Track 1 ♪

The Break Up Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thursday, M Countdown: Comeback stage – I

 

♪ Song  featured(Click on song): Taeyeon- I (ft. Verbal Jint) ♪

 

Taeyeon: My life is a beauty. Is it? Can I really say my life is a beauty?

 

Bicceulssotneun sky

Pour a light in the sky

Geuaraeseonai I

A kid standing under that sky

Kkumkkudeusi fly

Fly as a dream

My life is a beauty

 

“Kim Taeyeon! Saranghae!” I heard the crowd chant.

 

It’s my first comeback stage since my last album, which released late last year. I did a few collaborations throughout this year while I worked on this album. Finally, It’s time to share it with the fans. This mini album is special to me. I’ve written a handful of songs, but none were good enough to make a cut on an album until now. The company has this ‘vision’ of how my music should sound like. Many of my songs didn't fit that ‘vision.’ A lot of them are dark and sad—at least that's what they said to me. Bottomline is, my songs didn't fit the concept they were going for. So most of my songs were scrapped.

 

For today’s comeback stage, I’ll be performing my title track I—‘I’ happens to also be the title of my mini album. For this album, I collaborated with different composers and producers; I even collaborated with Jintae Oppa. He wasn’t able to make it for the comeback stage. Kanto performed instead.

 

Nan dasitteoolla~

And I come up again

 

“Wooooo! Kim Taeyeon! Saranghae!” The fans cheered as I finished the song.

 

“Kamsahamnida!” I bowed my head. I smiled as I waved to the crowd before I walking off stage.

 

“Woooo! Tae tae! You did great!” Tiffany, or as I sometimes refer to her as T-Manager, flashed her famous eye smile before engulfing me into a hug.

 

I laughed at the sudden contact, “I’m glad you liked the comeback stage."

 

"Ummm, Ppani-ah?”

 

“Hmh?”

 

“You’re crushing me.” I let out a breath of air as soon as she released me.

 

“I’m sorry. I got a little too carried away.” She giggled.

 

“Your fine, it’s alright.” I shrugged with a smile.

 

"So what's on today's schedule?” We walked backstage to a sea of idol groups. Being their Sunbae, the idol groups slowly parted like the red sea as Tiffany and I walked towards my dressing room.

 

"Sunbaenim Chukahaeyo on your comeback!" I heard the groups shout as they bowed out of respect. I bowed back to them acknowledging each and everyone, before I finally reached my dressing room.

 

"I've been working for a while now huh?" I took a seat on the couch. It seems like yesterday I was in their shoes. I was just like them during my rookie days. I used to stand in the halls and bow to my Sunbaes to congratulate them on their performance. Now I’m the Sunbae. I don’t see many of my Sunbaes at music shows anymore. Some have moved on to acting, others retired to a quiet life,but there are still a few in the music industry. It feels weird now that I'm on the top of the seniority pyramid.

 

"Well it's been almost 6 years now since your debut right?" Tiffany replied. "To say you've been working for a while would be an understatement."

 

"Right." It really has been 6 years since I debuted. Time surely flies.

 

"To answer your question earlier, today's schedule is as followed: you'll be on Shinyoung Unnie's radio show for your comeback promotions, then afterwards you have a photo shoot with Elle magazine and CF filming after that.

 

"So are you basically saying I'll have a full day ahead of me?" I laughed.

 

"Pretty much!" She smiled. "But it's expected after a comeback." Tiffany was right. The busiest times of the year are usually when I make a comeback & during holidays & the awards season.

 

"Alright. Let me change and we'll get going." I stood up and walked over to my duffle bag to get my change of clothes.

 

"I-I'll get the van." Tiffany hastily grabbed her bag and walked out.

 

"Ok see you in a bit.”

~*~

 

"Welcome back everyone, and to those just tuning in, you just heard Taeyeon's title track 'I' which comes from her Mini Album of the same title that just came out today. I'm here with Taeyeon-ssi herself. Everyone let's welcome back Taeyeon-ssi." Shinyoung Unnie clapped.

 

"Ah, Dae. Annyeonghaseyo. Taeyeon Imnida." I bowed my head to no one in particular.

 

"Wah, Taeyeon-ssi we just heard your title track. It's amazing. I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the album as well. Thank you for bringing me a copy." We were live on Shinyoung Unnie’s radio show. " Also, Thank you for choosing us as your first show to guest on for your comeback."

 

"Thank you. It's my pleasure." I bowed my head again out of respect.

 

"So I'm looking at the photo book and it says here you had special participation in this album. Please talk more about it."

 

"Ah, yes. For this Mini album, I worked closely with the composers and producers to bring songs that I think the public can relate to—songs I hope fans will like just as much as I do. I hope that everyone enjoys each song and gives it love."

 

"Now I'll definitely listen to the album right after this." Shinyoung Unnie chuckles. "You mentioned you worked closely with composers and producers for each song, can we assume each song has some essence of your life in it? Also, out of all the songs on the album which would you recommend our listeners to listen to? I think we'll be able to play it today."

 

"To answer your first question, I'd like to think that all my songs have some essence of myself in them. Some songs may not be directly about my life, but it can be related to the lives of others around me. I guess a solid answer would be yes." I replied. "As for a song recommendation, apart from the title track 'I,' my favorite track from this album is called Gemini(쌍둥이자리). It has this wintery feel to it. This was actually the first song I received for this album."

 

"Alright everyone, we'll be listening you Taeyeon-ssi's favorite track. Gemini."

 

♪ Song  featured(Click on song): Taeyeon-Gemini(쌍둥이자리) ♪

 

 

Ooooooo ooo~ Yeah~

 

Eotteon mareul haeya halkka

What words should I say?

Eotteon saenggak soge

What thoughts are you

Geuri jamgyeoinneunji

Immersed in like that?

Yeogi nameun neowa na~

You and I remain here ~

 

"Welcome back everyone. Hello to those who just tuned in, We just finished listening to Taeyeon-ssi's favorite track off her new Mini Album 'I' titled Gemini(쌍둥이자리), We're here in the studio with Taeyeon-ssi. Taeyeon-ssi, The song we just listened to was Gemini; can you give us a back-story? Why is it called Gemini?"

 

"Sure. When I first received this song, I wondered why this song was titled Gemini and not Pisces. I'm actually a Pisces." I laughed mid sentence. "Gemini is about lovers who were close like twins and who loved each other so much but had to break up. The lyrics are about heart-breaking love. It feels like a distant memory. When I sang the song, I tried to make my voice more feminine like—a girl who misses her ex lover. When I received this song, I fell in love with it. I was impressed by the song."

 

"Wow! What an interesting back story. Does this song remind you of someone? A past lover perhaps? Is that why this is your favorite track?"

 

I paused to think for a moment before responding. I hadn't really thought about it until now. Could be a reason…

 

“I think it's better if we break up."

 

"What are you saying?"

 

"Taeyeon, I'm breaking up with you."

 

Shinyoung Unnie could sense my hesitation and elaborated, "How about this? Has Taeyeon-ssi dated before? By the looks of it, you look unsure of your answer."

 

I sighed inwardly. I might as well admit it. My past isn't something I should be ashamed of. "Yes."

 

"To which question?"

 

"Both." I answered honestly.

 

"Wow, very honest. I like that." Shinyoung Unnie says with enthusiasm. "Many Idols would deny such claims, but you're being very honest about this. May I ask why?"

 

"I think my sharing a part of my past isn't something I should be ashamed of. At one point I lived through that experience—it was very much a part of my life. Though things ended the way it did, I can say that it was a period in my life when I really felt love and happiness. Also, I've moved on from this experience." I felt a knot in my throat—it was difficult for me to admit to moving on.

 

Have I really moved on?

 

"Also, I think if others were to hear my story maybe it could help

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter