Effect of Changes

The Coldest Place Out There

 

Following successful tours and promotions in the past few years, EXO has been in hiatus for months now. It was a much needed break for the boys: a chance to grow and explore some innate talents of their own and a chance to spend time with people they love.

 

A few members, like Kyungsoo and Yixing, were casted for drama and movie projects while some chose to stay away from work and media as much as possible, spending their breaks with their families. Magazine photoshoot offers were also thrown here and there for the group, so when an offer surprisingly matched with his preferred schedule, Jongin seized the opportunity to accept it.


He needed something to relax his now worn out thinking. He doesn't want the people around him, especially s and friends, to notice anything peculiar of his routine, to have any doubts on him. He wanted to stay as normal as possible, if that's even a valid justification.


He would be doing the shoot with an international female model, and the concept for the month's issue requires intimacy. She is taking the lead at first, and he was surprised at the professionalism showed by his partner. Egoisitic as he is, he just couldn't let her take over him like this. He then decided to match her intensity, letting every hesitant thought in his body go, just allowing his natural instincts flow, officially taking the lead for the rest of the y, intimate, shoot.


He was commended by the director at the end of the shoot, uttering praises on how well he matched the month's concept, on how aesthetic the photos turned out, and how good he was on working with someone he just met. He was given more offers at the end of the shoot, with him unofficially declining all by saying he'll think about them more.


The shoot was officially done by 9 pm, and Jongin is now free to be wherever he wanted to go. He dropped by a chicken restaurant to satisfy his cravings before jogging his way off to a small, nearby cafè. He's dressed in black from head to toe, arguably in full disguise, but he realized this is not an assurance that nobody could recognize him in this state. He is not in need of another crazy encounter with highly obsessed fans, mainly because of his unexplainable exhaustion, so he decided to leave a few minutes after.


He needed a place where he could zone out and think about things nobody, even him, could understand.


And there's only one place in Seoul he could think of.

 

 

 


***********

 

 

 

Red Velvet's comeback is just around the corner, so everyone in charge has been very busy, suggesting final changes in performance choreography and showmanship, doing last minute revisions in the upcoming concept's attire. Some changes in the music video editing were also done, as per suggestion of the directors. They decided to pursue concepts much alike Be Natural and Automatic for the girls, realizing such concepts create the opportunity for the girls to unleash what performing abilities they have within, thus, the birth of this comeback's concept. They will be performing onstage with a male dancer as a partner, a decision made by the choreographer to further intensify the strength given by the concept. To this the girls pretty much don't have anything to say, since it has been formally decided upon by the management before they were even informed. The first version draft of the music video will be shown to the members first time tonight, after their supposedly final revision rehearsal.


But one member, the least likely one, is still having some difficulties.


"And stop! Stop right there!" their choreographer exclaimed, startling the girls.


"We have this rehearsed a lot of times," he paused briefly, hissing the last few words, "But I don't understand why one of you still," he started walking towards her position, "Couldn't get the hang of it?" he stopped a step away from Seulgi's face, eyes not leaving hers.


"I have asked you this so many times, do we have a problem? And if there is, do you even think of telling us? Me, for that matter?"


"The-there isn't. I'm fine. I was j-just confused for a bit." Seulgi stuttered a bit.


"May I inform you that there is no time for confusion at this point. Get yourself together." He whispered to her left ear before turning his attention to the rest, screaming, "Everyone let's start from the top!"


Seulgi found her place almost immediately, determined not to make any mistake from now on just to get through the night. She was greeted by reassuring glances and smiles from her members, somehow lifting the heavy weight formed in her chest.


Her ordeal began once more when the music she'll have to appreciate for the coming weeks started to fill the almost suffocating room.

 

 


**********

 

 

 

The rehearsal ended around 12:30 in the morning, the exhaustion clearly visible in everyone's face. Seulgi asked for permission to stay for a little while, arguing with her manger that there is a need for her to practice just a little bit more, for the sake of her members. She insisted that she has learned how to be considerate, that she's just getting used to the choreography and it will be useless if she'd stop now. After a minute of continuous debate, her manager surrendered to her stubborn but on point rebuttals but strictly reminded her that he'll be back by 2 AM to pick her up and drive her home.


She waved goodbye at her members, their faces showing signs of worry, but she gave them a reassuring smile and mouthed "I'll be fine". She waited until she was finally alone in the practice room, and that's when she started rehearsing on her own.


She's doing a good job, as far as she can tell. But she can only do so alone. She knew what was wrong, but she cannot just tell their choreographer that, especially when they are so near their performance stage.


Or she didn't have the courage to tell him ever since their first rehearsal day.


She did another rundown, in order to fully master the choreography. Beads of sweat were again forming on her forehead, the first signs of exhaustion.

 

"You know, your choreography isn't that hard."


The voice can only belong to the only person who keeps on intruding her personal space and asserting things that way.


"You kept your promise well. By appearing out of nowhere, I mean." Seulgi replied, facing Jongin.


"I have observed that it is definitely your habit. Evading questions you must answer, I mean. Like your choreographer's simple question, "Do we have a problem?'' The obvious answer for you is yes, but you cannot say so." Jongin retorted.

 

"Like it is your business. What do you want?" Seulgi challenged, arms crossed.


"I think I know what is your problem. So I guess the more appropriate question is, 'What do you want?'" Jongin replied, challenging back, crossing his arms as well.


"I just want to get through with all of this, then proceed to our plan. Is that what you want to hear from me?"


"No. Not at all." 


"Then what?"


"I need help."


Nobody dared to speak after that, leaving the room silent with only both of their nervous, shaky, breaths heard.


When Seulgi still didn't speak after a minute, Jongin decided to move and  lessen their distance from each other. He positioned himself at Seulgi's right, imitating the male dancer's position.


"Wh-what are you trying to do?" Seulgi stammered at Jongin's sudden move.


His left hand seemed to be searching for something, and when it found hers on the other side, he fully intertwined their hands together. His cold skin was met by another cold one, but weird as it is, their touch seemed to be burning invisible holes around his palm.


He leaned in closer while slowly angling his face directly above hers. Their noses were just a few centimeters from touching when their eyes finally met, exactly what Jongin was waiting for. He made a playful smile, hissing under his breath, "This," he paused to make a serious face,

 

"...is how you make Seulgi feel awkward."


Jongin smiled once more before pulling away. "Your choreography requires that kind of intimacy, but I guess you aren't used to experiencing those. The reason why you couldn't dance as well as you should be doing. And your partner's one hell of a to never even notice that." 


Seulgi's mouth was wide open in shock, unsure of how to react to whatever truth the man in front of her has proclaimed.


"I understand why you can't tell your choreographer, too. He'd be using reasons like, "Why can your members do it and you can't?" "Act like a professional then!" People like them always tend to disregard individuality. And it feels like crap to be treated that way."


 "I find it hard to believe that out of all people, it is you who noticed and understood how I felt." Seulgi replied.


"I do care about the people around me. In case you haven't noticed." he smirked. He made his way closer to Seulgi again, the same way he did earlier.


"Wh-what is this-"


But Seulgi's protests were cut short when Jongin positioned himself at her right once more, only difference was his body was angled differently from before.


He reached for her hand as well, just like earlier, but she was surprised because instead of fully intertwining his hand with hers, just like what her original partner always does, he shifted the weight of his hand on her wrists, the tips of his fingers merely brushing her palm.


He leaned in closer slowly, but not lowering down his head directly above hers, like what he did earlier, not allowing their gazes to meet. Instead, he positioned his head side ways, his jaw brushing for a mere second with her cheek. She could feel his lips so close to her ear, and she swore she felt his hot breath draw lines of fire at the side of her neck when he whispered,


"This,"


 ...is how you make Seulgi comfortable."


Seulgi didn't know how it was possible for everything to change so drastically, by merely changing little angles in their dancing positions, but at that moment, she knew that her heart changed its beating pattern.


"Let's finish rehearsing while you're still comfortable, shall we?" Jongin pulled back, asking Seulgi with utmost sincerity.


"Sure." Seulgi replied, smiling.


An hour of brushing skins, freezing touches and burning gazes passed when Seulgi received a call from her manager, immediately knowing that she has to leave.


She felt uneasy saying goodbye to her not just secret-suicide partner but new secret-rehearsal-dance partner as well.


"I...I owe you something from this. Anyway, thanks. I need to go. Manager's waiting for me." She tried to give him a warm smile, but realized it must have looked a little weird.


"You know how to say 'Thanks' now. You're quite improving, Seulgi." He returned a smile, cleared his throat for a moment before continuing,

"About you owing me this. I already have an arguable payment in mind."


Seulgi arched her eyebrow in inquiry.


"How about visiting one possible death place for us both? It's not too far from here." He grinned, obviously proud of his suggestion.


"That sounds...incredible." Seulgi replied.


Jongin watched her leave the room before stepping out for himself, heading to the rooftop alone. He saw a glimpse of her figure as she went in her manager's van and thought how interesting his life has been ever since his first encounter with that girl.

 

 


*************

 

 

Author's note

I apologize for keeping you wait. I swear I wanted to post an update, but time won't let me do so. It has been a very tough week. I just got through my Calculus exam today and I am still grieving for my Chemistry exam score.
It's so hard to write when things like these are bothering me. I hope you understand.
Anyway, how was this chapter?
I apologize in advance for any typographical/grammatical error, I didn't have time to proofread this.
By the way I am not a writing major and my degree is not anything close to writing so I apologize if my writing . I just do it because I love it. Ha!
So yeah, enjoy yourselves everyone while I drown myself into solving these damn equations.
See you around! (Basically me saying, "Let's get closer!")

El X