Chapter Fifteen

I'm Yours

 

Papa YG handed sealed envelopes to Jinu and Sean and said, "That envelope contains our contender’s profile. But I assume you won't really need that. Like I told you, he is someone you already know." The duo took the envelopes with a bewildered look and Sean said, “But why won’t he just wait for the dating ban to be over? If he does, he won’t have to take the five-stage test.”

 

“He must have been so smitten with Dara.” Jinu said with awe. “He’s trying to beat all those other boys.”

 

Papa YG and Sean laughed. That could also be true. Once the dating ban is over, YGE’s phone lines will be busy with calls coming from suitors of Bom and Dara. The guy was definitely on an advantage if he managed to pass the test before the dating ban is over. Jinu warily opened the enveloped and let out a loud ‘Woah’ when he scanned the documents enclosed. Sean readily opened his, and was equally shocked when he saw the reason why Jinu was surprised. While Sean was still staring wide-eyed at the suitor’s picture and profile, Jinu turned to Papa YG and said, “You’ve got to be kidding, Ssajangnim.”

 

“Yeah,” said Sean. “Either that, or you gave the wrong envelope.”

 

“Hah! I wish, but that is the right envelope. I warned you that you already know him.” Papa YG said.

 

Jinu ran his hand on his hair and said, “This is definitely a surprise. Why did you allow him to take the test?”

 

“Because I’ve got to admit that he will look good with Dara. I’m not blind, you know. There is something with them I can’t quite explain. And I’m pretty sure Dara will accept this guy; he fits almost perfectly with her ‘ideal’ type.” explained Papa YG. There’s just one thing that has been bothering Papa YG ever since he allowed the guy to take the test and Sean voiced it out for him.

 

“The problem is that they are both big celebrities. It will be very hard for them to keep their privacy. And at Dara’s age, I’m sure all she wants to do is to date freely, the type where she can tell the world that she is going steady with someone. I just don’t see the possibility of them going out together in public without getting mobbed. And I know that I sound like an overprotective brother right now, but I’m not in favor of this. I’m sorry, but I think that this is a terrible idea. They’ll only end up being hurt.”

 

Jinu laughed wryly and said, “Aren’t you speaking a little too prematurely? It worked for you and Hye Young, didn’t it? Seven and Han Byul made it too. How is it different with him and Dara?”

 

“Hye Young and I were not as big celebrities as they are. Seven and Han Byul also had to keep their relationship secret for a long while. Dara will be turning 29 this year. Do you think she can wait that long just to tell everybody that she is dating him? Also the number of his fans is massive. And some of them could get very scary.”

 

Jinu and Sean both fell silent for a long time. Tension filled the air as the duo expressed their different ideas about the matter. Jinu turned to Papa YG and asked, “What do you think, Sssajangnim?”

 

“I think you both have strong points,” Papa YG said after he drew a deep sigh. “I also had the same worries when he told me he wanted to court Dara. To be honest, I even got angry and raised my voice at him, but he looked at me like what I was doing won’t make him back out or change his mind in any way.” Papa YG paused for awhile. He smiled as he looked at Jinu and Sean and said, “And do you know what he said to me? ‘If I have to sacrifice everything, I would. Even my career.’”

“He said that?! He’s in a group! What about his co-members? Do they know what he’s trying to do?” Sean said. It somehow infuriated him that the guy made a selfish decision. It didn’t even matter to him anymore if the kid is close to him. That is just plain selfish, Sean thought.

 

Papa YG shook his head and said, “No. Part of taking the test is secrecy. You may never divulge any information about this test or the fact that you are taking it. That way, we protect the privacy of the concerned parties.” Sean’s face softened after Papa YG told them the reason why the suitor has not informed anyone, including his friends. So he had his reasons, he thought.

 

Even Jinu felt a bit enraged about the guy’s decision to leave his group if worse comes to worst, but he thought that the guy must also be having a hard time. Jinu had known the kid for a long time and has watched him grow to be a promising idol. He and his co-members have been his friends and at the same time, his brothers, during their training period. Jinu just wished there could be another way for the suitor to keep his career, friends and girl at the same time.

 

“The second part of the test will be an observation and interview phase from YG artists. The contender must be able to pass in 75% of the interviews.” Papa YG said. “You two will be the first ones to conduct the interview. You will be meeting him tomorrow in the afternoon.” He mentioned the room where they’ll be conducting the interview and the specific time before he continued. “You can ask whatever you want during the two-day period and assessment must be passed at the end of the day. It’s important to be objective on this, and that means that even if you know or are even close with him, you must be free of bias when you make the decision. ”

 

“Do the others know already?” Jinu asked. Papa YG nodded and said, “Only the veterans. But you two, PSY and Tablo are the only ones who know exactly who he is. I trust you to not let others know. Big Bang and 2NE1 still don’t have a heads-up about this.” PSY and Tablo will be the next ones to do the interview to the mystery suitor.

 

Papa YG spent a few minutes giving instructions and pointers at the duo and after that, Jinu and Sean went to their dressing room. Sean sighed deeply when they arrived and turned to Jinu. “That conversation exhausted me. It’s like we rapped nonstop.” he said.

 

Jinu let out a laugh and said, “Yeah, I have that feeling too.” He poured them both a drink and handed one to Sean. “So what do we do now?”

 

“I don’t know. Give him a chance, I guess. This kid is still someone close to us. It just annoyed me because he knows that one of his co-members is head over heels with Dara and yet he decided to pursue her.” Sean said. “Yet, I’ve got to admire him. He waited for three years since their debut to tell her how he feels. He’s not that careless to make a scandal. I’ve got to give him a point in that.”

 

Jinu laughed and they finished their drink before they went back to the recording studio. On the hallway, they bumped into Tablo who was very ecstatic about the news. “Isn’t it great? He’ll be the second one to take the test! ” Tablo said. Tablo took the test to marry Kang Hye-Jeong but the test was minimized to only three stages instead of five because at that time, he was already engaged to her. That test also landed him the contract with YGE. It seemed to the duo that Tablo was in favor of the suitor. Tablo explained that he thinks that the guy will suit Dara, although he was also worried about the impact of their relationship to those who are around them. “But if they really love each other, it won’t change a thing. And those around them should also be happy for them. Love is a wonderful thing.” Tablo said as he left. Jinu and Sean laughed at Tablo and his last statement. The YG family has different points of view about this issue and they could not wait to have an interesting conversation with the suitor tomorrow.



 

Meanwhile, TOP and Daesung had already arrived at the hospital to visit Jiyong. Daesung announced that they got a three-day break from shooting because the blizzard has ruined a part of the set. “It was unfortunate but I’m glad we got a break. It was crazy cold there.” Daesung said. Jiyong let out a laugh which gave him another cough attack. He was back to normal except for slight coughing. The doctor had already made a prescription and Jiyong will be released in a few hours.

 

TOP sat beside Seungri and said, “How about we hang out and have a mini-party tomorrow at the dorm?” Seungri shook his head and said, “I’ve got an interview tomorrow afternoon.” Taeyang and the rest of the gang looked at him warily.

 

“Why are you looking at me that way?” Seungri asked. He finally got the message the stares of his hyungs were saying and said exasperatedly, “Don’t worry. I won’t say things that are not true.”

 

Everybody laughed and TOP said, “How can we not worry? Everything about you is worrisome.” This sent another round of laughter from the guys. Jiyong said the same when Seungri was on the talk show ‘Taxi’.

 

Seungri felt like the rest of Big Bang were picking on him on purpose so he said, “Ya! What have I ever done to all of you? In interviews, if the hosts are asking you to describe me, you always say ‘We get very nervous when he goes on talk shows.’ or ‘He doesn’t have control in his words. He’s a blabbermouth.’ You could have picked another adjective such as ‘funny’ or ‘charming’ but you always say that I worry you a lot!” But at the end of his sentence, he realized that his hyungs were right. “Aisht, actually, I think you’re right!” he said.

 

Everyone laughed and stopped immediately when they realized that they were in a hospital and not at their dorm. “I am not available tomorrow afternoon. I’ve got to meet up with Sean-hyung at the headquarters.” Taeyang said. “YG-hyung also told Jiyong to come there in the afternoon.”

 

Daesung frowned and said, “So we’ll be there alone preparing?! Ah, that’s not fair.” Taeyang, Seungri, and Jiyong laughed and assured them that they will be in time for the party. TOP turned to Daesung and said, “We can always ask the 2NE1 girls to help us out.”

 

They spent the time talking about what the party theme will be and continued the conversation in the car when Jiyong was finally discharged from the hospital. From the hospital, they went straight to their dorm and finally rested.



 

Meanwhile, at MBLAQ’s dorm, the boys are also enjoying their free time. Their promotions for their other single will be starting next week and that meant another week of intense rehearsals and show appearances. They were given a rest for two days by JYP and they were very grateful for it. They were lounging on the living room when Seungho suggested that they have a video game marathon on the next day. Everybody agreed except for Joon. “I’ll be busy tomorrow afternoon.” he said.

 

Mir looked at him and said, “Eh? It’s our day-off.”

 

“I know, but I’ve already made an appointment. It’ll be rude to cancel it.” Joon replied.

Thunder scoffed and said, “Whatever, hyung. You’ll be missing all the fun then.” Joon compromised with them and said that he’ll be back as soon as the appointment is over. This is it. Joon thought. He was highly anticipating about his appointment and was not really listening when the boys chatted about the games they’ll be playing.



 

After the meeting with JYP, Wooyoung and Taecyeon went straight to their dorm. Wooyoung turned to Taecyeon and said, “Will we be practicing tomorrow, hyung? We haven’t had a formal practice before.”

 

“Yeah, but I’ll be gone in the afternoon.” Taecyeon said. Wooyoung was surprised because he thought they’ll all be free tomorrow. “Where will you be?” Wooyoung asked.

 

Taecyeon refused to answer Wooyoung’s question and went on fiddling with his phone. Wooyoung tried many times but the only answer he got was, “I’ll be in an interview tomorrow. I just can’t tell you what for.”