other baby.” Sooyeon giggled.

 

She used to call me that. Baby~

 

It stung to hear her say it to someone that’s not me. Was she and Tiffany a thing?

 

“Comere.” She beckoned Tiffany to come to her. The younger girl walked towards Sooyeon and embraced her. “You should’ve at least told me!”

 

“Again, it’s called a surprise for a reason.” Sooyeon giggled.

 

It was definitely a surprise for Sooyeon and me once I looked up and our eyes met.

 

“Tae--” She stopped mid sentence.

 

“Ah, Jessi. This is Taeyeon.” Tiffany introduced us even though we both know each other. She didn’t know that of course…unless she does. I mean if they’re together they would tell each other right? But Tiffany never mentioned having a girlfriend...“Taeyeon this is my best friend. Jessica, but I like to call her Jessi. Only I can call her that too.”

 

“Jealous much Tiff?” Sooyeon teased Tiffany.

 

“I’m only claiming my rights. I created that nickname so only I can use it.” Tiffany huffed.

 

So they’re not dating? I felt relieved for some reason.

 

Your voice
The moment you called me,
The voice I had forgotten
Shakes me up again

 

“Apologies for JealousPpani.” Sooyeon says to me with a smile. “Annyeonghaseyo, Jessica Jung imnida.” Just like our first meeting, she was the first to ‘introduce’ herself. “It’s nice to meet you. Taeyeon-ssi.” Sooyeon smiled as she extended her hand.

 

So this is what it’s come to. Strangers. We’re strangers.

 

I forced a smile and bowed my head. “Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Taeyeon imnida.” Unlike the first meeting, I avoided her gaze.

 

“OMG!” Tiffany gasped. “We have to buy food now that Jessi is here. We can’t just have cake.”

 

“We also need more alcohol.” SooJung says. “I ran out. The girls and I finished it last time they came over.”

 

Sooyeon laughed. “We don’t--”

 

“No! We’re getting food.” Tiffany said definitively.

 

“Yeah, Tiffany Unnie and I will go out and we’ll be back.” SooJung says and with nothing more to say, she grabbed Tiffany and they left.

 

That’s how we came to this situation—next to each other in silence like the first meeting.

 

It takes me back
To the days we were in love,
To when we broke up

 

However, unlike the first meeting, nervousness was the least of my worries. All I could think about was that day.

 

“Sooyeon…” I caught her locked In between a desk and that woman whose arms were wrapped around her waist their lips just a centimeter away from a kiss.

 

“Taeyeon.” She uttered. Sooyeon was locked in a very intimate position, and what’s more was the way she called my name.

 

It wasn’t Taengoo~, but Taeyeon—like some stranger to her.

 

You said I wasn’t the one, that it was all over as you cruelly left me…

 

“I don’t love you anymore. It’s over.” Sooyeon says with no remorse. She left just like that without looking back taking that woman with her.
 

Then I coincidentally met you

When you asked me how I was doing
I didn’t feel anything, it was strange


 

“It’s been a long time…” Sooyeon spoke first. “How are you?”

 

“…”

 

“I heard you made a comeback.” She says. “Congratulations. You’ve achieved your dream.” I looked up and saw her smile sincerely.

 

What is my dream though?

 

I nodded my head in response. I couldn’t speak. There was so much I wanted to say. There was so much running through my mind, but nothing. I couldn’t. All I could think of was why? What did I do wrong? Why did she not love me anymore? Why that woman? Was I not enough for her?

 

Questions of why filled my mind until I murmured softly, “Why?” as I looked down avoiding her gaze.

 

I heard her sigh softly before responding and looked up at her soft eyes. It was like she was trying to tell me something, but I couldn’t quite decipher it. She’s gotten quite good at masking her feelings. I was able to tell what was on her mind in the past. That was the past. Now, I’m not so sure anymore.

 

“Tae--”

 

“We’re back!” We heard Tiffany’s voice from the doorway and broke eye contact.

 

SooJung came in with take out in her hands while Tiffany had a bottle of soju. I guess red wine was out of the picture.

 

“I brought your favorite Unnie!” SooJung says while looking at Sooyeon. “Teokbokki, jajangmyun, and kimbap with no cucumbers. I figured you’ve been away for so long you’d miss Korean food.” SooJung places the teokbokki and the kimbap in the middle and distributes a bowl of jajangmyun and chopsticks to each of us.

 

“I do whenever I can’t cook for myself on my busiest days.” Sooyeon responded.

 

Sooyeon cooks? Since when?

 

“Ah, right!” SooJung says. “I forgot. You cooked for me when I visited you.”

 

“You’ll have to try my cooking now and tell me if it tastes like Omma’s cooking.” Sooyeon smiled. Omma. It’s been a while since I visited her and Appa.

 

“Did I hear right? You cook now?” Tiffany asked in disbelief. Sooyeon wasn’t actually good in the kitchen—that was the past.

 

“Yeah, you could say I’ve become more domesticated over the years—at least that’s what Sunny says.” Sunny? Could that be her girlfriend? But what happened to that woman?

 

“Sunny?” Tiffany asked. “New girlfriend? What happened to Minyoung Unnie?”

 

“No,” Sooyeon laughs. I felt another rush of relief after hearing her response.

 

“Sunny Unnie is Unnie’s best friend from NYU. She’s also her business partner.” SooJung clarifies.

 

“Best friend? Have I been replaced?!?” Tiffany pouts.

 

“More liked pushed to the side.” Sooyeon playfully jokes.

 

“Yah!” Tiffany slapped Sooyeon on the arm.

 

“I was joking. Come on Tiff.” Sooyeon laughs. “A person can have multiple best friend

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter