Ugliness

Suspended In Reality

 

Taehyung, as one would say, was an enigma with soft lilac hair and piercing brown eyes. He was also perfect. In every sense possible. With beautifully sculpted features and an accompanying intelligent mind, Taehyung enraptured everyone he met. He had the ability to uncover the corrupt behind perfect smiles, and empathise with the bitter, all whilst being emotionally unaffected. And Hoseok resented him. For being so beautiful, so precious that everyone gravitated towards him, yet, so untainted by ugliness that he didn't realise the power he held. Hoseok hated his laughter, the way it reflected the one he lost a long time ago, and despised how the disappearance of Taehyung’s smile made everyone mourn. Yet, the thing that irritated Hoseok the most was the fact he could find himself in Taehyung’s self-assured eyes. They were a beacon of light.

 

 

Thus, naturally, after five years of no interactions with the said boy, the world decided to him over. It presented him with a ‘Personal Interest Pair Task’ of a 40% weighting, with a certain Kim Taehyung. Hoseok wanted to scream. He wanted to crumple to the floor, and huddle into a weeping mess of puddles and tears. He wanted to grab the sheet of white paper, shove it above a lighter and watch as it dissolved into a million droplets of grey ash. However, he did none of this.

 

 

No, he’d simply turned towards the lilac-haired boy, giving him a wide flash of teeth. He watched as the other returned with a small smile of his own. It was only for a second but Hoseok could see himself recalling Taehyung’s smile, years in the future for it had been so natural, thoughtlessly discarded like the empty packaging of a present. And in an instant Hoseok remembered why Taehyung had annoyed him so much – because Hoseok had always been the receiver of the discarded packaging of the present, never in possession of it.

 

 

Forcing his own grin to radiate the light rays of the sun, Hoseok quickly greeted a quick ‘Hi, I’m Jung Hoseok’ before looping his arms around Taehyung's frame. Taehyung's shoulders tensed. A second passed, and another, until Hoseok found ochre eyes staring into his soul, searching for something important, some spark that hadn’t died with the rest of his brain and Taehyung must have found what he was looking for because his shoulders relaxed. And then Hoseok heard something he never thought he’d hear.

 

 

‘I know who you are, Jung Hoseok.’

 

 

 

 


 

I'm procrastinating bio, help me.