Track 4♪

The Break Up Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In this chapter I will be switching from the past to the present vice versa. So I hope you don't get too confused and that the flow is ok. If you do, you can always ask for clarification with a comment below :)

 

10 years ago….

 

Taeyeon: This can't be happening. She's here. She's sitting literally a seat away from me. I tried my best not to look or make it obvious that I was looking in her direction. But I couldn't help myself. It was silent between us. We didn't speak a word. The only sound that could be heard was a pair of hands typing away at the keyboard which belonged to the receptionist in the room.

 

The silence was deafening, I thought hard about what to say to start up a conversation, but no words came to me. I was too nervous to even think straight. How about Hello? That's always good right? Just as I was about to speak, a door swung open and a deep voice was heard. It got both of our attention and we looked to the source. It was Kim Jo Han Seonsaengnim. He had just finished a session with a student and was seeing them off as he usually does with his students.

 

"See you next session," Seonsaengnim waved to the student. Upon saying goodbye, he turned and saw us. He smiled as he made his way towards us. "Girls, I'm glad you could make it on such short notice." He says with a big smile.

 

We both nodded our heads in response.

 

"Why don't we go move to the practice room and we can talk more about why I called you two here." He says. We both stood up from our seats and I waited for her to go first before trailing behind her.

 

Once inside the room, Seonsaengnim had us both take a seat in the chairs he provided for us before he spoke.

 

"So the reason why I called you two today was because some of my colleagues have put together a small charity luncheon to raise money for music programs to be implemented in the local schools. We've all agreed to have our best student represent us. Upon deciding who I would pick  among the students I teach, an idea came to me. I thought why pick one when I can have you both sing a duet. Yes you heard right. You two are my best students."

 

None of us spoke. Seonsaengnim laughed. His laughter cut through the awkward atmosphere. I suspect he could tell there was an awkwardness between us two.


 

"Where is my common sense today?" He chuckled. "First things first. How about introductions?" Seonsaengnim looked at me gesturing for me to speak first. I nodded.

 

Just as I was about to speak first she beat me to it, "Annyeonghaseyo, Jessica Jung imnida." She looked at me for a brief moment before bowing her head.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Taeyeon imnida." I made sure to make eye contact before bowing my head.

 

"Right, now that we've gotten the formal introductions done, let's talk about the duet you two will be singing together," Seonsaengnim says. "So you two will be singing two songs. The first one will be The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston. Sica will sing first then Taeyeon you will come in second."

 

 

♪Listen to the song here: The Greatest Love of All ♪

 

Jessica / Taeyeon / Taengsic

 

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

 

Everybody's searching for a hero

People need someone to look up to

I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs

A lonely place to be

And so I learned to depend on me

 

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows

If I fail, if I succeed

At least I'll live as I believe

No matter what they take from me

They can't take away my dignity

Because the greatest love of all

Is happening to me

I found the greatest love of all

Inside of me ~

~*~

 

Oct. 24, You Hee yeol's Sketchbook

 

I finished with the final note and bowed my head to the crowd.

 

"Waahh, as expected Taeyeon everyone!" You Hee yeol Sunbaenim came from the left end of the stage with staff trailing behind him. The staff brought out two chairs center stage for the both of us. For Today's schedule I was scheduled to guest on You Hee yeol Sunbaenim's sketchbook show to promote for the album.

 

We took our seats and Sunbaenim looks to the crowd, "Let's have another round of applause for Taeyeon-ssi," He says and everyone in the crowd claps in response.

 

"I love you Taeyeon Noona!" A fan called out. I laughed nervously. Despite being in the business for  6 years now, I'm still not used to this amount of attention and praise from the fans. Sometimes it's hard to believe that my dreams have come true. My dreams of becoming a singer has finally been met.

 

"Ah, Kamsahamnida." I bow my head blushing at the fan's outburst. The fans seemed to notice I was becoming more shy because they started cheering my name. It made me even more shy.



 

"Wow, the power of Taeyeon. You've got a large fan base, do you know that?" Sunbaenim comments.

 

"I'm not sure how large my fanbase is. I don't have a number figure to give; I'm just very thankful to even have a fan base. It's still seems unreal to me. If you told me when I was in middle school that I would become a singer I probably wouldn't believe it." I say nervously.

 

"Still? Even after 6 years of being in the business? You debuted in 2009 right?"

 

"Yes I debuted in 2009. Even after 6 years It still feels unreal to me. 6 years ago It was just a dream."

 

"Well it's definitely not just a dream anymore, but a reality. Your singing ability is amazing. You're currently dubbed as the OST Queen with your OST Tracks hitting number one when they're released, not to mention you've topped the charts with this mini album." You Hee yeol Sunbaenim shows my album to the crowd. "I'm sure your CEO is very proud."

 

"Ah, I suppose he is." I laughed. "But my talent alone isn't the reason for the success I've reached. I wouldn't be where I am today without the support of my fans." I say as I bowed my head. There was another round of applause. I wasn't saying this just to look good. I genuinely think my success is because of the wonderful support my fans give me.

 

"Yes, I agree with you on that. Since we're talking about fans, I've heard your fans are from a diverse age group. Not just youngsters, but also adults and elders. What do you think about that?" He asked.

 

"It's very heartwarming to have fans from all age groups. A lot of my older fans  tend to be those who've listened to my OST tracks. It surprises me sometimes when my older fans come up to me and say they enjoyed a certain OST Track from a drama,because I don't play a role in the drama or film yet they know it's me who is singing."

 

"That's the power of music. Don't think your role isn't important. You have great importance, because every time your track comes on they are reminded of scenes from the drama and are able to relive those scenes with just your voice. " Sunbaenim comments.

 

I nodded my head. I never really thought about it that way.

 

"Let's talk about the song you just sang, The Greatest Love of All. That's a Whitney Houston song what was the reason for choosing to sing this song?"

 

"This song is a special song for me. It was a song I sang in the past before I became a singer. I was a regular student at my local music shop back home. My vocal teacher had me and another student sing this song as a duet."

 

"Ah, do you still speak to the other student? Is she perhaps in the business as well?"

 

“From what I know, She isn’t  in the music business, and unfortunately we didn’t keep in contact.”

 

"Ah, I see. So let's talk about the album." You Hee yeol Sunbaenim changes the topic. Sunbaenim ask the usual questions, questions I've answered on other radio shows and tv guestings and that went on for about another 10 minutes.

 

"So I hear you will be singing 2 songs two close the evening will you please introduce the songs?" Sunbaenim asked.

 

"Dae, I'll be singing my title track 'I' it's a medium tempo song, with a balance of electric guitar sounds and strong drum rhythm. It's a song that Verbal Jint Oppa featured on. As for the second song, I will be singing If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys. This is another song that's very close to my heart."

 

"Alright everyone let's have around of applause for Taeyeon as she sings I and  If I Ain't Got You." Sunbaenim says as he walks to the left end of the stage. The chairs that we sat on were taken away and I stood center stage waiting for the music to play.

 

~*~

 

"Wow!" We cheered after finishing the first song.

 

"I was a bit worried, but I think you've improved." Kim Jo Han Seonsaengnim says.

 

♪Listen to the song here: If I Ain't Got You ♪

 

"Really?" Jessica asks surprised by the compliment.

 

"Wow!" Jessica and I cheered satisfied with our work.

 

"This time let's Harmonize."  Kim Jo Han Seonsaengnim suggests.

 

Jessica / Taeyeon / Taengsic

 

Some people think that the physical things

Define what's within

And I've been there before

But that life's a bore

So full of the superficial

 

Some people want it all

But I don't want nothing at all

If it ain't you, baby

If I ain't got you, baby

Some people want diamond rings

Some just want everything

But everything means nothing

If I ain't got you, yeah~

 

"Wow, Good. Amazing!"  Kim Jo Han Seonsaengnim says as we ended the song.

 

~*~

 

If I ain't got you with me, baby ~

 

I ended the song and felt a tear threatening to spill but did my best to hold it in until the lights went out for a moment. I quickly wiped the tear and smiled when the lights lit up the stage and You Hee yeol Sunbaenim came out and joined me center stage.

 

"Everyone please give Taeyeon another hand." You Hee yeol Sunbaenim says as he claps with the crowd.  I bowed before taking off stage.

 

"Wah!!! Kim Taeyeon!" I heard cheers as I entered my waiting room. I laughed when I saw Yuri sitting on the couch; she continued to act like a crazed fan. "Taeyeon Unnie ~ Saranghaeyo!" She says forming a heart with her whole body.

 

"Ok, enough dork." I laughed at her playful antics. "So to what do I owe the honor of having Kwon Yuri in my waiting room?" I asked as I joined her on the couch.

 

"I just thought I'd come by and support my friend since I wasn't able to during her comeback stage. Plus I have some news for you." She seemed excited. I wonder if it has something to do with that crush of hers. "You were amazing out there by the way." she gave me a pat on the back for my hard work.

 

"Well, I guess my practice paid off." I say. "So what news do you have for me? Does it have to do with that crush of yours?"

 

"Love of my life," She corrected me.

 

I laughed. "Love of your life." I say with the same conviction she had. "Did she like the gift? Did you get rejected?"

 

"Yah! Have some faith in me will you! I didn’t get rejected." She pouted. To think this is the same y charismatic Kwon Yuri in front of me. All I see is a love sick dork.  "For your information, I think she liked it because she texted me and said we should hang out again."

 

"So you were friend-zoned?" I laughed.

 

"No." She rolled her eyes at me.

 

"She asked you to hang out. Hanging out and going on a date is different."

 

"We're definitely not just friends. At least that's what I think."

 

I looked at her with furrowed brows, "You think? What led you to think that?"

 

"Well she didn't react badly when I kissed her."

 

"You kissed her?!?"

 

"How? I thought she hated your guts!"

 

"I thought so too…but I think after having dinner and a small walk and even on the way back to her office she must have warmed up to me." She says.

 

I looked at her with disbelief, "But even so…If I that were me and you kissed me you probably would've gotten a slap from me. Did you force yourself on her."

 

"Yah! I'm not a some who forces themselves on to someone. Come on, I have class."

 

"Ok then explain to me then how…"

 

"Well, I walked her back to the entrance of her office and I gave her the signed album. She was about to open it, but I asked her to open the gift after I leave. That's when I started making my move…I was honest with her about my reputation and acknowledged her initial impression of me. Then I confessed to her…one thing led to another and I leaned in and kissed her. I was prepared for the worst, but she didn't have a reaction… I also kissed her on the cheek before leaving…"

 

"She was probably stunned  by your sudden confession. I mean if someone told me they love me I'd be stunned too especially if it was so sudden."

 

"Maybe…" She says. "The point is she's giving me a chance. Taeng she's finally giving me a chance." I could see happiness in Yuri's eyes when she said the love of her life is giving her a chance. It reminds me of the time when I asked SooYeon to give me a chance.

 

~*~

 

"I think I like you SooYeon." I say out of the blue. We were walking to the bus stop after finishing another joint vocal lesson. I had my bike with me today, but that didn't mean I couldn't wait with her until her bus came. So we waited and I parked my bike nearby with a lock. Ever since we performed at the luncheon SooYeon and I got closer to one another. I call her by her Korean name instead of her English name. I like it. It sounds pretty and matches her beauty. Plus, I like to about i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter